• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

zroid

Banned
I think I've liked all of Nolan's films that I've seen, except for TDKR perhaps. It was just OK.

That said, I don't really buy into the hype machine either? He just makes good, entertaining movies. Inception is probably my favourite. It was a ton of fun. I really enjoyed Interstellar despite being too long and kind of dumb sometimes.

I liked Jonathan Nolan's TV series Person of Interest better than anything his brother has directed though. :D

Cake Boss

Banned
Pretty much how I feel about Nolan, makes entertaining movies that might have some holes but overall they are usually well directed and well acted. Interstallar and The Prestige are my favorites.

Dunkirk looks interesting to me because I'll watch anything that has Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy.

Where's my Peaky Blinders season 4 at?

Snowflake! To be fair, stuff like:

And to include Red's post

..isn't going to go over well anywhere. Saying an acclaimed movie was "boring as hell", full stop, is always going to incite more than invite "a bit of discussion" imo

Give me a call if my post upsets you 555-1697

I was in a bad mood last night and could have definitely made my point better.

I was bored for most of the movie but calling it outright boring was wrong, yeah.

Foggy

If anything, I appreciate Nolan for basically being the only director that has a blank check who isn't afraid to step away from comic books or remakes. Outside of his movies, all big budget films are existing properties being directed by newcomers who are easily coerced into following prodcers' vision.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah he requested it because too many liburels didn't like his shitty views.
I think what sent him over the edge was people criticizing Trump for objectifying Macron's wife and saying it was sexist. Weird hill to die on.

That said...I agreed completely with his larger point. It's hard to contradict the horde.

Foggy

Wasn't FUBAR the guy who didn't like The Cornetto Trilogy? Or am I misremembering things again?

Edgar Wright's movies will have the same delayed fallout as Kevin Smith's movies. Guaranteed. Hyperactive, self-satisfied, pop culture infatuated pap.

Cake Boss

Banned
True that but he's not completely innocent I remember one of his shitty conservative views regarding Black Lives Matter and got pissed I called him out on it.

No love lost here.

Revenant

Looking over the last page of Nolan talk.... saying something/someone is overrated just feels like such lazy criticism and it starts any actual conversation to be had in a condescending manner. It gives this impression of "I don't like thing and others shouldn't like thing either."

Not trying to take a shot at anyone in particular on the last page, just a little annoyed that it feels like a lot of reaction to Music/Movies/etc boils down to

-ITS THE BEST THING EVER
-ITS WORST THING EVER
-Well x was always overrated.

It boils down to either Hyperbole or holier than thou snark and its not really fun to talk about anything when that's where the conversation starts.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Looking over the last page of Nolan talk.... saying something/someone is overrated just feels like such lazy criticism and it starts any actual conversation to be had in a condescending manner. It gives this impression of "I don't like thing and others shouldn't like thing either."

Not trying to take a shot at anyone in particular on the last page, just a little annoyed that it feels like a lot of reaction to Music/Movies/etc boils down to

-ITS THE BEST THING EVER
-ITS WORST THING EVER
-Well x was always overrated.

It boils down to either Hyperbole or holier than thou snark and its not really fun to talk about anything when that's where the conversation starts.

Worst post ever

zroid

Banned
Arvidsson is about to sign the JVR deal, only he's markedly better than JVR, and the cap is higher than it was when JVR signed it

POILEROOOOO

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Aaaaaand Arvy is signed for 7 years, $27.5M.

I don't like the length at all. They're gambling hard on 2016-17 Arvidsson being the norm. If he sinks back into a 3rd line-caliber player, this contract is gonna look incredibly foolish.

Yawnier

Banned
Aaaaaand Arvy is signed for 7 years, $27.5M.

I don't like the length at all. They're gambling hard on 2016-17 Arvidsson being the norm. If he sinks back into a 3rd line-caliber player, this contract is gonna look incredibly foolish.

Good deal. He's my favorite player to watch on the Perds

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Edgar Wright's movies will have the same delayed fallout as Kevin Smith's movies. Guaranteed. Hyperactive, self-satisfied, pop culture infatuated pap.

Hott Fuzz is a masterpiece! It gets better with multiple viewings since most will miss subtle jokes. Kevin Smith has no depth. Visually Baby Driver is great too.

Wait Fubar, aren't you the one with the weird movie taste?

The Armond White of the boards.

Wasn't FUBAR the guy who didn't like The Cornetto Trilogy? Or am I misremembering things again?

Not sure if it is wierd. I prefer blockbusters to the oscar bait stuff most of the time.

Love Shaun of the Dead. Saw Hot Fuzz back when it originally came out on DVD and did not enjoy it at all. I have no desire to watch it again but hey who knows. Kinda like Nolan, I am not a big fan or Wright. Dont outright dislike him but he is 1/3 for me with Shaun/Fuzz/Pilgrim. Havent seen the last part of that trilogy yet. Maybe some time. Baby Driver looks decent though. Might see that in Red Box or whatever.

Directors arent a big draw for me like a lot of people. I know lots of you guys like Nolan or Speilberg or Cameron or whoever but I dont usually see movies because who directs them. Obviously those guys make quality films but I wont see a movie just because they are involved.

That said, there are two directors I will always support and go see opening weekend. Every single time. I am definitely going to get a lot of shit for this but oh well. Snyder and Bay. Entertaining every time. Nonsensical and outright dumb a whole bunch of the time, but always entertaining.

Dont like "slice of life" movies most of the time (Boyhood...Yuck). Dont like movies that exist just to make you sad and/or cry (Every movie my wife enjoys. Nope). And dont really like musicals (though La La Land was surprisingly okay). Almost every other genre possible is represented somewhere in my top-20 movies. I try not to push that on others too much but evidently I have been and that is something I need to work on.

But speaking of movies, I just finished watching Get Out. 5/5 fantastic movie. Highly recommend if you have not watched it yet.

Top Bottom