• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he ends up having a cooler name, I still haven't gotten over how silly it sounds. Perhaps with more context it'd work a bit better? But I've been under the impression that it's a smokescreen alias.

I'm worried for Luke. Unless he's going to use the Force's darkside powers to defend himself, I don't see how he'll fend off The First Order's inevitable assault in the film. We see Rey running with Luke's lightsaber still in her possession towards what I assume is Luke caught by Kylo Ren etc. He's screwed, isn't he?

......... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Wait are you serious? ?_?

You know what, maybe Snoke DID attempt to kill Palpatine? He definitely has battle scars and may be injured enough to make him "vulnerable". Maybe he ran into Vader at one point.

That would definitely add an interesting wrinkle to his relationship with Kylo, given Kylo's obsession with Vader.

Exactly how much does Kylo know about Vader/Anakin anyway? And what does he actually believe? I would assume Luke/Leia/Han would have told him at least a portion of the truth, but I wonder if Snoke has convinced him that Vader never turned back? Is that mentioned in any of the books?

That's Legends (even then, the Sith used synthetic crystals which came up red).

In canon, all kyber crystals are clear naturally. You may have noticed this on Jedha when the Partisans steal the crystals being guarded by the Imperial tank. The change to green, blue, purple, or yellow happens when a Jedi communes with the crystal for the first time. Dark siders force crystals to obey them rather than working with them in harmony, hence they turn red in "pain".

This is also presumably why the central beam of the Death Star superlaser is red before it turns green from the focusing lasers or whatever.

giphy.gif

it was much cooler the other way

also
all the names in Star Wars outside of Leia and Luke are pretty dumb. You just roll with it.
EX:
Han Solo
Boba Fett
Jango Fett
Jabba
Darth(Sidious,Vader, Plaguis, Tyrannis, Maul)
Mace Windu
Kit Fisto
Plo Koon
Obi Wan Kenobi
Chewbacca
Sheev Palpatine
i could go on forever

sphagnum

Banned
That would definitely add an interesting wrinkle to his relationship with Kylo, given Kylo's obsession with Vader.

Exactly how much does Kylo know about Vader/Anakin anyway? And what does he actually believe? I would assume Luke/Leia/Han would have told him at least a portion of the truth, but I wonder if Snoke has convinced him that Vader never turned back? Is that mentioned in any of the books?

He knows everything. He likes Vader and thinks Anakin is a chump.

Yes, in the visual dictionary I believe it says Ben knows he turned good but Snoke convinced him he was tricked by Luke. Something along those lines but the point is, he knows the whole story, just doesn't see it has Vader willingly becoming a good guy.

He knows that Vader turned back, but he considers Vader and Anakin to be seperate people and hates the latter.
Snoke has also had a large influence on Kylo, from when he was a fetus to when he was a child,etc

also yeah having Snoke be Plaguis would be pretty dumb and undermine the emperors power and make him look like a fool

In canon, all kyber crystals are clear naturally. You may have noticed this on Jedha when the Partisans steal the crystals being guarded by the Imperial tank. The change to green, blue, purple, or yellow happens when a Jedi communes with the crystal for the first time. Dark siders force crystals to obey them rather than working with them in harmony, hence they turn red in "pain".

This is also presumably why the central beam of the Death Star superlaser is red before it turns green from the focusing lasers or whatever.
I wonder how they address the inconsistency with the Crystal Crisis on Utapau arc, because the giant-ass crystal in that arc was green. Blame it on the unfinished animation? :p

I wonder how they address the inconsistency with the Crystal Crisis on Utapau arc, because the giant-ass crystal in that arc was green. Blame it on the unfinished animation? :p

the saber construction episode in Clone Wars also has all the crystals blue, which then create blue lightsabers, so uh.

...I think I prefer the legends interpretation on something then. The idea that "red" is inherently linked to pain and evil while the others are linked to goodness and tranquility is a little wonky.

Bwahaha

I wanted him to be Plageuis for a while there but it makes no sense as Palpatine damn near confesses that it was him that killed him in his sleep.

There's hints. Ben calling Snoke "wise" might be a hint. The way he dresses in 8 is similar to Plageius. I don't care who he is, I'm just always going to be amazed this dude waited from the time Jedi were about to fall to the Empire ending. Dec-ades...just to take over as an old fart.

I feel like some of the creative freedom authors have mucks shit up in terms of what's canon honestly

Good.

They have a whole squad to iron all that shit out. Come up with something cool first. Make it fit later.

"Why can Luke all of a sudden throw big ballin'-ass Metsu Hadokens?"
"Because I want him to."
"Alright, we're on it."

the saber construction episode in Clone Wars also has all the crystals blue, which then create blue lightsabers, so uh.

If I recall correctly, within the cave they all seem clear to each of the younglings (lol younglings), except for their crystal. So perhaps they change color as they choose their Jedi within the cave.

There's hints. Ben calling Snoke "wise" might be a hint. The way he dresses in 8 is similar to Plageius. I don't care who he is, I'm just always going to be amazed this dude waited from the time Jedi were about to fall to the Empire ending. Dec-ades...just to take over as an old fart.

Nah, wise is just a universal word, just because they called him "the Wise" doesn't really mean anything IMO, that word is in SW quite a bit lol

But yeah when Sheev is being reflective when he says "Ironic..." you can see in his eyes that he was referring to himself being the one that killed him in his sleep.

...as much as I would dig all this.

I think Lucasfilm is being really smart about the other media though. They're doing new and weird stuff with the force and people's abilities. A lot of concepts were introduced (tying memories to objects, Sith/Jedi artifacts, going into detail with the Kyber crystals, holding the blade of a lightsaber, creatures strongly connected to the force) and I think the purpose is to open people's minds and get them used to the "weird". We're going to see new, different things with the force in the films and these books and shows are a great way for touching on or expanding new concepts.

If I recall correctly, within the cave they all seem clear to each of the younglings (lol younglings), except for their crystal. So perhaps they change color as they choose their Jedi within the cave.
Well, you can see them outside of the cave in one of the later episodes. I think it's more that the kyber Crystals are all blue, and the cave is all blue, so they're hard to find and differentiate between the ice (one kid fucks up because of this)
But later on when they're being boarded by pirates all their crystals are blue when they stick em in the robot, and again all their sabers are blue.

Yeah the Rey Vs Kylo fight is great. I love Kylo's fighting style and the weight these fights have, there's a concussiveness with each strike and it's visually interesting but also not silly.

I think Lucasfilm is being really smart about the other media though. They're doing new and weird stuff with the force and people's abilities. A lot of concepts were introduced (tying memories to objects, Sith/Jedi artifacts, going into detail with the Kyber crystals, holding the blade of a lightsaber, creatures strongly connected to the force) and I think the purpose is to open people's minds and get them used to the "weird". We're going to see new, different things with the force in the films and these books and shows are a great way for touching on or expanding new concepts.

I was super thrilled about Rogue One having damned Whills and Kyber crystals and all that very nerdy shit. You getting the Guardians of the Whills book in a few weeks? I'm pretty eager for that, hoping it's worth a damn though.

Surfinn

I'm all for coming up with new and interesting ideas. I'm just concerned that there will eventually be so much content out there that it's gunna make shit really confusing because there's gunna be so many individual interpretations and creative liberties taken

I'm all for coming up with new and interesting ideas. I'm just concerned that there will eventually be so much content out there that it's gunna make shit really confusing because there's gunna be so many individual interpretations and creative liberties taken
Star Wars EU part 2: Electric boogaloo

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yeah the Rey Vs Kylo fight is great. I love Kylo's fighting style and the weight these fights have, there's a concussiveness with each strike and it's visually interesting but also not silly.

Plus it actually feels like they are trying to kill each other rather than dance.

lol, star wars has no canon

it has less canon than any series ever created

sphagnum

Banned
Good.

They have a whole squad to iron all that shit out. Come up with something cool first. Make it fit later.

"Because I want him to."
"Alright, we're on it."

Just say it's a variation on a kinetite or a reverse tutamini or something.

...I think I prefer the legends interpretation on something then. The idea that "red" is inherently linked to pain and evil while the others are linked to goodness and tranquility is a little wonky.

Yeah, I greatly preferred the Legends explanation for the red coloring of Sith blades. Having them literally be red because they're evil and red is the evil color is so cheesy, lol. The idea that Jedi managed to secure all the major sources of Kyber crystals, forcing the Sith to create crystals of their own made more sense.

I'm guessing they only changed it because they wanted Kyber to almost have a will of its own, but eh.

Is he old? I mean, relative to his species. Could be a Yoda situation. Maybe he's only like 80 and has another 800 years to go, lol.

I'd Kylo kills Luke it will be because Luke lets him, ala Obi Wan or Dumbledore

Definitely. No way Luke goes out unwillingly.

Good.

"Because I want him to."
"Alright, we're on it."

no because the corporate committee already decided what's going to be in the movie, and they clearly hired Rian Johnson specifically to act out their wills

Lmo911

I'm still putting my money on Snoke being a sham. I really want Kylo to go off the deep end when he finds out.

Failed by his father, his mother, both his mentors, and maybe even force ghost Anakin! Just reduce him to complete psychotic rage.

Surfinn

Which is why I like sticking to the main films. I figure if it's important enough, they're gunna include it in the episodes

sphagnum

Banned

That's what the LSG is for. All published materials run through them to make sure it's consistent.

I was super thrilled about Rogue One having damned Whills and Kyber crystals and all that very nerdy shit. You getting the Guardians of the Whills book in a few weeks? I'm pretty eager for that, hoping it's worth a damn though.

Nah, I don't read or watch any of the expanded stuff, it's too much to keep track of so I google the info or read the wikis to them lol. Are they actually making a book on Guardians of the Whills? Because that's a huge deal and will likely introduce ideas/concepts/themes that will be in 8 (I'm assuming).

I'm interested in the books and stories after 8 comes out because then they can go back and tell us stories with Luke, Ben and Snoke around the time of Luke starting the school.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, I greatly preferred the Legends explanation for the red coloring of Sith blades. Having them literally be red because they're evil and red is the evil color is so cheesy, lol. The idea that Jedi managed to secure all the major sources of Kyber crystals, forcing the Sith to create crystals of their own made more sense.

The Jedi still controlled the kyber crystal locations. The implication is that the Sith kill a Jedi and steal their crystal.

Before going into VII, I was talking with my friend about how I thought the fight would be a really brief thing, maybe cool but not trying to be something huge or the best fight in the series.

Hooooooly shit did we walk outta there laughing our asses off about that one. I love how fast the prequel fights are and I still think the TPM and ROTS fights are superb, but man the setting, colors, cinematography, heft, etc were so great.

I really got the impression that JJ was like okay here's my one and maybe only shot to contribute a saber fight to this series so I better buck up on this.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I want Kylo to try Luke, and instead he doesn't even get a swing in, and Luke just absolutely destroys him.

Then Rey trys to stop him from killing Kylo and its this whole drama. Thatd be sweet

I'm still putting my money on Snoke being a sham. I really want Kylo to go off the deep end when he finds out.

Failed by his father, both his mentors, hell maybe even force ghost Anakin! Just reduce him into complete psychotic rage.
I'd argue that you don't need Snoke to be a sham for that to happen.
Arguably the fact that the force user that slipped out of his hands, using the saber of his grandfather and being trained by his former master might fill him with rage and jealousy.

Surfinn

That's what the LSG is for. All published materials run through them to make sure it's consistent.
There were a lot of differences (not direct contradictions) that bugged me with TFA novel. Actually created some pretty heated arguments here lol

Not a huge deal of course, just more of a personal annoyance of mine

sphagnum

Banned
Nah, I don't read or watch any of the expanded stuff, it's too much to keep track of so I google the info or read the wikis to them lol. Are they actually making a book on Guardians of the Whills? Because that's a huge deal and will likely introduce ideas/concepts/themes that will be in 8 (I'm assuming).

It's a YA novel so I don't expect it to go TOO deep. It's probably really just "Here's Baze and Chirrut's adventure before they met Jyn!"

It's about Chirrut and the Whills from Rogue, but I can't imagine there won't be any interesting details in that.

The Jedi still controlled the kyber crystal locations. The implication is that the Sith kill a Jedi and steal their crystal.

I know. :p I was just stating the prior part as why I like the latter justification. Makes more sense to me than each Sith blade being the result of them nicking a Jedi crystal, screaming "YOU'RE MINE DAMMIT" and then it cries red.

Failed by his father, his mother, both his mentors, and maybe even force ghost Anakin! Just reduce him to complete psychotic rage.

I'd argue that you don't need Snoke to be a sham for that to happen.
Arguably the fact that the force user that slipped out of his hands, using the saber of his grandfather and being trained by his former master might fill him with rage and jealousy.

I think he might be a sham in that he's not so great and powerful anymore, just wants to see his version of the Empire completely succeed (getting rid of the Republic and Luke). My gut says Ben will kill him in a fit of rage.

But I never thought about that. Former teacher training someone powerful with Anakin's lightsaber...he is going to be pure rage lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom