• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON: God abandons PS4 as The Great Flood wipes out Sony HQ [Up: Reveal in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think FCC certification would preclude a spec dump.

I don't either, if anything that would cement the specifications, right?

EDIT: Also, on Sony answering them, the journalists asked for comment and they got it, according to one of the guy's tweets (yes, I know Spanish).

Okay, Bruce, GopherD, anyone, please tell us if this are bad news. I want to embrace for terrible news.

The worst of all is the necessity that Sony has to make statements. I'm glad that the article wasn't published before they were contacted by Sony. But then again, maybe Sony is stalling for 24 hours to see how to spin the potential bad news.

Okay, I'm getting paranoid.

You are getting paranoid. If the news were that bad they would have not waited for a day.

Symthic

Banned
Why would Sony want to make a statement about this issue?

Hoping it's nothing bad.

But the reaction for a downgrade would be oh so sweet. xD
If it's serious news that has to do with the console, then they have to make a statement. They can't just not say anything, let the console launch, and then have hundreds of people upset over whatever it was they didn't announce.

wsippel

Banned
They've already submitted and been approved by the FCC, neither of these things will happen.

Also, there is no GDDR3.
Huh? PS3 uses GDDR3 for example. Also, we know that a PS4 got approved by the FCC, but we don't know what exactly that PS4 was, do we? Does the FCC report available to the public include size, speed and type of RAM?

Perfect translation. very curious as to what has changed or been uncovered

Agreed, I dislike Sony, but I prefer them over MS, so I hope its nothing too bad.

Anyways, tomorrow should be... interesting. Its a friday too, I wonder if thats significant. Oftently news stories that are unfavorable break on a Friday to try to distract the public.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony would not publish a statement on any spec downgrade. That doesn't really make sense. It doesn't even necessarily need to be made public. They didn't issue a statement when the Rsx was down clocked.

It's probably going to be nothing. This guy is just fishing for hits. Honestly, if it was something big, it would be splashed on Eurogamer's main website right now and not left up to their Spanish language affiliate to wait for Sony.

yourmomgoestocollegepsu3l.gif

oh yeah. Send the news

~~Hasan~~

Chances of a downgrade are slim to none, too late for that, its most likely a supply issue

Which will affect Europe more than anyone if history is any indication

supply issue of 8GIG Ram ?

I don't think so.

but never less, ps4 is region free and I pre ordered mine from amazon 10 minutes after it went up. but I honestly think its something related to downgrade.

So it looks like nothing about the PS4's specs are changing, but something about it is about to sound less impressive, and lessens the power gap with the Xbone. That's my takeaway based on the tweets.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want to tweet this guy, but I don't want to make an ass out of myself because my Spanish isn't that great.

Zoator

Why does it makes sense then?

Basically there are three ways they would logically split the RAM between games and OS: 5/3, 6/2, and 7/1. Given the rest of the hardware in the system, what difference would we expect in games with 5GB vs. 7GB? You would see some minor improvements if developers were really pushing the system, but little else. Basically you reach diminishing returns going from 5->7 given the performance of the PS4's GPU. However, you can buy yourself a lot more in the way of system level features if you choose to put that memory towards the OS. Things like multitasking, instant switching between games and apps, suspending state of games and apps simultaneously, cross game social features, etc.

Given that we know Microsoft has opted for a 5/3 split, it would make sense for Sony to ensure that their system is capable of competing on the system features level, considering they will already enjoy superior graphical performance due to the GPU and memory speed. Also consider that while Sony could always change that ratio in favor of games in the future (as they have with the PS3), they could never go in the opposite direction.

I should say I don't expect that this announcement is related to this particular issue -- I was just responding to another poster.

Some of these comments are unreal.

Downgrading from DDR5 to DDR3.
(It's not that simple, that's a whole system change, you have to change the motherboard and how things interface)

6 GB of DDR3?
(Again not going to happen. If 3GB single sticks existed this would be a possiblity. To gain from dual-memory the only possibility is adding more sticks, which would cost more, and the mother board would need redesigned.

4 GB of DDR5?
This is possible, seems stupid considering they made a big deal about 8GB we would of heard developers (moaning) by now.

DDR5 downclock?
Possible

Shortage?
Currently there is a surplus. The reason DDR5 became so cheap is because of this. I really doubt this is it.

OS using more memory?
Possible

androvsky

I don't think FCC certification would preclude a spec dump.
Part of the FCC specification included the highest clock frequency in the system, which coincides with the expected clock of the GDDR5.

My guess it's a site just learning about the 20 GBps bandwidth to the CPU.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony would not make a statement about os ram allocation. They have never even commented on current usage. Come on guys.

VanWinkle

According to his latest tweet, they aren't "Making a statement" as in publishing an official statement, but rather they are making statements/saying something about it.

Whatever that means.

Cuyejo

M0ILU1r.png

Well, this tweet does seem to indicate a downgrade of sorts, or at least an indication that the specs we expected aren't what they really are.

Odrion

Banned
Maybe it's the amount of Ram the PS4 uses?

I dunno, this is exciting. Oh man. Usually you get this drama from an election.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally, some bad PS4 news lol

Or maybe not bad but the PS4 has been on such a good roll that I guess something bad had to be said.

It's probably going to be nothing. This guy is just fishing for hits. Honestly, if it was something big, it would be splashed on Eurogamer's main website right now and not left up to their Spanish language affiliate to wait for Sony.

Sony would not publish a statement on any spec downgrade. That doesn't really make sense. It doesn't even necessarily need to be made public. They didn't issue a statement when the Rsx was down clocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom