• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Painted Greymon/Taichi figure:
o21v2Iv.jpg
There are also scans floating around of Zubamon's evolutions. The big head on its Adult/Champion(?) form looks weird.

That Taichi/Greymon figure looks gorgeous. I'm just dreading what the price will be. Especially if it winds up being significantly more than Juri/Leomon. And Megahouse is teasing that there will be lots of 20th anniversary stuff this year. My wallet isn't ready.

Also, Agumon will be making an appearance in the Appmon card game, so the streams are officially crossed.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Almost caught up with AppMon!

Ep 18

(Might as well spoiler-tag it for people not yet here...)

-Soooo Pokemon Go made it to Digimon?! Things are almost full-circle here...
-I thought Yuujin had that dark foreshadowing since like, ep 1? He seems ok though, even though this is like the third ep he's been in (some best friend Haru is!)
-They went full out Locomon on this one :p Runaway train? Check. Tentacled Digimon infecting said train? Check.

Almost caught up with AppMon!

Ep 18

(Might as well spoiler-tag it for people not yet here...)

-Soooo Pokemon Go made it to Digimon?! Things are almost full-circle here...
-I thought Yuujin had that dark foreshadowing since like, ep 1? He seems ok though, even though this is like the third ep he's been in (some best friend Haru is!)
-They went full out Locomon on this one :p Runaway train? Check. Tentacled Digimon infecting said train? Check.

I think they're playing the long game with Yuujin. They have to build up his relationship with Haru more before the reveal so that their friendship has more of an impact. (And I think this was like the sixth episode he was in, although he did disappear from Episodes 5-12 entirely).

And if you thought that episode was reminiscent of a movie, just wait until you see 19.

Tusk

A toy catalog for Appmon.

Has some pretty big spoilers for the show, imo. So just gonna link it.

Edit: Actually, is a toy catalog even okay to post? I know video game scans aren't. Guess I'll remove it for now just incase.

What the catalog had in it though was
The Appli Driver being upgraded into a new type, and Yuujin having one with Offmon as his partner

A toy catalog for Appmon.

Has some pretty big spoilers for the show, imo. So just gonna link it.

Edit: Actually, is a toy catalog even okay to post? I know video game scans aren't. Guess I'll remove it for now just incase.

What the catalog had in it though was
The Appli Driver being upgraded into a new type, and Yuujin having one with Offmon as his partner

Wow, that's pretty big.
I saw that Offmon's Ultimate grade form was getting a toy, so I guess that's why. I wonder if Yuujin is the mysterious Appli Driver that we've seen a couple of times so far?

Got to episode 18 of Appmon. It looks like 19 hasn't been subbed yet... bah.

I've got to say, watching them back-to-back made the "Haaaaruuuuuu" plot weird. Like, it takes two episodes for Haru to remember to tell someone. It makes me wonder if they tacked that on to the end of the episode for a cliffhanger.

Anyway, digiconsumer fun times!

Amazon US currently has the Tri Reunion Blu-ray/DVD on sale. If you haven't preordered already and want it, this is probably a good time.

Sakuyamon figure:
Digimon Tamers: DIGIMON PRECIOUS MODEL Sakuyamon
Premium Bandai Exclusive[?]
Price: 4,298 yen
Pre-Orders Open: February 27th, 2017

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It always bothered me Gallantmon and MechaGargomon got CGI evolutions and Sakuyamon didn't---the Digimon glass ceiling.

It always bothered me Gallantmon and MechaGargomon got CGI evolutions and Sakuyamon didn't---the Digimon glass ceiling.

I believe I read somewhere that Sakuymon (and Taomon) had a reason for being 2D animated. Something about not being able to convey them properly in CGI.

In any case, it aged waaaay better.

I believe I read somewhere that Sakuymon (and Taomon) had a reason for being 2D animated. Something about not being able to convey them properly in CGI.

In any case, it aged waaaay better.

Yeah, having rewatched Tamers pretty recently, Sakuyamon's sequence looks way better than either Dukemon's or SaintGalgomon's.

Stuart444

Well, with part 4 out of the way, here are my thoughts (spoilers for all of part 4 of digimon tri):

The start of the movie was WTF but it was awesome getting to see all 4 sovereigns in Tri rather than just Azulongmon. We now know what Himekawa's end-game is or was since it didn't work out like she thought it would. We still don't know what happened to Gennai but hopefully we will soon.

We also now know that even Digimon who died in the real world are reborn through the reboot (Will we get Wizardmon at some point? That'd be nice).

They've started answering some questions like what Himekawa was trying to do, but we still don't know anything about the 02 kids, I have a feeling we'll find out soon.

My biggest complaint besides how short it was compared to part 3 is Patamon evolving straight to Seraphimon without any drama like with the others. I also wish we got to see more Elecmon.

Plotmon/Salamon was also great in the scenes that she was in, seeing her Puppy Howling being used to get away from Machinedramon/Mugendramon was great.

It was also nice to see Hackmon finally speak.

Overall, I really enjoyed it but it is a step back from part 3 which has easily been the best part so far.

Also that cliffhanger is mean :(

Croc

Banned
is
Gennai's
finger snapping sound the sound from the joycons/Switch? I mean I'm sure it's not exactly the same but that's immediately what I think of every time lol

I'm just about finished with part 3

The start of the movie was great, we got the original digidestined, the sovereigns etc. Then there was the re-bonding part which was great nostalgia. However, the rest really lacked depth, it's just cemented my hunch that there's still funding issues , the random transitions, Seraphimon coming out of nowhere, there was nothing there to signify hope [Magnaangemon&Angemons arcs are some of my favourite,so I am salty] - unless they're going with hurricane touchdown being canon which just opens up a bunch of plot holes which they've been closing with tri. Also, the randomness of which techniques are voiced is dumb as hell. Seraphimon doesn't say anything but phoenixmon and HerculesKabuterimon do?Wargreymon & Metalgarurumon not calling them out is weird as well, it just doesn't build the same hype it should. Hackmon making some movements is great, maybe he's not the Jesmon we saw in the last movie. Also all these distortions opening up gives me hope for Ryo to jump through one, wouldn't milleniumon be revived with the reboot either forcing cyberdramon to de-digivolve or cause a paradox. This movie really didn't answer enough other than Jennai falling to darkness and Himekawa being cliche as hell in looking for her partner,then for some dumb as hell reason being angry it doesn't remember her, I mean you researched this shit for years how can you not expect that this was going to happen, they're p[obably going to use some bland af reason since she's obviously 'crazy' . Honestly, this movie had the most nostalgia and I enjoyed it more than part 3 but it's just making me angrier/sadder that they're not putting their best into making it. The kids being teleported to their respective places also added basically nothing to the movie, I assume they're going off what the original writers left them and just didn't have enough time to fit it all, but there really wasn't any reason to include it. The vilalge of beginnings definitely had something to do with Takeru's hope but there's no way of telling what they wanted to show. If they go with flashbacks in the next movie I don't know how I'll feel about that. This is better than nothing but Tri as a movie series has so far been a bad decision imo. At least we got some detailed environments & Digimon models, Machinedramon and Garudamon looked great.
Edit - also yggdarsil being mentioned so much may mean royal knights, but I don't see how they could being all of them together in the span or two movies

Weird I didn't know Hououmon and Phoenixmon were the same.
Loved the fight against Machinedramon mainly because I finished Digimon World: Next Order with Phoenixmon and Seraphimon.

Weird I didn't know Hououmon and Phoenixmon were the same.
Loved the fight against Machinedramon mainly because I finished Digimon World: Next Order with Phoenixmon and Seraphimon.

Ho-ou is the Japanese word for phoenix, the pokemon Ho-oh is also based on a phoenix.

Also part 5 low quality poster is up
WTF OPHANIMON fall down mode - the title is symbiosis, I think we can see how we get there. Maybe we'll some more DNA Digimon with that title
http://images.withthewill.net/tri_part5_posterLQ_february24_2017.jpg

Meicoomons evolutions are pretty boring if that's its ultimate

That reminds me, tapirmon had like the smallest cameo in the movie but was on the part 4 poster.

Er, yeah, that was pretty weak considering the insanely strong opening. That intro was the kind of stuff I wanted... alas, like everything else in Tri it was bogged down with the writers spinning their wheels.

I apologize to whoever said
Takeru was getting short-changed in the last chapter, because you were right. That was the Seraphimon moment... jeez.

I think Sora
is forever stuck in her lack of character development, which is crazy ironic. Why not address what Piyomon brought up in the last movie? That she never focuses on caring for herself? Not to mention Hououmon's moment is overshadowed by "surprise" Seraphimon

Also, I really don't appreciate evil perv Gennai. >.>

Ho-ou is the Japanese word for phoenix, the pokemon Ho-oh is also based on a phoenix.

Also part 5 low quality poster is up
WTF OPHANIMON fall down mode - the title is symbiosis, I think we can see how we get there. Maybe we'll some more DNA Digimon with that title
http://images.withthewill.net/tri_part5_posterLQ_february24_2017.jpg

Meicoomons evolutions are pretty boring if that's its ultimate

That reminds me, tapirmon had like the smallest cameo in the movie but was on the part 4 poster.

That poster seems pretty intriguing but eh. Tri keeps getting lower and lower on my interest list.

So it looks like this is going to play out a lot like Savers last arc. Meiccomon is the catalyst that's going to open a portal and start the invasion. Gennai's body is likely being controlled by Yggdrasil and making sure the Digidestined don't get in the way.

Okay I’m actually surprised they are completely ignoring shipping stuff. Like, I’m not into that stuff but a lot of people are. I’m shocked, this series felt like opportunity to fanservice fans in that regard but they are barely doing anything. And so I think rest of parts will also have nothing with that.

Anyways the movie was okay. Insane plot powers ahoy. Himekawa was revealed not to be true evil, rather just selfish. I wonder if Yggdrasil will become main baddie or something else.

Really cementing that Tri is just okay series. However, if it has disappointing ending reveal, it could sour the entire Tri series.

UberTag

That was easily the worst of the four .Tri installments... despite what was an amazing opening 10 minutes or so that was some of the best work in the entire saga. Go figure.

The best part about the reboot is that the Sean Bean of the Digiverse, Leomon, can be killed once again.

Okay I'm actually surprised they are completely ignoring shipping stuff. Like, I'm not into that stuff but a lot of people are. I'm shocked, this series felt like opportunity to fanservice fans in that regard but they are barely doing anything. And so I think rest of parts will also have nothing with that.
The only shipping they're invested in is the one-sided crush Gabumon seems to have on Yamato.

MAtgS

is
Gennai's
finger snapping sound the sound from the joycons/Switch? I mean I'm sure it's not exactly the same but that's immediately what I think of every time lol

I'm just about finished with part 3

&
Phoenixmon returning to Yokomon
was totally a poke'ball sound.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts:

So I'm still thoroughly enjoying it :x

-Was neat to see the original 5 Chosen Children, and I sure didn't see it coming with how their partners became the 4 guardians! I always thought they kind of thrown that tidbit into Adventure originally like "oh yeah these Dark Master guys are back! They were defeated once before..." but were never even mentioned previously. I guess that explains it. Definitely explains Himekawa's intentions

-I'm still enjoying the Jou girlfriend jabs. I hope we can actually see her in the last movie. $10 says she's super pretty and no one can believe it :p

-I was amused how a little food just evolved everyone super quickly :p

-Biyomon being pissy was pretty annoying :/ But bashful Gabumon and Yamato-kun. Ah those two! :p

-I also enjoyed how both Taichi and Yamato appeared next to Sora (they might as well have a three-some at some point, knowing how their love triangle works >_>)

-Ah Mugendramon, taking stock sounds of the Jurassic Park t-rex! I think someone else had JP soundboard sounds in the first movie, too.

-So what was that red button thing the camera focused on after Mugendramon's attack? Seemed important, and never referenced later in the movie.

-Of course as tradition, everyone got split up into different areas

-Elecmon and the babies!! <3 Too bad it was a short lived scene...

-Alright, this "Gennai" is pretty creepy :/

-Nice to see Plottmon do something!! (*sigh* dubtitles continue...)

-Suddenly, Seraphimon!! What a surprise!!

-Oh, and Herculeskabuterimon! Right as he evolved, my only thought was "ya know, I bet they were thinking that he barely did anything last movie, and to give him a little bit of action finally now!" I sure don't mind :)

-I totally forgot until mentioned on here that Tapirmon was even on the movie poster :p Well, we sure know why now. Himekawa is overtaken by darkness of course, so yeah she's creepy now too.

So, thoughts on what are to come the next two movies?

-New poster has Meicoomon's Ultimate, so she's going to evolve, and I guess Hikari's light fades with Ophanimon Falldown Mode. Well, there it is guys... Unless she becomes than and then Holydramon, I guess they changed their minds and chose the evolution that made more sense :p Or maybe we will find out this movie that Digimon can have alternate evolutions? That would be interesting... Will Movie 3 even be referenced? Hmm....

-I feel like the 02 kids will be found next movie, something something Dark Ocean, something something last movie will have like, Omegamon-something Mode and maybe even Imperialdramon Paladin Mode on the movie. There is no way they could end this movie without the two groups fighting together! If, only just for a while...

My biggest complaint besides how short it was compared to part 3 is Patamon evolving straight to Seraphimon without any drama like with the others.

I think he had more than enough drama last movie. Only Herculeskabuterimon got to evolve to Ultimate last time, since a lot of us thought that Seraphimon would appear in it too, I'm sure.

Oh, and here's a more clear pic of the new poster on MAL: https://myanimelist.cdn-dena.com/images/anime/6/84430l.jpg

My thoughts:

-So what was that red button thing the camera focused on after Mugendramon's attack? Seemed important, and never referenced later in the movie.

So, thoughts on what are to come the next two movies?

-New poster has Meicoomon's Ultimate, so she's going to evolve, and I guess Hikari's light fades with Ophanimon Falldown Mode. Well, there it is guys... Unless she becomes than and then Holydramon, I guess they changed their minds and chose the evolution that made more sense :p Or maybe we will find out this movie that Digimon can have alternate evolutions? That would be interesting... Will Movie 3 even be referenced? Hmm....

-I feel like the 02 kids will be found next movie, something something Dark Ocean, something something last movie will have like, Omegamon-something Mode and maybe even Imperialdramon Paladin Mode on the movie. There is no way they could end this movie without the two groups fighting together! If, only just for a while...

I think he had more than enough drama last movie. Only Herculeskabuterimon got to evolve to Ultimate last time, since a lot of us thought that Seraphimon would appear in it too, I'm sure.

Oh, and here's a more clear pic of the new poster on MAL: https://myanimelist.cdn-dena.com/images/anime/6/84430l.jpg
I enjoyed the plot revelations of part 4 as well, but just hate the way it's being done & the way Tri si being treated, they're not even hiding the cut scenes anymore.

Pretty sure the red thing is a container of the food Sora brought , it was there to show there's nothing left of the digidestined.

Guessing falldown mode is the evil/infected(meicoomon) digivolution similar to skullgreymon/megidramon. The issue wasn't the lack of drama overall, it was the lack of drama at that point, every time a new evolution has shown up it's been due to it A)Being related to the digidestined's respected crest. B) being a clinch time/imminent danger , B was fulfilled but there was literally nothing by TK to resemble hope and Patamon's one liner wasn't enough to resemble hope.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed the plot revelations of part 4 as well, but just hate the way it's being done & the way Tri si being treated, they're not even hiding the cut scenes anymore.

Pretty sure the red thing is a container of the food Sora brought , it was there to show there's nothing left of the digidestined.

Guessing falldown mode is the evil/infected(meicoomon) digivolution similar to skullgreymon/megidramon. The issue wasn't the lack of drama overall, it was the lack of drama at that point, every time a new evolution has shown up it's been due to it A)Being related to the digidestined's respected crest. B) being a clinch time/imminent danger , B was fulfilled but there was literally nothing by TK to resemble hope and Patamon's one liner wasn't enough to resemble hope.

Oh it was just a food container? Wasn't even really necessary, since clearly they are fine in the next scene :p

It could be that Hikari will force Tailmon's evolution or something, too. I doubt they will all get infected all over again.

I'm still fine with surprise Seraphimon, just due to him being the highlight of last movie, and not getting in on the action. I would have preferred the next movie to have both the holy evolutions happen at the same time, and what can ya do?

I'm still fine with surprise Seraphimon, just due to him being the highlight of last movie, and not getting in on the action. I would have preferred the next movie to have both the holy evolutions happen at the same time, and what can ya do?
Seraphimon should have just been in the previous movie if this is the end of Takeru's arc. His confrontation with Meiko should have been moved earlier, and Seraphimon should have taken HerakleKabuterimon's place at the end. (I don't know where that would put HerakleKabuterimon. Maybe have him appear earlier in the fight and turn bad?)

If this isn't the end of Takeru's arc, they should have put it off. Digivolution is all about catharsis, just nodding and KABAAM makes it boring imo. It's why I hated Shakkoumon's digivolution moment in 02.

I felt sorry for
Machinedramon
at the end.
3 megas (especially Seraphimon) against 1 is overkill

It sucked all of the danger out of the situation, really. There should have just been Hououmon, with the rest of the kids still struggling with digivolution. One-on-one would have made it more interesting of a fight and Hououmon would have actually had time to shine.

If they still wanted to showoff Seraphimon, why not have him face MetalSeadramon?

I swear to god if we don't get figures of the other Mega Evolutions aside from Wargreymon and Metalgarurumon I will riot.
I'm honestly surprised Rosemon hasn't happened yet. I want Hououmon and HerakleKabuterimon...

Lynx_7

I'm gonna be honest and say I didn't enjoy Digimon Tri episode 4 at all. Not even as fanservice, which is sad considering I did enjoy the previous 3 episodes.

Piyomon was acting out of character the whole way through, and her conflict with Sora felt like forced drama just so they could have an excuse to mega evolve her by the end of the episode. That said, a contrived evolution is still better than whatever the hell they were aiming for with Seraphimon. Angemon and Holy Angemon's evolutions felt like legit big events in the original series and here it just kind of happens without much fanfare, build-up or payoff. Probably my single biggest disappointment in the series so far. Yeah I'm salty. :p

Evil Gennai so far looks like a tacky 3rd rate villain from Sword Art Online, he just doesn't belong in Digimon at all. Legit had Sugou flashbacks when he licked Sora's face, wtf. I think it's possible to deconstruct Gennai's character as a villain but Pedo Gennai is definitely not the way to go.

I was fine with Tri's pacing up to episode 3 because it served as a cool reintroduction to the gang and had some nice fanservice to fans of the first season, but by now, halfway through the series, I really wish they would start kicking things into gear. So far Digimon Tri has nothing to show when compared to arcs like Devimon, Myotismon or even Etemon when it comes to setting up a long-therm storyline with emotional stakes and an engaging enemy to look forward to. It feels like a much looser plot all around and I'm kind of losing interest at this point.

Also, I'm really starting to hate Meicoomon. Her contributions to this episode were really grating.

I'm just underwhelmed all around. I hope episode 5 puts things back on track, but considering how formulaic the show has been so far I expect another slow episode with some manufactured
Kari
drama, a few plot threads advancing here and there and an evolution at the last 5 minutes. I want to be proven wrong though, maybe they'll mix things up now that we're approaching the end.

Ledbetter

Just finished part 4. It wasn't that bad, but considering there are just 2 movies left...

My thoughts.

The opening scene was the best part. Seeing the original kids and the way the scene was displayed. Finally we know why Himekawa was doing all of this, although the scene when she gets mad at Tapirmon is weird.

Seraphimon evolution should've happened in part 3 or after (I expected Takeru/Hikari getting ultimate evolutions at the same time). No reason at all to happen here without any reason, like others have commented.

The cliffhanger was just meh. Honestly I haven't cared about Meiko or Meicoomon at all. Also, what the fuck with evil Gennai licking a kid?

Good to hear Keep On again!

I may be too optimistic, but hopefully the next movie is better.
Probably we'll see more about the Dark Ocean.

Jesus it's that time again already @_@ ?!

*goes to watch*

(Midway through the movie)

You know, whatever flaws the current Tri movies have, I can't deny that they're damn good at throwing me unexpected curve balls @_@

(After the movie)

That is the most fucked up cliffhanger of all time... Compatible with the 2nd movie.

Also, anyone expected a full on Tamer moment when
Himekawa starts to go crazy? Like I thought she was going to strangle Tapirmon Evangelion style 0_0

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Every time I'm about to watch Tri. I just change my mind---dunno, just have no interest in it.

They need to get the older series up with some better subs on streaming sites one of these days. I wanna re-watch Frontier and see if any of it is as good as I remember, or if it's all shit just like when Dynasmon and Crusadermon show up.

Top Bottom