• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Every time I'm about to watch Tri. I just change my mind---dunno, just have no interest in it.

They need to get the older series up with some better subs on streaming sites one of these days. I wanna re-watch Frontier and see if any of it is as good as I remember, or if it's all shit just like when Dynasmon and Crusadermon show up.

I originally hated Frontier, but I rewatched it relatively recently and wound up really enjoying it and realizing that I had just not been able to appreciate it back when it was originally airing. The Royal Knight episodes are still a drag, but aside from that I think it has aged really well (the middle chunk of the series from about 20-36 especially). I had also forgotten just how good the show looked. Those backgrounds have aged like fine wine.

Toad.T

Banned
I think that Toei needs to make a "Digimon Room" much like they made a "Dragon Ball Room" for future arcs/OVA's/what have you. It feels like any potential they get, they seemingly squander it.

Or maybe I'm just expecting too much from this series.

Every time I'm about to watch Tri. I just change my mind---dunno, just have no interest in it.

They need to get the older series up with some better subs on streaming sites one of these days. I wanna re-watch Frontier and see if any of it is as good as I remember, or if it's all shit just like when Dynasmon and Crusadermon show up.

I feel bad for Frontier. It feels like Tamers and Savers benefited a lot from hindsight, but Frontier still sits at the bottom with its unappealing premise (at least to the average Digimon fan) and crappy last portion. Not exactly the season you can easily motivate someone to watch.

Everything leading up to the Royal Knights is great though and it'd probably go down as one of my favorite seasons if it could have just stuck the landing.

I think that Toei needs to make a "Digimon Room" much like they made a "Dragon Ball Room" for future arcs/OVA's/what have you. It feels like any potential they get, they seemingly squander it.

Or maybe I'm just expecting too much from this series.

Unfortunately, Digimon is not at the popularity level where I see that happening. With only two movies left, I can see Tri beating 02 in the squandered potential department.

I don't think Tri is that bad at all, I genuinely think they did good at the characters drama and they never fail to toss curve balls to build up the mystery.

But it becomes clear to me that whoever the screen writers are, they just can't do good action. It's not a problem with the fights itself it's the whole set up and script every time. The movie just makes questionable decisions during them

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Why was Coachmon suddenly not CG?

Also I'm bothered with the ogre-type Appmon fusing to become the Appmon-version of Leomon.

Why was Coachmon suddenly not CG?

Also I'm bothered with the ogre-type Appmon fusing to become the Appmon-version of Leomon.

I suspect that it came down to Coachmon being in practically the whole episode, along with how they were giving him a lot of detailed expressions.

C5fVzIcUwAA_B_o.jpg
C5fX0QvWMAE72f_.jpg

Stuff like this might have been more difficult to do in CG, so they opted for traditional animation.

I don't think Tri is that bad at all, I genuinely think they did good at the characters drama and they never fail to toss curve balls to build up the mystery.

But it becomes clear to me that whoever the screen writers are, they just can't do good action. It's not a problem with the fights itself it's the whole set up and script every time. The movie just makes questionable decisions during them

While you can make the case for the other movies, I don't think you can say this about Chapter 4, considering
this was Sora's movie, yet she couldn't even carry it. The most memorable parts revolved around the intro, side characters, and plot twists. Sora is, once again, stuck in a loop of character development where she learns nothing and keeps her flaws. Does she talk to anyone about her problems? Nope, she sulks. Until cynical Piyomon comes around at the end and everything is great!

Yeah, "cynical" and "Piyomon" sounds right, doesn't it? The babyish and clingy turn motherly and protective Digimon? What bothers me about this is that you could easily create drama without making her that way. Isn't it enough that a loved one forgets you and reverts back to their original state? Especially if you depend on that loved one for recognition?

What new things did we learn about Sora? This movie did nothing for her character and any drama she had was forced by changing another character's personality.

Anyway, opinions and all that jazz, but personally Tri stands at meh with 4 giving me a pessimistic outlook. I'm getting the sinking feeling the end will be rushed. I would love to be proven wrong.

Sora was my hero as a kid.

But she's just gone downhill since 02.
Her character arc in Part 4 of Tri was written atrociously. Even though she got Biyomon to evolve to mega in the end her primary issue of self care/self love wasn't resolved at all, at least imo.

I feel like Joe and Koushiro are the only characters these writers 'get'. I'd put TK in there too but the way they rushed Patamon's mega evolution sullied the good will they garnered in Confession.

Also I swear if Ophanimon (normal version not fall down mode though I ain't here for her either) ends up being Gatomon's true evolution Imma boycott Tri lmao. I am that petty.

tumblr_m7q6alr4SQ1qkvue8o6_250.gif

Sora hasn't had it good since the last arc of Adventure where she copied Yamato with the dark cave thing. The last thing her character did was deal with her mom problems. 'Tis a shame.

The first Appmon DVD (ep 1-13) is coming out April 4th. I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I thought it looked neat, so I'll post it.

HEx1H4j.jpg

Also I swear if Ophanimon (normal version not fall down mode though I ain't here for her either) ends up being Gatomon's true evolution Imma boycott Tri lmao. I am that petty.
The Tri merchandise points to Holydramon, but
it would be weird to have Gatomon's dark evolution be Ophanimon Falldown Mode yet not have her regular evolution be Ophanimon. I'm not sure if they are trying to play both sides or what.

In other Appmon related news, it's moving from it's current 7 AM time slot to 9:30 AM starting in April. So it seems like the show is probably doing pretty well considering that upgrade. That's a hopeful sign for the future of Digimon.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I see what you guys mean about AppMon ep 19 (still behind v_v)

Honestly, I was expecting the phone virus to somehow cause a bomb to get launched :p But nah, you get the scene with Haru reaching out to Dogatchmon, a timer, a fusion evolution, and an attack that wiped out a ton of enemies. Ok, a fair enough homage to Our War Game :p

Honestly though, as pointed out in the subs and by the subbers, was "Waffle 11" really just a coincidence, since the group started subbing at ep 11? It's really really weird, but I'm sure that these eps were done way ahead in advance! Did Toei really somehow take notice and use it for inspiration? 0_o

EDIT:

Eps 20-21

I liked how Astra's mom actually spoke in poor Japanese :p I wonder if it was awkward for the VA to sound like they were a foreigner that still had weird sounding Japanese? Also, he calls her "Jenny"?

Another Ultimate with Entermon, which I had to go "ohhh ENTERtainment...."

We also get the next Ultimate, which is Leomon x Machamp, essentially.

Also, I love how slowl Haru took to put in his last Seven Code. I'm like "ok, how long until the bad guy snatches it?" So cheesey :p

Of course, right when I catch up the new one comes out >_>

That Greymon figure is bigger than I thought. Preorders are going to open on March 7th, 4 pm Japan time.
AYnunH0.jpg

Shout Factory released a trailer for the Tri DVD.
It contains the terrifying new Digi-rap.

In other Appmon related news, it's moving from it's current 7 AM time slot to 9:30 AM starting in April. So it seems like the show is probably doing pretty well considering that upgrade. That's a hopeful sign for the future of Digimon.

Nice! It was hard to know how well it was doing, but the time slot change has to be a good sign.

10,800 yen is high, but actually lower than I had feared (I thought it might wind up being even pricier than the Beelzebumon figure).

And yeah, that thing is massive.

Made it to episode 22!

I got to say, while I feel like 19 and 22 were done well, 20 and 21 felt rushed.
It helps that Haru and Gatchmon had lead-up in previous episodes and Rei and Hackmon saved their Ultimate fight for the next. Haru's episode was awesome. There were definite Our War Game vibes, but Haru reaching out to Gatchmon actually reminded me of that Taichi and Hikari scene. Rei's episode was good, if only for the fact we finally see how he and Hackmon met. Dezipmon's abbreviations and those being used against him were amusing.

The others had to accomplish all development for their Ultimate in one episode. I liked how they developed Astra's character and home life though. And while Eri's problem felt low stakes compared to the others, her and Coachmon were fun to watch. They also coincidentally met the last of the seven code Appmon, which probably contributed to the rushed feeling. (Speaking of which, Haru slowly placing the last chip, only to have Mienumon take it, killed me.) I understand why they didn't want to contribute more than one episode to each, but I still feel they could have paced it better.

Anyway, I'm nitpicky, I know. :p I'm really liking where the plot is going right now. We're nearing the halfway point, so it's gotta get interesting.

And now that
we've seen all the Ultimate Appmon in action (well Revivemon just stood there), which is your favorite? Mine goes:
1. Globemon
2. Revivemon (He didn't really do anything yet, but he's a dragon, so it's all good.)
3. Entermon
4. Oujamon (I think I'd like Oujamon more if he wasn't so close to MachGaogamon, who did it better.)

I'm a bit late on this, but better late than never.
We are getting some North American Digimon merchandise!
First we got Domez figures, which have been appearing at Hot Topic, but should be fully released on the 27th. They are in blind bags and consist of the Adventure Rookies with a chance of Greymon.

Then we have plushies that look pretty similar to the crane game plushies in Japan, though the designs are not finalized yet. They will release later in the Spring.

You can get more info and see more of the Domez figures at With the Will.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit late on this, but better late than never.
We are getting some North American Digimon merchandise!
First we got Domez figures, which have been appearing at Hot Topic, but should be fully released on the 27th. They are in blind bags and consist of the Adventure Rookies with a chance of Greymon.

Then we have plushies that look pretty similar to the crane game plushies in Japan, though the designs are not finalized yet. They will release later in the Spring.

You can get more info and see more of the Domez figures at With the Will.

I'm fine on the Domez, since I'm collecting the GEMs, but great for something simple to pick up! The plush though, I might need some of those :x They really do look like the original Japanese ones! I'll have to wait and hear about where they will be sold.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I want a plush too. Getting them from Japan takes too much for what they are. Just being able to buy one from a local store would be nice.

We haven't had nice Digimon toys in a while. Xros Wars ones were.... not that good. Savers were only so-so. I miss things like those mini figures and the D-Real ones we got.

We haven't had nice Digimon toys in a while. Xros Wars ones were.... not that good. Savers were only so-so. I miss things like those mini figures and the D-Real ones we got.

I remember seeing the Xros Wars toys, bleh.

Don't worry though, when Appmon becomes super popular here, we'll get tons of great stuff! :'D (Maybe we'll get lucky with more nostalgic Adventure merch.)

Hoping that rumor is true. Habu was teasing a new Story game awhile back, so I'm reasonably confident we're getting one this year.

And the new Digimon look pretty cool.

I don't understand why they're still pushing so many agumon and gabumon evolutions , both those Digimon could easily be their own thing.

Hopefully the CS sequel gets a much bigger budget, it was pretty much a watered down 3d Digimon Story game, which were pretty simple themselves due to being DS games.

they're the poster mons of the series, just like game freak pushing bunch of different Pikachu

i'm just hoping that rumoured story game will finally include dracomon line

they're the poster mons of the series, just like game freak pushing bunch of different Pikachu

Me too. For being an anniversary Digimon and the "canon" Child/Rookie of one of the Royal Knights, he sure is underused. (I just realized this was another evolution line that Next Order could have taken advantage of.)

I know that, but there's no need to relate digimons which bear almost no resemblance to their originals. I mean I don't know see why somebody who follows digimon - casually- would sway towards buying a v-pet due to evolutions of agumon and gabumon. Anybody else wouldn't really care if they were randomly named digimon,only that they were new for the vpet. I mean I'd understand if they were designed for something else, but it just seems like they're trying and failing to somehow grab at nostalgia with them
Me too. For being an anniversary Digimon and the "canon" Child/Rookie of one of the Royal Knights, he sure is underused. (I just realized this was another evolution line that Next Order could have taken advantage of.)

Yeah he wasn't given much attention, even though he was an anniversary digimon. Although I'm not a fan of his evolutions besides examon.
Even though he's a royal knight, one of the strongest dragon digimon, has an awesome tail spear and is way too big.

Is it opposite day for WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, or the "normal day" evolutions of MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon? You decide! :p

But seriously, not bad, especially CresGarurumon

Is it opposite day for WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, or the "normal day" evolutions of MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon? You decide! :p

But seriously, not bad, especially CresGarurumon

With their virus attribute and (Next Order spoilers)
with Omegamon Alter-B being a mirror of Omegamon, I wonder if these two make Omegamon Alter-S (who we've never seen) or Alter-B. The Garurumon arm fits the bill better than the revolver Greymon arm.

the "normal day" evolutions of MetalGreymon and WereGarurumon?
This would've made too much sense. Always annoyed me that metgarurumon went back to being quadrepedal.

With their virus attribute and (Next Order spoilers)
with Omegamon Alter-B being a mirror of Omegamon, I wonder if these two make Omegamon Alter-S (who we've never seen) or Alter-B. The Garurumon arm fits the bill better than the revolver Greymon arm.
http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Omegamon_Alter-S
Omegamon Alter-S is a Digimon

Thank you digimon wiki. Totally didn't know he was mentioned, thanks for mentioning him.

RalchAC

I've just watched Tri OVA 4. I agree with Sora arc being a bit underwhelming but I liked it. It told us about the first kids that traveled to the Digital World, it gave us info about certain characters and their motivations that was needed.

Characters not named Sora were well done. Having the kids wander with Digimon that weren't their partners was a nice touch and seeing the reverse of the scene in Adventure (where the Digimon were the ones waiting) was interesting and funny.

I didn't mind that
Patamon evolved out of nowhere, eventhough Magnaangemon got robbed again. Last OVA it didn't make sense due to the story, but I'm happy it's out of the way.

Yamato and Taichi saying "let's ask TK" at the same time was hilarious.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh, I forgot to put this is my last post.

New Appmon key art. I don't know how sensitive people are to Appmon spoilers, so I'll just put it in a link. It has things that have not been introduced in the show yet.

Neat. Guess we'll see a new OP, or at the very least some much needed animation updates...also hope we get a new ED that isn't, well, that.

Speaking of Appmon this latest episode was pretty awesome, I really hope going into the second half they have the gang use the other Appmon they've collected like they did in this episode as it was neat.

Neat. Guess we'll see a new OP, or at the very least some much needed animation updates...also hope we get a new ED that isn't, well, that.

Speaking of Appmon this latest episode was pretty awesome, I really hope going into the second half they have the gang use the other Appmon they've collected like they did in this episode as it was neat.

I was really glad to see Navimon be relevant again. I also liked
the surprise of Revivemon being a healer (yes, it's in the name, I know :p). It seems Rei is taking a Ruki-like path.

Some other assorted Digimon stuff from V-Jump aside from the big Cyber Sleuth news:

Zubamon's line is now complete with his Ultimate, Durandamon. Also, there's going to be an update on the 20th anniversary V-pet next month, and they showed a silhouette of Apollomon, so it looks like he's in.

And Alphamon is being added to the Appmon card game in addition to the previously announced Agumon, Gabumon, WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon and Omegamon.

Yeah, Appmon is getting really interesting, and it looks like we're about to get a big shift. I'm sure we'll get a new OP and ED with the timeslot change in April, especially since it's being advertised as the start of a new arc.

With the Will has posted a translated interview from 4Gamer regarding the 20th Anniversary V-Pet. Even if you don't particularly care about the V-Pets, it is an interesting read and addresses other parts of the franchise..

Some excerpts:
The stuffed bear is stronger than the cyborg ceratosaurus
4Gamer:
Speaking of the ver. 1, Monzaemon was the strongest Digimon there, followed by Mamemon and then Metalgreymon, correct? The impact of having Numemon, the weakest Digimon, evolve into Monzaemon, the strongest Digimon, was definitely great.

Abe:
According to the developers, Monzaemon was added in as a kind of 'salvation measure', so as not to discourage players from stopping their Digimon raising halfway.

4Gamer:
So, a friend with a Numemon might one day just evolve and turn the tables on you. I thought it was well-thought-out.

Design
4Gamer:
Looking over the original Digimon designs again, they were really drawn to project this 'wild' image. You can see the saliva flying from Greymon's mouth, and it looked ready to attack you any moment. As the years go by, it feels like Digimon began to tend towards more heroic designs; do you think the anime series served as the 'turning point'?

Abe:
I heard that the original concept for Digimon was to be a 'battling Tamagotchi', so the monsters were made in the image of feral monsters such as dinosaurs that you could raise inside a v-pet. That's why there were many feral-looking designs among the early Digimon.
As the series got turned into an anime by Toei Animation, there's this new cuteness and sense of 'partners' that came to be associated with Digimon, so we also got many Digimon born out of that feel.

4Gamer:
We can see the anime's strong presence from how the anime now serves mostly as the standard face of Digimon. There were some monster evolutions in the original v-pet that would be hard to imagine with the current series.

Abe: Looking back on them, they did feel out of place though (laughs).

More new Digimon
Saotome:
Image-wise, it is similar to Jogress, with 2 Ultimates fusing to become a different Ultimate. So, in the ver. 20th, this fusing of 2 Digimon, like WarGreymon and Metalgarurumon, resulting in a separate Digimon like Omegamon, will be termed as 'fusion'. Not only that, more than half of the Ultimate Digimon resulting from fusion will be completely new Digimon.

There's more interesting stuff. Pretty cool interview.

So we're going to be getting a bunch of new Digimon, it sounds like? That's pretty cool. I had figured we were pretty much done with new ones for the V-Pet, with maybe one more to come.

So that interview basically confirms at least 3 new fusions (since we know of 2, Omegamon and Examon). BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon makes sense, I have a feeling we'll get a fusion of Jesmon and Durandamon, too.

It sure is nice to see more than just one new Digimon at a time being introduced, it's been like that for a little while.

So that interview basically confirms at least 3 new fusions (since we know of 2, Omegamon and Examon). BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon makes sense, I have a feeling we'll get a fusion of Jesmon and Durandamon, too.

It sure is nice to see more than just one new Digimon at a time being introduced, it's been like that for a little while.

It's interesting that after awhile of just getting one or two, we're getting quite a lot right now. Between around 150 Appmon starting from September of last year, the whole Zubamon line, BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon, Voltobautamon already, plus whatever the new fusion Digimon are in the V-pet, and I assume at least one new Digimon in Hacker's Memory, we could be seeing one of the largest amount of new Digimon we've ever had in such a period of time).

Watch Da Birdie

I continue to love Appmon's humor, the Dantemon episode had a lot of good jokes...

Also they took a note from Cyber Sleuth naming the hub of the undernet after Kowloon.

I continue to love Appmon's humor, the Dantemon episode had a lot of good jokes...

Also they took a note from Cyber Sleuth naming the hub of the undernet after Kowloon.

Yeah, Dantemon's debut episode was really enjoyable. There were some pretty good gags mixed in there.

I'm really interested to see what Kowloon is like. The preview looked like it had a really interesting aesthetic.

Tusk

Was gonna post that too, but didn't see it until right as I had to go do something.

I really like Alter-S, I hope it's in the new CS game. Wonder if they plan a Next Order sequel with it too.

The Zuba line needs to be in a game or two, I love that line as much as Hackmons. Plan on getting the 20th Anni. V-Pet to raise it and Hackmon. Getting Alter-S in it will be nice too.

Was gonna post that too, but didn't see it until right as I had to go do something.

I really like Alter-S, I hope it's in the new CS game. Wonder if they plan a Next Order sequel with it too.

The Zuba line needs to be in a game or two, I love that line as much as Hackmons. Plan on getting the 20th Anni. V-Pet to raise it and Hackmon. Getting Alter-S in it will be nice too.

I was looking around the other day to see if I could find any places that still had the V-pet up for pre-order, but I wasn't having much luck. But I really do want one, especially with all the stuff they're adding.

Top Bottom