• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atlus DS game - Devil Survivor

Yaweee

Teknoman said:
Wait so are the battles going to be in first person or with character on screen? I'm seeing two different systems.

It seems like each character on the map screen is their own party of three members. When you move into range (or who knows how it gets started), the two parties fight in what appears to much like EO's system.

I'm guessing it works kind of like Ogre Battle's system where each fight only allows a few actions for each character, but they'll probably elaborate on the mechanics in next week's article.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Teknoman said:
Wait so are the battles going to be in first person or with character on screen? I'm seeing two different systems.
My guess is that it's like this:
ehhoyc.jpg

During attacks (with the top 3 boxes being the enemies and the bottom 3 being your characters). And like this:

28a7ssw.jpg

When you're selecting their attacks and the demon beside Yuzu is one she summoned/has made a contract with.

wsippel

Banned
jj984jj said:
That was in last week's issue. You mean from the Nintendo retailer meeting, right? :p
Retailer meeting? I guess the Trace Memory: R release date is also from that meeting? Anything else that might be of interest?

-Kh-

Banned
wsippel said:
Retailer meeting? I guess the Trace Memory: R release date is also from that meeting? Anything else that might be of interest?

The Mario Tennis Wii de asobou date and Mario & Luigi RPG 3 date.

Yaweee

There's quite a few videos on Atlus' page now, some of which are nice, some of which... cause concern.

Battles are pretty much what was expected; move units close to each other, EO-engine combat ensues.
http://ds.atlusnet.jp/keyword/devil.html
A few things of note:
1) The 'Extra Turn' icon is present from the beginning, so it doesn't appear to be Press Turn based.
2) Since it ended in a single hit, it's not clear how many turns each character gets during a battle, or whether or not the defender is somehow at a disadvantage.

http://ds.atlusnet.jp/character/chara_atsurou_a.html
What the hell is that music?

The yellow tabs lead to other videos.

Okay, I'm kind of going backwards through this thread but...

Calints Neos said:
Game reminds me of TWEWY

I was going to say the same thing, it's a tenuous sort of connection but I get the same vibe from it; thematically, from the character designs (the designs, not the art style) and presentation. I said tenuous but someone's gonna freak.

Teknoman

Off-topic, but is that a jack frost face on the side of that ice mage (?) from Etrian Odyssey? (Getting EII for Christmas but dont know the classes yet. Recognize the art style though)

Forkball

Looks interesting. To be honest, I'd rather have a dungeon crawling Persona on the DS though. The formula is perfect for a handheld.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm really not feeling this, but I guess it's more because a FP SMT game with a cyberpunk setting like the first 2 SMTs was so obvious for the DS. Yet they decided on this TWEWY clone. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:
I'm really not feeling this, but I guess it's more because a FP SMT game with a cyberpunk setting like the first 2 SMTs was so obvious for the DS. Yet they decided on this TWEWY clone. :(

Actually I think you're not feeling it because it's barely an R&D1 game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Forkball said:
Looks interesting. To be honest, I'd rather have a dungeon crawling Persona on the DS though. The formula is perfect for a handheld.
I would kill, KILL!, for a handheld Persona :lol PSP or DS, either's fine with me. The whole social link system, as you said, would work perfectly on a handheld if it was embelished more.

NichM

Banned
Error said:

The only TWEWY clone thing about it I can see is that it's got the "7 days" thing. Other than that, the setting of modern-day Tokyo wards and teenage characters is hardly new for the series (see also: SMT 1) and the gameplay doesn't seem anything like TWEWY either.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
TheChillyAcademic said:
So, basically, this is basically God telling the RPG fan inside me (again) that I'm a dumb fuck for not buying a DS again >.<

RPG fans pretty much need a DS to survive nowadays... unless they have a massive PS2 backlog which they probably do anyways :D

Blackjack

NichM said:
The only TWEWY clone thing about it I can see is that it's got the "7 days" thing. Other than that, the setting of modern-day Tokyo wards and teenage characters is hardly new for the series (see also: SMT 1) and the gameplay doesn't seem anything like TWEWY either.
No, Nich, you know as well as I do that TWEWY was the first game ever to use a real world setting. Any other games that have done it stole it from TWEWY. Even those that happened before TWEWY. ATLUS is full of time traveling thieves. :lol

Yaweee

http://ds.atlusnet.jp/special/movie_preview_02.html

Trailer with battle footage. 'WEAK' appears over enemies, so perhaps there is some press-turning involved.

Wow, it actually makes the game look pretty good. It looks a ton more apocalyptic than the earlier screens did; city streets torn apart, buses knocked on their side, famous buildings in ruins. Also, assorted crime scenes and military intervention.

The video also shows Auctions and Fusions.

Yaweee said:
http://ds.atlusnet.jp/special/movie_preview_02.html

Trailer with battle footage. 'WEAK' appears over enemies, so perhaps there is some press-turning involved.

Wow, it actually makes the game look pretty good. It looks a ton more apocalyptic than the earlier screens did; city streets torn apart, buses knocked on their side, famous buildings in ruins. Also, assorted crime scenes and military intervention.

The video also shows Auctions and Fusions.
it actually looks a lot more polished than i first expected... i'm pretty impressed... looks like one of the better DS games in a while

Hmmm... looks not bad... Though the characters' ages and art style seems to be targeting a slightly younger crowd... considering the time I have nowadays, this might have to be a "pass" game. But since it's Atlus, that may mean I'll never see it again.

Yaweee

Famitsu sez... 33/40, which I think is what P3, P4, and Raidou 2 got? Maybe within a point or two.

More videos on the official page.
http://ds.atlusnet.jp/keyword/index.html

The fusion one looks interesting, as it has a fundamentally different interface than other SMT games.

First, it looks like you can fuse right out of the compendium? It shows the user browsing through pages of demons, with most of them grayed out, presumably the ones the player has had in the past but does not currently have.

Second thing of note is portraits for the demons. It looks like they might just be crops of their normal artwork, but it seems useful.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Curse you for bumping this thread now! I just got out of the Famitsu thread and saw this one and thought "Wow, so atlus US has announced this already, great cause it looked good... and I get here and it's this.

Oh well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yaweee said:
Famitsu sez... 33/40, which I think is what P3, P4, and Raidou 2 got? Maybe within a point or two.

Shin Megami Tensei SNES 36
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne PS2 35
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner SAT 35
Etrian Odyssey 2 NDS 34
Devil Survivor NDS 33
Persona 4 PS2 33
Persona 3 PS2 33
Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou tai Abaddon Ou PS2 32
Odin Sphere PS2 32
Etrian Odyssey NDS 32
Trauma Center Wii 32
Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner 2 PS2 32
Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner PS2 32
Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo PS2 32
Trauma Center: New Blood Wii 31
Trauma Center: Under the Knife NDS 31
StellaDeus PS2 31
J-Phoenix 2 PS2 31
Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time PS2 31
Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou PS2 30
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner PSP 30
Snowboard Kids Party NDS 28
B-Densetsu! Battle B-Daman Honoo Tamashii GBA 26
New Jinsei Game PS2 26
Growlanser VI: Precarious World PS2 25
GrowLanser V Generations PS2 25
Hamster Paradise: Pure Heart GBA 25
Jinsei-Game DS NDS 24
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children Messiah Riser GBA 24
2003-Toshi Kaimaku: Ganbare Kyuukaiou PS2 24
Shinseiki Yuusha Taisen PS2 23
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children - Puzzle de Call GBA 23
Choro Q Works PS2 22

Yaweee

http://ds.atlusnet.jp/system/system_05.html
A look at what seems to be a full sub-battle. The 'Extra Turn' for whatever reason happens after the regular turns. It doesn't seem to be linked to being the attacker.

Looks like your party is 4 teams, each of one human and two demons.

Generally, the videos
http://ds.atlusnet.jp/system/index.html
are more interesting and longer than what they've shown so far.

Still don't understand the structure. It looks like the X days is actually part of the gameplay, with you having to partition your time, and presumably events getting blocked off or changing as the week progresses. No map exploration? Seems like you just select your destination and activity from a menu.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Could this be some good SMT love on the DS? I really need to get on that train...

Atlus, be wise and develop a Persona game on the DS!

leroidys

It's on amazon for May 12th. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QTW2HS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon keeps telling me to buy this in my suggestions, so I thought it would search gaf for import impressions/hype/hate/whatever and this was the only thread I found, so sorry for bringing it back from the dead. Anyone else interested in this game? I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game, but I've been getting more intrigued by gaf's praise, and this looks like it might be a good point to jump in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
leroidys said:
It's on amazon for May 12th. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QTW2HS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon keeps telling me to buy this in my suggestions, so I thought it would search gaf for import impressions/hype/hate/whatever and this was the only thread I found, so sorry for bringing it back from the dead. Anyone else interested in this game? I've never played a Shin Megami Tensei game, but I've been getting more intrigued by gaf's praise, and this looks like it might be a good point to jump in.

Amazon is wrong. It's coming out on June 23rd

Also this thread would probably be more helpful to you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348843&highlight=devil+survivor

t3nmilez

Hmm, I really hope they add some sort of preorder bonus for this like they've been doing for their other recent releases.

Top Bottom