• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atlus DS game - Devil Survivor

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Mejilan said:
Just the original, or the whole series?
The original (did you end up getting the DS version?).

Just teasing you for mentioning Nippon Ichi in that post. ;)

Reilly said:
Good, so now Atlus USA can focus on getting Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon localized and include the bonus soundtrack cd (without the lame red bar at the bottom of the cover art)...right?
Dude, it's not even that bad. (Trust me, I bitched about it, too) I actually think it compliments the color scheme of the P4 box (EP, too)--but maybe that's just me.

Great news on the "No P4 FES" or-any-other-kind-of-expansion comment--great news.

I haven't seen the scans yet, but more Atlus on my DS is a good thing! I like SRPGS, anyway...so it's a win-win for me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuu said:
The original (did you end up getting the DS version?).

Just teasing you for mentioning Nippon Ichi in that post. ;)

disgaea.jpg

duckroll said:
I personally love eating fresh steaming shit out of the toilet bowl too, but I don't go around defending that fact! :lol

JRPG fan joke goes here

How were those older megaten SNES SRPGs anyway?

Great ideas, lackluster execution. Spiral Nemesis is actually quite a good game, despite what Aeana says. Better music than the main series at the time, too.

Also, seriously, people want Meguro on a DS game? You think Trauma Center's music was that great?

Joule

Well I'm interested (as I am in the other DS Srpgs to come). As long as it doesn't turn out to be a Heroes of Mana though that was a RTS.

Yaweee said:
(And I think that almost collaterally confirms P4: Reincarnation)
P3: Reincarnation was great, no complaints here.

Aeana

I'm actually relieved to hear that Meguro isn't on the game. Atlus has (had? although I know a few are still with them) a few other talented composers who never get any work and/or are stuck on sound design/sound effects duty because Meguro hogs everything.

dark steve said:
Great ideas, lackluster execution. Spiral Nemesis is actually quite a good game, despite what Aeana says. Better music than the main series at the time, too.

Majin Tensei 2 is much better than the first, but I still don't think it's very good. I did say it had some good ideas, though.

And it's great to hear that there won't be another version of Persona 4.

well, I'll concede that you've probably played much better games than I have, so you probably have more reason to describe it so.

that said, did I hallucinate it, or did you just change your avatar to something bitter/sarcastic for no GAF-apparent reason?

Shouta

Hmm, Shinjiro Takada? He directed Growlanser 5 and 6 and was a producer on 1-4 (I think).

At least they have a fairly competent person doing it.

Shouta

Aeana said:
He directed Growlanser 1, credited as Shinjiro Takata.

It's supposed to be Takada. Takata is the readings for his last name in kanji when read separately but when you put them together, the ta changes to da because of dakuten.

I'll have to check 2-4 and see if he was a director or producer on those.

Xabora

Error said:
DSatlus.jpg

it's an ad so...

a new SMT DS game? Who knows!? Could be an RTS for all we know!
EDIT: REMOVED LINK... they had scans in it. >_<
Looks like someone snagged your pic and reposted it on the Atlus forums.

Aeana

Shouta said:
It's supposed to be Takada. Takata is the readings for his last name in kanji when read separately but when you put them together, the ta changes to da because of dakuten.

I'll have to check 2-4 and see if he was a director or producer on those.

I know that. I'm just saying that that's how he's credited on various sites. I haven't actually finished Growlanser 1, so I have no idea if the credits are Romanized or not.

Shouta

Aeana said:
I know that. I'm just saying that that's how he's credited on various sites. I haven't actually finished Growlanser 1, so I have no idea if the credits are Romanized or not.

Actually, there are cases where you don't do that. It's a bit interesting.

I don't have my GL1 complete data on me right now but I have it on my emulator somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

Caelestis

Hmmm, I don't know what to think of this. It might turn out to be interesting, but this is not what I was hoping for. From those scans, if it wouldn't be for Kaneko's demon design I would never guess this is SMT related.

ethelred said:
Which internal Atlus DS games have sucked so far? Certainly not the two Etrian Odyssey games or the two Trauma Center games. Which Megami-styled Atlus games in general have sucked in the past decade? The first Raidou, maybe... but even then, they seemed to have crafted a much better sequel.

i simply dont trust them to deliver a good SRPG right now. also they seem to be releasing too many games too fast, scattering their resources on similar themes. they are bound to slip sometimes down their road. like i said, im down for another good SRPG anytime, but right now im doubtful.

those scans didnt impress me at all.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I am interested in them moving the setting to NY for one of the games... would kill to see an SMT mainline or spinoff set there.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
djtiesto said:
I am interested in them moving the setting to NY for one of the games... would kill to see an SMT mainline or spinoff set there.
That was fake, there's only 1 version set in Tokyo.

Bebpo

Banned
No P4FES and Atlus is recording vocal music tracks for next game.......

Either SMT4 is going to suddenly go hip like P3 or we're getting P5 or another spinoff Megaten next. :\

MechaX

dark steve said:
Also, seriously, people want Meguro on a DS game? You think Trauma Center's music was that great?

Did Meguro even do the original Trauma Center's music? I know he did Second Opinion's (Most of which are completely different than Under the Knife's songs), and probably New Blood's, but he didn't work on Trauma Center 2's OST.

Yaweee

Bebpo said:
No P4FES and Atlus is recording vocal music tracks for next game.......

Either SMT4 is going to suddenly go hip like P3 or we're getting P5 or another spinoff Megaten next. :\

Did Meguro really say he is composing tracks for an unannounced game, or an unannounced project? I don't think Atlus has any development teams that could be close enough for him to be recording tracks for, while the timeline (relative to P3) and description of what he's doing seem to match up perfectly with the Reincarnation album.

Bebpo

Banned
Yaweee said:
Did Meguro really say he is composing tracks for an unannounced game, or an unannounced project? I don't think Atlus has any development teams that could be close enough for him to be recording tracks for, while the timeline (relative to P3) and description of what he's doing seem to match up perfectly with the Reincarnation album.

That's a possible explanation.

I still think R&D1 are going to announce the next real console Megaten soon. At least before March. I'm still expecting it to be the PS3/X360 SMT4. Duckroll thought they'd push out P4:Fes first but if NichM says no P4F than....time for SMT4 :D

Aeana

I do expect them to announce the 360/PS3 project they were hiring for earlier in the year sometime soon. I hope it's SMT4, but... I have a feeling it won't be. :\

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
I do expect them to announce the 360/PS3 project they were hiring for earlier in the year sometime soon. I hope it's SMT4, but... I have a feeling it won't be. :\
Why? It's been so long, surely it's time they got everyone they can back together to make SMTIV, no? :(

Aeana

jj984jj said:
Why? It's been so long, surely it's time they got everyone they can back together to make SMTIV, no? :(

[bitter and negative]
But do they want to? I was honestly surprised to see Raidou 2 show up. It seemed like they were going to be the Persona/Etrian Odyssey/Trauma Center company for a while. I want SMT4 more than anything right now, but Persona 5 would probably be more profitable. :(

Bebpo

Banned
If it's a real game on a new console (not throwaway game like SMT9) it has to be SMT4. Why? Because SMT is the base for all the spinoff games. Any spinoff Megaten on PS3/X360 would re-use all the demons from a "main" game. Main game has to come first with all the demon models.

I think it'll go: SMT4 (X360/PS3) -> Devil Summer Raidou 3 (X360/PS3) -> New Megaten spinoff (X360/PS3). Maybe with a PS2 or Wii game between. I was telling duckroll that Raidou 3 has to be a LOCK at this point. Raidou is now a GOOD series in game quality, the sales are slowly improving, it's Kaneko's personal baby, and it would be ridiculously cheap and fast to make even on the HD systems if SMT4 has been done. They just use HD photobackgrounds instead of SD photobackgrounds & 95% of the models come from SMT4. So yeah, I think Raidou 3 will be the first Megaten after we get SMT4. :)

Yaweee

Bebpo said:
That's a possible explanation.

I still think R&D1 are going to announce the next real console Megaten soon. At least before March. I'm still expecting it to be the PS3/X360 SMT4. Duckroll thought they'd push out P4:Fes first but if NichM says no P4F than....time for SMT4 :D

As of January 15th, Atlus will have released five games in an 11 month period: EO2, TC2, P4, Raidou 2, and Devil Survivor. Though I'm not sure of what rate they pumped things out during the SFC days, this is the most productive they've ever been, no? Do they really have enough employees where SMT4 could be just over the horizon? Are there any key directors or the like that are unaccounted for?

Aeana said:
[bitter and negative]
But do they want to? I was honestly surprised to see Raidou 2 show up. It seemed like they were going to be the Persona/Etrian Odyssey/Trauma Center company for a while. I want SMT4 more than anything right now, but Persona 5 would probably be more profitable. :(

Raidou 2 was pretty much confirmed two years ago when Kaneko (I think) was asked what was next for the for the SMT series after Persona. He responded "Probably the next Devil Summoner." ... or at least that's how I recall reading the story...

Aeana

Bebpo said:
If it's a real game on a new console (not throwaway game like SMT9) it has to be SMT4. Why? Because SMT is the base for all the spinoff games. Any spinoff Megaten on PS3/X360 would re-use all the demons from a "main" game. Main game has to come first with all the demon models.

Well, it's true that that's how it was on the SFC and PS2, but there wasn't even a mainline SMT game in the PS1/Saturn era. You don't think there's any chance we could see a repeat of that this time? :\

Yaweee said:
Raidou 2 was pretty much confirmed two years ago when Kaneko (I think) was asked what was next for the for the SMT series after Persona. He responded "Probably the next Devil Summoner." ... or at least that's how I recall reading the story...

Yes, I know that; but it was also before Persona 3 really exploded. I had actually assumed it was canned. Kaneko also mentioned a Wii game, and that hasn't shown up yet.

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana said:
Well, it's true that that's how it was on the SFC and PS2, but there wasn't even a mainline SMT game in the PS1/Saturn era. You don't think there's any chance we could see a repeat of that this time? :\

I think on a 3d console, if they made a spinoff game first with great looking high-poly demon models it'd kind of dampen the "wow" factor of SMT4 if they just imported most of those in. I mean it's true they could completely skip SMT4 this generation and just do various new IPs. But I'd like to believe they want to do an SMT4.

Hive

Banned
I am so pumped that Suzuhito Yasuda is doing the character art!!

I'm crazy about his designs for Yozakura Quartet.
They are really clean and simple, but give the characters quite a bit of personality and style.

Thanks for the images, Fuu! Gotta cook up some avatars now ^o^

bryehn

In case anyone was actually doubting NichM...

Atlus Announces That There Will Only Be One (Very Awesome) Version of Persona 4

Unprecedented announcement-of-no-announcement shocks industry

IRVINE, Calif. - November 6, 2008
Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced to eager fans awaiting the release of the upcoming RPG epic Persona 4 that there will in fact be no enhanced or expanded version of the game released, as was the case with the game’s predecessor, Persona 3.

"We are today able to announce that at no point in the future will we announce the release of a "FES" version of Persona 4,” said Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “The very finest, most definitive version of Persona 4 will be the one released on December 9, 2008.”
This groundbreaking preemptive anti-announcement puts to rest concerns among many Atlus devotees that an improved version would be announced and released shortly following the release of Persona 4.

Persona 4 will release for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system on December 9, 2008. Each and every copy of the game will include Side A of the Persona 4 soundtrack for free, which features the work of famed composer Shoji Meguro. Fans who pre-order from select retailers will also receive Persona 4: Visual Data, a 100-page, full-color art book loaded with designs from master artist Shigenori Soejima (at GameStop, Amazon.com, EB Games (Canada), Game Crazy, and other fine retailers, while supplies last).

In addition, hardcore fans can pick up the Persona 4 Social Link Expansion Pack (exclusively at Amazon.com), a bundle of rare North American-exclusive goodies unavailable anywhere else, like the Teddie plushie, 2009 Calendar, Side B disc of the P4 soundtrack, and more!

About Persona 4
Shortly after an urban youth begins a year-long stay in the countryside town of Inaba, the rural town's peace is shattered by a horrific murder that leaves no clues or suspects. As the lone incident develops into a series of bizarre crimes, he discovers that only he and his friends have the power to solve the baffling case, bring those responsible to justice, and restore harmony to his new home.

Key Features

• Balance your double life – Beyond intense battles, Persona fusion, and new weapon creation exists a normal high school life of friends, classes, and part-time jobs. The way you manage and integrate your activities within each day will determine how you progress through the game.
• Unprecedented team control – With a greater emphasis on developing bonds in the fight to solve the mysterious murders, strong friendships are key to your success. Directly control teammates in battle, earn greater party support for combat, and master individual Social Links to unlock your party's true potential.
• Find the true ending – 60+ hours of gameplay thrusts you into a deep mystery where midnight television leads to serial killings. You must investigate murders, rescue those who can be rescued, and unmask the culprit behind it all—or risk being forever shrouded in the fog of doubt.
Persona 4 has been rated "M" for Mature with Alcohol Reference, Animated Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, and Violence by the ESRB.

About Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
Located in Irvine, California and founded in 1991, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. is renowned for its proud tradition of publishing exceptional role-playing games with strong niche appeal. The Atlus library of critically acclaimed video games includes Odin Sphere, Trauma Center series, and the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei series. For more information, visit http://www.atlus.com.

For breaking news, special promotions, insider info, and more, click here to join the ranks of the Atlus Faithful!
©2008 ATLUS. Licensed to and published by Atlus USA.

Bebpo

Banned
Hive said:
I am so pumped that Suzuhito Yasuda is doing the character art!!

I'm crazy about his designs for Yozakura Quartet.
They are really clean and simple, but give the characters quite a bit of personality and style.

Thanks for the images, Fuu! Gotta cook up some avatars now ^o^

Yeah, I think the art is fine. It's a little kiddy but that's to be expected when most franchises go on the DS or Wii with their wider audience. It's not offensive or ugly like certain people (cough*cough*duckroll) think, it's just not as edgy or dark as most Megaten.

Aeana

I really, really don't like the hero design. The other stuff isn't that bad, though. Honestly, when the very first scan showed up, it was just an image of the hero, and I was worried it was going to be a Devil Children game or something.

Hive

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah, I think the art is fine. It's a little kiddy but that's to be expected when most franchises go on the DS or Wii with their wider audience. It's not offensive or ugly like certain people (cough*cough*duckroll) think, it's just not as edgy or dark as most Megaten.

he gives the characters wide cat-like eyes, and also cat-ears sometimes ^o^ I really think he's obsessed with cats~

kiryogi

Banned
Only thing that bugs me about nich tho. Isn't there a head and body issue with what goes on between the japanese and american branches? Or has that been ironed out? Isn't that sort of what happened with P3Fes back in the day? And the original domestic P3 complaints about it not being Fes?

I'm pretty sure that if Atlus put out a press release saying that no P4: FES is coming, it's because R&D1 have told them that they're not working on it right now (and if they're not working on it right now, it's never happening.) There's really no benefit to putting out a press release like this if there's any chance you're going to be wrong.

Shit like "oh no, now when P4:FES is announced Atlus won't localize it!!!!" is just dumb.

Top Bottom