• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atlus DS game - Devil Survivor

Aeana

cw_sasuke said:
Looking at the scans - it doesn`t really look like a s-rpg..... reminds me a bit of P2.

It's an SRPG with more normal battle scenes. Seems kind of like ASH.

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
Looking at the scans - it doesn`t really look like a s-rpg..... reminds me a bit of P2.

It's a SRPG. The article makes it really clear. It's being directed by a guy that directed Langrisser and Growlanser games too. It's yet another fucking DS betrayalthon. HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS EO 3D DUNGEON RPG ENGINE FOR DS! WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME TO MAKE A SMT WITH IT? NOPE HERE'S YOUR SRPG KNOCKOFF WITH SHIT CHARACTER DESIGNS! ENJOY! :lol :lol :lol

Edit: Meguro isn't composing this! So he has to be working on P4Fes. HAHAHAHAHA LOLZ! Atlus = lololololz.

Akai

Aeana said:
Scans finally showed up.

Another SRPG spinoff with crappy art. :| But I have to admit that the battle screens look interesting.

I hope you don't mean the characters, because I personally love Suzuhito Yasuda's style (Yozakura Quartet)

duckroll

Akai said:
I hope you don't mean the characters, because I personally love Suzuhito Yasuda's style (Yozakura Quartet)

I personally love eating fresh steaming shit out of the toilet bowl too, but I don't go around defending that fact! :lol

Akai

duckroll said:
I personally love eating fresh steaming shit out of the toilet bowl too, but I don't go around defending that fact! :lol

Pffff, you just aren't hardcore enough!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It uses ASH's system? From the director of Langrisser and Growlanser games?? What an odd choice, wouldn't this have been the perfect chance to do a good kind of RTS on DS?

Aeana

jj984jj said:
It uses ASH's system? From the director of Langrisser and Growlanser games?? What an odd choice, wouldn't this have been the perfect chance to do a good kind of RTS on DS?

I expect it to retain some real-time elements, but it's all speculation at this point. The site opens on the 10th, and it'll have a movie.

Teknoman

duckroll said:
It's a SRPG. The article makes it really clear. It's being directed by a guy that directed Langrisser and Growlanser games too. It's yet another fucking DS betrayalthon. HEY GUYS LOOK AT THIS EO 3D DUNGEON RPG ENGINE FOR DS! WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME TO MAKE A SMT WITH IT? NOPE HERE'S YOUR SRPG KNOCKOFF WITH SHIT CHARACTER DESIGNS! ENJOY! :lol :lol :lol

Edit: Meguro isn't composing this! So he has to be working on P4Fes. HAHAHAHAHA LOLZ! Atlus = lololololz.

No meguro? ; ;

How were those older megaten SNES SRPGs anyway?

Aeana

Teknoman said:
No meguro? ; ;

How were those older megaten SNES SRPGs anyway?

Not very good. I hate the first one, although the second one has a few good ideas, I don't like it very much either.

Vorador

Banned
Hi guys so there's new information about the game?...

duckroll said:
I personally love eating fresh steaming shit out of the toilet bowl too

291hmxz.gif

duckroll said:

Atlus = a smart and talented developer. God I can't wait for this game and an inevitable P4 expansion pack. Fucking amazing games.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I fully support the idea of an internally developed Atlus SRPG.

Just saw the scan. It's a SRPG? Yes. Does it look bad? No. Hell, it doesn't even LOOK like a SRPG >_>
There's a It'sAWW vibe in it, I like the character design, it also reminds me of Persona 2 and... there's Jack Frost.

Definitely getting it!

(ATLUS, your next *new* game MUST be a 3rd person SMT/Persona/DDS, ok?? OK?????)

-Kh-

Banned
I actually liked the character designs.

The battle screens look interesting, but that's much about it. I'm not really hyped by any SRPG anymore unless it comes from N1 or it has FFT in the title, everything else, although some kinda good games, are just average and uninspired.

Will still get it if ever released overseas, the Megaten series around among my favorite RPG series, so the more, the merrier.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The character art is good. The main character's pink pants and headphones that make little ears look re re but that's about it. I like the rest, mainly the other boy with a beanie.

No Meguro is a bummer but the screens look ok. I never write-off games based on genres anyway, I don't even see the problem with it being a SRPG (couldn't care less if there are many of them on DS).

batbeg

The character designs look a bit bland to me, but spritework never ceases to get my interest. So interest +1.

Yaweee

Mana, FF, and Blue Dragon were all spun off onto the DS as shitty Growlanser-style SRPGs. Looks like Atlus actually hired the real deal to run SMT into the ground.

The screenshots make it look... not terrible, though?
-Positioning makes it look grid based.
-Little icons at the top of the screen make it seem like it's entirely turn-based.
-It looks like the icons on the map represent parties, with each party leader being having two demons by their side. Enemy groups also seem to have three enemies in each?
-EXTRA TURN appears next to the characters' nametags during battle. Is that a bonus for flanking the enemy, or a result of a press-turn-style system? Blizzard, Thunder, and Wind elements all seem to be returning.
-Oh, and separate battles? Is this becoming normal for SRPGs? (Looks at SF Feather)
-Character design suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Not quite the jump down like whoever the fuck Square-Enix and Konami hire to do their DS spinoffs, but still not as good as Atlus' other artists.
-Is this made by the same team as EO1/2? That... would make this a very quick dev time.
-Hopefully the seven-day time frame leads to a shorter game focused on a branching story. The Growlanser/Langrisser guy loves that sort of thing, and the SMT series has quite the history of it as well.

duckroll said:

Meguro's blog comments sound more like P4: Reincarnation than P4 FES. Though I wouldn't rule out a special edition to Atlus' most popular RPG in years, what would they add? Haven't they already blown their special-edition-load by including a hard mode and
extra dungeon
in the original game?

EDIT:
Other information that hasn't been listed in this thread yet:
-90% complete
-January 15th release
-Demon contact is in it
-Key Credits are... (take directly from another message board)
Director: Shinjiro Takada (Langrisser series, Growlanser series director)
Art Director: Akiko Koto (Nocturne, Devil Summoner 3)
Supervisor and Demon Design: Kazuma Kaneko (Megaten series)
Character Designer: Suzuhito Yasuda (Yozakura Quartet manga)

nintendo ds strikes again!

here we have another spinoff with crappy art, besides the devil design. i could care less, if this ends up as a HQ-SRPG, simple because i love that genre.

but what are the chances? guess.

RickA238

Yaweee said:
Meguro's blog comments sound more like P4: Reincarnation than P4 FES. Though I wouldn't rule out a special edition to Atlus' most popular RPG in years, what would they add? Haven't they already blown their special-edition-load by including a hard mode and .............. in the original game?

IIRC, didn't the original Persona 3 also have both of these? It only makes sense to me that Atlus would make a Persona 4 Fes.

Yaweee

RickA238 said:
IIRC, didn't the original Persona 3 also have both of these? It only makes sense to me that Atlus would make a Persona 4 Fes.

(You're referring to the two features, right?)

No, the original P3 had neither-- only Normal and Easy modes, and only Tartarus for the entire game. Nocturne, the other Atlus RPG to have gotten a special edition, also had neither, with the Labyrinth of Amala only added in the Maniacs edition (though the difficulty in that game ramped up on New Game+, hard was not directly selectable).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
plank said:
What happened the the Famitsu thread that's posted every week?

Good question.... btw. A new Mystical Ninja Goemon Title for Wii is true ?

RedBoot

SRPG is meh, but the battle screens make me cautiously optimistic. Not sure what I think about the character designs, though the female character has entirely too many strings going about everywhere (and the pocky is just silly).

Still, it's a Megaten game, so I'm going to buy it anyway. Hopefully it'll be fun. Still would rather have a 1st person dungeon crawling SMT title though.

ethelred

I genuinely don't know at which point in time the announcement of new strategy RPGs out of Japan came to be seen as not just a bad thing, but one to visceral extremes. You guys amaze me.

I think the game looks really nice in the scans, and I love the genre, so I'll wait until the end of the week to watch the video and wait to hear more about the gameplay. But so far, even though the game doesn't match what my expectations (and my top desire) were, I'm pleased with the announcement.

duckroll said:
It's yet another fucking DS betrayalthon.

How is this some sort of betrayal? There's no need to be such a drama queen. You'd be the first one in line to sob it up if Atlus had announced Persona 5, Persona 4: Fes, or Etrian Odyssey 3 -- instead they announce something new, but that's a betrayal (and a bad thing), too.

Aeana said:
It's an SRPG with more normal battle scenes. Seems kind of like ASH.

Great. One of the first things I said when I played ASH is that I thought the hybridization of SRPG movement with traditional RPG battles was a very cool idea and that I'd like to see a sequel (or something else) come along to improve upon ASH's really flawed implementation. Atlus seems like a nice choice to do that.

Fuu said:
I don't even see the problem with it being a SRPG (couldn't care less if there are many of them on DS).

There absolutely aren't many on the DS, let alone many good ones. I'd go even further and remove the system from the equation altogether -- there aren't many good turn-based SRPGs coming out of Japan these days, period. The past generation has largely seen the genre relegated to Idea Factory and Nippon Ichi, which is hardly a good development.

Yaweee said:
Mana, FF, and Blue Dragon were all spun off onto the DS as shitty Growlanser-style SRPGs. Looks like Atlus actually hired the real deal to run SMT into the ground.

Yes. Because this looks absolutely shitty; just by nature of it being a strategy RPG, it absolutely must be shitty.

Yaweee said:
-EXTRA TURN appears next to the characters' nametags during battle. Is that a bonus for flanking the enemy, or a result of a press-turn-style system? Blizzard, Thunder, and Wind elements all seem to be returning.

Ideally it will be press turn.

Yaweee said:
-Oh, a separate screen for battles? Is this becoming normal for SRPGs? (Looks at SF Feather)

Why look at Shining Force Feather, given that all prior Shining Force SRPGs (1, 2, all three 3 games, CD, Resurrection of the Dark Dragon) had separate battle screens. Further, it's just odd to suggest that this is somehow new, or just becoming normalcy in a way that we need to point at two new SRPGs (Feather and Devil Survivor). Strategy RPGs going all the way back through the Fire Emblem series, the Shining Force games, the Langrisser series (which apparently the director worked on), Vandal Hearts 1 and 2,the Front Mission games -- all had separate battle screens.

Augemitbutter said:
nintendo ds strikes again!

here we have another spinoff...

How is this is a spinoff in some sense that Persona, Digital Devil Saga, Majin Tensei, Soul Hackers, Devil Summoner, and DS: Kuzunoha Raidou weren't? How is it attributable to the system rather than its nature being a function of what Atlus has long been doing?

Augemitbutter said:
...i could care less, if this ends up as a HQ-SRPG, simple because i love that genre.

Then why does it matter if it's a spinoff?

Augemitbutter said:
but what are the chances? guess.

Which internal Atlus DS games have sucked so far? Certainly not the two Etrian Odyssey games or the two Trauma Center games. Which Megami-styled Atlus games in general have sucked in the past decade? The first Raidou, maybe... but even then, they seemed to have crafted a much better sequel.

Fuu

Pretty much, ethelred.

If this game was a complete old-school turn based RPG it wouldn't magically make it better like some people seem to think. Attacking the fact it's a SRPG only because other companies made games they disliked in the same genre makes no sense.

Checked the scans and to be frank. If I'm assuming what I like about SMT/related games are well represented in handheld form, I await more tidbits of info. I like what I see...yeah boy!

Aeana

The initial bad reaction is really quite simple to understand.

• Atlus has made three SRPGs before this, and they are all bad.
  • The trend of DS SRPG spinoffs of major console RPG franchises is annoying, to say the least. Especially of major turn-based franchises, as these games are becoming rare enough as it is.
  • And the big one that spurred the kneejerk reactions: this is not the game that anybody who was following it was hoping for. Ask anybody what they think the ideal SMT DS game would be, and they'd say "something along the lines of the SNES games, but with the improvements EO brought to that formula." I know I would, at least.

Reading the scans themselves after my initial reaction didn't really help, either, honestly. It sounds like they took the concept directly from TWEWY, including the time limit. We'll have to see about how it's implemented, though.

I try not to judge just-announced games too harshly, and I don't expect it to be awful at all, but I am disappointed.

ethelred said:
How is this some sort of betrayal? There's no need to be such a drama queen. You'd be the first one in line to sob it up if Atlus had announced Persona 5, Persona 4: Fes, or Etrian Odyssey 3 -- instead they announce something new, but that's a betrayal (and a bad thing), too.

I know I would certainly be way more disappointed if they announced Persona 5 or Etrian Odyssey 3.

Yaweee

ethelred said:
Yes. Because this looks absolutely shitty; just by nature of it being a strategy RPG, it absolutely must be shitty.

It was a joke to point out that they hired the guy responsible for the series that FF, Mana, and BD emulated in their not-so-well-received spinoffs.

Why look at Shining Force Feather, given that all prior Shining Force SRPGs (1, 2, all three 3 games, CD, Resurrection of the Dark Dragon) had separate battle screens. Further, it's just odd to suggest that this is somehow new, or just becoming normalcy in a way that we need to point at two new SRPGs (Feather and Devil Survivor). Strategy RPGs going all the way back through the Fire Emblem series, the Shining Force games, the Langrisser series (which apparently the director worked on), Vandal Hearts 1 and 2,the Front Mission games -- all had separate battle screens.

None of the games you listed are at all similar to this or SFF. In the other games, the battle screens were just graphical representations of the commands you gave at the main map menu, but in Devil Survivor it seems you move your parties into contact with each other, then have a separate battle that looks like it reuses the EO engine. In this sense, it is far more like the main Ogre Battle games than standard SRPGs. I guess I just picked a bad word.

I'm actually very enthusiastic about the game so far, and I didn't mean for my post to seem like "it sucks, it sucks, it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks" (except for the character design). Atlus has a very good history of translating their SMT series to other RPG sub-genres, and both Atlus and the director have experience with SRPGs.

Delio

Eh Looking at the scans now i'm a bit better thowards it. The battles look interesting and i like the designs. I take back saying i lost interest then i'll wait to see how it turns out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm with ethel here. I'm not going to assume that this is going to turn out like your typical Idea Factory/Nippon Ichi/Mystwalker SRPG drek, simply because those companies are the ones producing the most SRPGs today.

It's Atlus!

Mejilan said:
I'm with ethel here. I'm not going to assume that this is going to turn out like your typical Idea Factory/Nippon Ichi/Mystwalker SRPG drek, simply because those companies are the ones producing the most SRPGs today.

It's Atlus!

preach

C.T.

Mejilan said:

It's Atlus!

ORLY?

Fuu

NichM said:
Fact: There won't be a P4 FES.
Glorious. I can't wait for P4 and that's actually good news.

...but you're not saying there won't be a P4:FES and instead there will be a P4:somethingelse are you?

Reilly

NichM said:

Good, so now Atlus USA can focus on getting Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon localized and include the bonus soundtrack cd (without the lame red bar at the bottom of the cover art)...right?

mollipen

Reilly said:
Good, so now Atlus USA can focus on getting Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon localized and include the bonus soundtrack cd (without the lame red bar at the bottom of the cover art)...right?

Uhm, that red bar is mandate at this point, and not something Atlus (or anybody) gets to decide.

I dunno... I'm at the point where SRPG really have to impress me for me to fully care, but at the same time, if there's anything that could get me to be interesting in an SRPG, it's setting it in the MegaTen world. But, really, damn... why did this have to be an SRPG?

Yaweee

NichM said:

This is absolutely fantastic news, almost deserving of its own thread. Hell, I bet there's holdouts in Japan that would love to hear that so they can go out and buy P4.

(And I think that almost collaterally confirms P4: Reincarnation)

And what's everybody's problem with Nippon-Ichi? Sure, they probably should slow down their releases a bit, but do people here actually hate Disgaea (pick one), Phantom Brave, or La Pucelle? Their games are competently made and designed, just lacking in the variety to differentiate them from one another.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, does Nich mean that there won't be a PE4Fes here, or that there won't be one at all?

Fuu said:
How many times did you buy Disgaea again? :lol

Just the original, or the whole series?

Top Bottom