• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
Many were also disappointed by the NDP as many of the MP elected can't speak french properly in their riding which are 100% francophone or are like ghosts and do not even live in their riding.

I'd be a little shocked if any of those won the riding nominations again in the next election.

Seriously, Quebec needs to look at how Alberta did things. We stole the idea of the Bloc from Quebec, but when it was time to switch to a federal party we went whole hog. And now Alberta basically sets the agenda (for better or, more likely imo, worse). "The West Wants In."

If Quebec wants to have a say in federal politics in 2016, and I think they should want that separatist or not, they need to keep on the NDP train and ride it to Sussex Drive. Anything else just dooms us to more Conservative governments. It's the regional blocs that are splitting and eating up the left, not the NDP.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Except more of the Conservatives and Quebec will just separate. There's a limit to being governed by a government that separatists and non-separatists can't stand.

SRG01

To be quite fair to Quebec, there is a general distrust of the "federalist" approach -- whatever that means -- at the moment, so they'll vote in a separatist/provincially minded movement simply if it suits their ends.

The NDP has to try hard to win back the support of Quebecers. Mulcair can do that, but he needs to really work at it.

edit: I just read the post at the top. The federal Conservatives definitely aren't setting the federal agenda from Alberta. They're speaking for big businesses. If they were truly speaking for Albertans, then they'd voice concerns over Keystone XL and subsidize the construction of refineries. There were many that got canceled prior to the recession due to the price of oil and other things.

I feel like the only way to dethrone the Conservatives is if either the Grits or NDP manage to find a really strong and charismatic leader that Canadians will rally behind. Another Pierre Trudeau-level guy is what it's gonna take.

maharg

idspispopd
I feel like the only way to dethrone the Conservatives is if either the Grits or NDP manage to find a really strong and charismatic leader that Canadians will rally behind. Another Pierre Trudeau-level guy is what it's gonna take.

Chasing that dream has contributed to the self-destruction of the Liberal party.

Also, it's worth noting that Trudeau himself is a big part of the destruction of the Liberal party. Before him they could get votes in the west.

It's not like Harper is an ultra-charismatic person.

Guesong

I read in a newspaper this morning that the NPD is about to "try and beat the conservatives at their own game" ; that is, a series of negative ads that would start soon, to coincide with the election of their new leader.

Blagh. Negative ads everywhere! But if that's what it takes to actually get something to stick on the CPC...

Speaking of their new leader, seems like I was wrong a few pages back. It really does seems likely for Mulcair now, and I'm happy, cause that's the only way the NPD could possibly stick around in QC next election.

Vamphuntr

To be quite fair to Quebec, there is a general distrust of the "federalist" approach -- whatever that means -- at the moment, so they'll vote in a separatist/provincially minded movement simply if it suits their ends.

The NDP has to try hard to win back the support of Quebecers. Mulcair can do that, but he needs to really work at it.

Mulcair and his potential as the successor to Layton has been discussed to death by the media here. I'm not sure he'll be as popular as Layton. The popularity of the NDP here in QC is pretty much the results of Layton himself. Mulcair still has the image of the provincial minister that was demoted or in better terms asked to leave the provincial liberal government because of all the troubles he stirred. I mean, he was attacking the prime minister in public while he was himself minister or the environment. There are also a lot of rumours about how it's apparently hard to work with him as he's selfish and prefer his own ideas to that of others.

I would trust more Brian Topps than Mulcair to be honest. In any case, both don't have the charisma of Jack.

People here also have the habit of flip-flopping often when voting. We almost lead the ADQ to power only to completely eradicate the party in the following election.

If the NDP want to keep their seats here, they'll have to convince people that the candidates they presented and that won were not simply placeholders candidates because no one else wanted to run for the NDP. Unfortunately, many of these newly elected MP were in fact placeholders. Some were undergrad students with no political experience, other were low wage workers with no education and some were retired people.

It doesn't help that Lise St-Denis, the NDP MP which was elected in Jean Chrétien's riding decided to leave the NDP for the Liberals after talking with him. She even said that the Liberals' program was superior in her eyes to that of the NDP. Add to the fact that some can't speak french or don't even live in their ridings and you get a complete disaster and a party that seems to be run by a bunch of amateurs.

Hilariously, Ruth Ellen Brosseau might be one of the few that is guaranteed to be safe unless the other parties offer more prestigious candidates. You know the one that was in Vegas on a trip on election day. While she was definitely one of the worse MP to be elected, at least she quickly (or Mulcair did) worked to damage control everything. She moved in the riding, took intensive french lessons and appeared at all major local events. The whole "scandal" also brought her some notoriety. She's the equivalent of a reality show candidate.

gabbo

I read in a newspaper this morning that the NPD is about to "try and beat the conservatives at their own game" ; that is, a series of negative ads that would start soon, to coincide with the election of their new leader.

Blagh. Negative ads everywhere! But if that's what it takes to actually get something to stick on the CPC...

Hope they still have a few bucks left over for ads for Monday.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/22/pol-paradis-conflict-of-interest-commissioner.html

Conservative appointed ethics commissioner says a Conservative cabinet minister broke ethics rules put in place by the Conservatives in '06, relates to Rahim Jaffer case.
So far, nothing from minister or government on this. I don't expect Harper to do anything, give Paradis a pass on this.

It's not illegal if the Cons do it.

Hope they still have a few bucks left over for ads for Monday.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/22/pol-paradis-conflict-of-interest-commissioner.html

Conservative appointed ethics commissioner says a Conservative cabinet minister broke ethics rules put in place by the Conservatives in '06, relates to Rahim Jaffer case.
So far, nothing from minister or government on this. I don't expect Harper to do anything, give Paradis a pass on this.

It's not illegal if the Cons do it.

lol just posted that #304

no biggie though.. I saw the interview on cbc that's a riot.

gabbo

lol just posted that #304

no biggie though.. I saw the interview on cbc that's a riot.

Sorry about that, missed your post.
Yeah, that interview was.... well, that MP stayed on script the entire time, didn't answer a question or imply anything. If Paradis is canned, that guy has his job for sure.

lacinius

It's like lying, corrupt clockwork with these guys.
Set your watch to the bullshit.

So why even bother maintaining a Conflict of Interest Commissioner, when a clear and obvious breach of government ethics rules results in a, "nothing to see here, move along..."? It's kind of like maintaining a Public Sector Integrity Commissioner and then basically not investigating anything. But we'll let Christiane Ouimet field those questions.

gabbo

So why even bother maintaining a Conflict of Interest Commissioner, when a clear and obvious breach of government ethics rules results in a, "nothing to see here, move along..."? It's kind of like maintaining a Public Sector Integrity Commissioner and then basically not investigating anything. But we'll let Christiane Ouimet field those questions.

They can still hold up the Commissioner position as one of their initiates, and conveniently not bring up how their own party shoved its rulings aside when it wasn't to their liking.

Deadly

Anyone attend the student strike in Montreal yesterday? I'm glad some/most? here are against the rise in tuition fees. It's crazy how many of my friends and most of JMSB are against the strike.

Parch

If the NDP want to keep their seats here, they'll have to convince people that the candidates they presented and that won were not simply placeholders candidates because no one else wanted to run for the NDP. Unfortunately, many of these newly elected MP were in fact placeholders. Some were undergrad students with no political experience, other were low wage workers with no education and some were retired people.

It doesn't help that Lise St-Denis, the NDP MP which was elected in Jean Chrétien's riding decided to leave the NDP for the Liberals after talking with him. She even said that the Liberals' program was superior in her eyes to that of the NDP. Add to the fact that some can't speak french or don't even live in their ridings and you get a complete disaster and a party that seems to be run by a bunch of amateurs.

Hilariously, Ruth Ellen Brosseau might be one of the few that is guaranteed to be safe unless the other parties offer more prestigious candidates. You know the one that was in Vegas on a trip on election day. While she was definitely one of the worse MP to be elected, at least she quickly (or Mulcair did) worked to damage control everything. She moved in the riding, took intensive french lessons and appeared at all major local events. The whole "scandal" also brought her some notoriety. She's the equivalent of a reality show candidate.
This is exactly why a large part of the country has never taken the NDP party seriously.

maharg

idspispopd
This is exactly why a large part of the country has never taken the NDP party seriously.

That doesn't even make any sense. The NDP ran placeholder candidates in ridings they couldn't win just like every other party. If the Liberals suddenly surged in Alberta you'd have a bunch of shitty MPs out of it too. Trust me I've seen the candidates they run here.

Do you know anyone who expected any of those seats to turn orange before the deadline for nominations? Because if you did, I'd like to talk to them about lottery numbers.

maharg

idspispopd
Looks like Mulcair will win on the fourth ballot. Would take a miracle to put Topp over 50%. And since most votes were cast before the convention, it's not like there can be any kind of direct effort to make such a miracle happen.

So basically we have a leader of the official opposition again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

It's all about the money, it's all that keeps Harper in power. No one can beat them without the money.

Actually that is what is needed. NPD needs to be at the center of all that are opposed to the Conservatives, that way they can get money too, and ultimately beat them. It's too bad that things have to become polarized, but that's what happens when moneys rules. It's going to become like the US.

edit: Quebecers will love Mulcair if he is a wild dog, not another Layton. Quebecers will want someone who will attack the Conservatives. They believed Layton could beat Harper, he didn't. After that many years of shit they will vote for the guy who FIGHTS. Mulcair is the logical next step, it's going to be basically a replacement of Duceppe in people's minds. Bloc won't have this kind of leader, and even less so the Liberals.

I expect the Conservatives to do THE DIRTIEST campaign against Mulcair. They'll go all the way till he has to resign.

lacinius

It's like lying, corrupt clockwork with these guys.
Set your watch to the bullshit.

Not even a week later after being found in breach of government ethics rules, the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner has again been alerted to more allegations of ethical misconduct by Christian Paradis.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...t-of-interest-120327/20120327/?hub=OttawaHome

While some might think this is a non-story since so far these are just allegations, there is yet another investigation by the Ethics Commissionar where, "she confirmed that she had launched another investigation on Mr. Paradis’s alleged involvement in the transfer of a federal Employment Insurance office from an NDP-held riding in Rimouski, Que., into the Industry Minister’s riding.

Ms. Dawson, who was appointed in 2007, said she could not remember having to do so many investigations on a single Cabinet minister."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/27/no-lobbying-on-hunting-trip-christian-paradis-says/

Of course as Harper already confirmed last week, ethics rules do not apply to the current government. :\

So now that the retirement age is 67, I was wondering if this has an impact on my mother who is 53. They say it will be a slow or gradual move to 67 so I don't understand that. Im sure it will impact my mother but what about someone who was 64 and about to retire? Does that mean now they're fucked and have to go till 67? That would suck.

Typical conservative budget tactic, scare everyone by threatening insane amounts of cuts so people see it as a victory when the cuts are severe but not earth shattering

Guesong

Not liking the cuts to the CBC and Elections Canada, and the nearly 20,000 people getting fired. Something something creating jobs.

It sucks, it really does for those who will get cut. But it's sadly kind of a necessary evil. You cannot cut out the (excessive) fat from the government without hurting somebody. Savings can't just come out of thin air.

Boogie

$200 million cut from the RCMP. That's about 5% of the total budget.

But my understanding is that they can't really touch the provincial contract policing, which has agreed upon minimum levels of service. Which means the lion's share of cuts will be absorbed by federal policing operations. Yay. :-/

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So now that the retirement age is 67, I was wondering if this has an impact on my mother who is 53. They say it will be a slow or gradual move to 67 so I don't understand that. Im sure it will impact my mother but what about someone who was 64 and about to retire? Does that mean now they're fucked and have to go till 67? That would suck.
The changes to Old Age Security will mean little for anyone nearing retirement since the government doesn’t plan to start raising the age limit for another 11 years, starting in 2023. But starting in July anyone turning 65 can ask to voluntarily defer their OAS payments for five years and collect a higher cheque down the road, similar to the Canadian Pension Plan. Anyone born after February 1962, however, will have to start planning for retirement benefits at age 67.
http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/03/29/...oas-retirement-at-67-and-5-2-billion-in-cuts/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom