• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I dont think my picture looks washed out at all, that's with colour at 50 and DC off.
I've seen some low end HDR sets so I know what washed out looks like. Super saturated isn't exactly what HDR is supposed to be but of course, user preference.

buenoblue

I've recently reset my tv from the service menu. Put a hdr video on YouTube and the default settings for Hdr are backlight 18 and dynamic contrast set to high. Obviously this is Samsung's recommended setting for hdr.

Not sure if I like the look myself but might try it for a while. Also on Xbox one x I seem to get better hdr with ycc 4:2:2 checked in settings.

I've recently reset my tv from the service menu. Put a hdr video on YouTube and the default settings for Hdr are backlight 18 and dynamic contrast set to high. Obviously this is Samsung's recommended setting for hdr.

Samsung's default values are for selling TVs on bright, crowded show floors. Everything is usually cranked up to make them "pop".

Hostile_18

Banned
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem or I'm just been nitpicky! Got my screen replaced a few months ago and now I get like a line of light going across the top on some scenes mainly dark colours making it look like a two tone colour where it's all meant to be the same colour. It's really distracting but I don't know if I'm withing my rights to complain... or even what it is;

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/E4e6

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/E4eC

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/E4eU

TMCN

Neo Member
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem or I'm just been nitpicky! Got my screen replaced a few months ago and now I get like a line of light going across the top on some scenes mainly dark colours making it look like a two tone colour where it's all meant to be the same colour. It's really distracting but I don't know if I'm withing my rights to complain... or even what it is;

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/E4e6

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/E4eC

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/E4eU

I have this to a degree as well, it's just a result of the TV being edge lit. I've gotten around it by setting up bias lighting behind my TV.

Sanjay

Planet Earth II 4k HDR looked amazing on this tv using the avforums settings.

Dynamic contrast I tried but it looks off, you lose to much detail in any non day light scenes.

Hostile_18

Banned
I have this to a degree as well, it's just a result of the TV being edge lit. I've gotten around it by setting up bias lighting behind my TV.

See I didn't have it on my original set just this replacement nor the edge lit Sony before it. Given so many cheaper sets don't have it its a bit frustrating to put up with given the price of the unit. It's like there's a once inch frame inside the picture and everything in that frame is a different shade to the colour the rest of the tv is sbowing. It's only on darker colours but I find it distracting.

See I didn't have it on my original set just this replacement nor the edge lit Sony before it.

Not every panel suffers from this problem but it's fairly common with the edge-lit Samsung "quantum dot" TVs. It's one of those "lottery" things where some panels have it and some don't. When I was shopping around I noticed many of the demo units suffered from it but assumed it was because they were on full-blast 24/7. Maybe heat plays a factor? The edges get awfully warm with high backlight settings. My set hasn't started doing it yet but light uniformity along the bottom edge was never perfect and may gradually be getting worse. I was just tired of swapping out TVs and finally "settled" on the KS8000, warts and all, once I realized a perfect set simply wasn't out there. I still like my KS8000 a lot, but I'm glad I only paid $999 for it. Next set will be OLED. Hopefully the prices come down to that level at some point.

Aces&Eights

I think the problem with all of us right now is that we are so lost in the settings hole on this fucking overly complicated, change log free, compatibility retarded, overhyped piece of plastic that we don't know what looks or is supposed to look good anymore.

I am always happy with my current setup then I come in here or go to AVForums and read something and spend a hour redoing all my settings. I am my own worst enemy.

Not every panel suffers from this problem but it's fairly common with the edge-lit Samsung "quantum dot" TVs. It's one of those "lottery" things where some panels have it and some don't. When I was shopping around I noticed many of the demo units suffered from it but assumed it was because they were on full-blast 24/7. Maybe heat plays a factor? The edges get awfully warm with high backlight settings. My set hasn't started doing it yet but light uniformity along the bottom edge was never perfect and may gradually be getting worse. I was just tired of swapping out TVs and finally "settled" on the KS8000, warts and all, once I realized a perfect set simply wasn't out there. I still like my KS8000 a lot, but I'm glad I only paid $999 for it. Next set will be OLED. Hopefully the prices come down to that level at some point.

I bought a KU6300 refurbished from Ebay for $307. It also has the "issue" on all edges of the screen. The top, bottom, and both sides. But so does my BenQ Monitor.

Rathgore

Neo Member
For those interested in achieving the best possible picture I highly recommend paying for a professional ISF-certified calibration.

For movies especially there are industry standards that define what a "correct" image looks like and an ISF calibrator will use a colorimeter to actually measure the color output (as well as black level, contrast and other settings) to determine objectively how far from "correct" the image is. They will then adjust the TV including several options that are hidden within the service menu to achieve a picture as close to perfect as your set can produce. As each set has individual variances (and they change as the set ages) you cannot simply copy calibration settings from the Internet if you want the best image.

I have yet to have my KS8000 professionally calibrated, but I have done this with previous TVs I've owned and the difference is extraordinary, even compared to a thorough blue-filter calibration that I performed myself. In my experience, ISF calibration can make the difference between the image looking "great" and looking almost three dimensional, somewhat like looking through a window.

The more accurately the colors are represented the more your brain sees them as "real" and it makes a huge difference. As others have pointed out, an objectively correct picture can seem off at first. It will certainly seem too warm if you are used to the cooler defaults of most TVs and monitors. It is worth getting used to this and other screens will seem terrible after.

I prefer to find what is objectively the best image and then get used to it as most content is mastered to those standards and it's the only reliable way to view something the way it was intended by the content creators.

Regarding games, I have always found that once calibrated for reference content like movies, the calibrated image translates very well to gaming. It can cost $100 - $200 for calibration and you'll need to find someone certified in your area, but I consider it part of the cost of the TV in order to get the best out of it. I have heard Best Buy can do ISF-certified calibrations, but I can't speak to the quality.

And yes, TVs are horrendously and needlessly complicated these days. This is due in large part to the terrible software design of most TV interfaces and the terrible defaults that most TVs are set to in order to stand out on a showroom floor.

chaosaeon

For those interested in achieving the best possible picture I highly recommend paying for a professional ISF-certified calibration.

For movies especially there are industry standards that define what a "correct" image looks like.

You know what, I think I've realized something. I don't think I necessarily want a "technically correct" image for some things. Some games have washed out faded nights and that's the "correct" image. Some games have cartoonish colors but still have a semi realistic art style which can be an odd looking combination, but is still also correct . Some games have awful looking filters over the image that tint everything and that's technically correct. What I'm trying to find is a setting that looks good on the highest number of games, that can also maybe compensate for some visual design decisions I'm not personally a fan of at the same time.

And on top of that, everyone's TV is a little different (mine on auto or native color space has a reddish pink undertone that needs a very small amount more green added to get to neutral and that might mean my setting looks a touch too green if your set was more balanced out of the box). There's a ton of factors to consider. But I think I've almost got a great setting for non HDR games that I'll likely post soon if anyone would like to try it.

Rathgore

Neo Member
You know what, I think I've realized something. I don't think I necessarily want a "technically correct" image for some things. Some games have washed out faded nights and that's the "correct" image.

Totally fair point. At the end of the day it's about what you like best. One comment though:

And on top of that, everyone's TV is a little different (mine on auto or native color space has a reddish pink undertone that needs a very small amount more green added to get to neutral

How are you determining what is neutral? Comparing the colors while switching settings on the TV can mislead you. The brain is very biased towards noticing changes and a person's interpretation of that change can be way off from correct. If I want to adjust the color to taste, I always start with an objectively measured, neutral image calibrated to a 6500K (daylight) color temperature (Warm2 is the closest to this out of the box).

If I want to change from "correct" to suit my taste it's still very valuable to have a definitive neutral starting point. Since most of the content you'll watch is mastered for those neutral settings you can easily determine if your color choices are causing issues with the look of the content since you can always go back to straight neutral.

the210

So is this set known to be finicky with HDMAI handshakes? I've had to return a switch and a PS Pro because of hdmi problems. I tried many different cables and both systems had issues with the tv.

laxu

So is this set known to be finicky with HDMAI handshakes? I've had to return a switch and a PS Pro because of hdmi problems. I tried many different cables and both systems had issues with the tv.

Other than the input names getting messed up for some devices (mainly the Nintendo Switch) I haven't had any problems with HDMI beyond getting 4K+HDR working for long cable runs, which is a cable issue and not a problem with the TV.

Hostile_18

Banned

I've put a few better pictures up. I'm going to try and replace the set, I don't think its within my tolerance given how much I paid (£1400). The whole experience is putting me off Samsung. The build quality just isnt there.

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETP5

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETPZ

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETPc

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETPE

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETP4

Got my 65KS ISF calibrated last night. Took about 7 hours believe it or not. But holly shit what a difference, seems like a different TV to be honest. This is the first time I experienced a "calibrated warm 2" and I gotta tell you it has nothing to do with what the setting is out of the box.
Didn't get the chance to try too many games on my Pro and X, will do that tonight.

I've had this TV for a year and to be honest I'm still adjusting to the new settings. Seems I had too much blue out of the box which then fucked the whites and other things. Having a calibrated white makes all the difference.

Can't speak for other sets, but regarding mine the ISF calibrator found the sweet spot for contrast at 83 for SDR content. I was using 95 for fuck's sake. He showed me how I was loosing detail and whites had a pinkish hue.

Do this if you have the opportunity, the differences are staggering.

PS: he calibrated HDR for game mode but the fucking TV doesn't remember the settings so I have to settle with AUTO color space until that magic update is out. BTW, do we have any news on that?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I've put a few better pictures up. I'm going to try and replace the set, I don't think its within my tolerance given how much I paid (£1400). The whole experience is putting me off Samsung. The build quality just isnt there.

I'm from the UK, bought mine from Currys. Let me tell you, my image is NOTHING like that. Totally unacceptable. Get a replacement.

In fairness though, those are taken at height. What is the image like looking directly level with the screen?

I'll check mine tonight from height. I must say though I would have noticed light bleed like that. Is mine perfect? No. But its nothing compared to that. Definitely nothing distracting when playing games, movies or TV.

Edit....That second photo is pretty much directly level. Honestly that banding across the top of the screen shouldn't be there, don't accept that.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm from the UK, bought mine from Currys. Let me tell you, my image is NOTHING like that. Totally unacceptable. Get a replacement.

In fairness though, those are taken at height. What is the image like looking directly level with the screen?

I'll check mine tonight from height. I must say though I would have noticed light bleed like that. Is mine perfect? No. But its nothing compared to that. Definitely nothing distracting when playing games, movies or TV.

Edit....That second photo is pretty much directly level. Honestly that banding across the top of the screen shouldn't be there, don't accept that.

So glad to hear you say thisnisnt acceptable. It's only on dark scenes but horrible and distracting. I've sent the photos and an explanation to Samsung support before work. So the technical term is light bleed and banding? I'll have to Google it so I'm a bit more technically no. It is a carry on. I've got my fingers crossed they don't try and say it's within tolerance and I'm stuck with it.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
So glad to hear you say thisnisnt acceptable. It's only on dark scenes but horrible and distracting. I've sent the photos and an explanation to Samsung support before work. So the technical term is light bleed and banding? I'll have to Google it so I'm a bit more technically no. It is a carry on. I've got my fingers crossed they don't try and say it's within tolerance and I'm stuck with it.

I'm sure most people can agree that isnt acceptable. Isn't it UK law that you can return your product upto 30 days after purchase should you be unhappy with it?
How long have you had it?
No one would reasonably reject your request for a replacement.
Its a great TV. Youre just unlucky

Hostile_18

Banned
I bought it in November last year. Had to get the main panel replaced by Samsung in July this year. Then this one has developed the above fault(s) which to my eyes has got worse and worse.

I've contacted the same number as last time hopefully it's covered. To pay this much and have two tv's develop faults withing the space of a year is pretty shocking. I'd be happy with a downgrade but better build quality tbh.

dibella360

Banned
From a trusted insider at AVS Forum:

GAME MODE HDR:
Distribution of the firmware update has already begun (I have it on my Q9 but cannot test it because I no longer have a game console). This update will trigger HDR settings (color space, brightness, contrast, etc.) while in GAME MODE.

SCREEN BRIGHTNESS FLUCTUATION:
This effect is random and appears to affect different signal sources to varying degrees dependent on content. No timeline on a potential fix.

AUDIO SYNC ISSUES:
Unsolved at this point; the lab setups do not consistently reproduce the issue, making it virtually impossible to identify the cause of glitch.

HDR "POP-UP" NOTICE:
The software engineers are looking at the possibility of reinstating this feature. No timeline given.

ENHANCED INFO BANNER:
They are looking into whether the current processors can enable the TVs to display (for streaming sources) the level of detail the INFO BANNERS on the 2017 UHD BDPs provide for discs.

CALIBRATION-RELATED ISSUES:
The head of USA tech support wants to review the severity and number of incidents prior to committing resources to address any problems. Please go to the Samsung tech support chat, and discuss your specific issues with the CSRs; send me the ticket number via PM so that I can forward them to the head of tech support.

HDMI 2.1 FEATURES:
2016 & 2017 TVs are being tested to see if a firmware revision will allow full compatibility with HDR10+ via HDMI. VRR is specified primarily for the gaming environment, and will more than likely not be featured until the debut of the 2018 models, as is 4K @ 120Hz.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...0-ks8500-owners-thread-1018.html#post55180078

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What hand shake issues are you having?

Got my 65KS ISF calibrated last night. Took about 7 hours believe it or not. But holly shit what a difference, seems like a different TV to be honest. This is the first time I experienced a "calibrated warm 2" and I gotta tell you it has nothing to do with what the setting is out of the box.
Didn't get the chance to try too many games on my Pro and X, will do that tonight.

I've had this TV for a year and to be honest I'm still adjusting to the new settings. Seems I had too much blue out of the box which then fucked the whites and other things. Having a calibrated white makes all the difference.

Can't speak for other sets, but regarding mine the ISF calibrator found the sweet spot for contrast at 83 for SDR content. I was using 95 for fuck's sake. He showed me how I was loosing detail and whites had a pinkish hue.

Do this if you have the opportunity, the differences are staggering.

PS: he calibrated HDR for game mode but the fucking TV doesn't remember the settings so I have to settle with AUTO color space until that magic update is out. BTW, do we have any news on that?

7 HOURS!?! Got dang! Was it truely worth it? And how much you pay to have someone do that?

TMCN

Neo Member

Is it worth RMAing the panel for the edge light problem? My TV is still under warranty until Jan 2018.

the210

What hand shake issues are you having?

7 HOURS!?! Got dang! Was it truely worth it? And how much you pay to have someone do that?

The switch kept changing my input every hour or so when it wasn't in use and the Pro would go to a black screen every few minutes of play.

Jamesbonz

Neo Member
Told my father over the phone to look into a KS8000 as per this thread, my roommate overheard and he said this TV is old news and said Sony x900e is the new hotness. What do I recommend my poor ol' father?

Jimmy_liv

That's not right. I've got the same tv and have a bit of the edge lit issues but that's not what that is. That's really bad. Get onto Samsung and have it replaced mate.

Told my father over the phone to look into a KS8000 as per this thread, my roommate overheard and he said this TV is old news and said Sony x900e is the new hotness. What do I recommend my poor ol' father?

I had both before I returned the 900e, both good but the 900e was a tad too dim with hdr for my tastes compared with ks8500 (curved version), I didnt find the local dimming all that as people are making it out to be (assume 930e does this better with more zones). Considering ks8000 is discontinued and differences aren't that big, I say 900e

saltyramen

GAME MODE HDR:
Distribution of the firmware update has already begun (I have it on my Q9 but cannot test it because I no longer have a game console). This update will trigger HDR settings (color space, brightness, contrast, etc.) while in GAME MODE.

This effect is random and appears to affect different signal sources to varying degrees dependent on content. No timeline on a potential fix.

AUDIO SYNC ISSUES:
Unsolved at this point; the lab setups do not consistently reproduce the issue, making it virtually impossible to identify the cause of glitch.

HDR "POP-UP" NOTICE:
The software engineers are looking at the possibility of reinstating this feature. No timeline given.

ENHANCED INFO BANNER:
They are looking into whether the current processors can enable the TVs to display (for streaming sources) the level of detail the INFO BANNERS on the 2017 UHD BDPs provide for discs.

The head of USA tech support wants to review the severity and number of incidents prior to committing resources to address any problems. Please go to the Samsung tech support chat, and discuss your specific issues with the CSRs; send me the ticket number via PM so that I can forward them to the head of tech support.

HDMI 2.1 FEATURES:
2016 & 2017 TVs are being tested to see if a firmware revision will allow full compatibility with HDR10+ via HDMI. VRR is specified primarily for the gaming environment, and will more than likely not be featured until the debut of the 2018 models, as is 4K @ 120Hz.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...0-ks8500-owners-thread-1018.html#post55180078

why tf did they remove the pop up feature in the first place? who in the actual fuck thought that was a good idea

GAME MODE HDR:

AUDIO SYNC ISSUES:

HDR "POP-UP" NOTICE:

ENHANCED INFO BANNER:

HDMI 2.1 FEATURES:

Can anyone confirm if the update is up in EU? And what number does it have?

laxu

why tf did they remove the pop up feature in the first place? who in the actual fuck thought that was a good idea

Ideally HDR should be something that just comes on and you don't have to worry about it but at this point it should at least be an optional toggle so you know for sure HDR is working correctly. I mean I don't really care to see that HDR banner for things I know that are already working fine in HDR.

I would be really stoked if my current TV could get an updated One Connect box that made 4K @ 120 Hz possible. I think I would be reasonably chuffed even for getting a software update that made higher refresh rates available at lower resolutions as HDMI 2.0 should handle for example 1440p @ 120 Hz I believe.

Is it worth RMAing the panel for the edge light problem? My TV is still under warranty until Jan 2018.

If you’re not happy with it, and you’re willing to deal with the hassle, then by all means go ahead. Just keep in mind that there are few perfect panels and the replacement may suffer from some other issue. If the problem with the current panel is bad enough, its worth the gamble.

chaosaeon

Totally fair point. At the end of the day it's about what you like best. One comment though:

How are you determining what is neutral? Comparing the colors while switching settings on the TV can mislead you. The brain is very biased towards noticing changes and a person's interpretation of that change can be way off from correct. If I want to adjust the color to taste, I always start with an objectively measured, neutral image calibrated to a 6500K (daylight) color temperature (Warm2 is the closest to this out of the box).

If I want to change from "correct" to suit my taste it's still very valuable to have a definitive neutral starting point. Since most of the content you'll watch is mastered for those neutral settings you can easily determine if your color choices are causing issues with the look of the content since you can always go back to straight neutral.

For me, since I'm trying to find settings for games, I'll use several different games and various saves from different times of day or locations in those games to get an idea of how settings will look under different conditions. For getting a feel of what neutral should be, I'll load a game that has a set time of day instead of a day/night cycle but that also has a lot of colors within the same scene to get a feel for tints and other temperatures that might feel off. Despite being a little cartoonish in color, the chapter where you just walk around in the village of Uncharted 2 for example has flags that are red, green, blue, and yellow and the scene is supposed to be a very clear noon time of day with blue sky, green grass and very light almost off white tinted stone buildings. On auto and native color space (on my set anyway), the stone for the houses in that area had a slight pinkish hue hiding under the pale whitish yellows. Raising the greens in white balance and removing blues from reds in color space made the whole picture look less tinted and more "clear".

I've been trying to do that for each color, balancing them with white balance settings to make some colors pop more than others while trying to avoid the tinting you can get from messing with white balance settings by changing the color space settings so it still looks good. Then I'll load a chapter at night, or one during a snow scene or a sunset and see how it looks. Then if it's still looking pretty nice I'll try a different game with a Day/Night cycle (I've been checking Black Flag) and see how it looks there. If there's no undesirable tints there and the palm trees still have the right level of popping yellow-green against the sky and nothing looks too cartoony or too unsaturated then I'll move on to another game. Everybody's eyes and TVs are likely subject to error and differences of course, but I'm liking how it's been going for non HDR games so far.

madjackal

For me, since I'm trying to find settings for games, I'll use several different games and various saves from different times of day or locations in those games to get an idea of how settings will look under different conditions. For getting a feel of what neutral should be, I'll load a game that has a set time of day instead of a day/night cycle but that also has a lot of colors within the same scene to get a feel for tints and other temperatures that might feel off. Despite being a little cartoonish in color, the chapter where you just walk around in the village of Uncharted 2 for example has flags that are red, green, blue, and yellow and the scene is supposed to be a very clear noon time of day with blue sky, green grass and very light almost off white tinted stone buildings. On auto and native color space (on my set anyway), the stone for the houses in that area had a slight pinkish hue hiding under the pale whitish yellows. Raising the greens in white balance and removing blues from reds in color space made the whole picture look less tinted and more "clear".

I've been trying to do that for each color, balancing them with white balance settings to make some colors pop more than others while trying to avoid the tinting you can get from messing with white balance settings by changing the color space settings so it still looks good. Then I'll load a chapter at night, or one during a snow scene or a sunset and see how it looks. Then if it's still looking pretty nice I'll try a different game with a Day/Night cycle (I've been checking Black Flag) and see how it looks there. If there's no undesirable tints there and the palm trees still have the right level of popping yellow-green against the sky and nothing looks too cartoony or too unsaturated then I'll move on to another game. Everybody's eyes and TVs are likely subject to error and differences of course, but I'm liking how it's been going for non HDR games so far.

Can you post your white balance settings? Having a hard time finding a good baseline from which to start.

chaosaeon

Can you post your white balance settings? Having a hard time finding a good baseline from which to start.

I'll need to post the whole settings including color space, not just the white balance, (which I do plan to do though) because my white balance settings on normal color space likely look messed up since I adjusted the color space to allow for that weirder white balance. For example, say you raise the greens in white balance because you like vibrant grass and trees in games, just doing that can also tint the whole picture and then everything looks a little weird. But if you change some values in color space, you can counter that while still having the greens pop more on things that matter from the white balance. With changed color space and white balance settings, you can have the normal color saturation value at like 30 and still have the picture be very vibrant when it would normally need to be in the 40's.

There's also some weird territory you can get into messing with the gamma and then basing settings off of changes to that too. I will see how it's looking for a few more different games and then maybe open it up for some criticism, lol. Maybe people can take it and improve it even further. But basically it feels like if you change one thing, you end up having to change several others.

If youre just doing this by eye you will never stop doing it. Games follow 0 standards. The best you can do is get an accurate base on your TV and hope the game has half decent gamma etc and possible in game controls to make adjustments if you don't like the proper look you would get from a hardware assisted calibration. Same with HDR until a standard is choosen every other game or movie may look off.

Current Tv's just aren't utilizing the new standards enough that it's not worth constantly messing with stuff because you can't do anything about it.

We're still a few years away from HDR and the new colour standards being implemented properly.

I feel like you're fighting a battle you can't possibly win here.

chaosaeon

If youre just doing this by eye you will never stop doing it. Games follow 0 standards. The best you can do is get an accurate base on your TV and hope the game has half decent gamma etc and possible in game controls to make adjustments if you don't like the proper look you would get from a hardware assisted calibration. Same with HDR until a standard is choosen every other game or movie may look off.

Current Tv's just aren't utilizing the new standards enough that it's not worth constantly messing with stuff because you can't do anything about it.

We're still a few years away from HDR and the new colour standards being implemented properly.

I feel like you're fighting a battle you can't possibly win here.

Lol I know, that's absolutely true, but I end up doing it anyway because it's also kind of fun honestly. Games where it's night time but the sky is a washed out green or blue will forever baffle me as to why they were made that way though. Games like Far Cry 4 where night time looks green and almost as bright as an overcast day :/. I wish games would have 75% darker skies at night in general. Not the game world in terms of how the ground is lit or anything, just the background of the sky itself. That'd make a lot of games look so much better.

Top Bottom