• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I'm very late to the party but I just a KS9500. It was a very good price here in Mexico considering 2017 models are not that good in this price range and OLED is just too expensive for me.

I haven't had the chance to test it thoroughly but so far I'm happy with the performance. It does have backlight issues but from my perspective it's something that consumers have to deal with at this price range.

I have my pc connected with a long hdmi cable so 4k performance is very crappy (sound stutters) and at the beginning I also had issues with 1080P and HDR but suddenly it started working just fine. I will relocate the PC closer to the TV but so far I liked how Nex Machina looked with HDR turned on.

Nice! I'm sure it's a great TV should be very bright.

Should I enable the checkbox on the xbox one called "Allow YCC 4:2:2"? Will this ever harm the image or is it just fine to let the console do it?

If you aren’t having problems with black screens or dropped signal then there is no reason to turn that on as far as I know. I believe it is there for compatibility with some older TVs and equipment.

OrionFalls

Warm 2 is technically correct, it's the standard that Hollywood and game studios master to, but almost everyone in these threads uses Warm 1, including myself.
Warm2 I prefer personally. Stay with it for a while and when you go back to Warm1 the image seems washed out and less colorful in general.
I tried both last night, and Warm1 definitely feels more natural than Warm2. I can’t unsee the overly yellow hue on the latter.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sadly, shopping for a good TV these days is 50% research and 50% pure luck. All the specs and test results in the world won't matter if you happen to get a bad panel, and they are pretty common among all the brands in my experience. I have returned LCD TVs from LG, Panasonic, and Sony for various uniformity issues, and as we've seen Samsung suffers as well. I played the "panel lottery" for years before I got a set I was really happy with.

And even with all of that, the next TV I get will be

1. Dynamic HDR
2. At least 4K with a HDMI 2.1 spec
3. OLED

Those 3 boxes at a minimum have to be checked.

1. Dynamic HDR
3. OLED

Yup. Last year I got a KS9000 and was going to sell it in order to get the Sony X930e but I held off and will hold off for a couple years until OLED get higher peak brightness relative to LEDs and the HDMI 2.1 spec becomes the standard.

KS9000 will serve me well for the next 2-3 years.

Hostile_18

Banned
Warm 2 was very very close out of the box on my set. Was almost a waste of $300 to have it calibrated.....

Does make you wonder if all games are mastered for Warm 2 when that must be what about 5% of what the userbase uses. Most people in all honestly will never touch there tvs settings.

base

Banned

1. Dynamic HDR
3. OLED

I wouldn't want to disappoint you but OLED is still a baby technology. Burn-in is the main problem with this technology. I recommend you checking rtings.com for OLED burn-in test compared with LED TVs. Some TV sets are having serious problems even after a month!

chaosaeon

To all the warm 2 haters : using any settings, and then switching to warm 2 on those will look too yellow because your settings are already set with Warm 1 in mind. If you set to Warm 2, and then start changing your settings, you can manually balance it with things like the blues in white balance. Warm 2 can look just like Warm 1 depending on your settings.

To all the warm 2 haters : using any settings, and then switching to warm 2 on those will look too yellow because your settings are already set with Warm 1 in mind. If you set to Warm 2, and then start changing your settings, you can manually balance it with things like the blues in white balance. Warm 2 can look just like Warm 1 depending on your settings.

So then what's the point of Warm 2 if ostensibly you can get a Warm 1 "look" without having to fudge with other settings?

🤔

OrionFalls

So then what's the point of Warm 2 if ostensibly you can get a Warm 1 "look" without having to fudge with other settings?
tenor.gif

Composer

I hate the warm setting piss filter. Neutral for life. I want white to be white not light yellow.

Actually the warm 1 and 2 settings are closer to white. On neutral, the whites are like blueish tinted white. You are just used to it because most screens tend to be like that now. If you switch to warm 1 for a week and the try out your phone, you'll realize how blue your screen is.

vpance

So Warm 1 or Warm 2?

What do the content creators target closer to?

Warm 2 for sure. Just keep it on for more than a few minutes and your eyes will adjust.

I was a user of Cool for a long time on my plasmas since it gave a higher perceived brightness but that's not necessary anymore.

chaosaeon

So Warm 1 or Warm 2?

What do the content creators target closer to?

I also started my current settings from Warm 2. Don't worry, blues will still look blue. It just takes a little for your eyes to adjust but I've heard Warm 2 is the closest to the content creators as well. Just use Warm 2 as a base, and then make personal tweaks from there.

Man, the idea of calibrating my tv based off youtube content is hilarious to me. I really am an old fuddy duddy now.
I think they're referring to the creators of TV, films, and basically everything else, and what the standard is for accuracy relevant to how they were envisioned.

Warm 2 is usually closest to 6500K colour temp out of the box on Samsung TV's. The problem is, it isn't 6500K until you get your screen properly calibrated.

So for sake of argument lets say warm 2 is 6000K and warm 1 is 7500K. It would be easier to calibrate the 500K difference than it would the 1000K difference. So Warm 2 is closer to the 6500K standard.

The thing is we are not calibrating the TV with a colorimeter. Our eyes are going to notice the large amount of red tint on Warm 2 more so than the large amount of blue tint on Warm 1. Whites with blue tint still look subjectively correct, more so than whites with too much red tint.

When you have a screen professionally calibrated then you will soon realise that both warm 1 and warm 2 are both wrong. With a calibrated display your whites are not red-tinted yellow like they are in Warm 2, white is white and grey is grey.

I imagine there is a lot of people using Warm 2 when they don't want to just because they believe its correct. Neither warm 1 or 2 are correct, no matter how close the numbers are.

TL;DR pick what you prefer, you wont be "Wrong"

Hostile_18

Banned
So I've got the engineers out tonorrow to replace the pannel AGAIN. So I'll check for lightbleed and dead pixels.. anything else I should check for? Are people's back pannels perfectly flush all the way around? One thing I noticed on the replacement was they were using less tape (just a few inch square dots).

Edit; on the subject of calibration. I use warm 1 with dc turned off etc. It's crazy how "wrong" everything looks going back to the default picture settings of Neautral and colour Native (Not Auto).

RPS37

I think I read on AVS forums that you don't need to switch your Xbox one x to 10 bit to do HDR because it switches automatically.
Is that a bunch of bs and or did I read something wrong?

M_A_C

Warm 2 is usually closest to 6500K colour temp out of the box on Samsung TV's. The problem is, it isn't 6500K until you get your screen properly calibrated.

So for sake of argument lets say warm 2 is 6000K and warm 1 is 7500K. It would be easier to calibrate the 500K difference than it would the 1000K difference. So Warm 2 is closer to the 6500K standard.

The thing is we are not calibrating the TV with a colorimeter. Our eyes are going to notice the large amount of red tint on Warm 2 more so than the large amount of blue tint on Warm 1. Whites with blue tint still look subjectively correct, more so than whites with too much red tint.

When you have a screen professionally calibrated then you will soon realise that both warm 1 and warm 2 are both wrong. With a calibrated display your whites are not red-tinted yellow like they are in Warm 2, white is white and grey is grey.

I imagine there is a lot of people using Warm 2 when they don't want to just because they believe its correct. Neither warm 1 or 2 are correct, no matter how close the numbers are.

TL;DR pick what you prefer, you wont be "Wrong"

Thanks that is some good info. I've been using standard because of the yellow tint to warm 1 and 2.

Melubas

So I checked my screen with a flashlight this weekend (big mistake, I know) and found the entire screen covered in small dots that don't come off with a dry cloth. Almost like the kind you get if you use hairspray when wearing glasses. I tried rubbing softly with a damp cloth but it still doesn't come off. I don't think it actually impacts the picture quality but it's annoying. Has anyone tried monitor wipes on this tv? Are they generally safe to use? It seems convenient since you get about a hundred of them and it's cheap, and you can just throw them away after. I have bad experiences with cheap gel cleaners though so a bit hesitant.

Bravestarr

Neo Member
I am very happy with my KS7090 EU Modell of the KS8000. But in the last few weeks I have problems starting the YouTube app. It has menu glitches or hangs completely.

Then I long press the back button to restart the app. But is this normal? I mean it is the most used app on every tv after Netflix.

So I checked my screen with a flashlight this weekend (big mistake, I know) and found the entire screen covered in small dots that don't come off with a dry cloth. Almost like the kind you get if you use hairspray when wearing glasses. I tried rubbing softly with a damp cloth but it still doesn't come off. I don't think it actually impacts the picture quality but it's annoying. Has anyone tried monitor wipes on this tv? Are they generally safe to use? It seems convenient since you get about a hundred of them and it's cheap, and you can just throw them away after. I have bad experiences with cheap gel cleaners though so a bit hesitant.

I think every 65ks out there has those, including mine. Provide some pics so we know what you mean.

warm 1 warm 2 standard debate

Got my screen ISF calibrated about a week ago. The difference between a "out of the box warm 2" and a calibrated one is staggering. I was a standard/normal user for years, but now that my set is calibrated there's no way I can go back to warm 1 or standard. White becomes blue, it's the truth. Here are a couple of screens the ISF guy took after he worked on my set(this is warm 2).
Interesting fact: custom color space calibrated is different in game mode and movie mode.

87c48075-8701-4269-83a3-98e9096470f9.png

7590d2a4-875e-4661-b380-ac59680d3388.png

I am very happy with my KS7090 EU Modell of the KS8000. But in the last few weeks I have problems starting the YouTube app. It has menu glitches or hangs completely.

Then I long press the back button to restart the app. But is this normal? I mean it is the most used app on every tv after Netflix.
press the turn off button for a while until the suhd logo appears. It will reset your apps memory.
By the way, warm 1 team here. Warm 2 uses to blur the background a lot.

laxu

I have similar issues with KS7005 (Nordic KS8000). Apps will often hang and have to force quit by holding back button and restarting the app. I have had to reset the smart hub several times during the time I've owned it because some app has gone to a state where even force quitting it doesn't work.

It is also completely random, everything can work one day then the next day the apps have crashed and need to be restarted or they have trouble connecting even though the TV is connected to a perfectly working router via ethernet.

My next TV will not be a Samsung considering how poorly the Smart Hub works.

buenoblue

My solution is to hold back to force quite an app when I've finished using it. That way it starts fresh when I open it again. It's when an app has been sleeping in the background that messes them up.

VicViper

So, reading through a few posts in the AVSforum thread it now appears that the Samsung "insider" is now backtracking on the whole "HDR settings for game mode will be fixed" in next firmware update promise.

To say the least, it's super disappointing and I pretty much give up all hope at this point that this issue will ever be addressed by Samsung. I still love this TV but with more HDR games coming out, it's becoming more and more of a problem with this set.

I tried both last night, and Warm1 definitely feels more natural than Warm2. I can’t unsee the overly yellow hue on the latter.
Warm 2– you can’t just go back and forth with it. You need to give it a week to get used to it. Your eyes think bluish-white is white right now.

dzuser

Neo Member
I think every 65ks out there has those, including mine. Provide some pics so we know what you mean.

warm 1 warm 2 standard debate

Got my screen ISF calibrated about a week ago. The difference between a "out of the box warm 2" and a calibrated one is staggering. I was a standard/normal user for years, but now that my set is calibrated there's no way I can go back to warm 1 or standard. White becomes blue, it's the truth. Here are a couple of screens the ISF guy took after he worked on my set(this is warm 2).
Interesting fact: custom color space calibrated is different in game mode and movie mode.

87c48075-8701-4269-83a3-98e9096470f9.png

7590d2a4-875e-4661-b380-ac59680d3388.png

Those screens look excellent. Any possibility you could post your settings (Inc. Custom Color Space)?

Thanks.

So, reading through a few posts in the AVSforum thread it now appears that the Samsung "insider" is now backtracking on the whole "HDR settings for game mode will be fixed" in next firmware update promise.

He did? His last post about it on 11-30 said this:

HDR GAME MODE PATCH - STATUS UPDATE FOR DEPLOYMENT:

I just opened an email I received four hours ago from the head of the South Korea engineering team. He confirms that the patch for the 2016 models is ready to go; however, it has not yet been put on the network. He will advise me when they do so.

Those screens look excellent. Any possibility you could post your settings (Inc. Custom Color Space)?

Thanks.

I can post my settings later, but I'm afraid white balance and custom color space won't do much for you since every set comes out the factory doors with different characteristics. I wanted you guys to see what a calibrated warm 2 can look like - vibrant, correct whites and greys, but most of all none of that yellow hue people keep complaining about.

My solution is to hold back to force quite an app when I've finished using it. That way it starts fresh when I open it again. It's when an app has been sleeping in the background that messes them up.

This is what I do too. I haven't had a Youtube glitch in ages. In addition to the normal things like making sure your firmware is up to date, you can also delete apps and reinstall them. That might help.

He has a 2017 Q9 set, not a 2016 KS8000. Those firmwares aren't the same and it's not strange that the Q9 could get a feature before the old models.

A.Romero

Screen cleaning products are hit or miss with panels that use moth eye filter like these series. I've read about some people using a green solution sold by Phillips.

It's not available in my country so I can't vouch for it. Samsung recommends using a slightly damp microfiber.

Be careful, some people have reported blue tinted streaks appearing when using products and some even say they just used alcohol.

Screen cleaning products are hit or miss with panels that use moth eye filter like these series.

I think the basic rule-of-thumb is if you can't see the smuge/spot/etc. during normal viewing, then don't try to clean it. It's not worth the risk because you may make things far worse. My dog has gotten several spots of...drool I guess on the screen, but I can only see them when the set is turned off or I'm looking at it from an extreme angle, so I've let it be.

I've had to clean visible smudges off before, though. I have a Monster brand screen cleaning cloth and spray solution I got at Best Buy years ago that has worked well on the screen. I spray the cloth once or twice, then very gently wipe the affected area very lightly in a circular motion and then allow it to dry. No residue or ill-effects. Do not try to clean the whole screen. Whatever you do, do not apply too much pressure. That can fuck up these edge-lit LCD panels quicker than anything.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wouldn't want to disappoint you but OLED is still a baby technology. Burn-in is the main problem with this technology. I recommend you checking rtings.com for OLED burn-in test compared with LED TVs. Some TV sets are having serious problems even after a month!

ARGH!!! Is that why I'm getting burn-in on my Samsung S7 after 18 months?

Top Bottom