• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

philm87

I've resorted to turning DC off for hdr content and putting the gamma up to 3. In my mind the hdr looks the best it ever has, but I'll probably end up changing again in a few weeks! Only really tried this on Shadow of War on ps pro and Stranger things on Netflix.

I've resorted to turning DC off for hdr content and putting the gamma up to 3. In my mind the hdr looks the best it ever has, but I'll probably end up changing again in a few weeks! Only really tried this on Shadow of War on ps pro and Stranger things on Netflix.

Hmmm at 3 and blacks aren't grey? Maybe I'll mess around with that, I feel that some blacks are crushed

DjRalford

Anyone else’s KS reset source tags regularly?

Every 2nd or 3rd time I turn something on it resets the tag back to HDMI#, this also causes it to kick my PC out of PC mode.

laxu

Anyone else’s KS reset source tags regularly?

Every 2nd or 3rd time I turn something on it resets the tag back to HDMI#, this also causes it to kick my PC out of PC mode.

I've never had this happen with my PC or PS4, only with my Nintendo Switch.

Boss Man

Is there any way to switch Gaming Mode on/off without going into the settings menu? It would be nice if there was some sort of shortcut. Makes using consoles for anything other than games sort of a pain.

Is there any way to switch Gaming Mode on/off without going into the settings menu? It would be nice if there was some sort of shortcut. Makes using consoles for anything other than games sort of a pain.

There isn't that I'm aware of. It's such a pain but I've just gotten use to it especially on the input where I have my Scorpio hooked up to because I have my set top box set up through it. Every time I'll switch to play a game I have to switch over to game mode, when watching Netflix or tv through my set top box I switch off game mode.

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
What's some good settings for watching 4k on Netflix?

Netflix is a constant problem for me because their HDR shows are usually way too dark.

The gamma setting lightens the picture but it does mess with the colours quite a bit (especially if you're using it at a high setting). Same with Dynamic Contrast.

In the end I've ended up using DC off, and simply bumping up the Brightness a couple of notches (so, 47 for Netflix HDR rather than 45 for SDR). This helps to alleviate black crush, especially on the really dark shows like Daredevil, and the overall picture is still very natural. But everyone seems to be settling on different combinations of settings.

Pantz

Anyone know how to prevent my Xbox One X and my DVR from turning on automatically when switching inputs and turning the TV on?

I have Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) turned off and it's still happening. It doesn't happen with my PS4 Pro, PS3 or 360, just my DVR and Xbox One X.

gt86

Anyone know how to prevent my Xbox One X and my DVR from turning on automatically when switching inputs and turning the TV on?

I have Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) turned off and it's still happening. It doesn't happen with my PS4 Pro, PS3 or 360, just my DVR and Xbox One X.

I'm having the same issue with my one x, can't figure it out

base

Banned
One of the biggest companies in the world which can't fix a simple problem (at least for them) for more than a year.

This will be my last TV from Samsung. Going back to Sony's next time.

One of the biggest companies in the world which can't fix a simple problem (at least for them) for more than a year.

This will be my last TV from Samsung. Going back to Sony's next time.

I've been lurking that AVSF thread and nothing against this Rudy1 person but yea it's disappointing that this new update posted today doesn't fix the HDR/game mode issue.

I purchased a KS9000 a year ago last Friday and I feel like perhaps I should have waited for this year's Sony X930e. Next TV will definitely be a Sony.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
The 1208.2 just became available to me. Is it a good version?? Or should I wait for 1209??

According to the official thread on AVSforums 1209.171114 is already available to download from samsung download centre but does not include the game mode HDR fix :-(

DanEON

According to the official thread on AVSforums 1209.171114 is already available to download from samsung download centre but does not include the game mode HDR fix :-(

My TV is the KS7000 (Brazil version of KS8000), so the updates are only available like 1 month later. =(
The 1208.2 just became available today, but I would like to know if it is a good version. Because it looks like if has some issues like the HDR info.

base

Banned
I've been lurking that AVSF thread and nothing against this Rudy1 person but yea it's disappointing that this new update posted today doesn't fix the HDR/game mode issue.

I purchased a KS9000 a year ago last Friday and I feel like perhaps I should have waited for this year's Sony X930e. Next TV will definitely be a Sony.
My list isn't only limited to the HDR settings switching. Every firmware makes my Smart Control less responsive. HDMI Switching with PS4's Rest Mode is still not fixed, I have to switch to 'TV' otherwise the console turns on automatically.

Most of apps available in Tizen are useless. I regret saying farewell to my old Android TV, Sony W809C.

My TV is the KS7000 (Brazil version of KS8000), so the updates are only available like 1 month later. =(
The 1208.2 just became available today, but I would like to know if it is a good version. Because it looks like if has some issues like the HDR info.

Would like to know this as well. I'm still on 1201 and don't know if I should update to 1208 or not.

My list isn't only limited to the HDR settings switching. Every firmware makes my Smart Control less responsive. HDMI Switching with PS4's Rest Mode is still not fixed, I have to switch to 'TV' otherwise the console turns on automatically.

Most of apps available in Tizen are useless. I regret saying farewell to my old Android TV, Sony W809C.

Smart control was such a pain I just turned it off. Don't get me wrong I like the IQ of my set but the pump backlight up to 20 for HDR capable game, then pump back down was at first a hassle. Now I've gotten use to it but I shouldn't have had to.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Very surprised to read some of this stuff.

Hostile_18

Banned
I've put a few better pictures up. I'm going to try and replace the set, I don't think its within my tolerance given how much I paid (£1400). The whole experience is putting me off Samsung. The build quality just isnt there.

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETP5

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETPZ

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETPc

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETPE

https://imageupload.co.uk/image/ETP4

Ok so 6 days later got a response. First they said my lesser issue of lightbleed was within tolerance. That I should just turn down the brightness. I said well for HDR content at the very least the recommended setting is 20. They seemed to have skipped the main issue of the red rectangle on darker scenes so debated that for a bit and then the phone assistant said I hadn't sent the test picture screens.. which I had and proved after some back and forth. Then had to go over why the error wasnt coming up on those screens (because its a bright scene). Anyways 32 minutes later after talking with someone else her side, she issued an engineer to come out.

Shortly after that the service centre phoned and (presumably from the photos) said they have ordered a new pannel straight away. So went from one extreme of no action to the other in one afternoon.

Hopefully third time lucky! Wouldn't risk a Samsung again... Just too much risk getting a decent pannel. Don't even get my started on how the back pannel is held on by tape (second pannel has even less tape than the first).

All that been said if this one is decent I'll have got the best value for money at the time... Just not really worth all this hassle.

All that been said if this one is decent I'll have got the best value for money at the time... Just not really worth all this hassle.

Sadly, shopping for a good TV these days is 50% research and 50% pure luck. All the specs and test results in the world won't matter if you happen to get a bad panel, and they are pretty common among all the brands in my experience. I have returned LCD TVs from LG, Panasonic, and Sony for various uniformity issues, and as we've seen Samsung suffers as well. I played the "panel lottery" for years before I got a set I was really happy with.

the210

I will definitely be getting OLED next time. BTW has does anyone know how much these 65 in TV's or going for used. I just might put mine on the market.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

Good on you for sticking to your guns. Its a fantastic TV once everything comes together. I certainly hope it does for you this time.

OLED for me next. I do not like the panel lottery one bit.

Still no news on the fabled hdr game firmware. I hope its still coming.

Here's today's update from Rudy1 on AVSForum

Rudy1 said:
HDR GAME MODE PATCH - STATUS UPDATE FOR DEPLOYMENT:

I just opened an email I received four hours ago from the head of the South Korea engineering team. He confirms that the patch for the 2016 models is ready to go; however, it has not yet been put on the network. He will advise me when they do so.

Please note that when OTN distribution begins it could take several weeks before all eligible TVs in the various global markets "see" the firmware and download it. Requests for a direct download have not been approved, but I expect that once the OTN distribution is well underway the patch will eventually be hosted on their websites.

I realize there has been some disappointment and distrust regarding this issue and Rudy1 but I sincerely hope he's right and the patch is on its way.

OrionFalls

What’s the consensus regarding Warm1 and Warm2? I’d been using the latter up until 2 days ago, when I switched to Warm1 and realised just how yellow Warm2 is.

What’s the consensus regarding Warm1 and Warm2? I’d been using the latter up until 2 days ago, when I switched to Warm1 and realised just how yellow Warm2 is.

Warm 2 is technically correct, it's the standard that Hollywood and game studios master to, but almost everyone in these threads uses Warm 1, including myself.

Warm2 I prefer personally. Stay with it for a while and when you go back to Warm1 the image seems washed out and less colorful in general.

A.Romero

I'm very late to the party but I just a KS9500. It was a very good price here in Mexico considering 2017 models are not that good in this price range and OLED is just too expensive for me.

I haven't had the chance to test it thoroughly but so far I'm happy with the performance. It does have backlight issues but from my perspective it's something that consumers have to deal with at this price range.

I have my pc connected with a long hdmi cable so 4k performance is very crappy (sound stutters) and at the beginning I also had issues with 1080P and HDR but suddenly it started working just fine. I will relocate the PC closer to the TV but so far I liked how Nex Machina looked with HDR turned on.

Top Bottom