• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT10| Ultimate Infuriation

wiibomb

Something I'm trying to remember, Minions hit the board after their battlecry, right? Was thinking about trying some dumb stuff with Moat Lurker but I just had the thought of hitting an Obsidian Statue, only to have it's Deathrattle kill it, thus re-summoning the Statue.

if I remember correctly, yes, battlecries resolve before the minion is "officially put" on the board

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Something I'm trying to remember, Minions hit the board after their battlecry, right? Was thinking about trying some dumb stuff with Moat Lurker but I just had the thought of hitting an Obsidian Statue, only to have it's Deathrattle kill it, thus re-summoning the Statue.

if I remember correctly, yes, battlecries resolve before the minion is "officially put" on the board

NO. Definitely not. Battlecries occur AFTER minion hits the board.

Minion hits board
"Whenever" summon/play phase
Battlecry phase
"After" summon/play phase

I guess I got confused because I was thinking of something where a guy played Dr. Boom, which triggered Sacred Trial, which ended up killing Dr. Boom.

ZealousD

Sacred Trial, like most other secrets, trigger in the "after phase", which means they trigger after battlecries.

So, Sacred Trial checks its conditions after Dr. Boom and his boom bots are summoned. It sees four minions. It also only kills minions played from hand so it sees four minions, saw that you just played Dr. Boom from your hand, and so he becomes the target to be killed.

Miletius

What's the list for highlander priest on wild? Might try wild for next season.

Take whatever list you are playing in standard:

Swap out GHP for Reno
Swap out the Potion/Horror Combo for Lightbomb and Excavated Evil (or maybe Nova, depending if you run both)
Find a spot for Recruiter.

I also run Azure Drake instead of Gnomish Inventor, and I don't run novice engineer.

This works for pretty much any list you run, whether it be the standard or the Hemet + Benedictus list.

I feel like in Wild you have more sustain because you can Reno and you also have ample choices for board clears, so it's not as urgent to get to your combo pieces as fast.

You also have an additional win condition with either recruiter or spawn of shadows. Both can be devastating with the right board and package. I do still run the Velen package, because it's even more potent in wild with more access to cheap cards.

Granted, I did this all at the start of the month, I haven't touched Wild since probably about the 10th. Made it to ez rank 5 though.

Cockmagic

Neo Member
suHVfzm.jpg

Smooth legend with mill/demon warlock and midrange mage, which is actually pretty solid against both aggro and control.

Nothing like playing three Uther of the Ebon Blades as Priest.

I bet steal Priest would be fun* as hell right now if the meta was actually control dominated.

*Fun for the Priest anyway.

Sande

Aren't boom bots technically summoned before Dr. Boom? I remember being annoyed by the disparity between the order of animations and what actually happens.

pixelish

Aren't boom bots technically summoned before Dr. Boom? I remember being annoyed by the disparity between the order of animations and what actually happens.

the boots should come after dr boom as they are summoned from dr's battlecry.

ZealousD

No. Dr. Boom is summoned first. However, the "after summon" phase of the boom bots occurs first.

Dr. Boom hits board.
Battlecry Phase
__Boom Bots hit board
__Boom Bots "whenever" summon phase
__Boom Bots "after" summon phase
"After" summon/play phase for Dr. Boom

So, it's a little confusing, but all of the summon triggers for the Boom Bots resolve before all of the summon triggers for Dr. Boom resolves, even though Dr. Boom hits the board first.

This means that whenever you see the card text "after you summon", those triggers will hit the Boom Bots first (e.g Sword of Justice). The card text "whenever you summon" will trigger from Dr. Boom first. Effects that care about the order in which minions are summoned (Vanish, Duplicate after a board clear, etc) will trigger on Dr. Boom first.

Dre

Sorry if anyone here is ilovenikita, without Yogg I shouldn't have won this game.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/WiQvZqdrKqrqLzWKGkJh3B

Sadly the game didn't last this long, but I could've played 2 Yoggs, 4 Rags, 2 Despicable Dreadlords, 3 Fireballs and 3 Flamestrikes if I had had the time and the mana.

Member when competitive Hearthstone was full of Yogg decks and winners were decided by a roll of dice?
Good times.

Sande

No. Dr. Boom is summoned first. However, the "after summon" phase of the boom bots occurs first.

Dr. Boom hits board.
Battlecry Phase
__Boom Bots hit board
__Boom Bots "whenever" summon phase
__Boom Bots "after" summon phase
"After" summon/play phase for Dr. Boom

So, it's a little confusing, but all of the summon triggers for the Boom Bots resolve before all of the summon triggers for Dr. Boom resolves, even though Dr. Boom hits the board first.

This means that whenever you see the card text "after you summon", those triggers will hit the Boom Bots first (e.g Sword of Justice). The card text "whenever you summon" will trigger from Dr. Boom first. Effects that care about the order in which minions are summoned (Vanish, Duplicate after a board clear, etc) will trigger on Dr. Boom first.
Interesting. No wonder there's still confusion about battlecries when the effects are staggered like this.

I'm running this nasty buff deck in arena

and my god it's nasty

I've been able to come back with it, I've been able to have nasty tempo, its such a good deck. And some of the picks have been wildly hilarious. I had a priest who couldnt' heal himself because he couldn't deal with my Light warden.

Just look at this! Complete insanity! I feel like a god controlling the board.

wiibomb

Is evolve shaman good for a late push to rank 5? Been playing a lot less this season, don't really know the new meta.

rogue or hunter looks more suited for that.

and hunter mainly because they are usually quick matches, allowing to to either lose quickly or win quickly.

Miletius

I'm at Rank 3 (1 star) right now. It's the closest I've been to legend in a long time. I should probably push for it this month eh? This will probably be the last time I can do it for a while.

ZealousD

rogue or hunter looks more suited for that.

and hunter mainly because they are usually quick matches, allowing to to either lose quickly or win quickly.

Quick matches matter less at Rank 5 because you don't have streaks anymore. You need winrate.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think with cards like Doomsayer, Acolyte of Pain, and other similar cards that are like the best options for stuff like early board clears, drawing lots of cards, etc should probably be in the basic set. In a world where the Classic set lives forever, making some of those cards basic would be VERY beneficial for new players while not really harming any long time players.

Especially since so many of those are really key. Learning to abuse stuff like Acolyte and when to drop Doomsayer are important things in playing well. Also they are fun cards, IMO.

Grief.exe

I think with cards like Doomsayer, Acolyte of Pain, and other similar cards that are like the best options for stuff like early board clears, drawing lots of cards, etc should probably be in the basic set. In a world where the Classic set lives forever, making some of those cards basic would be VERY beneficial for new players while not really harming any long time players.

Especially since so many of those are really key. Learning to abuse stuff like Acolyte and when to drop Doomsayer are important things in playing well. Also they are fun cards, IMO.

Just make the Classic set basic at this point, new players have a hard enough time getting into the game as it is. Tavern Brawl gives random packs from the standard rotation.

This will likely generate more revenue over time as retaining more players is more valuable than people buying those packs.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just make the Classic set basic at this point, new players have a hard enough time getting into the game as it is. Tavern Brawl gives random packs from the standard rotation.

This will likely generate more revenue over time as retaining more players is more valuable than people buying those packs.

I would support that move also. No chance they ever do that though sadly.

lol people have spent thousands of dollars on Classic, and you think they'd be ok with it being given away for FREE?

and give everyonr with a classic collection a billion dust? Even if it were a good move they'd canabalize the release of their next set.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I could see it working. If the goal is simply new player onboarding or retention, then Hearthstone is SORELY lacking. Gwent is fabulously generous to new players and after several months you basically have all the dust you could want. Other games have much quicker content release schedules and meta changing patches.

Blizzard has been relatively happy to sit on their laurels and enjoy their dominant market position. Major updates like shaking up standard or the entire game would be a welcome change imo.

I could see it working. If the goal is simply new player onboarding or retention, then Hearthstone is SORELY lacking. Gwent is fabulously generous to new players and after several months you basically have all the dust you could want. Other games have much quicker content release schedules and meta changing patches.

Blizzard has been relatively happy to sit on their laurels and enjoy their dominant market position. Major updates like shaking up standard or the entire game would be a welcome change imo.
If you have all the dust you could ever want in a few months, how is Gwent going to make money?

The only card games alive at all are Hearthstone, Shadowverse, Gwent, TES Legends, and Eternal, I think. Two of those are still too early to judge, but there's a massive graveyard of card games that went belly-up over time.

If they do a Hearthstone update, at this point it would need to be a big update that adds a fundamentally new feature or two. But I think the game is a ton of fun right now.

Grief.exe

lol people have spent thousands of dollars on Classic, and you think they'd be ok with it being given away for FREE?

Who is they in this case?

Blizzard? That would be an extremely short sighted reaction for reasons I go into in the original post.

Players? Give them enough to placate the majority of the user base. From a logical stand point, their 'investment' in those cards decreases every year, it would make sense for Blizzard to do this to improve and grow the community.

and give everyonr with a classic collection a billion dust? Even if it were a good move they'd canabalize the release of their next set.

Give away something fair, thousand dust, golden legendaries, packs, something. Exact numbers based off their internal metrics.

Obviously they aren't going to convert the set into dust.

If they were to move cards to be free they could simply give full dust to people who own it already.

But I don't think they will. In fact, I think moving cards into the basic set, even from classic, is not in line with the point of basic which is introductory and very simple cards. You don't even have combo cards in the basic set IIRC, I don't think they're going to move a more complicated epic like doomsayer to basic.

I think they're more likely to move cards like doomsayer to hall of fame than move them to basic.

IceMarker

In some bizarre universe, people only play Tier 2 decks or below and people who play want to play a Tier 1 deck pay 100 gold a game to do so. Goodbye Raza Priest, goodbye Jade Druid, goodbye Pirate/Keleseth Tempo.

Tunoku

Finally got to break through Rank 10 for the first time with my pirate-less Hunter deck. Managed to win through Spreading Plague for 3 followed by Spreading Plague for 6 on my way there. 3 Highmanes were enough value in the end. I played like 80 matches between rank 15 and 10 and barely saw any rogues there. Their presence is much more prevalent in the higher ranks, right? I feel like the matchup is pretty close and maybe even favorable depending on how things go. It's Prince David against Golakka. Or something like that.

EDIT: @BreezyLimbo: That is one hell of a Druid deck. Never been blessed with more than one Bonemare in my runs.

Oh yeah, LOL, good point.

EDIT: It really blows my mind people just accept all this shit. I have a sub-50% winrate against Priest, both BIG and Raza in most match-ups. Guess I should be a righteous asshole and netdeck tempo, Jade, or become a fucking Priest myself.

I don't even understand what you're angry about...that some decks are better than others, or something?

IceMarker

I don't even understand what you're angry about...that some decks are better than others, or something?

I'm just sick of playing against the same shit. Honestly been on the edge of quitting for a while, but at least Wild is fun.

EDIT: Wait a second... I'm having decent luck with a Tempo Warrior list... I have to resort to Bonemare/Scalebane shenanigans tho.

Top Bottom