• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakthrough in Skyrim memory usage allows larger scale battles/environments.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
A reply on the Reddit thread says that it has totally fixed the crashes for Open Cities.

Now that we have that, it would be amazing if it were possible to open up shops and player homes in the same manner.

Well that is fantastic news.

Are there any mods/patches I need before using this mod (besides SKSE)? I heard that there were other memory patches that increased the game's usage closer to 4gb.

Juice

Well this is good news. I wish managing my Skyrim mods weren't a pain in the ass.

I was so excited for Steam Workshop, but if most mods require SKSE and Steam won't support it then there's really no point. Really dislike the nexus manager too.

Eusis

4 GB? Geez, we could get a preview of next gen Bethesda if they're even remotely on the ball, especially once you start throwing in textures mods and stuff that's probably better reflect the IQ they're going to want to go for.

klee123

About damn time.

I was using the safety loads mod which was an absolute god send for me since I pretty much modded Skyrim like crazy (pretty much the only reason why I come back to Bethesda's games)

Maybe finally, the 32GB ram that my rig has can finally be put into good use.

About damn time.

I was using the safety loads mod which was an absolute god send for me since I pretty much modded Skyrim like crazy (pretty much the only reason why I come back to Bethesda's games)

Maybe finally, the 32GB ram that my rig has can finally be put into good use.

The game is still limited to using only 4gb of ram, just now it can use larger chunks at a time (before this it was limited to 256mb chunks).

Hyyyyyyyyypothetically--

If there does end up being a PS4/XB version of Skyrim, could/would Bethesda utilize something similar to this for stability and (in a perfect world) tweaks like improved NPC numbers and such?

I plan on taking advantage of this on PC, but the idea of playing next gen Skyrim on my Vita has me salivating.

Eusis

Dont the majority of games run on 32-bit?
Really not much need for 64-bit when most games don't need that RAM. Next gen will change that however, and hopefully for real reasons and not just convoluted anti cheating like CoD Ghosts did.

UnrealEck

I'm guessing this might help the functionality of that mod that allows cities to load alongside the Skyrim 'outside' world area.

antitrop

What the Skyrim modding scene has been able to accomplish since the launch of the game is nothing short of legendary.

ezekial45

Banned
What the Skyrim modding scene has been able to accomplish is nothing short of legendary.

For real. I wonder the folks at Bethesda were surprised by how much modders managed to improve their game.

The SkyUI mod was so obvious. I'm wondering why they didn't think of that.

belmonkey

So does this have the potential to allow higher uGrids and get rid of the obvious line of things rendering ahead of you?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
For real. I wonder the folks at Bethesda were surprised by how much modders managed to improve their game.

Because they designed their UI for controllers.

A great war of people slapping each other with pool noodles

edit: Or is there also a mod that makes the combat not awful?

I think the combat is actually pretty good with Duel v. 7 (the hardcore version of Duel) and even SkyRe's combat. Neither fixes the animations, but I find them both fun and I certainly did not feel that way about the vanilla game.

belmonkey

Tried checking another forum and found someone who's tested uGrids:

Before the fix:

uGridsToLoad 5, 99% stable
uGridsToLoad 7, freeze/ctd usually within 30 min
uGridsToLoad 9, 5 minutes if I was lucky
uGridsToLoad 11, infinite loading or instant freeze after
uGridsToLoad 13, didn't even bother trying

After fix:
Just to see if it works, went straight to uGridsToLoad 11...

uGridsToLoad 11, it worked, no problems
uGridsToLoad 13, it worked, however even with a I5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz, I was getting like ~20 fps and was getting too much stutter because of my HDD is not an SSD :sad:
uGridsToLoad 15, sub 20 fps, broken quests, massive loading screens, even more stuttering.. HDD can't keep up
uGridsToLoad 17, ~10fps, broken quests, even longer loading screens, reached the 3.1Gb RAM usage limit (CTD), even with ENBoost features.
uGridsToLoad 19, 3.1Gb RAM usage on loading screen (CTD), even with ENBoost features.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.p...ng-ils-ugrids-ctd-freezes-for-real-by-sheson/

It seems impressive to go from stable uGrids = 5 to 11.

A generic comparison between 5 to 11 is quite a difference:

Skyrim-Ugrids-Comparison.gif

For those worried that upping the ugrids ruins your savegames, there's a fix out there that allows you to dial back to a lower amount of ugrids and not having to ditch your gamesaves. I tried it during my last playthrough when ugrids 7 kept crashing the game, and it worked perfectly.

1. Run Skyrim in windowed mode. (Change in launcher or Skyrimprefs.ini)

2. Load your save and then with the game running get to your desktop either by alt-tab or ctrl-alt-delete and find your Skyrim.ini.

3. Make sure the ini isn't read-only and change the ugrids to whatever odd number lower value you want (default 5)

4. Save the ini and go back to the game

5. Open the console by typing "~" (tilde), the key left of the 1 key. Then type "refreshini" (without quotes). Hit enter and type ~

to exit the console.

5. Save your game, exit, and restart with that save. That's it!
(thanks to tVEC at the Nexus forums)

Vintage

Tried checking another forum and found someone who's tested uGrids:

It seems impressive to go from stable uGrids = 5 to 11.

A generic comparison between 5 to 11 is quite a difference:

Skyrim-Ugrids-Comparison.gif

So cool. I wonder what's the performance difference between 5 and 11?

I doubt it, honestly. I'm not entirely sure about Morrowind (I think it had a big mod following, too), but Oblivion had a similarly massive outpouring of modder support.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bethesda is very well aware of some of the more PC-centric deficiencies of the game, but simply ships it anyway because they know the modder community will fix it up, and do a better job than they could in the first place.

It doesn't really excuse them being outclassed (IMO) entirely by mods like SkyRe in terms of their game systems, but as for things like SkyUI, they probably knew but just thought the default UI was good enough for the baseline.

JoeBoy101

So cool. I wonder what's the performance difference between 5 and 11?

Significant. The game gets more and more unstable as you up the ugrids, but here's hoping this breakthrough really helps with my computer's stability. I typically run at 7, but would love to up it to 9. Based on the analysis, getting 11 would be incredible.

Significant. The game gets more and more unstable as you up the ugrids, but here's hoping this breakthrough really helps with my computer's stability. I typically run at 7, but would love to up it to 9. Based on the analysis, getting 11 would be incredible.

Yeah, this new memory fix wouldn't change performance, right? It would simply make you less likely to crash while using higer uGrid settings?

JoeBoy101

Yeah, this new memory fix wouldn't change performance, right? It would simply make you less likely to crash while using higer uGrid settings?

I'm betting though it will annihilate a ton of the stuttering I keep getting. I can run FPS-wise very decently with 9 and probably will be able to with 11, but the game starts to stutter quite a bit.

belmonkey

In the comparison from 5 to 11 though, there might still be the case of trying to get grass to render farther as well so distant landscape is even less empty.

I'm betting though it will annihilate a ton of the stuttering I keep getting. I can run FPS-wise very decently with 9 and probably will be able to with 11, but the game starts to stutter quite a bit.
Yeah, it should definitely smooth out some of the more ambitious mods. I don't know why I said it probably wouldn't increase performance, general FPS was the term I was looking for. I guess a more accurate way to put it is: this new fix won't suddenly make Skyrim run flawlessly on a potato, but it will help smooth the game out of it you're pushing it with mods and other tweaks.

KKRT00

"uGridsToLoad 7, freeze/ctd usually within 30 min"

Bullshit, I've played almost 200h on uGrid 7, its safe. uGrid 9 was still quite safe, but performance drop was too big for me.

"uGridsToLoad 7, freeze/ctd usually within 30 min"

Bullshit, I've played almost 200h on uGrid 7, its safe. uGrid 9 was still quite safe, but performance drop was too big for me.

It depends on the hardware you're running. uGrids at 7 used to make my game unstable as shit back in July, before most of the patches.

I made a video now while changing ugrids on the fly on dragonback. I even got 9 running safely, but yeah, performance wasn't too great anymore.

KKRT00

It depends on the hardware you're running. uGrids at 7 used to make my game unstable as shit back in July, before most of the patches.

I made a video now while changing ugrids on the fly on dragonback. I even got 9 running safely, but yeah, performance wasn't too great anymore.

I played with uGrid 7 since release :)

I played with uGrid 7 since release :)

As I said, probably depends on the hardware. Not to mention the mods you're using. When rolling with 7, the game would undoubtedly crash at least once every session. Now it never crashes. I'm going to see if 7 is any more stable for me now.

Gosh, it's amazing how just seeing those screenshots reminds me how much I love this game. I need to be unemployed. And to not have a social life.

I might go to Grad School for ESVI. :>

Aaron

I tried this and immediately noticed better draw distance with even better framerates. It's like magic.

belmonkey

I just noticed that a few days before Sheson came out with the fix, he was posting some uGrid 17 shots around Skyrim Nexus. Here's a few:

3155782-1389820902.jpg

3155782-1389729412.jpg

Would be amazing if playable. Apparently 19 is as high as he can go.

Sai

I tried this and immediately noticed better draw distance with even better framerates. It's like magic.
:O

I really want to give this a shot. Not sure if it would work out too well on my Surface Pro 2 though. Maybe I should wait until I get my desktop fixed.

Aaron

:O

I really want to give this a shot. Not sure if it would work out too well on my Surface Pro 2 though. Maybe I should wait until I get my desktop fixed.
Probably still need a dedicated graphics card, but the difference is dramatic. My framerate has nearly doubled, even with ENB and tons of mods installed. I can't even imagine what this game would be like if Bethesda released a 64bit exe and it could access more memory. Probably mindblowing.

Gonna try this when I get home, hopefully it'll make the framerate more consistent when running ENB. Tends to vary between 45 and 60 in more demanding scenes atm.

Top Bottom