• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakthrough in Skyrim memory usage allows larger scale battles/environments.

I will agree that the archery doesn't feel quite as good as in Skyrim, though the mechanics are pretty similar..
On the other hand, War of the Roses' archery puts both games to shame, and is even better than Mount and Blade's archery - skillful and extremely satisfying. I've never had a high opinion of vanilla Skyrim's combat, it's mediocre as hell (both melee combat and archery lack depth and spells don't really make things all that more interesting, stealth is far more engaging than the actual combat), Mount and Blade/War of the Roses actually requires skill with their overall combat. WotR mainly lacks the engaging game modes and dismemberment compared to Chivalry despite having overall better combat mechanics, but Fatshark might fix that with War of the Vikings.

Anyhow, back on topic, I think I'll overhaul my Skyrim mods list, now that I have a new rig.

On the other hand, War of the Roses' archery puts both games to shame, and is even better than Mount and Blade's archery - skillful and extremely satisfying. I've never had a high opinion of vanilla Skyrim's combat, it's mediocre as hell (both melee combat and archery lack depth and spells don't really make things all that more interesting, stealth is far more engaging than the actual combat), Mount and Blade/War of the Roses actually requires skill with their overall combat. WotR mainly lacks the engaging game modes and dismemberment compared to Chivalry despite having overall better combat mechanics, but Fatshark might fix that with War of the Vikings.

Anyhow, back on topic, I think I'll overhaul my Skyrim mods list, now that I have a new rig.
I have been playing a wood elf stealth archer for the first time recently and it is so much more fun than being a spellsword or battlemage.

Sai

Probably still need a dedicated graphics card, but the difference is dramatic. My framerate has nearly doubled, even with ENB and tons of mods installed. I can't even imagine what this game would be like if Bethesda released a 64bit exe and it could access more memory. Probably mindblowing.
Ended up trying it out after browsing Skyrim Nexus a couple of days ago, and haven't had a single crash since.

I'm not going to try getting away with anything too heavy, but using this has definitely helped. Can't wait to start testing out graphics mods with this on a dedicated video card.

I'm sure I did it right but it didn't seem to work. I didn't get that line in the .log file. Seemed to make no difference. I wonder if using Windows 7 is the problem? I've been using skse for ages so no idea why it doesn't work.

balohna

If I'm just running vanilla Skyrim but want to up my draw distance without taking a frame rate hit, would this help me?

The game is playable as it is and looks pretty good on my PC, but it bugs me a little that I can see pop-in. I've sort of accepted that I'll have to deal with it until I upgrade, but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.

Are we playing the same game? Blocking, jumping, feinting, holding up your shield, dodging, missed swings - all consume stamina. And when you're out of stamina, you're put into a dazed state where you're completely defenseless, often leading to a swift death. I wouldn't say the two-handers in general are OP; rather, one-handed weapons like the broadsword are more "abuseable" because of their very quick thrusts, which allow their users to flinch opponents with ease. I will agree that the archery doesn't feel quite as good as in Skyrim, though the mechanics are pretty similar.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, don't want to veer too off-topic.

It sounds like the classic if somewhat stereotypical blaming one's own lack of skill with the game's mechanics on the game mechanics.

KKRT00

It sounds like the classic if somewhat stereotypical blaming one's own lack of skill with the game's mechanics on the game mechanics.

Yeah, no.
Show me video where player with two handed weapon is in disadvantage, because of stamina. When i played it, everyone was spamming attacks as much as they could, without any movement or damage penalty.

If I'm just running vanilla Skyrim but want to up my draw distance without taking a frame rate hit, would this help me?

The game is playable as it is and looks pretty good on my PC, but it bugs me a little that I can see pop-in. I've sort of accepted that I'll have to deal with it until I upgrade, but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.

You'd have to deal with pop-in regardless of your hardware. Better hardware and these 'fixes' can help sorta alleviate the issue, but they can't do magic: Skyrim is a 2011 game mainly built for (at the time) 6-year-old hardware. There's only so much modders can do.

I had to get rid of the fix, I think my graphics card couldn't handle it. The game would often just randomly crash, when before it'd been utterly stable. I didn't even change any settings, but when I removed the line and the modified DLL, my game suddenly became crash-free.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
You'd have to deal with pop-in regardless of your hardware. Better hardware and these 'fixes' can help sorta alleviate the issue, but they can't do magic: Skyrim is a 2011 game mainly built for (at the time) 6-year-old hardware. There's only so much modders can do.

I had to get rid of the fix, I think my graphics card couldn't handle it. The game would often just randomly crash, when before it'd been utterly stable. I didn't even change any settings, but when I removed the line and the modified DLL, my game suddenly became crash-free.
This doesn't change graphics memory. Were you using ENBoost as well?

This doesn't change graphics memory. Were you using ENBoost as well?

It allows more memory to be used, though, right?

Yeah, also using ENBoost.

Did some stress-testing today and, apart from hectic situations (like when being a Vampire Lord and having to escape from a town while being chased by 20 NPC's) or situations where the game just has to render a lot of land (like when travelling across Skyrim on dragonback) I didn't have any issues. The game froze on me a couple of times during the aforementioned sequences, but that's it.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It allows more memory to be used, though, right?

Yeah, also using ENBoost.

Did some stress-testing today and, apart from hectic situations (like when being a Vampire Lord and having to escape from a town while being chased by 20 NPC's) or situations where the game just has to render a lot of land (like when travelling across Skyrim on dragonback) I didn't have any issues. The game froze on me a couple of times during the aforementioned sequences, but that's it.
Yeah, but it's system RAM, not main memory, and it only allocates 256MB more than normal (if you're using the standard fix). Seems odd that it would cause any crashes or instability. Maybe you'll have better luck when/if it's integrated into SKSE.

Yeah, but it's system RAM, not main memory, and it only allocates 256MB more than normal (if you're using the standard fix). Seems odd that it would cause any crashes or instability. Maybe you'll have better luck when/if it's integrated into SKSE.

Okay, in that case I'm even more confused, since I have 16 gigs to play with.

All I know is that my Skyrim went from perfectly stable with a lot of mods to increasingly unstable with a lot of mods after I installed this. But Skyrim's a bit like a house made of playing cards, one little fault can send the whole thing tumbling down.

Okay, in that case I'm even more confused, since I have 16 gigs to play with.

All I know is that my Skyrim went from perfectly stable with a lot of mods to increasingly unstable with a lot of mods after I installed this. But Skyrim's a bit like a house made of playing cards, one little fault can send the whole thing tumbling down.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I went from crashing once every 25 mins. or so with 180+mods(mostly graphical and a few overhauls) to not crashing in hours. Why would you install it if it was already stable?

Top Bottom