• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakthrough in Skyrim memory usage allows larger scale battles/environments.

Hm, I went to try this out, but I don't have a \SKSE\ folder in my Skyrim\Data\ folder, and thus, there's no SKSE.ini file for me to edit. (Yes, I do have SKSE installed.)

Am I missing something here?

Modders yet again doing what the original developer seems incapable of. Colour me shocked. Let's just hope they finally retire Gamebryo for the next game and actually program something that doesn't succumb under the weight of its own glitches so much that the modding scene has to clean up Bethesda's act literally each and every game they release.

This is great. Stable ugrids at 13, tried it without running SKSE and it crashes within minutes. Performance seems no worse than running at 9 which I usually do.

KKRT00

Not many performance-intensive mods then, I take it? Vanilla Skyrim is completely different beast from heavily modded Skyrim.

There werent many performance heavy mods at launch, but i used tons of mods through those years, but still played in 45fps+. I cant play Skyrim i lower framerates.

The only times Skyrim crashed for me, was when i spawned too many NPCs :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3g8TQGKlzE

I could spawn 10 more and game still wouldnt crash :)

Raven77

Can anyone post simple easy to follow instructions on how to enable this / install this? I have SKSE but had no SKSE folder so I created one in the Data folder and dumped this .DLL into it. What else am I supposed to do?

Unai

Can anyone post simple easy to follow instructions on how to enable this / install this? I have SKSE but had no SKSE folder so I created one in the Data folder and dumped this .DLL into it. What else am I supposed to do?

The DLL is supposed to be in the main folder. In the folder you put it it is just the .ini file.

You already made a mistake. You made the right folder, though. In there, make a new notepad text file, add the lines

[NotPlacebo].
GiveFirstBornToSheson=1

to it, and name the file skse.ini.

Then, go back to your main Skyrim folder, take a backup of the original skse_steam_loader.dll (by, for instance, renaming it to skse_steam_loader.dll.bak), and then paste the .dll file you downloaded there.

Raven77

Ahh okay, thanks.

Also, I have this strange visual interference I'm seeing when playing, like bands of lighter shades moving horizontally up and down my screen.

Only happening in Skyrim. Anyone else have this or know of the cause / fix?

Ahh okay, thanks.

Also, I have this strange visual interference I'm seeing when playing, like bands of lighter shades moving horizontally up and down my screen.

Only happening in Skyrim. Anyone else have this or know of the cause / fix?

Head to the OT or the modding thread, we'll help you out. Or try.

Post a few screens, preferably.

Ploid 3.0

We all know what will happen in the end. 200 followers.

JK Very excited for more Skyrim mod breakthroughs. I love modding the game, and I want to update my PC for this game (enb and faster performance).

KKRT00

You're asking something way too easy, so I'll pick a similar game: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

How is this easy? Its basically the only game that can partially be considered. Partially, because Skyrim has more just melee combat, but also range combat, buffing and magic and Dark Messiah does not have fight that involve more than 5-6 units.

Name one RPG with combat that could handle large scales battles better than Skyrim.
Mount and Blade (seeing battles of 200+ units, both on-foot and cavalry, is a thing of beauty). And by extension, War of the Roses and Chivalry.

I'm surprised that nobody's made a fantasy-themed version of MaB, like the King Arthur Role-Playing War-Game was to Total War.

Thorgal

I cannot get this to work .

i know i did it right but my game keeps crashing if i load my savefile.

Edit: fixed it .

A-V-B

I just noticed that a few days before Sheson came out with the fix, he was posting some uGrid 17 shots around Skyrim Nexus. Here's a few:

3155782-1389820902.jpg

3155782-1389729412.jpg

Would be amazing if playable. Apparently 19 is as high as he can go.

Sort of interesting how small it makes scenery look, in a way. You can see exactly how everything scales at a minute level of detail, almost like looking at toy scenery. If someone only applied a tilt shift...

KKRT00

Mount and Blade (seeing battles of 200+ units, both on-foot and cavalry, is a thing of beauty). And by extension, War of the Roses and Chivalry.

I'm surprised that nobody's made a fantasy-themed version of MaB, like the King Arthur Role-Playing War-Game was to Total War.

Chivalry combat would be terrible. I have not played War of the Roses.
Mount and Blade do not have magic or skills.

Sure, You can name games, but not only they are not RPGs, they do not even have supernatural component.

MapleMerchant

Neo Member
30179539.jpg

I've played nearly a thousand hours of Skyrim and with nearly a 100 mods currently running including huge texture overhauls nothing can describe how I feel reading all this.

Except see above ^^^

belmonkey

Perhaps someone would make a mod to add grass to that extra space, if that would be doable. Wonder if it would be playable though? :/

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Perhaps someone would make a mod to add grass to that extra space, if that would be doable. Wonder if it would be playable though? :/

This looks like it may be geared toward what you are talking about.

Not sure how that will work with this new memory mod, but I would imagine it would increase performance significantly.

belmonkey

This looks like it may be geared toward what you are talking about.

Not sure how that will work with this new memory mod, but I would imagine it would increase performance significantly.

I was more specifically talking about how grass renders out to a certain distance, then ground is just bare after that, even with higher uGrids. I think there's an ini tweak to render grass farther, but I read that it still had a limited distance (unless it happened to be the case that it only rendered has far out as uGrids allowed).

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Chivalry combat would be terrible. I have not played War of the Roses.

Mount and Blade do not have magic or skills.

Sure, You can name games, but not only they are not RPGs, they do not even have supernatural component.

Chivalry's combat would be worse than Skyrim's?

WotR is mostly similar to Mount&Blade, which has a few mods that adds magic abilities for the player and NPCs. And I would consider M&B to be an RPG - it's of a different sort compared to TES, to be sure, but it has the basic elements.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Have You fought two people in Chivarly? Its clusterfuck turned up to eleven.

Hardly. A 2v1 is very manageable, provided you can manage your stamina well. I don't see why a modified form of Chivalry's combat (or M&B's, for that matter) wouldn't work for a TES game. Certainly it'd be far more enjoyable than the current combat system in Skyrim, at least for me.

Hardly. A 2v1 is very manageable, provided you can manage your stamina well. I don't see why a modified form of Chivalry's combat (or M&B's, for that matter) wouldn't work for a TES game. Certainly it'd be far more enjoyable than the current combat system in Skyrim, at least for me.

My experience has been I'm having a good duel and someone shanks me from behind.

fucking thank you. It might finally be time to get back into skyrim.

Last time going into the creation menu to change my characters looks would crash the game if I wasn't indoors thanks to all the mods I had.

This won't fix that, it might help, but that problem has already been fixed with Disablefacegen cache, it comes with Racemenu as a plugin. You can also use Precache Killer, both get rid of the problem entirely. I have a little over a thousand hairs installed with no issues.

Yes. uGrids can be set higher with this mod as far as I know.
But Skyrim is still a CPU limited game, so your FPS will still suffer even if you have a sufficient amount of RAM and GPU power.

Care to share why you think Skyrim is a CPU limited game? If I use Performance Monitor while playing I can clearly see my GPU is at 99% utilization at all times. My CPU? 18-28% That's on an i7-3770k @ 4.6ghz. On an i7 920 @ 4ghz it's gone as high as 38%. I don't see that as being CPU intensive.

KKRT00

There is not stamina management in Chivarly, like non. Its total spam fest, where two handed weapons are overpowered, because of lack of stamina drawback.

Also shooting range weapons is terrible for game like Skyrim.

For some reason, the game CTDs instantly when trying to load a save after raising the UGrid count, but starting a new game causes no such issues. Tried that thing with changing the ini file while the game's running, then using the "refreshini" console command, but that just made the game CTD when entered.

Thorgal

For some reason, the game CTDs instantly when trying to load a save after raising the UGrid count, but starting a new game causes no such issues. Tried that thing with changing the ini file while the game's running, then using the "refreshini" console command, but that just made the game CTD when entered.

this may sound weird but try this :

Start a new game and once you can bring up the menu . load your old save file .

I had the same issue where my game would crash when loading my old save file.

The above method allowed me to use that savefile again .

DaciaJC

Gold Member
There is not stamina management in Chivarly, like non. Its total spam fest, where two handed weapons are overpowered, because of lack of stamina drawback.

Also shooting range weapons is terrible for game like Skyrim.

Are we playing the same game? Blocking, jumping, feinting, holding up your shield, dodging, missed swings - all consume stamina. And when you're out of stamina, you're put into a dazed state where you're completely defenseless, often leading to a swift death. I wouldn't say the two-handers in general are OP; rather, one-handed weapons like the broadsword are more "abuseable" because of their very quick thrusts, which allow their users to flinch opponents with ease. I will agree that the archery doesn't feel quite as good as in Skyrim, though the mechanics are pretty similar.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, don't want to veer too off-topic.

this may sound weird but try this :

Start a new game and once you can bring up the menu . load your old save file .

I had the same issue where my game would crash when loading my old save file.

The above method allowed me to use that savefile again .

Well that worked. Thanks!

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm totally confused by the tech talk in this thread, is the givefirstborn thing serious? And is the grid talk a direct result of the memory usage fix from the OP? I feel like there's two different things being discussed or something, I'm completely lost haha.

I play Skyrim on PC, modded it a bit, what should I do?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm totally confused by the tech talk in this thread, is the givefirstborn thing serious? And is the grid talk a direct result of the memory usage fix from the OP? I feel like there's two different things being discussed or something, I'm completely lost haha.

I play Skyrim on PC, modded it a bit, what should I do?
The givefirstborn is just the name the modder gave to the command to run the fix. The grid talk is because the memory fix allows for greater performance/stability when playing with higher ugrids. As for what you should do, here are the basic fixes that (imo) everyone playing on PC should be using:

- Enboost - Use this even if you're not using ENB for graphics. If you are using ENB for graphics, make sure you're using the more recent DLLs which contain the memory fixes and that your settings in enblocal.ini are configured correctly.

- Stable uGrids - requires SKSE

- Add the following line to your SKSE.ini (located in Skyrim/Data/SKSE, create one with notepad if it's not there to begin with) under [GENERAL]. This will help with saves where you have been upgrading or uninstalling mods.
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

- The fix that this thread is about. This version allows you to configure the size of the memory blocks, stick with the default unless you know what you're doing.

- Safety Load is another SKSE plugin, it may be redundant with the above fix.

SJRB

Gold Member
The givefirstborn is just the name the modder gave to the command to run the fix. The grid talk is because the memory fix allows for greater performance/stability when playing with higher ugrids. As for what you should do, here are the basic fixes that (imo) everyone playing on PC should be using:

- Enboost - Use this even if you're not using ENB for graphics. If you are using ENB for graphics, make sure you're using the more recent DLLs which contain the memory fixes and that your settings in enblocal.ini are configured correctly.

- Stable uGrids - requires SKSE

- Add the following line to your SKSE.ini (located in Skyrim/Data/SKSE, create one with notepad if it's not there to begin with) under [GENERAL]. This will help with saves where you have been upgrading or uninstalling mods.

- The fix that this thread is about. This version allows you to configure the size of the memory blocks, stick with the default unless you know what you're doing.

- Safety Load is another SKSE plugin, it may be redundant with the above fix.

Thank you, kind sir. Will try this first thing tomorrow.

Granadier

Care to share why you think Skyrim is a CPU limited game? If I use Performance Monitor while playing I can clearly see my GPU is at 99% utilization at all times. My CPU? 18-28% That's on an i7-3770k @ 4.6ghz. On an i7 920 @ 4ghz it's gone as high as 38%. I don't see that as being CPU intensive.

Here you go.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
A test done on release, when the game wasn't LAA and the exe hadn't even had optimisations run on compile isn't too relevant now. The CPU bottleneck was drastically reduced after launch, first by a mod, then in an official patch. The statement about shadow rendering being done on the CPU is wrong as well.

Granadier

A test done on release, when the game wasn't LAA and the exe hadn't even had optimisations run on compile isn't too relevant now. The CPU bottleneck was drastically reduced after launch, first by a mod, then in an official patch. The statement about shadow rendering being done on the CPU is wrong as well.

Well then I'll eat my words.

Top Bottom