• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I didn't necessarily expect the trailer's theme to be his actual one. I think that's cool.

Oh, and the VA is called Edward Bosco. Fitting.

Lulubop

Redditor posted where he found the image. Its from this promotional page Capcom made for Ed. (Which is weird because its as if they're trying to make him attractive to casuals.)

http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/promotion/ed

Edit:

The lyrics in Ed's song sounds like its attack about him and Bison. Hmm, another character with lyrics in their theme? Will Ed be the main character of the new story/story mode Sneakers was hinting at?

Rashido!

I think I've come to the realization that I just don't like this game. Beta 1 was where I was highest on it and it's been a slow decline ever since. It's crazy to think I've had more fun with 4 and all its horseshit over this one.

The problem with the game itself in its current form is way too straightforward and basic. It's very vanilla, like it's fun to play and it got gorgeous animations but this street fighter just feels so simple at times. I get bored of it sometimes and it makes me sad cause I love SF..and lord knows the hours I spent with 3sO and USF4.

However, I still support the game cause I don't want to die it's in my top 3 franchises.. but it seems sfv will just be supported and I'm highly doubtful on a potential sequel if they follow this business model.

Bob White

Something Max mentions in this and a few others videos is his fear that capcom making the game have easy/accessible specials will threaten cross ups because simple DPs means simple auto correct anti airs.

And as someone who's watched Max for years and has seen how he is a really jump happy Ken/flashy character user, I feel he is totally using his platform to push "hype offense". Which, to me, is a shame. It sounds like Max is just "...yeah, I don't want my derp offense to be contested. I want to just be able to steam roll noobs with endless hard to punish pressure."

I mean, I have a hard on for anti airs/defense like Max has for offense. Doesn't make him a bad person. BUT, I honestly feel making AA easy as fucking shit is needed to help newer players. Because having a dependable AA lets you grow and start branching out as a player. And a smarter/stronger player base is good for the scene overall IMO.

cackhyena

The problem with the game itself in its current form is way too straightforward and basic. It's very vanilla, like it's fun to play and it got gorgeous animations but this street fighter just feels so simple at times. I get bored of it sometimes and it makes me sad cause I love SF..and lord knows the hours I spent with 3sO and USF4.

However, I still support the game cause I don't want to die it's in my top 3 franchises.. but it seems sfv will just be supported and I'm highly doubtful on a potential sequel if they follow this business model.
I'm still gonna play/support because SF has always been the only fighting game in town for me long term and I'm clearly nuts. Guess I gotta hope something changes...but yeah, basic is a good way to put it. I've felt something is missing since day one.

kofvscapcom

Neo Member
With the huge change between story mode Ed and playable character Ed, the remaining season 2 characters could be anyone. I'm fine with that, they seem to be getting better with the season 2 stuff.

About Ed, so far he doesn't seem to have an overhead, maybe an attempt to limit his pressure monsteriness

I won't go through the whole spiel again as I've already mentioned this before in the SF OTs, but I think the framework of Rival Schools makes it uniquely suited for a revival in the current market.

The school setting, the sim modes, and the emphasis on cultivating relationships with the characters, are all elements that are very popular in gaming, particularly in Japan.

it'd be like a persona fighting game

but good

The thing with SF5 is that it is very streamlined, and I would say to its benefit. It's the game where you don't have something hidden up your sleeve, all cards are laid bare, and that's a difficult thing to face for some. SF4 was basically comprised on the very basic level of input bugs like plinking and option selects like OS sweeping and crouch teching that lacked commitment.

So that's what I like about SF5 -- even if you're brand new to it, it's very what you see is what you get. You can watch people play and there's no obfuscation, they're just doing exactly what you see. Whereas in SF4 you might be watching a pro match and you'll see someone sweep a backdash and someone might think that it was a read, when it was actually just something that covered multiple bases.

With SF4 it took a while for someone to get into the real meat of the game because the game had horrible learning tools and being so chock-full of one frame links and had a skewed balance of defense versus offense, and it made for artificial barriers towards the real game. With SF5 you have people getting into it properly much faster, thinking about how they play more critically, and I think that's much better.

Another thing I like about SF5? The changes to the returning cast. I like the lengths they've gone to differentiate older characters from their past iterations and even from others in their template. To a layman, Ken was basically Ryu with flaming shoryukens. Akuma was Ryu with an air fireball. Now there's much more to set them apart on a very immediate level.

But I do think the game needs to have damage way toned across the board so that rounds aren't as prevalent to steamrolls. You shouldn't so often be able to have 40-50% life melted away from single mistakes.

The thing with SF5 is that it is very streamlined, and I would say to its benefit. It's the game where you don't have something hidden up your sleeve, all cards are laid bare, and that's a difficult thing to face for some. SF4 was basically comprised on the very basic level of input bugs like plinking and option selects like OS sweeping and crouch teching that lacked commitment.

So that's what I like about SF5 -- even if you're brand new to it, it's very what you see is what you get. You can watch people play and there's no obfuscation, they're just doing exactly what you see. Whereas in SF4 you might be watching a pro match and you'll see someone sweep a backdash and someone might think that it was a read, when it was actually just something that covered multiple bases.

With SF4 it took a while for someone to get into the real meat of the game because the game had horrible learning tools and being so chock-full of one frame links and had a skewed balance of defense versus offense, and it made for artificial barriers towards the real game. With SF5 you have people getting into it properly much faster, thinking about how they play more critically, and I think that's much better.

Another thing I like about SF5? The changes to the returning cast. I like the lengths they've gone to differentiate older characters from their past iterations and even from others in their template. To a layman, Ken was basically Ryu with flaming shoryukens. Akuma was Ryu with an air fireball. Now there's much more to set them apart on a very immediate level.

But I do think the game needs to have damage way toned across the board so that rounds aren't as prevalent to steamrolls. You shouldn't so often be able to have 40-50% life melted away from single mistakes.
I hope I can eventually say the same about Ibuki, Ryu and Alex. Her V-Trigger is dope, but outside of it she's still a lesser version compared to her SF4 and SFV incarnations moveset-wise (obviously not tier wise lol). Alex is a little better between the stun gun special, his v-trigger and greatly improved f.HP (compared to 3S), but he needs some sort of oki or midrange buff that isn't middling at the very least. Ryu could use some time extension on his v-trigger (and less v-gauge usage during his CA) and he is obviously missing donkey kick. Urien, Ken, Akuma, Cammy and Gief have made the jump to SFV far better while being kept intact or evolved in big ways.

cackhyena

A decent Mika makes me feel like the game is fucking broken. Same with Laura. Like there's very few things to stem the tide unless I want to learn frame data. Which I never have. So maybe I'll forever be stuck hovering between super silver and super gold.

At least in 4, I felt like I stood a better chance, because I've always been pretty decent with fundamentals. Never a technical wizard or anything, but I held my own. It feels like there's less breathing room in V.

At least in 4, I felt like I stood a better chance, because I've always been pretty decent with fundamentals. Never a technical wizard or anything, but I held my own. It feels like there's less breathing room in V.

If you were a Hugo fighting a Gouken/Juri/Poison, there was LOTS of breathing room...because you were never getting in on those guys lol.

Bad matchiups in SF4 were BAAAAAD matchups.

Bob White

A decent Mika makes me feel like the game is fucking broken. Same with Laura. Like there's very few things to stem the tide unless I want to learn frame data. Which I never have. So maybe I'll forever be stuck hovering between super silver and super gold.

Remember this always. Proximity negates skill. Don't feel bad about not being able to react to derp. And you beat Laura and Mika in the neutral. Watch Smug fight a mika in this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0H9Z1mZLXI

Poke and move back to a spot where you can punish her Slide/cr hp shoulder/jumps. You can beat charged st roundhouse on reaction with pretty much anything, so don't fear that. Also, think of her jump flop as the same range as slide. I actually think Mika is under powered right now. She needs her old cr hp back.

Laura...stay outside of her forward hp range and punish. That's really all I got. Never let her wake up with her 3 frame lp because its st lp > st mk > into vtrigger. Meaty the shit out of her or be ready to punish forward hp when she gets up.

MCD250

I don't know that that the theme is good (heh), but I think it's cool that it's hip hop and has actual lyrics and vocals and whatnot as opposed to being an electronic or hard rock instrumental arrangement like most themes have been so far. Like somebody said, it adds a bit of variety to the soundtrack.

For the record, my favorite theme with vocals from the game is probably Skies of Honor round 3.

https://youtu.be/OQMkltPglzc

I think a theme that's got vocals the entire time has the potential to become distracting. Hopefully it has some instrumental portions too.

I'm not really a fan of what we've heard of it so far either, but I'll obviously need to hear the full version a few times to get a better feel for it.

Spman2099

I didn't expect an Ed reaction video to be mostly him trying to rationalize why he doesn't like the game.

This a million times over. Jesus. Max should just play Mortal Kombat and Marvel. Those are the games this guy cares about. I think it makes sense for him to just stop making Street Fighter V videos, especially if he is going to spend the majority of the video's length talking about how he doesn't like the game.

it'd be like a persona fighting game
but good

You are the worst. The Persona fighting games were great.

Who did you play in SF4? I feel like nothing in SFV is worse than 6-4. The worse match ups in SF4 looked impossible to win.

T. Hawk vs Blanka
Guile vs Bison
Dhalsim vs a bunch of different rush down characters

I think if I spent a few minutes learning how to do Blanka's special moves I could probably beat Beef's T. Hawk in a FT5. Nothing is that easy mode in SFV.

MrCarter

He spends more time talking about not liking sfv than he does about Ed. Jesus.

For someone who says he's a fighting game enthusiast he doesn't half say some dumb shit. When he said Ed's not as bad as he thought he would be I thought "Well, you never saw his gameplay yet, so how can you judge already?!" - to his surprise though *shock horror* he seemed to like him so at least that's something.

cackhyena

Remember this always. Proximity negates skill. Don't feel bad about not being able to react to derp. And you beat Laura and Mika in the neutral. Watch Smug fight a mika in this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0H9Z1mZLXI

Poke and move back to a spot where you can punish her Slide/cr hp shoulder/jumps. You can beat charged st roundhouse on reaction with pretty much anything, so don't fear that. Also, think of her jump flop as the same range as slide. I actually think Mika is under powered right now. She needs her old cr hp back.

Laura...stay outside of her forward hp range and punish. That's really all I got. Never let her wake up with her 3 frame lp because its st lp > st mk > into vtrigger. Meaty the shit out of her or be ready to punish forward hp when she gets up.
Thanks, I'll try and incorporate this stuff.

Who did you play in SF4? I feel like nothing in SFV is worse than 6-4. The worse match ups in SF4 looked impossible to win.

T. Hawk vs Blanka
Guile vs Bison
Dhalsim vs a bunch of different rush down characters

I think if I spent a few minutes learning how to do Blanka's special moves I could probably beat Beef's T. Hawk in a FT5. Nothing is that easy mode in SFV.

There were definitely insanely bad match ups. V is far more balanced for sure. I bounced around a lot of characters in 4. Ibuki, Ryu, Guile, Dudley, Rog, Oni, E Ryu, Guy, Cody...I'm prolly forgetting a few. It is something I miss in V. I don't have much use for a lot of the characters in the way they work in V. It's a real bummer. I bounce between Akuma, Nash, Ibuki, Rog and Ryu... and occasionally Bison. Nash and Ryu in beta 1 were so much more fun than what they are now to me. And I know ibuki was a pain in the assnin 4 for people, but what she is in V is absolutely neutered in comparison, so I hardly touch her now.

I think it's a little ninja mask like Yusuke's in P5...

maxresdefault.jpg

Might be worn on the side of the head. Would fit well with the thing that looks like it might be a sword

P5A when

Yeah, I didn't necessarily expect the trailer's theme to be his actual one. I think that's cool.

Oh, and the VA is called Edward Bosco. Fitting.

when I saw that I thought it was his full name lol

smh new thread

For someone who says he's a fighting game enthusiast he doesn't half say some dumb shit. When he said Ed's not as bad as he thought he would be I thought "Well, you never saw his gameplay yet, so how can you judge already?!" - to his surprise though *shock horror* he seemed to like him so at least that's something.

Thanks, I'll try and incorporate this stuff.

There were definitely insanely bad match ups. V is far more balanced for sure. I bounced around a lot of characters in 4. Ibuki, Ryu, Guile, Dudley, Rog, Oni, E Ryu, Guy, Cody...I'm prolly forgetting a few. It is something I miss in V. I don't have much use for a lot of the characters in the way they work in V. It's a real bummer. I bounce between Akuma, Nash, Ibuki, Rog and Ryu... and occasionally Bison. Nash and Ryu in beta 1 were so much more fun than what they are now to me. And I know ibuki was a pain in the assnin 4 for people, but what she is in V is absolutely neutered in comparison, so I hardly touch her now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XgFsitnQw

Neoxon

I suppose the fortune teller in Ed's story would match that description of Menat. And while I was hoping for a non-Doll Habesha newcomer, I'll gladly take an Egyptian. Plus the fact that Menat is a name used by the Egyptian goddess Hathor also helps with the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom