• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

hbkdx12

Is there any logic as to why you can't run and reload at the same time given the game is so damn frenetic?

I constantly find myself in a situation where i start to reload, get mobbed or some such, run away only to turn around from a safe distance to return fire and realize i still need to reload

ugh.

i fucking hate devices, about half the time it kicks you away when you have the thing at 75 or 95% and costs you time. a few times i have had it fail because of that bullshit.

Steel

Banned
i fucking hate devices, about half the time it kicks you away when you have the thing at 75 or 95% and costs you time. a few times i have had it fail because of that bullshit.

Much as I hate devices, they're nowhere near as bad as hack*3 with interrupts.

Laiza

It's abundantly obvious that they haven't performed even the most rudimentary of balance passes with the game. The lack of a beta period is far too obvious here. Just like the rest of the game, it feels extremely rushed.

It's particularly galling considering that they had a really good baseline in ME3 to build off of. I understand they had to code and design a bunch of new guns, but even then, they should've built everything around the guns they knew work well rather than the seemingly haphazard complete lack of balance we have now.

And that's not even mentioning the sheer uselessness of any power that isn't a grenade, charge, annihilation, cloaking, or turbocharge. What happened there? Who playtested this and decided that this is good enough? I just don't get it, man.

Much as I hate devices, they're nowhere near as bad as hack*3 with interrupts.

Upload is shit if you cant spread the enemy out to get a clear point. but if you are against the Kett you are fucked because of the feind and the dude with the orbs and they both have an instakill.

Steel

Banned
It's abundantly obvious that they haven't performed even the most rudimentary of balance passes with the game. The lack of a beta period is far too obvious here. Just like the rest of the game, it feels extremely rushed.

It's particularly galling considering that they had a really good baseline in ME3 to build off of. I understand they had to code and design a bunch of new guns, but even then, they should've built everything around the guns they knew work well rather than the seemingly haphazard complete lack of balance we have now.

And that's not even mentioning the sheer uselessness of any power that isn't a grenade, charge, annihilation, cloaking, or turbocharge. What happened there? Who playtested this and decided that this is good enough? I just don't get it, man.

Yeah, it's definitely pretty clear they had worthless QA. One of the funnier things I've seen on the balance issues is looking at the raptor and the rapid fire gold sniper. One's silver the other is gold and yet, the silver weapon does more damage per shot, has a faster fire rate, is lighter, is more accurate... The only advantage the gold rapid fire sniper has is that it has a larger clip capacity. That's literally it. I mean, c'mon.

The powers are definitely also fucked, I completely agree with that. I mean, they get rid of builds that have over 100% power recharge... And then they made regular powers weaker on top of that? Really? I also don't understand how they thought that the assault turret was a good replacement for the drone.

Upload is shit if you cant spread the enemy out to get a clear point. but if you are against the Kett you are fucked because of the feind and the dude with the orbs and they both have an instakill.

Yep... Hack is so much easier.

Xevren

I hate upload so much, at least with devices having an infil or someone with stealth grid can make it really easy most of the time. Wouldn't hate upload so much if spawns weren't so whack sometimes.

I feel like ranking up a power doesn't even make it do that much more damage I dunno if the game is balanced around all rank X weapons and rank X characters but if so they messed up balancing the game around something only 1% of the population is gonna see. I don't wanna have fun in 50 hours I wanna have fun the entire time.

Steel

Banned
I feel like ranking up a power doesn't even make it do that much more damage I dunno if the game is balanced around all rank X weapons and rank X characters but if so they messed up balancing the game around something only 1% of the population is gonna see. I don't wanna have fun in 50 hours I wanna have fun the entire time.

Nah, that's not it. The good weapons are good at rank 1, the crap weapons are crap at rank X. Higher level weapons help, but not enough to make a huge difference. And most powers aren't even good when they're maxed out.

KKRT00

The powers are definitely also fucked, I completely agree with that. I mean, they get rid of builds that have over 100% power recharge... And then they made regular powers weaker on top of that? Really? I also don't understand how they thought that the assault turret was a good replacement for the drone.

Because you have 3 skills on different cooldowns, so you dont have to spec into one skill.
Also there are skills that you can use without cooldowns now due to speccing them into using shield resource.

Game is more balanced right now around synergies between different characters than solo play.

----
Is there any logic as to why you can't run and reload at the same time given the game is so damn frenetic?
The was in ME 3, You can jump now and reload though.

Steel

Banned
Because you have 3 skills on different cooldowns, so you dont have to spec into one skill.
Also there are skills that you can use without cooldowns now due to speccing them into using shield resource.

Game is more balanced right now around synergies between different characters than solo play.

There were already resource skills like grenades without cooldowns in ME3, there were already synergies between classes in ME3. Biotic and tech combos were also far more effective in ME3. Heck, even without the combos, the powers themselves were more potent. I don't think having separate cooldowns for powers was even a good idea.

I do think it's funny that everyone is stacking melee powers. Cause that's what I want in my third person cover based shooter to punch everything to death.

Jblanks

Anyone have a good Krogan Engineer build ? I've seen some that ignore the turret because it suppoesdly useless on Gold, but the combos seem pretty mediocre. I usually finish top of the scoreboard but am only level 13.

I also want to find a 2nd and maybe a 3rd class to play. I want the Krogan Gladiator/Vanguard as one and might try to Asari Adept since lots of people seem to like it.

KKRT00

There were already resource skills like grenades without cooldowns in ME3, there were already synergies between classes in ME3. Biotic and tech combos were also far more effective in ME3. Heck, even without the combos, the powers themselves were more potent. I don't think having separate cooldowns for powers was even a good idea.

Shared cooldowns were the worst idea Bioware implemented in ME 2. It completely kills some potential combinations.
And i have not said that there were no synergies in ME 3 MP, but way less than now, for example Asari Huntress is solely made as a support class, Asari Adept is fully synergistic with heavy buffs for team mates etc.

Powers are also potent right now, i can kill Hydra on Gold in two cooldowns on my Human Infiltrator.
Combos have to be weaker, because you can do like 5 of them in one second with proper team, if you could do that in ME 3 it would broke the game.

hbkdx12

Anyone have any issues hosting a game?

Trying to work on my vanguard and everytime i host a game I sit on the screen minutes on end with no one joining in

Snagret

I do think it's funny that everyone is stacking melee powers. Cause that's what I want in my third person cover based shooter to punch everything to death.
Especially given how scaled back the melee is from 3. No charge ups, no stringing multiple punches together, no cover pulls. Just the same punch that frustratingly pushes you 1-2 steps forward over and over so that you're having to constantly readjust your positioning and aiming in order to take an enemy down with melee.

The only reason Melee is even slightly fun as a build for me is because Charge is a fun skill, but even then I'd honestly much rather have a fun shotgun build than a melee one. In terms of DPS though, absolutely nothing tops melee (in my experience) right now. Why Charge in and then have to line up a shot that'll do half as much damage as a single punch that I can instantly execute would do?

There's a good game in there somewhere, but right now between the awful lag, weird glitches (that sometimes, furiously, affect progression), and pretty awful balance the MP is kind of in a sad state. Hopefully they can fix some of this stuff before the playerbase gets too irritated by these issues to stick around. ME3 multiplayer had the benefit of being a sleeper hit, so it was ok that they took some time to get it right. I feel like expectations are higher going into this one, and so far it's kind of a middling experience.

There's a good game in there somewhere, but right now between the awful lag, weird glitches (that sometimes, furiously, affect progression), and pretty awful balance the MP is kind of in a sad state. Hopefully they can fix some of this stuff before the playerbase gets too irritated by these issues to stick around. ME3 multiplayer had the benefit of being a sleeper hit, so it was ok that they took some time to get it right. I feel like expectations are higher going into this one, and so far it's kind of a middling experience.

I'm just thankful it's not Inquisition's co-op, which was an awkward mess of ideas slapped together. It just didn't work at all. Great example of trying to repeat ME3's success in a series that had no business with cooperative multiplayer. For Andromeda, a lot of the fixes are pretty apparent: buff pretty much everything. The groundwork is all laid out; only problem is that guns lack punch. Fix that, and we're pretty much in business as far as general gameplay goes.

Network issues are another big issue. No simple fix for that, unfortunately.

once they buff all the weapons, more people will use different classes. Im spending most of my time with a vanguard now because the weapons are too shit.

and who had the smart idea to have +1000 melee with all the fucking fish dog things that have the cloak, on the bronze Apex.

And most of the time i load into a game late i start downed because when im still loading in im getting murdered. they need to fix that soon.

I agree there are balance issues but we really need to compare this to vanilla ME3 MP and not the finished product we all remember.

There was plenty of broken shit out of the gate. The multi really didn't hit its stride until the second DLC. We ran Geth/Gold/White (which was like, 95% of public gold games at one point) so many times I started having dreams about headshotting geth with my black widow. And it wasn't exactly exciting running salarian engineer game after game using decoy while hiding behind a desk, but that was the meta for a while.

I'm willing to see what kind of support they give this thing moving forward. I'm having a really good time playing with my buddies so far despite the current issues and all lost xp/credits from this past week.

I opened up some gold packs yesterday, and I ended up getting the Krogan Vanguard and the Asari Duelist. After playing a bunch of games with a melee built Krogan Mercenary, I'll be eager to play some melee built classes with Charge in their kit.

The Asari's sword strike is a little unwieldy, I think. A teleport into a sword strike? I'll have to get used to that. At least the Krogan Vanguard still has the headbutt.

Krogan Engineer is unplayable due to the voice. Seriously, did they forget effects and who wrote those lines? "Sweet!"

The framerate is also a gigantic pile of ass on PS4 and makes sniping more difficult than it should be. Unfortunately all my friends are playing on it. :( Otherwise, the game is starting to feel like ME3 MP again and is a lot of fun despite the obvious balance issues.

X-Frame

Very sad to hear and see the state of the MP. I played a few games but it didn't grab me immediately like the ME3 MP Demo did, and then 500 hours beyond in the full game.

Looks like I'll wait a few weeks before I make any time investment in the system. Seeing people using melee over a shotgun is ridiculous. A Raptor as a better Assault Rifle than actual Assault Rifles. A fully leveled up Overload specced for damage that seemingly can't fully strip a shielded enemy on Bronze. I don't get it.

i dont understand why some people jump into gold with L1 characters. and they are under a 400 APEX rating. they wont even get far enough to get the fail credits.

Jamaro85

All the assault rifles suck so far, the avenger I can manage with with turbocharge, the Kett assault rifle can kinda work, but it runs outta ammo fast and doesn't do more than average, the mattock plain sucks.

As far as snipers are concerned, the incisor sucks, the raptor is OK, the viper is usable, but only the vanquisher can drop more than common enemies on gold in a single clip reasonably quickly

So soldier with Avenger and turbocharge is gold viable? And infiltrator with Viper? My weapon selection is really limited but I do have both of those maxed. I've been running the Avenger with my Atari on bronze, haven't tried the Viper since IV. Heck I haven't tried silver yet but if these setups are decent on gold I may finally dip my toe in silver.

Looks like I'll wait a few weeks before I make any time investment in the system. Seeing people using melee over a shotgun is ridiculous. A Raptor as a better Assault Rifle than actual Assault Rifles. A fully leveled up Overload specced for damage that seemingly can't fully strip a shielded enemy on Bronze. I don't get it.

Yeah when I maxed overload and couldn't strip a shield in bronze I said screw the engineer. No idea how that is supposed to be viable in anything above.

Syrus

Banned
I hink the MP is great.

Doing gold woth my female engineer now. I need a new class but ive won 4 out of 7 gold matches so far.

Usig Lanat and Scorpion.

The engineer is weak but my main role in gold ia diversion with my turret , freezing all non shield and armor guys and reviving.

I also use my cobras in later levels to contribute damage

Steel

Banned
So soldier with Avenger and turbocharge is gold viable? And infiltrator with Viper? My weapon selection is really limited but I do have both of those maxed. I've been running the Avenger with my Atari on bronze, haven't tried the Viper since IV. Heck I haven't tried silver yet but if these setups are decent on gold I may finally dip my toe in silver.

More or less. Like, I wouldn't want to do it, but I got away with it once. Haven't tried infiltrator viper on gold, though, I'd sooner turbocharge the viper. As I said, it's a workable weapon, but only just.

Shared cooldowns were the worst idea Bioware implemented in ME 2. It completely kills some potential combinations.
And i have not said that there were no synergies in ME 3 MP, but way less than now, for example Asari Huntress is solely made as a support class, Asari Adept is fully synergistic with heavy buffs for team mates etc.

Powers are also potent right now, i can kill Hydra on Gold in two cooldowns on my Human Infiltrator.
Combos have to be weaker, because you can do like 5 of them in one second with proper team, if you could do that in ME 3 it would broke the game.

No, shared cooldowns were a great idea. Let's say you have an engineer with drone, overload, and incinerate. Because of the shared cooldowns, each individual ability can be powerful and you actually have to coordinate with your team or have insane cooldown times to get tech combos that are far more powerful than ME:A's. In ME:3 overload in its own right can strip shields, so it'd be the first thing you'd use on shielded enemies, and then when you got to armor, you'd use incinerate repeatedly. There was little point in using overload on a health enemy or incinerate on shields, they'd have their role and do it well.

Now, that same combo of powers has less use. Getting a combo does very little, overload sucks even against shields by itself, incinerate does fuck all on gold except for being able to finish an enemy if you need to reload. Not to mention incinerate only combos if you use it first before another power.

And you're acting like ME3 didn't have purely support classes. Do you actually remember the classes? Cause it doesn't seem like it.

As for your hydra points, even on gold Hydras are easy. My turian havoc soldier can get a gold hydra in one-two clips of the vanquisher+turbocharge(well, it doesn't go down as fast with other weapons, mind).

Well I guess I am just having a different experience than most here, because I'm very happy with my human sentinel. Power drain is now a primer with throw being the detonator. Hell, I barely use the barricade unless I'm stuck in a bad position. I can't wait to get a class that has throw, power drain and a better third power other than barricade.

Regarding the weapons, my charger IX rips through enemies, has a nice clip and max ammo. I have the falcon I or katana X as a back up but hardly use them. When I use the charger with an ammo boost(also serves as a primer), silver enemies, with a decent team is pretty easy. Well all except the damn Kett. Bronze is easy as hell now. The last Bronze I played, I rarely used any cover.

TL; DR: you can still wreck shop and have fun with builds other than vanguard, snipers or melee builds.

Lastly, I can't believe EA/Bioware hasn't made a statement of reassurance about the game.

Renekton

Regarding the weapons, my charger IX rips through enemies, has a nice clip and max ammo. I have the falcon I or katana X as a back up but hardly use them. When I use the charger with an ammo boost(also serves as a primer), silver enemies, with a decent team is pretty easy. Well all except the damn Kett. Bronze is easy as hell now. The last Bronze I played, I rarely used any cover.
Charger felt good in Bronze, but in Silver it barely dents health lol.

Steel

Banned

Yeah, I like how the charger feels but damage-wise it takes forever to kill things above bronze. I can say the same thing about a lot of guns. Hopefully the hurricane is actually decent with turbocharge. I miss the tempest.

Maybe my expectations are different or low because I expect silver to be a bit harder. So I usually use ammo buffs when playing silver. It's accurate as hell and has that long clip, so I love it.

Rarius

Not a fan of this game having the same spawning problems as the fortresses in SP. It's -not- okay that enemies spawn within a few feet of me.

KKRT00

No, shared cooldowns were a great idea. Let's say you have an engineer with drone, overload, and incinerate. Because of the shared cooldowns, each individual ability can be powerful and you actually have to coordinate with your team or have insane cooldown times to get tech combos that are far more powerful than ME:A's. In ME:3 overload in its own right can strip shields, so it'd be the first thing you'd use on shielded enemies, and then when you got to armor, you'd use incinerate repeatedly. There was little point in using overload on a health enemy or incinerate on shields, they'd have their role and do it well.

Now, that same combo of powers has less use. Getting a combo does very little, overload sucks even against shields by itself, incinerate does fuck all on gold except for being able to finish an enemy if you need to reload. Not to mention incinerate only combos if you use it first before another power.

And you're acting like ME3 didn't have purely support classes. Do you actually remember the classes? Cause it doesn't seem like it.

As for your hydra points, even on gold Hydras are easy. My turian havoc soldier can get a gold hydra in one-two clips of the vanquisher+turbocharge(well, it doesn't go down as fast with other weapons, mind).

With shared cooldowns you cant make very powerful abilities with long cooldowns, which automatically make the system flawed.

You can combo with Incinerate, you just need to spec in it.

Incinerate is still very useful against armor, i dont know what are you talking about.

Can you name those support classes from ME 3? Because when i played i dont remember anything similar and i'm looking through skills and still not seeing anything like what we got in MEA, except for some one passive on classes for Squadmates.

Pics_nao

Wait a minute. Krogan Warlord or whatever is new isn't it? It's the 5th Ultra Rare now right? There were 4 on release correct? Is this how they're gonna pump out new characters? I'm not opposed to the idea. Just wish I could dlc scum to get certain characters.

I played about 800 hours of ME3 MP, and I was really, really looking forward to this. But I'm not feeling the magic at all. The enemies feel less varied and well-planned (I always thought ME3 had great design in their enemy variety), the loot feels worse (guns feel worthless, as many have talked about here), and what to the design team was supposed to be "more movement" feels to me like "you're constantly being shot no matter where you go."

Sad face.

There is no pvp at all.

Hulk-smile-gif.gif

Steel

Banned
With shared cooldowns you cant make very powerful abilities with long cooldowns, which automatically make the system flawed.

You can combo with Incinerate, you just need to spec in it.

Incinerate is still very useful against armor, i dont know what are you talking about.

Can you name those support classes from ME 3? Because when i played i dont remember anything similar and i'm looking through skills and still not seeing anything like what we got in MEA, except for some one passive on classes for Squadmates.

First, incinerate can always combo, you just need to use it first for it to be comboed. Second, incinerate does better against armor than other powers, but it only does a little more than 1/10th of an assembler in damage on gold, and with a single combo it won't even kill an assembler on gold.

ME 3 support abilities: the Volus has shield boost. The N7 demolisher has the supply pylon. The protector uses a shield. Sabotage was also more or less a support ability. Drone, turret and decoy were support abilities. I'd also say stasis was a support ability. These were all present in ME3 off the top of my head.

Not to mention there were a lot of abilities that could be specced to increase damage inflicted on enemies when they were used.

Additionally, I don't see any powerful abilities with long cooldowns in this that weren't stronger in ME3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait a minute. Krogan Warlord or whatever is new isn't it? It's the 5th Ultra Rare now right? There were 4 on release correct? Is this how they're gonna pump out new characters? I'm not opposed to the idea. Just wish I could dlc scum to get certain characters.
Yeah, it was added on Thursday or Friday.

Speaking of, Item Store equipment rotates every Thursday apparently, so you still have some time to get the Juggernaut armor.

I played about 800 hours of ME3 MP, and I was really, really looking forward to this. But I'm not feeling the magic at all. The enemies feel less varied and well-planned (I always thought ME3 had great design in their enemy variety), the loot feels worse (guns feel worthless, as many have talked about here), and what to the design team was supposed to be "more movement" feels to me like "you're constantly being shot no matter where you go."

Sad face.

That's also my biggest complaint about MP. The Letter is the only enemy that feels anywhere close. Remnant is bad and outlaws are just alright. Nothing compared to the enemies of ME3 and their more unique and enjoyable abilities, behaviors and diversified/interesting weakpoints/weaknesses.

For me Andromeda while I've enjoyed it, so far has really been a letdown insofar that it didn't really do a whole lot to improve on what was already there. It's just feels like a layer of paint at best.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it, and I like certain aspects (Movement and combat has never been better) but I feel a lot could have been extended or flushed out more, especially in multiplayer. I would have liked to see more of the crafting and customization portion in single player to carry over instead of the pre established classes. More and varied mission types and objectives etc. They still have time to improve on that I guess. But the foundation is still just an attempted carbon copy that is lacking a bit.

I wasn't having a good time earlier in the week due to bugs, but somehow over the weekend I no longer had games crash or connection drops at all. As such, I'm having a lot of fun.

I echo the sentiment that guns needsa buff across the board, but perhaps not to the degree that the more vocal individuals on Reddit are asking for. I agree that it's a bit problematic that for people without good guns (and in some cases, even people with), melee does significantly more damage, but I actually have grown to like the melee system and see what they were going for. Aside from the specific melee focused classes in ME3 i don't remember it being all that useful for most builds, but the buffs and fitness passives such as the shield restoring punches mean you can throw punches into the mix of guns&powers easier and use them to help get out of bad situations.

I've been focusing on a human adept, asari sentinel and asari duelist for gold and thankfully every match so far has been an extraction, even if everyone on the team isn't using a vanquisher. I'm under the impression that combo explosion damage increases based on difficulty, and the adept in particular is insane - I've seen a singularity+shockwave combo pop off something like 4 explosions at once. Rolling with an equalizer and charger, which definitely is one of the best guns under gold.

Ultimately I feel like the foundation here is solid, the game breaking bugs need to be addressed ASAP though. Waiting to see how the team handles the first set of balance changes - try not to get too dissuaded if they're not as encompassing as some may want, I'd rather them take things slowly to get them right.

Also agreed on reload cancelling reflexes destroying me on the regular. In general the reloading animations don't seem to sync up with my expectations on when my clip has been filled, so a lot of times I keep doing things with 0 bullets. Trying to get in the habit of ducking into cover while reloading.

Sad face.

I dunno, I put in a similar amount of time with ME3 MP, and I'm quite enjoying the mobility and the gameplay overall. It's a little different in the details, sure, and Wave 6 Upload with Kett can eat a dick, but still having a lot of fun.

Then again, playing a class that benefits from the mobility helps a lot. Havoc Troopers get it done.

Top Bottom