• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer Thread

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is the progression like ME3 Multiplayer whereas you have to grind those random chests to level up your gun? I've steered clear of Dragon's age multiplayer mode due to this.

The grind was so real in me3 mp but it was a lot of fun.
Yeah, you gotta drop the gun 10 times to max it out.

Is the progression like ME3 Multiplayer whereas you have to grind those random chests to level up your gun? I've steered clear of Dragon's age multiplayer mode due to this.

The grind was so real in me3 mp but it was a lot of fun.

I wont be playing it though if it has those horrible random loot chests again though

Now you get to grind characters too! But free DLC and my enjoyment playing the games makes it seem less daunting. Already through the basic pack universe, onwards and upward.

patchday

Yeah, you gotta drop the gun 10 times to max it out.

thanks I guess I will be steering clear of multiplayer then. I can't sign up for that massive grindfest again. It's a fun system at first when you're new but after you get all the basic loot all you will get is a ton of useless medgels and stuff lol. No way I'm doing that again

Have fun tho guys I had a lot of fun in me3 mp but it was so hard to unhook myself from that loot box addiction

Thanks for your answer sir!

(edit- I have the game but will only do the single player campaign lol)

Has anyone tried gold with a charger X? I'm thinking about trying to do gold with my melee human vanguard to farm credits and max out my uncommons and characters.

Now you get to grind characters too! But free DLC and my enjoyment playing the games makes it seem less daunting. Already through the basic pack universe, onwards and upward.
Yeah over the course of the year I'm sure they will be dropping new maps for free just like with me3 and more characters. I'm content with playing bronze forever with just the sidewinder pistol to keep my recharges low with every new character.

oneils

Has anyone tried gold with a charger X? I'm thinking about trying to do gold with my melee human vanguard to farm credits and max out my uncommons and characters.

I've used the charger X on silver and it wasn't great. Do you have a raptor? Maybe that would be better on gold.

Equipment Timer

edit: people asking about the equipment and when it changes over. Look in the item store and select the equipment as if you are going to buy it. It tells you how much time is left to buy it. I think there is still over a week to buy it.

The server seems a lot more stable now. 7 clean games in a row and no "0 XP" glitch at the end of matches.

I guess the first week was the beta. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With Vanguard, it doesn't matter since you are meleeing anyway (although Shotgun has a bigger melee damage bonus). Charger is apparently one of the better earlier weapons though.

thanks I guess I will be steering clear of multiplayer then. I can't sign up for that massive grindfest again. It's a fun system at first when you're new but after you get all the basic loot all you will get is a ton of useless medgels and stuff lol. No way I'm doing that again

Have fun tho guys I had a lot of fun in me3 mp but it was so hard to unhook myself from that loot box addiction

Thanks for your answer sir!

(edit- I have the game but will only do the single player campaign lol)
Yeah, the game is grindier than ME3 apparently.

I like playing Vanguard, but the lag lately has been killing it for me. It's particularly bad for a melee based character. lol

So the game is quickly settling into a vanguard mêlée or sniper meta. Maxing trash in packs also doesn't matter as they are replaced by consumables - you can't increase your odds. Outlaw only rooms are commonplace as there is no benefit for random enemies.

I hope we see some adjustments soon. I'm having a good time but I want to see some more variety or it'll get old fast.

Also - please do not spend money on MP. I did it for you. I value my time more than cash so I spent some, but this game is a bad investment. ZERO ultra rares in ten premium packs.

Blank!

So the game is quickly settling into a vanguard mêlée or sniper meta. Maxing trash in packs also doesn't matter as they are replaced by consumables - you can't increase your odds. Outlaw only rooms are commonplace as there is no benefit for random enemies.

I hope we see some adjustments soon. I'm having a good time but I want to see some more variety or it'll get old fast.

Also - please do not spend money on MP. I did it for you. I value my time more than cash so I spent some, but this game is a bad investment. ZERO ultra rares in ten premium packs.

Yeah, miss the bonus for random map/enemies. Also hoping for some waepon/damage changes. There's a whole lot of punching going on in most games....

Whales

Banned
Yeah, miss the bonus for random map/enemies. Also hoping for some waepon/damage changes. There's a whole lot of punching going on in most games....

yep

I actually dont understand qhy they'd even remove the random bonuses... Makes no sense

All weapons need to get their damage increased by a fuckton... like 50% at least

and combos also need a huge damage boost, I would even say as far as at LEAST a 100% damage increase... on silver a biotic explosion doesnt even strip HALF of an enemy's shield... pathetic

once they buff the weapons and powers ( or make the enemy less tanky) this will be better than me3mp. So far, it aint

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to assume the powers will be stronger once those equipment pieces go up for sale.
Honestly the melee isn't really to deal damage, it's to get your shields up and basically have got mode while engaging groups of enemies. The minute lag screws with you and you can't punch anyone, your die.

Trickster

About to try multiplayer after having finished singleplayer. But I saw a gameplay video from it, and it seems like I'm just gonna be fighting the same enemy types as I did in the singleplayer portion of the game. Is this accurate?

Not to be needlessly dismissive,but i don't really see the appeal of multiplayer if that's the case.

Blank!

I have to assume the powers will be stronger once those equipment pieces go up for sale.
Honestly the melee isn't really to deal damage, it's to get your shields up and basically have got mode while engaging groups of enemies. The minute lag screws with you and you can't punch anyone, your die.

You're crazy. Melee DPS is incredibly solid. Easily the most damaging DPS move you have early on. It only gets better for characters that can spec into melee-damage. I was punching shit before I even had those fancy shield -> melee powers it's that good. The survivability is just an added bonus that makes it gold-viable (perhaps a little too easy/gold viable but that's another discussion).

Weapon damage is just garbage for like 90% of the weapons :(

Big Nikus

I'd like to know who at BioWare had the genius idea to switch the buttons on the D-pad for the healing item and the ammo refuel...
What's the point ? I keep screwing up because of hundred of hours in ME3 MP (that I'm still playing on the side so it makes it worse).

Cat Party

About to try multiplayer after having finished singleplayer. But I saw a gameplay video from it, and it seems like I'm just gonna be fighting the same enemy types as I did in the singleplayer portion of the game. Is this accurate?

Not to be needlessly dismissive,but i don't really see the appeal of multiplayer if that's the case.

The appeal to me is that you get to play as non-human characters with a wide variety of loadouts and abilities in a fast paced battle where teamwork is important. It's not for everyone, of course, since the unlocks are extremely grindy and there isn't much variety right now. In ME3, they supported the hell out of the mode with new characters, maps, and enemies (all free) and frequent balance changes. Hopefully they will do the same here.

Jamaro85

I'd like to know who at BioWare had the genius idea to switch the buttons on the D-pad for the healing item and the ammo refuel...
What's the point ? I keep screwing up because of hundred of hours in ME3 MP (that I'm still playing on the side so it makes it worse).

Yeah I'm really lost on why they did that. It's even more weird for me on the PC having to make awkward reaches to numbers 4-7 to select an item. I actually went and mapped the up/down/left/right arrows to match ME3 equipment.

For those using the asari adept, how is the level 6 lance option to have no cool down but drain your shields? I'm a little nervous about that, despite having the annihilation 30% shield recharge upgrade for enemies dying within the radius.

Mêlée actually does an incredible amount of damage especially with appropriate skills. That is why it's so popular for Gold and considering the pitiful state of most weapons. The shield boost is just icing on the cake.

Imagine your punch does 50% of an enemies hp on Bronze. A few shots of a weapon also does 50% hp on Bronze. Now in Gold your punch still does almost 50% hp, but a full clip of your weapon can't down an enemy.

I will give you the misses though - there is no mêlée lock on and if you aren't host you'll be wiffing a lot.

dohdeaux

PSN- kilaton

I made a community page(PS4) for it but there's not too many of us on there. Enjoying it so far, as someone who spent well over 1000 hours on ME:3 mp.

B00TE

Got the one class I wanted: the krogan mercenary. Having a lot of fun with him! Will echo sentiments of wanting them to look at damage, certainly feels like combos aren't near as strong as they should be.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game's mp feels utterly chaotic for me, and it feels like a different kind of chaotic to Mass Effect 3.

How should I say this... in Mass Effect 3, it feels like even in chaos you can still make a sense of things, you know? How to get a good position, how to systemically dispatch enemies one by one, how to make use of the environment to your advantage, stuff like that.

In here though... it feels like an utter chaos, a disorganized chaos. Enemies coming from all sides, above, below, left, right, around you from seemingly random location and in such force with such numbers that it's hard to get a bearing at times or to catch your breath. Very punishing. Not to mention people jump-jetting all over the place like crazy, lol.

Well, maybe I still need more time to better appreciate it.

Anyways, want to ask you folk something: in devices, why it seems like my character, when I attempt to disable a device, always never able to complete a full circle when disabling it? The character is always interrupted mid-way, standing, and I need to press and hold triangle (PS4) again over and over again on the device... why is that? I feel like I'm missing something here.

The lack of reload cancelling is really messing with me whenever I try to go with a shotgun or sniper. Instinctively press space or using a power when that clip goes in only to realize that I didn't actually reload is infuriating. Hopefully bioware can add it back in a balance patch.

tootie923

Anyways, want to ask you folk something: in devices, why it seems like my character, when I attempt to disable a device, always never able to complete a full circle when disabling it? The character is always interrupted mid-way, standing, and I need to press and hold triangle (PS4) again over and over again on the device... why is that? I feel like I'm missing something here.

I don't know if it's due to lag or something, but it drives me crazy too. Uncharted 4 MP has a similar button holding mechanic for reviving teammates, except it's much more forgiving. You don't have to look at them precisely or be perfectly-placed near them. ME3's device disabling was a lot easier also.

Normal Enemies can stagger you now, some shoots can also stagger on interrupt action,

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't know if it's due to lag or something, but it drives me crazy too. Uncharted 4 MP has a similar button holding mechanic for reviving teammates, except it's much more forgiving. You don't have to look at them precisely or be perfectly-placed near them.

Oh it's happening to you too?

But any other thing worked perfectly though :/ Like, I have no problem when reviving team-mates, and the game does not show any other sign of lag, but only when doing devices I can't disable a device all the way, my character are always interrupted mid-way and I have to press and hold it over and over and over again.

Normal Enemies can stagger you now, some shoots can also stagger on interrupt action,

I am aware, but it also happened even when there's no enemies around.

Whales

Banned
This game's mp feels utterly chaotic for me, and it feels like a different kind of chaotic to Mass Effect 3.

How should I say this... in Mass Effect 3, it feels like even in chaos you can still make a sense of things, you know? How to get a good position, how to systemically dispatch enemies one by one, how to make use of the environment to your advantage, stuff like that.

In here though... it feels like an utter chaos, a disorganized chaos. Enemies coming from all sides, above, below, left, right, around you from seemingly random location and in such force with such numbers that it's hard to get a bearing at times or to catch your breath. Very punishing. Not to mention people jump-jetting all over the place like crazy, lol.

the devices issue happened to me for the first time today.
my guess is that the games you were in were laggy as fuck so it kept messing up the full circle

tootie923

But any other thing worked perfectly though :/ Like, I have no problem when reviving team-mates, and the game does not show any other sign of lag, but only when doing devices I can't disable a device all the way, my character are always interrupted mid-way and I have to press and hold it over and over and over again.

Weird thing is it doesn't happen all the time, maybe 2-3 times so far. I haven't played a lot of multiplayer yet, probably 5-6 hours total on the PS4.

CLBridges

The jet pack is really the game changer. Just gotta get used to the verticality, whereas me3mp was all about controlling one side of map, then switching sides if things get to chaotic.

Blank!

The jet pack is really the game changer. Just gotta get used to the verticality, whereas me3mp was all about controlling one side of map, then switching sides if things get to chaotic.

I find this is still largely the case, except now there are more escape routes. Some maps you can go high, mid, or low. Pods of enemies seem to come in 3's, just that sometimes all the pods spawn on top of each other that's when shit gets real. The radar certainly helps, but if you find yourself in thick shit just retreat. The enemies don't all move at the same speed, you can run out/recharge double back and take out the faster guys.

If I run into any of the "Boss" enemies early on in the wave, I'll simply run away/avoid him until he's last. There doesn't seem to be much point in wasting time killing it when you can just save it for last and zerg it down (objective rounds withstanding, but that's what cobra's are for).

Honestly, running away is underrated. There's no reason to force a bad engagement against superior numbers if you can't handle it (and/or your team isn't there to back you). Nothing more cringe inducing than seeing a random rambo die across the map and knowing he just bit off more than he can chew (and then not-self rezzing and "forcing" the team to go pick up his sorry ass).

Its like playing the new CODs , you just gotta get used to the jet pack and run like hell via dashing than running

Whales

Banned
oh yeah, also another dumb decision: the cobra doesnt one shot the big boys on gold... absolutely ridiculous

I shot an hydra in the face with one and it only got hi down to like /3 of his health... Wtf were they thinking? I need to blow 2 rockets to make sure everything dies now?

Heck, I think the ascendant doesnt even GET DAMAGED when his orb is up and you fire a cobra on him. Absolutely dumb

Snagret

This is essentially how I feel about it. I think a big difference is that in ME3 it was a lot more viable to set up a camping spot and defend your position, whereas now you're so constantly being flanked by enemies literally teleporting in on top of you you're better off charging through the map rather than waiting for various melee-rush enemies to harass you out of position anyways. The game's enemies swarm you like bees, unlike before where they'd usually be spawned in a couple corners of the maps and trickle in to you. It just feels messy, rather than whatever it seems like they were going for.

But like you said, the increased mobility means it's much harder to actually cooperate with your teammates, because practically everyone is lone wolfing it and one second you could be running with them and the next second that person jetpacked on top of a building and you lose track of them in a fight and suddenly you don't have backup anymore. In ME3, it was a lot easier to predict where a teammate could be because they were essentially locked to the floor and the levels had much less verticality. The problem is, the game is still built around pretty hardcore teammate cooperation because the enemies do a lot of damage and also have a ton of health.

I think the sound design is part of the problem. The directional nature of sound in MEA feels significantly less informative to me, oftentimes​ I'm not even sure that I'm being flanked and my only indicator is that my health is draining more rapidly than it would if I was only being shot at by the enemies in front of me. And the nature of the level designs means you're constantly exposed from multiple angles, so in just about any scenario your best bet is to take potshots at whoever you can till your shields run out, then run away to a less "hot" part of the map (which only lasts about 10 seconds if you're lucky).

All of these combine to just create kind of a rough gameplay loop. It goes for "breathless chaos" but loses a lot of what made ME3 such a charming multiplayer experience in the first place. There's not nearly as much weight or tactic involved. It's not -bad-, but I definitely think it needs some tweaking. I'm fine that it's different from ME3, which was pretty flawed in its own right in many ways, but they need to build on what they have. With a little love, it could be great and a ton of fun. Hopefully they make some adjustments to enemy health, or gun/power damage, and enemy spawns.

CLBridges

One of the MP tips that display while loading into an MP match should be, "It's ok to use your consumables, they are there to give you a leg up on the enemy". I see so many people who don't use consumables and I don't know why. They help you to kill faster, thus farm credits quicker lol. Maybe they're "saving" them for...something.

Jamaro85

Agree with pretty much all of that. I don't know if it's by design to increase difficulty because of the added movement capability we have now, but it's really damn annoying. It feels like there is no such thing as good position in this game. In ME3 I could hold an area and never feel like enemies were going to quickly and unexpectedly be right on my back. It felt like you could control spawns to a degree by positioning yourself properly, whereas in ME:A it feels like an enemy will eventually spawn around the corner behind you and be right on your back. The only places you can really sit without having enemies spawn behind you are the extraction zones, but even in bronze it is way too easy to become overwhelmed there.

And yes, the device randomly stopping progress is ANNOYING, especially because it does it over and over and over. It's convenient that you can look in any direction while working the devices, but with not knowing if progress will be broken you have to stare at the device in anticipation of hitting the button again.

Yeah you can get knocked off the spot and have the device interaction broken, but we're talking about interaction just straight up stopping for no apparent reason. In contrast I've had times where I was getting shot or mauled by a hound and was able to continue working the device with no interruption.

Snagret

One of the MP tips that display while loading into an MP match should be, "It's ok to use your consumables, they are there to give you a leg up on the enemy". I see so many people who don't use consumables and I don't know why. They help you to kill faster, thus farm credits quicker lol. Maybe they're "saving" them for...something.
It might be people saving up for expensive packs. If you buy a lot of Basic Crates in the beginning you practically drown in consumables, but if you're playing bronze matches to save up for the premium loot box you probably won't have too many.

As far as I remember, the game also doesn't really teach you about consumables in the tutorial mission. Plus they aren't in the SP, so I'd wager a lot of folks just don't even really realize what they are or how they work.

Also, I totally have that device glitch happen to me. You can kind of force it to finish if you just jump back onto the device when it kicks you off (usually have to do that about 5-7 times), but it's super annoying and they need to fix that asap.

One other thing I miss from ME3, slightly more variety in mission objectives. Whatever happened to escorting the drone across the map or CTF? And no new ones aside from the "hack multiple locations" objective? Hm...alright.

RS4-

I don't mind farming gold, it's just ehh. At least on silver it's pretty casual and braindead.

...of course, this is someone that is using the scrub ass vanguard build.

Xevren

How do you build the adept asari? I am trying to replicate the melee build 1vs1 but ending killed in the process

Main things that matter :

Annihilation radius/damage attractor/draining
Offensive biotics rank 5 exposure/biotic warrior
Barrier unyielding/barrier drain/saving barrier

I went the route of capping annihilation first, then getting barrier drain in the barrier tree. Once I got those I could do silver fine. Having juggernaught shields and a shotgun or pistol with +melee obviously helps.

I think I'm taking a break until the Drell comes out I've gotten almost 30 hours in the multiplayer and single player is god awful.

CLBridges

It might be people saving up for expensive packs. If you buy a lot of Basic Crates in the beginning you practically drown in consumables, but if you're playing bronze matches to save up for the premium loot box you probably won't have too many.

As far as I remember, the game also doesn't really teach you about consumables in the tutorial mission. Plus they aren't in the SP, so I'd wager a lot of folks just don't even really realize what they are or how they work.

Also, I totally have that device glitch happen to me. You can kind of force it to finish if you just jump back onto the device when it kicks you off (usually have to do that about 5-7 times), but it's super annoying and they need to fix that asap.

One other thing I miss from ME3, slightly more variety in mission objectives. Whatever happened to escorting the drone across the map or CTF? And no new ones aside from the "hack multiple locations" objective? Hm...alright.

I'm hoping that as the MP progresses, new objectives will be added. What do we have now... Assassinate, Hack, Devices and ConnectABC. Yeah, add drone, CTF and maybe something new like uhh, destroy enemy tech/resources.

Cat Party

Yes, I've had this happen a few times. Seems to be a bug, because it only happens sometimes. I think it may have to do with whether you are near cover but I haven't had it happen enough to test.

Whales

Banned

damn, I actually totally forgot about CTF and the drone

tbh the new uploadABC one sucks too, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make the progress halt when there's an enemy in the zone.. it's just plain annoying, especially with the god damn amount of dogs that appear and just interrupt you every 2 seconds

Snagret

damn, I actually totally forgot about CTF and the drone

tbh the new uploadABC one sucks too, I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make the progress halt when there's an enemy in the zone.. it's just plain annoying, especially with the god damn amount of dogs that appear and just interrupt you every 2 seconds
The dogs really bum me out, and are really indicative of another problem I have with the MP: 2 of the 3 factions have too many samey enemies, and overall there isn't too significant of a tactical difference in how you approach each faction. The boss mobs are the most significant, but even then there's literally only one for each class and aside from that, most mobs might as well be functionally interchangeable between factions and it really wouldn't change that much. There's a distinct lack of variety even within individual factions, you're just fighting the same 4-5 humanoid characters over and over oh and also a ton of dogs and one boss per wave towards the end.

I think that's why I like fighting the robots the best, they have unique hitboxes and behaviors that make them actually feel different. But then, The Observers are the most annoying mob in the game and they get thrown at you by the handful so it kind of ruins it a bit.

In general the MP is incredibly light on content out of the box, considering the grind you're expected to engage with in order to progress.

Garland7G

I've had this happen to me multiple times, I think its lag.

Steel

Banned
Gotten to the point where my group can more or less eek their way through gold most of the time. I've been getting more and more amazed by how many guns suck in this game. I've got all the silver weapons and all the bronze weapons with a handful of golds, but the only guns I'd consider good-great are the talon and the Vanquisher, with the vanquisher being by far the best gun I have. All the assault rifles suck so far, the avenger I can manage with with turbocharge, the Kett assault rifle can kinda work, but it runs outta ammo fast and doesn't do more than average, the mattock plain sucks.

Most of the shotguns I can manage with, but they're no more than average. As far as snipers are concerned, the incisor sucks, the raptor is OK, the viper is usable, but only the vanquisher can drop more than common enemies on gold in a single clip reasonably quickly. All the pistols are varying levels of suck other than the talon... They really need to do some balancing, in ME3 I could make most of the weapons work well, if not great, it was always just a matter of mods and class.

The lack of reload cancelling is really messing with me whenever I try to go with a shotgun or sniper. Instinctively press space or using a power when that clip goes in only to realize that I didn't actually reload is infuriating. Hopefully bioware can add it back in a balance patch.

This so much. Doesn't help that the reloads are almost universally longer.

The dogs really bum me out, and are really indicative of another problem I have with the MP: 2 of the 3 factions have too many samey enemies, and overall there isn't too significant of a tactical difference in how you approach each faction. The boss mobs are the most significant, but even then there's literally only one for each class and aside from that, most mobs might as well be functionally interchangeable between factions and it really wouldn't change that much. There's a distinct lack of variety even within individual factions, you're just fighting the same 4-5 humanoid characters over and over oh and also a ton of dogs and one boss per wave towards the end.

I think that's why I like fighting the robots the best, they have unique hitboxes and behaviors that make them actually feel different. But then, The Observers are the most annoying mob in the game and they get thrown at you by the handful so it kind of ruins it a bit.

In general the MP is incredibly light on content out of the box, considering the grind you're expected to engage with in order to progress.

I agree with this, the enemies are really generic when compared to the variety in ME3. I'd say the kett is my most interesting race to face, though, if only because of the fiends and ascended. The other race's bosses are just 2 mechs and 2 bigger enemies that can get you out of cover.

Top Bottom