• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe Closed Beta Giveaway

Raide

Holy crap this game is fun. The sci-fi Ninja style feels really good, as does the mix of Ninja style music mixed in with, what seems like Aboriginal music. The overall aesthetic feels really good, like Tenchu is space. :D

Only things I don't like are the floaty jumps and the slow clambering. They really need to tighten that up to make it feel and play more fluid. Also the sword stuff could do with a moderate lock-on to focus on targets instead of flailing around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy crap this game is fun. The sci-fi Ninja style feels really good, as does the mix of Ninja style music mixed in with, what seems like Aboriginal music. The overall aesthetic feels really good, like Tenchu is space. :D

Only things I don't like are the floaty jumps and the slow clambering. They really need to tighten that up to make it feel and play more fluid. Also the sword stuff could do with a moderate lock-on to focus on targets instead of flailing around.

The floaty jump actually helps quite a bit, since it allows you to gain limited height and shoot a little before landing. I really hope they don't change the jump, because that'll make it useless.

Mag chassis crafted and ready. Just got the Mag systems blueprint... Just need the helmet blueprint and good to go! And by "go" I mean "do nothing for 3 days while it crafts". D:

Raide

The floaty jump actually helps quite a bit, since it allows you to gain limited height and shoot a little before landing. I really hope they don't change the jump, because that'll make it useless.

I am sort-of ok with the floaty side of it, I just wish it reacted slightly quicker. Tbh, if they just made mantling and movement after jumps a bit quicker, it would not feels a strange to me.

1stStrike

Banned
Totalbiscuit did a WTF Is...Warframe (Beta)

Agreed with him on the most part about not much variety right now. He hasn't tried sliding knee slash, though ;) It's a good move for attacking multiple enemies.

Watched it earlier. Pretty much agree with most of what he said, but based on how active the dev team is on the forums and what they've come up with so far, I have faith that most or all of the current issues will be fixed. If there was like 10+ maps to go along with the random level generation that currently exists I would be completely hooked.

Finally...

L7wcW.jpg

See y'all in 4 days, lol.

Wanny

Where the hell does this game come from?! It feels like a dedicated version of ME3 MP which I enjoyed quite a lot but even more awesome. I truly see the potential here. Awesome!

dosh

Totalbiscuit did a WTF Is...Warframe (Beta)

Agreed with him on the most part about not much variety right now. He hasn't tried sliding knee slash, though ;) It's a good move for attacking multiple enemies.

He's very right about the variety. And the combat will probably be fun in the end, but right now it feels a bit weak and boring. I'd really like for the weapons to hit harder for instance, there's no real sense of impact.

Also, sliding knee slash? HOW?!

1stStrike

Banned
He's very right about the variety. And the combat will probably be fun in the end, but right now it feels a bit weak and boring. I'd really like for the weapons to hit harder for instance, there's no real sense of impact.

Also, sliding knee slash? HOW?!

Sprint, hit crouch to slide and then hit your melee key.

Wanny

So far the market/upgrades are too much on the pay-2-win side. I hope they will balance things better than that. Paying should make things faster but I hate when contents is totally cut off from the in-game "grinded" money. Also, they should let you buy platinums with in-game money no?

or just let me pay for the game once and unlock everything...

I'm a bit turned off by this f2p model :( It's more like "pay-2-unlockcontent"

1stStrike

Banned
Been spamming Venus missions trying to get Alloy Plates to craft that HEK shotgun. Seems like when you want something it won't drop.

I'm not even close to rank 5, so I'm not really worried about it. I'm just a sliver away from rank 3, but it's probably been going a lot slower because I've been playing mostly lower level missions since I'm leveling all of the frames I have unlocked (and thus getting less xp).

I've played Excalibur Prime, Mag, Ash, Rhino and Ember all to rank 10+ at this point and I think my current favorites are Ash and Ember with Rhino being a close 3rd. Ember is similar to Ash in that she has a high damage ability that only takes 25 power to use, but also has a ton of really flashy AOE stuff.

I love Rhino's toughness, but his abilities just aren't quite as good.

Mag is so-so. She doesn't have too many situations where I really need (or want) to use the pull ability.

Also, it may just be me or the angle, but it seems like the female frames (especially Ember) have some huge asses for chicks. While I can appreciate some curves, these feel a bit out of proportion.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Hey guys, add me: SuperDeanio

Also, if you have a good video card, turn on APEX mode in your options.. it enables PhysX stuff and makes it prettier :D

New patch is out. For only 11mb, there is quite a few changes!

Update 5.3 - "Blazing Embers"

As work continues on the new location set, we are bringing you another fun-filled update! This update features a rework of Ember's appearance and abilities and an option to upgrade weapon trees with a crafted item. We have also crammed in fixes and balance changes based on the fabulous and passionate feedback of our players!

Additions:
Ember powers reworked:
Overheat moved to second ability, acts as a shield and radial damage power.
Fireball is now properly attached to the target and doing damage over time.
World on Fire has been boosted: it now cycles through nearby targets to immolate!
Warframe Blueprints for Excalibur, Volt and Loki.
Weapon Blueprints for Afuris and Bolto.
More mid-mission surprise chang- ups.
More localization updates from our amazing volunteers!
Pro system dropped, new Super-Charge requires an item to be installed.
Items can be purchased with Platinum (same cost as before) or built in the Foundry.
Users with Pro items will have this automatically installed for them.
More Blueprint rewards added to Alerts including Orokin Reactors and Catalysts used to Super-Charge Warframes and weapons.

Changes:
Ember model has had a revamp on its mesh and materials.
Balancing changed for Energy Siphon cards, Mods with shield, energy, and health bonuses will be additive for more sane stacking.
Small improvements to stat displays for upgrades and projectile-based weapons.
Settings improvements for mouse sensitivity, brightness, contrast and UPnP.
Alerts only require node unlock vs. region. Faster UI response to new Alerts.
Improvements to selling UI to reduce accidental selling of important items.
Balance changes to Mod resale and rarity.
Infested Disruptor color effects toned down.
Balance changes to Boss scaling with four players.
Reduced frequency of mission key wrinkle.
Players are now prompted before removing a friend.

Fixes:
Fixed Matchmaking problems related to overzealous filtering.
Expanded Matchmaking search to include nearby regions if no games found.
Fixed duplicate Artifact cards taking up space on interface.
Fixed pass-key loss when a player leaves the session while holding it.
VOIP fixes for Contacts list.
Fixed hangs related to slow UPnP updates.
Fixed join session from Contacts.
Several crashes in DirectX11, Physics, Networking, Input and Updating code.
Fixed a few cases of players exiting the level and falling into space.
Fixed Datamass loss after extended period of time.
Mod effects show up properly on Dual Skanas and Furax.
Fixed loss of Mastery when selling an item.
Equipped consumables are no longer deleted when spending a revive.
Fixed Bolto and powers inflating player weapon accuracy.
Fixed controller vibration not toggling off.
[Link]

1stStrike

Banned
I'm glad they fixed shields. While I wasn't anywhere near being OP on any of my frames, it was getting there fast.

Also, glad to see the removal of the "pro" system. While I didn't personally have an issue with it, I know it was the subject of much controversy.

One thing that was mentioned and confirmed by a dev is that some missions now (somewhere in Earth for example) you'll have two factions on the same map and they'll actually fight with each other. So, Grineer and Infected, for example. Looking forward to seeing how that goes later tonight!

Not looking forward to findingout what the mats are for the Orokin Reactors blueprints take. Probably 5000 alloy plates, which never want to drop for me.

Also, it appears they broke the chatting system :p

Spierek

Been playing this since yesterday, I'm really digging this "sci-fi ninja Mass Effect" mashup. Seems a bit rough around the edges, but that's what a closed beta is for.

Is there, like, a spreadsheet of GAF Warframe players? While playing alone is alright, having a crew to slice enemies with would be even cooler. If anyone wants to, you can add me ("Spierek"), though I'm still Rank 0 and I've got three missions left on Mercury.

B00TE

Got another friend hooked on this.

Should really be playing it more myself, still saving up for new frames.

Raide

I wonder if they are planing some more diverse levels. I am hoping I have something other than grey corridors and spaceships to run around. Anyone drops some shots of later levels?

Yeah, they're working on new tile set locations now. I think the next one is going to be some type of base on an asteroid :D

Added ya, Spierek!

Spierek

Yeah, they're working on new tile set locations now. I think the next one is going to be some type of base on an asteroid :D

Added ya, Spierek!

Thanks. Good to know there'll be some level variation; I unlocked the other two planets and couldn't shake off the feeling that no matter which mission you choose, the levels look exactly the same.

1stStrike

Banned
Thanks. Good to know there'll be some level variation; I unlocked the other two planets and couldn't shake off the feeling that no matter which mission you choose, the levels look exactly the same.

That's pretty much their #1 priority right now - getting new levels available for people to play on. Do people really think that the current schema is all that they're going to be offering? With the system they have in place there's a ton of room for diversity thanks to random level generation tech in this engine.

Also, DESteve mentioned yesterday that he's bumped cleaning up the GUI a bit to the top of the list so that you don't have to back out of 4 menus to get back to the planet screen after you've been doing stuff (i.e. menus staying open in the background instead of closing when you open a new one or all closing when you hit escape).

Raide

Added ya, Spierek!

That sounds cool. Would be nice to see some more open areas with some vegetation and stuff. Hopefully with some higher vantage points.

Overall I like the look and feel of the game. Will be interesting to see some of the other frames and gear as I progress.

Mercury through Jupiter all done!

Really diggin' Mag so far. Pull ability + HEK shotgun were made for each other. I haven't had a chance to try Pull on an incapacitated teammate yet, though I'm pretty sure it'd work.

Shield Polarize is pretty so-so. Doesn't seem to completely wipe out a boss' shield. Can't tell if it does anything on teammates.

Bullet Attractor is kind of double edged. If I cast it on an enemy, and people are shooting him while in the bubble point blank, they hurt/incap themselves. It was suuuuper helpful on the Earth boss guy. It's also fun to cast it on teammates at the extraction room and shoot them a few times. Not mean enough to actually TK LOL.

Crush... Still trying to get it :(
But I'm sure it's super awesome!

derFeef

This game seems pretty neat. One question.
It says the STRUN (shotgun) needs level one, but I am level 0.

I am level 3 in fact... does it mean weapon level?

1stStrike

Banned
This game seems pretty neat. One question.
It says the STRUN (shotgun) needs level one, but I am level 0.

I am level 3 in fact... does it mean weapon level?

Yes. Your character ranks up separately from your frame and weapons. The ranks you earn are through leveling up your frames/weapons, so treat those as two different things. You use the ranks to allow you to access the XP locked gear, such as the Gorgon which requires rank 2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I picked Volt and added a few peeps.

What the hell should I buy next? I want a gun that lasts and I can headshot DPS with nicely. Almost 40k credits atm.
*Went ahead and am crafting a Cronus Longsword since apparently I had the blueprint and mats. 23k now :(

1stStrike

Banned
I picked Volt and added a few peeps.

What the hell should I buy next? I want a gun that lasts and I can headshot DPS with nicely. Almost 40k credits atm.
*Went ahead and am crafting a Cronus Longsword since apparently I had the blueprint and mats. 23k now :(

Get the STRUN. It's a beast of a shotgun. When you hit rank 2 you can get the Gorgon which is a machine gun. I have it at rank 21 and it's ridiculous - mows down entire rooms with a 200 bullet clip lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Get the STRUN. It's a beast of a shotgun. When you hit rank 2 you can get the Gorgon which is a machine gun. I have it at rank 21 and it's ridiculous - mows down entire rooms with a 200 bullet clip lol.
I really want a long range option. Hell, any option that shoots exactly where my crosshair is :(

Check your friends!

1stStrike

Banned
I really want a long range option. Hell, any option that shoots exactly where my crosshair is :(

Check your friends!

Oh, if you want long-range get the Burston then. It's about as accurate as the snipetron, but it's a burst fire rifle.

Accepted your request as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh, if you want long-range get the Burston then. It's about as accurate as the snipetron, but it's a burst fire rifle.

Accepted your request as well.

Yep, Burston is awesome. Love the gun.

demolitio

Check your friends!

Just don't get the sniper rifle. I figured it would suck since it's all corridor shooting right now anyway, but a few people bought it and were disappointed with it since it doesn't do enough damage to mitigate the slow fire. Basically it sucked for bosses too apparently. I think it will only be a good choice when they give us new environments maybe with some more open spaces.

The Burston isn't bad though. I'm saving up for the Gorgon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Burston is about as accurate as BALLS.

This is so annoying to not have a precise weapon. At least the Sicarus has derp amounts of DPS

derFeef

This game needs better combat feedback. Sometimes I am not sure why I died or if my gun is even firing. Not sure what it is, but I miss some hints, or effects, to let me know what's up sometimes.

Burston is about as accurate as BALLS.

This is so annoying to not have a precise weapon. At least the Sicarus has derp amounts of DPS

I've used a Latron rifle. It's pretty much like the Ambassador from TF2. Click for each shot, but you have to wait for the recoil if you want to make another good shot. Can get head shots from across the map though!

Finally got a "?" Alert mission and got a Pangolin sword blueprint :(
I just want to upgrade my warfraaaaaaaaame!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've used a Latron rifle. It's pretty much like the Ambassador from TF2. Click for each shot, but you have to wait for the recoil if you want to make another good shot. Can get head shots from across the map though!

Finally got a "?" Alert mission and got a Pangolin sword blueprint :(
I just want to upgrade my warfraaaaaaaaame!
I'm probably going to use a pistol to snipe (Which one? LEX or something?) and the fish LMG for DEEPS.
Oh well. That's a lot of credits down the tube :(

derFeef

It's a bug that was introduced in patch 5.3. They're looking into it and should have it fixed in the next patch.

Ah, cool. This game could be something very special if they would introduce more unique weapons and powers, everything feels kinda the same (playing Trinity). The same goes for map layouts. It's either space hallways or space hallways with spores - at least for now.

Hoping to see some outdoor/dome on surface levels later.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Where do I get the blueprint for the Orokin reactor/catalyst? Only from random Alerts?

LEX is nice, I like it.

Top Bottom