• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Nintendo Switch Virtual Console News ?

Persona7

Banned
Why is everyone talking about the VC being somehow linked to the online service? We have explicit confirmation from Nintendo that they are two separate things.

NES games will be part of the online service. Nobody can figure out if VC will launch when the online service launches or before.

NES games will be part of the online service. Nobody can figure out if VC will launch when the online service launches or before.

Right, which the link I provided says is unrelated to the virtual console. Many people on the front page are suggesting that the VC can't come until the online service, and I have no idea where that idea came from.

Relax, we'll receive information later this week week. Trust me. My great uncle Nintendo told me so, and he should know, he works at Sega.

RootCause

This was a pretty big letdown. I've hold off on buying vc (3ds/wiiu) games because we have no info on whether the games will be transferred, or if the tittles will be offered outside of the Netflix like service.

chronomac

I'm not surprised they've been tight-lipped about VC in general but has no journalist asked anyone from Nintendo about it? Even if it's a non-answer I'd like to know what they say.

I hope we get something soon...VC was a great feature, and I want to know what the deal is on Switch (and more about the similar thing that's supposed to be their value-added subscription bonus).

Dazzler

Even an update on the barebones UI would have been welcome

The lack ability to store your credit card info is pretty galling

Minsc

Gold Member
Right, which the link I provided says is unrelated to the virtual console. Many people on the front page are suggesting that the VC can't come until the online service, and I have no idea where that idea came from.

I think the idea is Nintendo wouldn't want a large, compelling VC library of classic games from all different eras to take away the spotlight from their rotating selection of a couple of NES games a month monthly/yearly subscription service, which I'm sure they want to sell every one on. Having millions of people paying a recurring subscription fee is a lot more profitable than the VC could ever be.

So people aren't expecting VC to happen for a long, long time. At least I'm not.

Valahart

Don't worry, rest assured you'll eventually have the opportunity to repurchase all of your Virtual Console games for the third time :)

Don't worry, rest assured you'll eventually have the opportunity to repurchase all of your Virtual Console games for the third time :)

An $1-$2 upgrade fee is perfectly fine since they have to make a new emulator for Switch and do work for each title.

Much better than PS2 Classics not giving you any discount on PS2 on PS4 games.

An $1-$2 upgrade fee is perfectly fine since they have to make a new emulator for Switch and do work for each title.

I think this is the real source of the delay, But I really wish they would be more open about the process. I am hoping for an announcement of an upgrade fee, I think that is an OK solution (way better than re-buying them).

Futureman

curious if anyone came across any interview at E3 so far asking about VC?

I guess they would probably just say no comment.

I think the idea is Nintendo wouldn't want a large, compelling VC library of classic games from all different eras to take away the spotlight from their rotating selection of a couple of NES games a month monthly/yearly subscription service, which I'm sure they want to sell every one on. Having millions of people paying a recurring subscription fee is a lot more profitable than the VC could ever be.

So people aren't expecting VC to happen for a long, long time. At least I'm not.

The NES games are seemingly being introduced specifically for their added online functionality. I don't think that conflicts with an actual, separate VC whatsoever. Especially if it's limited to just NES and eventually SNES games, whereas VC will have N64 and likely Gamecube games. I just don't see any correlation there.

curious if anyone came across any interview at E3 so far asking about VC?

I guess they would probably just say no comment.

Yeah I'd love for someone to sneak in a VC question. Also a MP4 question.

Minsc

Gold Member
The NES games are seemingly being introduced specifically for their added online functionality. I don't think that conflicts with an actual, separate VC whatsoever. Especially if it's limited to just NES and eventually SNES games, whereas VC will have N64 and likely Gamecube games. I just don't see any correlation there.

I think the contention is they can only do so much at a time. They need to probably put a lot of work in to the NES games, so that doesn't leave much time to focus on regular VC stuff. Also, I'm not sure they'd want to have NES and SNES games on the VC if they are selling them on a subscription plan, so I'm not sure when the VC comes, if it'd ever have any games on systems they want to have in the subscription service.

Plus they have to work on their system software, and more. They still need online save backup, better eShop (preferably without slowdown and better categories), lots of other basic things (chat, web browser, etc). And there's a lot of pressure I think to have a bunch of this in place before the holidays. Not sure where they'd be able to squeeze VC in with all those other more important things, but everything takes time, so I don't think we should be expecting VC stuff soon (holiday 2019? Maybe makes sense to launch it alongside a hardware revision). Besides, they are still supporting the 3DS and Wii U right? So that should also use up their resources as well.

open-uri20150608-27674-1tafjo_7ef154a3.jpeg

Come on Nintendo....it's time for some kind of announcement.

brad-t

Incredibly disappointing we still don't have VC. Simply no excuse not to. One of the main reasons I bought a Switch was for playing Nintendo classic on the go with a decent screen. Looks like it won't be happening until well into next year. Unbelievable.

I'm really looking forward to it too, but buying a console for an unannounced feature and then saying it's "unbelievable" that the unannounced feature hasn't shipped yet is a bit weird.

foltzie1

Given the NES classic and 3DS already use ARM chips, there isn't any issues with most emulation playing nice on ARM itself.

I wonder if the call was just to wait for either the online gimmick or for Switch sales to need a boost.

Meesh

I keep telling myself the reason they're holding back at present is because they want a great VC line up!

But... that's probably bullshit.

I can dream though... a dream of a robust library offering all my favorite consoles with a generous helping of GC games, a points system where you earn enough for a free retro games. Where in game trophies/achievments perhaps grant a discount on future purchases. Where the VC is tied to Miiverse so you have a community of like minded enthusiasts sharing their preferences and accomplishments, game reccomendations. A virtual console utopia...

Yeah, not happening.

The only possible reason I can think of as to why Nintendo hasn't started releasing Virtual Console titles by now is... they don't like money. Why don't you like money, Nintendo?

I could honestly see them pulling an ultra-Nintendo and just not doing VC on Switch in favor of those bootleg NES games with online play/their new "Classic" consoles shit.

Hopefully I'm wrong. This thing should be the ultimate Virtual Console machine, given the nature of it being a handheld and a console. Maybe it'll launch with a left joycon that has an actual dpad.

I keep telling myself the reason they're holding back at present is because they want a great VC line up!

But... that's probably bullshit.

I can dream though... a dream of a robust library offering all my favorite consoles with a generous helping of GC games, a points system where you earn enough for a free retro games. Where in game trophies/achievments perhaps grant a discount on future purchases. Where the VC is tied to Miiverse so you have a community of like minded enthusiasts sharing their preferences and accomplishments, game reccomendations. A virtual console utopia...

Yeah, not happening.

When they do finally launch Switch VC, I bet that it somehow is still worse than what the Wii managed for launch day.

tbm24

I want it but a part of me is dreading it. I have a lot of VC titles across my Wii U and my 3ds. I'm slowly coming to accept that Nintendo isn't going to give them to me on the switch in favor of their service.

kc44135

Why is everyone here so sure we're even getting a Virtual Console at all? Frankly, the Switch is five months out from launch now, and E3 has also come and gone. It probably won't be happening, guys. So, why did they drop this feature with Switch? It could be that they didn't see it as being worth the investment anymore. They probably would have had to build new emulators for Switch, and while I have no idea how well VC titles sold in the past, perhaps they didn't sell enough to make bringing a VC to Switch a profitable endeavor.

There's also their "Classic Consoles", which could very well be their VC replacement. Perhaps they simply intend to come out with a new Classic Console every year and leave those who want to play retro Nintendo games at the mercy of scalpers. For the record, I badly want a Switch VC, and hate the idea of Nintendo simply dropping it, or releasing Classic Consoles instead, but at this point, I think they would have said something if it was coming. Reggie even said "we've never said Virtual Console" when asked about VC at E3.

Why not simply confirm we're getting a VC on Switch instead of being so vague? Sorry guys, but it's obviously not happening at this point, and I've personally given up on it. The most we'll likely get is some "free" NES games when Nintendo's Online Service launches next year, and I think that's about it. :(

J@hranimo

Banned
be extremely disappointing if they say nothing at all over the next few days.

Why, of all the days, would the next few days be the most disappointing?

Don't think about the VC when their online paid service with NES/SNES games, which they've announced and detailed, hasn't been released yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm really looking forward to it too, but buying a console for an unannounced feature and then saying it's "unbelievable" that the unannounced feature hasn't shipped yet is a bit weird.

I mean it's not strickly by the numbers VC, but they have already said we are gonna get old games with some added features like online play.

So it's not totally unannounced per se.

Fukuzatsu

There's also their "Classic Consoles", which could very well be their VC replacement. Perhaps they simply intend to come out with a new Classic Console every year and leave those who want to play retro Nintendo games at the mercy of scalpers. For the record, I badly want a Switch VC, and hate the idea of Nintendo simply dropping it, or releasing Classic Consoles instead, but at this point, I think they would have said something if it was coming. Reggie even said "we've never said Virtual Console" when asked about VC at E3.

Sure will be nice to have a bunch of small emulation machines hooked up to a TV with a finite amount of games a piece rather than just letting people buy the games they want on one ecosystem.

Yeah, I'm resigned to this way of thinking too.

I had BIG hopes for the Switch before it came out, since it was both a Handheld and a Console it would be the perfect time to unify the VC so that you can get practically any classic system's games you want on it (GB,GBC,GBA,DS,NES,SNES,N64). I find playing classic games to be a lot better on handhelds as a personal preference, but being able to play it on TV or a handheld would be perfect.

But then Nintendo's online service AND the NES Classic were announced and all but killed any hope of getting classic Nintendo games on the Switch anytime soon.

kc44135

Sure will be nice to have a bunch of small emulation machines hooked up to a TV with a finite amount of games a piece rather than just letting people buy the games they want on one ecosystem.

Hey, I hate the idea of Classic Consoles replacing as much as you do. I don't want a million mini consoles hooked up under my TV (the appeal of VC for me in the first place was that I could unhook all my consoles, and play old Nintendo games on my shiny new Nintendo hardware), and I also don't like how limited the library of these systems are, or that you can't purchase any additional games should you wish to. Who, for instance, is happy with just DKC1 on the SNES Classic, but no DKC2 and 3? It's total garbage, but it seems to be what Nintendo is going to be doing going forward. They've even referred to the Classic Consoles as "a form of Virtual Console" , so yeah. I hope I'm wrong, and would gladly eat crow, but... the odds of Virtual Console happening on Switch aren't looking good at this point, I don't think...

ASSUMING Virtual Console actually happens on Switch, I don't see a scenario where it launches before the paid online situation launches.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah, ya'll need to recalibrate. Always these "when when when"s. The question should be "if." I am pretty dang sure the VC is dead. NES and SNES Classic is the new paradigm, and the "free NES games" that are part of their online service are all online multiplayer romhacks. They will continue to leverage their back-catalog, but it ain't gonna be via a branded group of downloadable classics in the eshop.

Fukuzatsu

Hey, I hate the idea of Classic Consoles replacing as much as you do. I don't want a million mini consoles hooked up under my TV (the appeal of VC for me in the first place was that I could unhook all my consoles, and play old Nintendo games on my shiny new Nintendo hardware), and I also don't like how limited the library of these systems are, or that you can't purchase any additional games should you wish to. Who, for instance, is happy with just DKC1 on the SNES Classic, but no DKC2 and 3? It's total garbage, but it seems to be what Nintendo is going to be doing going forward. They've even referred to the Classic Consoles as "a form of Virtual Console" , so yeah. I hope I'm wrong, and would gladly eat crow, but... the odds of Virtual Console happening on Switch aren't looking good at this point, I don't think...

No I agree with what you are saying, it's just kinda...lame.

AColdDay

SNES Mini has to come first. Otherwise, you invite the argument of "why are you charging X dollars for a SNES game, when I can buy a SNES mini that has many more games for the same price?"

I'm beginning to believe that Nintendo is going to do some sort of games as a service thing instead of traditional Virtual Console though :(

ChanMan

ASSUMING Virtual Console actually happens on Switch, I don't see a scenario where it launches before the paid online situation launches.

This is what I feel as well, disappointing if true. First Nintendo console since the Wii but I was looking forward to having the VC available at least a few months after launch (thought it would have been announced at E3.) I probably would have waited much longer to buy a Switch if I knew it was going to take this long.

Why, of all the days, would the next few days be the most disappointing?

Don't think about the VC when their online paid service with NES/SNES games, which they've announced and detailed, hasn't been released yet.

Check the date. This is an old thread. I did the same thing.

Maxinas

It's a good thing they are focusing on what really matters, building a new userbase by selling/marketing new games.

brad-t

It's a good thing they are focusing on what really matters, building a new userbase by selling/marketing new games.

Implying that Nintendo's backlog of games "doesn't really matter" is crazy, and it's not like it's impossible to focus on both at the same time. It's probably the most valuable back catalogue of any dev/publisher on earth, both in terms of the IP and the games themselves. It will be foolish if Nintendo fails to capitalize on it.

I want to play new games and I want to play old games. The Switch being a hybrid handheld/console makes it the perfect to serve as essentially the definitive Nintendo platform of past, present and future. I do hope that they will announce something soon.

lucius

SNES mini will sellout regardless if VC Console was released today with some SNES games. If that was really a problem then don't release SNES games right now. For how great SNES mini concept is it's still a wired system it's priced good and as a cool collectors item it's great, but I still prefer VC console releases on Switch for practical reasons. Plus I not going to support some over priced scalper for a Mini. Nintendo has many games and other systems they can tap into, Gamecube is long overdue to get digital releases and N64 has many games. VC wouldn't take any excitement away from Mario Odyssey or upcoming Switch releases it would just made a great system so much better.

kc44135

Implying that Nintendo's backlog of games "doesn't really matter" is crazy, and it's not like it's impossible to focus on both at the same time. It's probably the most valuable back catalogue of any dev/publisher on earth, both in terms of the IP and the games themselves. It will be foolish if Nintendo fails to capitalize on it.

I want to play new games and I want to play old games. The Switch being a hybrid handheld/console makes it the perfect to serve as essentially the definitive Nintendo platform of past, present and future. I do hope that they will announce something soon.

Yeah, agreed. I still really want VC, even if it's not going to happen, most likely. It would've been amazing too, with Switch being portable. Just imagine what portable GameCube games would've been like! Shame that Nintendo would rather push Classic Consoles on us instead. :(

Top Bottom