• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

ZenTzen

Really thought it was gonna be shingo, really happy with rock, him and blue mary would have been my picks, and honestly, great choices in part of SNK on the DLC characters

Village

Mary didn't took well the leak

https://youtu.be/dHLRMo4hnZQ

dead2.gif

Energy Geyser

SLAP

BadWolf

KOF XIV - Gameplay Video [RYUJI YAMAZAKI vs. JOU HIGASHI]

JOU Higashi is the new surprise 5th DLC character! ;-)

Victoly! This is when you know the old SNK is truly back.

- Yama's kick command normal looks good and it looks like he might have an overhead punch command normal as well. These two should be a great help when it comes to quick max. Wonder how well he can chain lights...
- He's gonna be fun against zoners.
- Looks like he probably won't have his knife slashing series move.
- The new finisher animation to his super looks nice and brutal
- His on the ground pose after being hard knocked down is his classic laying on his face with butt sticking up pose.

Geese lacking a command grab is why I don't play him in XIV, it'd be funny if I ended up picking Rock over him if he retains his.

Geese is so fun and strong in XIV, a command grab would have been too much considering all the stuff he can do with his counters and the OTG shenanigans.
I feel like a total boss just running at people with him lol, that animation.

Energy Geyser

SLAP

Mai's nippon ichi is what got me lol.

Pompadour

I really don't understand Shingo fans, it's like wanting Dan in Streetfighter, He's just a less interesting version of Ky but 'wacky'.

In an ideal world of course, we'd be getting Oswald.

I like Dan and I have no interest in Shotos but I think Dan is inherently more interesting because he's a joke character mocking another company. Plus, I think if he made it into V he'd be even more unique because that's the general direction of that game's design. Maybe his V-Skill would be the AoF meter charge.

I kind of like Shingo but XIV reminds of SF4 where they really just want to nail these characters people liked while bringing them over into 3D. So my suspicion is that he'd be pretty much the same.

they never gave Dan shit like a proximity unblockable or a 15-frame or so special overhead you can cancel into that's also a counter or a pseudo vortex or a special cancellable guard break super or just fucking hella damage

BadWolf

Vanessa Combo Footage

As for Shingo, he is only a 'joke' in the sense that he's funny (there is a lot of charm to his character and animations, which are iconic in themselves now), gameplay and move set-wise he is very solid. And the whole critical hit thing they gave him is pretty unique to him.

Besides, wasn't he taken in for training by Saisyu Kusanagi? So it's not unreasonable to expect a fresh design and/or play style for him. Iirc he also got pretty cocky in 2003 and said that he wasn't Kyo's fan anymore but a rival (at which point Kyo beats him up lol).

XIV has plenty of design refreshes (and so does the new KOF World MMO) so SNK isn't shy in that regard.

They could easily give him a track suit or something of the like and he'd be golden.

shingo-entrance2.gif

GrayFoxPL

Mary didn't took well the leak

https://youtu.be/dHLRMo4hnZQ

Perfection. XD

KOF XIV - Gameplay Video [RYUJI YAMAZAKI vs. JOU HIGASHI]

JOU Higashi is the new surprise 5th DLC character! ;-)

A nice look at Yama's new command normal, the new variation on the old uppercut DM, and more.

Wish I was worthy enough to play Yamazaki.

Secretly the "badassest" character. Sorry Geese.

Lol, dat corny Ken.

yella

When you're 100 years too early

That's the CDM.

We still don't know if she shakes her hands after regular DM, the combos in the vid cut off before we can confirm.

She is looking strong. Hit confirms look generous. If that dashing uppercut is safe on block then oh boy.

At about 25 seconds in, when she finishes her beat-em-up super animation, it looks like she is going into the animation of shaking her hands... at least it does after the 50 or so times i watched it lol.

When you're 100 years too early

That's the CDM.

We still don't know if she shakes her hands after regular DM, the combos in the vid cut off before we can confirm.

She is looking strong. Hit confirms look generous. If that dashing uppercut is safe on block then oh boy.

Another thing that's going to be important is the situation regarding her offense after blocked close heavy normal into short command dash. That was -1 at worst even in her 02UM gimped version IIRC.

EDIT: +1 dashing away/-1 towards them, just checked frame data

BadWolf

At about 25 seconds in, when she finishes her beat-em-up super animation, it looks like she is going into the animation of shaking her hands... at least it does after the 50 or so times i watched it lol.

Fingers crossed!

Another thing that's going to be important is the situation regarding her offense after blocked close heavy normal into short command dash. That was -1 at worst even in her 02UM gimped version IIRC.

EDIT: +1 dashing away/-1 towards them, just checked frame data

It would be great if that is the differentiating factor in her and Nelson's command dashes. His are good (nice invincibility and low profiling ability) but the recovery on them hinders their use for pressure unless he super cancels them.

Vanessa I'm hoping will be fancier with her movement between the command dashing, back dashing, bobbing and weaving with her command dodge etc, quick to get in and quick to get out.

Amedo310

Nelson's dash can cancel to his command chain starters. It not noticeable by regular human eye since the cancel windows happens at the end of his dashes.

Beckx

Link to the WC archive?

Any suggestions for archives with good Shun or Meiten play?

Had a fun day just relaxing and playing around with this game more. Not sure what to make of the official team ending, lol. Wiped from existence isn't what it used to be.

BadWolf

Looks like Kyo and Iori figures are incoming from Figma.

lttp. I'm watching the KOFXIV World Championships. OMFG I love KOF, the flow of this game is unique and the players are sick

The tourney was so good, the only bummer was that we didn't get a runback between
Xiaohai and M' in the grand final

Link to the WC archive?

Any suggestions for archives with good Shun or Meiten play?

WC Archive

If you want English commentary then search YT or check out Teamspooky's YT channel.

For Meitenkun look up Lacid. For Shun look up Luis Cha.

Ogura drew a B-Day picture for Iori on Mar. 25th

Is that one of em fancy shmancy Cintiqs? I'm not jelly at all -_-

Seriously though, that's very cool. Loving the fan service from the new SNK.

Wonder if Ogura is the main artist in general now or just for KOF...

She shakes her hands after her super. Everyone can rest easy now.

And all is right in the world.

We got some nice new ones too with her kissing her fist in the CDM start up and blowing 'smoke' off it in the aftermath.

Loona

Wonder if Ogura is the main artist in general now or just for KOF...

IIRC Ogura also handles the Metal Slug Attack illustrations - not every unit gets some, but they've been cranking out new original characters every couple of weeks or so, and I think he's also involved in that new "Kimi wa Hero" mobile game.

BadWolf

You guys seriously need to check out the archive for the Vegas tournament this weekend, holy shit at the Ryo/Shun/Vice player Layec.

The tournament was filled with strong players (Romance, El Rosa, Yoshi etc.) and he made it all the way to grand finals.

Hands down the best Ryo seen yet for XIV (he makes him look so fast) and super sick Shun and Vice play.

Really goes to show how many strong characters there are in the game. Too bad top players are too busy bandwagoning off each on 'top tiers' instead of exploring.

On a side note, Real Bout Fatal Fury: Untold Stories from original developers.

IIRC Ogura also handles the Metal Slug Attack illustrations - not every unit gets some, but they've been cranking out new original characters every couple of weeks or so, and I think he's also involved in that new "Kimi wa Hero" mobile game.

That MS game is getting some real sweet art and sprite animation. You sure it's Ogura drawing for that new Hero game? Doesn't look like his style at all (the art in the trailer).

Thanks BadWolf!

That Luis Cha / Reynald match was fantastic.

Np, Luis Cha was one of the top tier users in XIII so I was really surprised to see this as his main team in XIV. Really good play.

stn

You guys seriously need to check out the archive for the Vegas tournament this weekend, holy shit at the Ryo/Shun/Vice player Layec.

The tournament was filled with strong players (Romance, El Rosa, Yoshi etc.) and he made it all the way to grand finals.
Link? Is it on Youtube yet?

Np, Luis Cha was one of the top tier users in XIII so I was really surprised to see this as his main team in XIV. Really good play.

Even when he switched teams for tournament play he'd still play his original team (Andy/K' and I forget the other one) in FT5 money matches because he was fine with them in longer sets, so he never really dropped those characters. I'm not surprised to see him rock Andy in XIV after seeing what he could do with him in XIII.

Dude bought my friends and me dinner with money he got from repeated MMs against will2pac by dropping just enough games to make him think he could win lmao

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C7-UF6cVYAEesd1.jpg:orig

---

That Layec VS Luis Cha finals was pretty nice. I felt bad everytime Layec used rolls to try and get out of corners, as Cha clearly was more than prepared to punish them each and every time.

That Andy play felt like what people would want from better Hadouken's in SFV. Though the gain of meter from blocking / parrying them was also pretty huge. Andy has such good potential to turn any hit he lands into MORE damage for inexpensive / free, I'm glad I don't have to fight him in other games, haha.

Amedo310

Atlus deleted the whip tweet with the release date and 5.99 price for dlc characters. I'm going with SNK waiting for the Rock trailer to inform everyone that the characters will be released at the same time with the 5.99 prices, each of course.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Atlus deleted the whip tweet with the release date and 5.99 price for dlc characters. I'm going with SNK waiting for the Rock trailer to inform everyone that the characters will be released at the same time with the 5.99 prices, each of course.

They also sent out an Atlus Faithful mail with the 4.99 price on it during Whip's announcement. I'd hope that leads to either a launch release of honoring the $4.99 (Similar to the discount of GGXRD Characters on release), or at least some kind of package deal to sweeten the pot. Best scenario would be that SNK is crazy, and told Atlus "Yes, all 4 characters will be in a 4.99 set!", and they couldn't believe it, and sent out the price as if it was for a single character.

Either way, hope April 5th is still right. Need to unleash dazzling bull-whippery must be sated.

And while we're at it, Battle Archives Vol. 2 is already out on US PSN (this is kinda weird, not Tuesday yet!) - Gameplay Trailer

I'm inclined to believe that all the DLC characters will release at the same time, given that the leak of Rock Howard showed all the characters on the character select screen.

I think each character will be $4.99 a piece, with a four pack costing only $14.99.

BadWolf

Slide confirmed:

Low profile moves are super good in XIV, should be a great tool for her in general and against fireballs.

Even when he switched teams for tournament play he'd still play his original team (Andy/K' and I forget the other one) in FT5 money matches because he was fine with them in longer sets, so he never really dropped those characters. I'm not surprised to see him rock Andy in XIV after seeing what he could do with him in XIII.

Dude bought my friends and I dinner with money he got from repeated MMs against will2pac by dropping just enough games to make him think he could win lmao

lol, sounds like a cool dude.

He did try to switch things up in XIII but in the end his best performances were when EX Iori, Kim etc. were on his team.

In XIV, he and ET probably have the best Andy.

stn

How do I use Joe's TNT punch in this? Is it like CVS2 where you're supposed to constantly cancel into it out of lows?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C8Dcb1HVMAEHfwN.jpg:orig

Good to see her slide back too, always found it funny to see her get that low and dirty to the ground. 'Nessa's good, fighty people, haha.

stn, no idea how to use Bakurtsuken perfectly in this game, sorry! I still try to play him like Hwa in XIII and find failure, so... err... yeah, don't play him like Hwa! (I still Miss DRAGON BACK BREAKKKKKAAAA).

BadWolf

^Soon!

How do I use Joe's TNT punch in this? Is it like CVS2 where you're supposed to constantly cancel into it out of lows?

In XIV his regular TNT punches aren't very useful outside of corner combos, people mostly seem to use them in his corner stun combos. He doesn't need to cancel into them out of lows because his lows cancel into his kick command normals, which is way more useful.

His EX TNT punches are a launcher and are used in his BnB quick max combos. After launching with them you can juggle with pretty much anything (specials, supers etc.).

Vyse24

I'm hoping after the trailer drops, there's news about a PC port. I have many friends who love KoF, but don't own/have no interest in getting a PS4.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK DAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !11!!!1!!1!

Top Bottom