• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

sazzy

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I used Fireproof elixirs for heat resistance on Death Mountain? I was taking damage by just being in the area, but was fine while the Fireproof effect was on.

Fireproof (icon with the little flame) is for Death Mountain; Heatproof (icon with the sun and a down arrow) is for the desert.

well, i guess i'm kinda ... 'done' with the game for now?

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/6h7dJxz.jpg[/IMG]
All 3 medals, all 900 Korok seeds, all non-amiibo armor sets fully upgraded ...
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HqByfVQ.jpg[/IMG]
(100% map completion)
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/xEBFqXJ.jpg[/IMG]

i feel kinda empty now :/ - but i got caught up on like ... 50 episodes of podcasts. (also, i should probably subscribe to less podcasts...)
(disclaimer - for Koroks and Monster hunting i did use a map, ... duh
- to be exact, i first used the official printed game guide, but i missed like ... 19 seeds or so, so i had to do some cleanup by ticking off every single seed i had already collected on that webpage (filtered: "hide completed")

Though my quest log tells me i only found "40/42 hidden shrines" - which is kinda weird.
Also, did ya know, you have to 'find' a certain number of named map locations for a full 100% map completion - it's not just the shrines and Korok seeds.

I enjoyed every second of it. Every step you take in this game just feels great.

Wow, nice! Any news on the DLC?

khaaan

Just grabbed the game and I'm loving it so far. I don't know if it's the most amazing thing since sliced bread but I know I'm having a blast.

I had a question about the area I'm at now. I just got to the Zora area and had a few story points trigger and I was wondering if I should go climb the tower to reveal the rest of the area. It seems at this point in the story
it's always raining which is making it feel a bit difficult to get to the tower. I haven't checked all angles of approach yet but at least from where I'm standing it feels like it would be less hassle to stop the rain (assuming you can do that) and then reveal the rest of the area. Anyone have insight?

Anteo

Just grabbed the game and I'm loving it so far. I don't know if it's the most amazing thing since sliced bread but I know I'm having a blast.

I had a question about the area I'm at now. I just got to the Zora area and had a few story points trigger and I was wondering if I should go climb the tower to reveal the rest of the area. It seems at this point in the story
it's always raining which is making it feel a bit difficult to get to the tower. I haven't checked all angles of approach yet but at least from where I'm standing it feels like it would be less hassle to stop the rain (assuming you can do that) and then reveal the rest of the area. Anyone have insight?

I really cant recall if I got the tower before or after the story mission. But
finishing the story mission will stop the constant rain.

dolce

Banned
This game is a masterpiece.

tenor.gif

This game is a masterpiece.

tenor.gif

I concur, sir. It's not without its flaws, some pretty annoying, but it's still the best/favorite game I have played. No other game has captured me like this in generations.

Edit: I said I was going to Death Mountain to tackle the main quest a few hours ago, well as has been the case almost every time I've played this game, I got distracted by the seemingly endless things to discover and was sidetracked for hours with no end in near sight. No wonder I've played 120 hours so far and still haven't visited 3 of the 4 main cities in the game, nor have I uncovered the whole map yet. <3

The motion controlled shrines where you have to rotate stuff around are the absolute worst. I don't know what they were thinking including this stuff, it's way too difficult to do in handheld mode. I wish they would patch in right stick controls for it or something.

The motion controlled shrines where you have to rotate stuff around are the absolute worst. I don't know what they were thinking including this stuff, it's way too difficult to do in handheld mode. I wish they would patch in right stick controls for it or something.

Detaching the joycons should help.

Smellycat

Code:
Code:
(100% map completion)
Code:

i feel kinda empty now :/ - but i got caught up on like ... 50 episodes of podcasts. (also, i should probably subscribe to less podcasts...)
- to be exact, i first used the official printed game guide, but i missed like ... 19 seeds or so, so i had to do some cleanup by ticking off every single seed i had already collected on that webpage (filtered: "hide completed")

Though my quest log tells me i only found "40/42 hidden shrines" - which is kinda weird.
Also, did ya know, you have to 'find' a certain number of named map locations for a full 100% map completion - it's not just the shrines and Korok seeds.

I enjoyed every second of it. Every step you take in this game just feels great.

You 100%'d the game in 145 hours? WTF? How?

I am at over 215 hours and I am at 50% o_O

I finally hit the first time in the game where I tried to do something, and it didn't work. After hours of every single random idea actually working, I finally found one that didn't.

I hate octoroks, so I was hoping you could cryo under them to pull them from the water and kill them easily. No dice.

KingBroly

Banned

Code:
Code:
(100% map completion)
Code:

Medals...wth?

dolce

Banned
I concur, sir. It's not without its flaws, some pretty annoying, but it's still the best/favorite game I have played. No has captured me like this in generations.

Edit: I said I was going to Death Mountain to tackle the main quest a few hours ago, well as has been the case almost every time I've played this game, I got distracted by the seemingly endless things to discover and was sidetracked for hours with no end in near sight. No wonder I've played 120 hours so far and still haven't visited 3 of the 4 main cities in the game, nor have I uncovered the whole map yet. <3

Agreed. It's easily my favorite game this gen and definitely one of my all time favorites.

Is there a way to tell how long you've played the game? I have it on Wii U, btw.

dolce

Banned
Check your Daily Log from the Wii U main menu.

Ah, nice. I didn't know Wii U had this. I bought it recently for Zelda and other games.

I played Zelda for 61 hours so far. 45 hours in March, and only 16 hours in April, but that's because I took like a 3 week break from gaming in general.

I can confirm that's not the case, at least in the desert. Im with a triple fireprof buff right now and doesnt block the heat.

Edit: Walking around the edges of death mountains right now, maybe there isnt a hot area in death mountain and there is only areas that set you on fire. I remember using my heat proof set there but maybe it wasnt necesary.

Fire proof and heat resist are two different things. Heat resist for the desert. Fire proof for the volcano.

Fire proof and heat resist are two different things. Heat resist for the desert. Fire proof for the volcano.

Kinda dumb if you ask me :p

At least both should be needed in Death Mountain, or have Fireproof work both ways. Can't have fire without heat, so the way the game separates the two is illogical.

Does fireproof effect also prevent your wooden weapons from burning up?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kinda dumb if you ask me :p

At least both should be needed in Death Mountain, or have Fireproof work both ways. Can't have fire without heat, so the way the game separates the two is illogical.

Does fireproof effect also prevent your wooden weapons from burning up?

Nope. It just stops you from burning.

F!ReW!Re

I picked up a Switch with BotW and Mario Kart last Friday.
Opening of the game (plateau) I had already seen on a stream. Still loved soaking in the environment.

Started along the Eastern Route, got my ass handed to me a couple of times, even by the basic enemies (is there anyway to switch enemies once in targetting mode while holding zlp?).
Got the basic functions up on the sheikah sleeve. Then got to the point where I was told:
"Go and find the locations on those pictures."

Kinda wandered around and got my ass handed to me by higher level enemies or groups of lower level ones. Found some combat shrines that were also too difficult.
Almost got to the point where I was like fuck this shit I'm gonna leave this game alone for a bit.

Then last night I teleported to one of the shrines I finished earlier and decided to go North East (had to evade some guardians on the way) and managed to get to a tower that's on top of a hill/mountain with a lot of enemies. Made my way up (took me an hour, fighting the enemies, finding items and taking pics :p) and once up there I found a fish dude standing there telling me to go meet prince Sorin.

Have been going towards the Zora area ever since and I'm loving it!
Got some lightning arrows that I used to fuck up groups of those lizalfos and I'm slowly making my way towards Zora.

I'm totally hooked on this now. The atmosphere and all the little gameplay elements make it just so immersive. It's funny how the world seems "empty" at first glance (especially seeing how freaking huge the map is) but it's the opposite. It's alive and feels natural to most other open world games and the possibilities are endless!

Loving it!

Red

This puzzle with the statues in the desert is probably my favorite so far. I enjoyed getting to and uncovering many of the shrines in the Gerudo region. I have one question:

the shrine that is blocked by a Gerudo woman, does she want a drink I have to figure out how to create, or is it an item I buy once I am inside the city?

Pokemaniac

This puzzle with the statues in the desert is probably my favorite so far. I enjoyed getting to and uncovering many of the shrines in the Gerudo region. I have one question:

the shrine that is blocked by a Gerudo woman, does she want a drink I have to figure out how to create, or is it an item I buy once I am inside the city?

You don't make it. There's an NPC in the town who can.

Well, there is a bar in the city, start there.

ReBirFh

None of those options, once you explore the city you will find your answer.

EhoaVash

LOL I arrived at an area, heard kass's accordian playing decided to go to where he is. I got there I unintinoally already solved his shrine quest without even speaking to him.

Anyway two more shrines left for me, but one of the last one that involves the moon..yeah I can't get the moon to trigger fuuuuck

ReBirFh

LOL I arrived at an area, heard kass's accordian playing decided to go to where he is. I got there I unintinoally already solved his shrine quest without even speaking to him.

Anyway two more shrines left for me, but one of the last one that involves the moon..yeah I can't get the moon to trigger fuuuuck

before you lose all your hair,
just play the game as usual and if you see the signs of a blood moon, load a previous save (5min before you notice the signs is more than enough), teleport to the shrine nearst to the equest a run to it.
it won't trigger if you stay still, you need to modify the world.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Kill some world bosses, like 2 or 3, then get to the shrine before the next full moon. That should trigger it, the game doesn't like too many world bosses being dead at once.

atr0cious

fuck the horse fuck the horse controls fuck Nintendo and fuck the horse obsacle course
Going slow is the answer, make sure your horse has space on the other side to land, only use boost for closing gaps for jumps. On the jump next to the mountain, make sure you're turned in towards the road, the tip of the mountain is stopping the horse, who needs complete clearance or they won't jump.

fuck the horse fuck the horse controls fuck Nintendo and fuck the horse obsacle course

The horse controls are fine. Approach jumps from a distance to line them up properly, if this means veering away from the jump to give yourself room to approach then do it. Don't try to adjust your angle right before you jump, that will cause the horse to balk. Even if you are at a bit of an angle the horse will still jump so long as you aren't trying to do a last second adjustment. Also, don't rush the jump. Gallop if you must to close distance to a gate, but don't try to speed up right before the jump, just canter and you'll be fine.

The one annoying jump is the fence next to the cliff because a tiny piece of the cliff juts out and intrudes on where the horse would land. You need to back off and give yourself enough room to approach this that allows you to angle away from the cliff so you have a clear landing area. I would like to see them patch this one jump, because it is a pain in the butt. Either smooth the cliff or move the fence away from it a foot.

You could try running the course backwards. This will make the course a little bit harder over all but it eliminates the cliff problem spot.

KingBroly

Banned
Those are post-game items you get for killing every instance of one of the boss type enemies.

Man......

I don't want to kill all of the Lionels ;_;

Or the Talus...or the Hinox

Moldugas I've done already

I need to know what that Horse Birdle with the Feather is gotten from

Anson225

Guys I have a hard time locating a Hebra shrine
I'm in the area near the top left shrine and once I move East my sensor keeps beeping.
It seems the sensor is directing me into the mountain
Can someone give me a vague hint where this shrine is?

Man......

Lynels are the most fun to fight. I can handle them relatively easily now.

Hinox are a cakewalk.

Talus can be annoying due to the small target.

I forgot (or haven't seen) what Moldugas are.

Fliesen

Man......

There's no Lynel medal.

It's only about the 3 types of world bosses that have the health bar on top of the screen - Stone Talus (40), Hinox (40), Moldugas (4)

When killing those beasts, you realize how useful Urbosa's fury actually is. those 3 charges are basically an insta-kill of a Hinox / Molduga - even a Stone Talus.

KingBroly

Banned
There's no Lynel medal.

It's only about the 3 types of world bosses that have the health bar on top of the screen - Stone Talus (40), Hinox (40), Moldugas (4)

When killing those beasts, you realize how useful Urbosa's fury actually is. those 3 charges are basically an insta-kill of a Hinox / Molduga - even a Stone Talus.

I just don't want to find them all, honestly. I spent over 175 hours doing everything, and now I find out there's even more stuff to do.

Next people will tell me there's a Special Prize for getting a hole in one on the golf mini-game.

Anson225

Guys I have a hard time locating a Hebra shrine
I'm in the area near the top left shrine and once I move East my sensor keeps beeping.
It seems the sensor is directing me into the mountain
Can someone give me a vague hint where this shrine is?

Quoting for new page, thanks

Quoting for new page, thanks

Not sure if it's the same one you're looking for, but there is one that can only be seen from a high vantage point on the mountain looking back down. It's like "underground" and can be seen from cracks/gaps in the ice.

I had a similar hard time finding a shrine in Faron region I think. Sensor kept beeping and I tried hard to find it but couldn't. Still need to go back there for it.

Anson225

Not sure if it's the same one you're looking for, but there is one that can only be seen from a high vantage point on the mountain looking back down. It's like "underground" and can be seen from cracks/gaps in the ice.

I had a similar hard time finding a shrine in Faron region I think. Sensor kept beeping and I tried hard to find it but couldn't. Still need to go back there for it.

thanks... you are not talking about the one surrounded by ice water right?
I will take a look; my sensor starts beeping once I moved east from the very
top left
shrine on the map

Top Bottom