• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that the Wii U's fal 2013 could be a repeat of the 3DS's fall 2011: 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and a Zelda remake.

Considering how hyped people are going to be for the 720 and PS4, it only makes sense to have 3D Mario and Mario Kart primed and ready for the 2013 holiday season. I expect full gameplay reveals and release dates at Nintendo's E3.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Just a couple of notes:

1. I think both Game & Wario and Pikmin 3 suffered definite 2-3 month delays from the R&D relocation both EAD and SPD are taking into the new unified R&D building.

2. I don't think Super Mario Galaxy U or Smash Bros. U will release this year. I also am doubtful that Mario Kart U will make this year. I am betting Wii Sports U and The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker U make your Q4. I am also highly suggesting Band Brothers will be a dual release for Wiii U and 3DS. Heck, maybe even Tomodachi Collection 2.

3. EAD Tokyo should be developing two other games besides the new Galaxy inspired Mario.

4. I think this almost guarantees Grezzo is developing the hand held Zelda game under either Aonuma's EAD or Shimizu's EAD. No way they have the resources for this to be in-house.

Just a couple of notes:

1. I think both Game & Wario and Pikmin 3 suffered definite 2-3 month delays from the R&D relocation both EAD and SPD are taking into the new unified R&D building.

2. I don't think Super Mario Galaxy U or Smash Bros. U will release this year. I also am doubtful that Mario Kart U will make this year. I am betting Wii Sports U and The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker U make your Q4. I am also highly suggesting Band Brothers will be a dual release for Wiii U and 3DS. Heck, maybe even Tomodachi Collection 2.

3. EAD Tokyo should be developing two other games besides the new Galaxy inspired Mario.

4. I think this almost guarantees Grezzo is developing the hand held Zelda game under either Aonuma's EAD or Shimizu's EAD. No way they have the resources for this to be in-house.

2. Super Mario Galaxy was designed for the Wii's 2nd holiday season. I don't see why 3D Mario U couldn't join it as well. This presupposes Nintendo EAD Tokyo had an ancillary team focus on 3D Land while the core team worked on 3D Mario U. As I mentioned, this holiday season is going to be extremely interesting. It would be worthwhile for Nintendo to try and keep up using their big guns.

3. Correct. It's part of Nintendo's overall strategy to bulk up their Wii U portfolio. HD development has forced Nintendo into creatively appropriating its assets (see SMT x Fire Emblem).

4. All signs (Grezzo developing Ocarina of Time 3D and Four Swords Anniversary Edition) do seem to point to a dedicated 3DS release. But if I remember correctly, Grezzo is a small studio. The bulk of the Zelda 3DS effort will most certainly have to be done by EAD unless Grezzo has been staffed up. I see Grezzo helping out with development like Nintendo's Brownie Brown does with certain titles. Perhaps the upcoming Wind Waker HD remake was outsourced to a development studio outside the EAD / Grezzo ecosystem?

Thraktor

Just a couple of notes:

I think either the 3D Mario or Mario Kart U will release this year, but not both. To have both playable at E3 but not release either this year would be strange. Given the studios involved, I feel like Mario is more likely, but it's a bit of a toss up.

I agree that Smash Bros. won't be out this year. It could even be a Sept/Oct 2014 release.

Good to hear you think that on EAD Tokyo. I haven't really been sure what their development capacity is, but having three games in development sounds very good.

I still think there's an in-house 3DS Zelda game underway. I got the implication that WW HD was being made alongside an external studio, and the full Wii U Zelda is still a long way off, so I think the only question is whether the 3DS Zelda is under Anouma's wing or whether it's been shifted over to Tokyo. Both Shimizu and Koizumi have a history with the Zelda series, and with the success of Galaxy and 3D Land I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't have a problem sending another one of their flagship series down there.

Neo Child

Banned
oh god super mario u from galaxy team is going to be best thing ever, galaxy really showed off the wii hardware so i think itll look insaneee

I think either the 3D Mario or Mario Kart U will release this year, but not both. To have both playable at E3 but not release either this year would be strange. Given the studios involved, I feel like Mario is more likely, but it's a bit of a toss up.

Both Sunshine and Galaxy released way before Double dash and Mario kart Wii, so going by the same thing could happen again, a simultanous launch of both would make little sense to me.

I just can't even imagine Nintendo would try and go up against new console releases with Wii Sports and an HD remake. Nintendo brought in Brownie Brown and Retro to help finish 3D Land and MK7 in time for holiday 11 and I can't imagine at least one of them not making it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I just can't even imagine Nintendo would try and go up against new console releases with Wii Sports and an HD remake. Nintendo brought in Brownie Brown and Retro to help finish 3D Land and MK7 in time for holiday 11 and I can't imagine at least one of them not making it.

Yup.

Dave Long

Banned
Nintendo will ship either Mario Kart or a Mario Galaxy-style U game this year. I'm sure of that. With 3DS, they did not fuck around with Christmas when launch started them slow. Wii U feels like a similar situation. I think they will be ready.

farnham

Banned
NDs are typically every other month, so expect one of March. Doesn't mean it'll be a Wii U related one though.

January had two.. Also this one was focused on nintendo fpublished titles (even if first party) big third party games not being published by nintendo werent even mentioned (rayman, aliens, resident evil revelations, dragon quest x..)

I suspect there is a third party one down the road

farnham

Banned
Nintendo will ship either Mario Kart or a Mario Galaxy-style U game this year. I'm sure of that. With 3DS, they did not fuck around with Christmas when launch started them slow. Wii U feels like a similar situation. I think they will be ready.

100 dollar price drop+ ambassador programm + mario + mario kart + major third party game and they might just be saved in japan. NA and Europe they will probably still struggle (as we see on gaf, the typical dudebro gamer already made up his mind)
Iwata said we can look forward to new collabos.

F-Zero x Sega?

Nagoshi is busy making yakuza (where is my proper monkey ballz)

Dave Long

Banned
100 dollar price drop+ ambassador programm + mario + mario kart + major third party game and they might just be saved in japan. NA and Europe they will probably still struggle (as we see on gaf, the typical dudebro gamer already made up his mind)
It's possible that the dudebros are lost, but that may not matter in the end. It's very possible that this next time around we're looking at a three way split that's pretty even IMO.

That said, Nintendo will likely be able to drop price this summer if they want to.

Kouriozan

Nintendo almost never has games playable at E3 unless they are launching that year. Mario and Mario Kart will launch this year period, they have to bring out the big guns and they know it... Retro's title will probably be this year too.

That may be too much but it can be true, with Sony's/MS's next gen launching you never know how Nintendo will react.

farnham

Banned

Wii sports is their strongest franchise at the moment first one sold 80 million second did 30 million. It will be a much stronger seller than most of the games on the other platforms

farnham

Banned
It's possible that the dudebros are lost, but that may not matter in the end. It's very possible that this next time around we're looking at a three way split that's pretty even IMO.

That said, Nintendo will likely be able to drop price this summer if they want to.

I am highly sceptical of the dudebro is gaming theory so prevelant nowadays.

I think the key lies in wii fit u, wario, mario kart, wii party u a possible wii sports u and also nintendoland, nsmbu. They need to bring in the kids and the casuals. Thats the critical mass for them not a crowd of 15- 35 old males.

I just can't even imagine Nintendo would try and go up against new console releases with Wii Sports and an HD remake.

As for that HD remake, I would not underestimate Nintendo's marketing skills; I feel with WW remake they intend to grow Zelda's audience, in fact it may have a lot more of mainstream potential than we are giving it credit to.

OK, we know Ocarina of time is arguably the better game, and most of Zelda fans have already played both, but most people who are not familiar with Zelda series, the so-called blue ocean - are not aware of it, therefore I think they are going to leverage its toon-shade Miyazaki-style graphics to reach that mass market that back then was embracing PS2 and completely ignoring Gamecube or just the younger people who are too young to have played it back in 2002, in this regard I reckon WW may perform not so bad compared to Skyward sword(that I love by the way).

Crom

Games do not get delayed by nearly a year unless there is some major rework done. In other words, if Nintendo and Platinum Games believed Wonderful 101 was going to be a launch title, or even shortly after launch, as of late 2012, they would only believe that because the game was nearly finished.

So, unless we hear of a major overhaul of Wonderful 101 a 10 month delay is bullshit. It was never going to be done at or around launch time.

There is also a motive involved. Nintendo knows their first year lineup is incredibly sparse, so surely they'd like to stretch what they have out. It's all strategic.

Announce fake release dates - strategic in that it gets people excited to run out and pre-order/buy the system day one.

Announce delays, and sometimes multiple delays - drip out the games you have to fill out the first year.

Wrong.

Crom laughs at this post.

Evenflow

Nintendo almost never has games playable(Iwata said Mario and Mario Kart PLAYABLE) at E3 unless they are launching that year. Mario and Mario Kart will launch this year period, they have to bring out the big guns and they know it... Retro's title will probably be this year too

March: Lego
April: Wario (it just got dated in march for japan people)
May: Wonderful 101
Wii Fit U
June: Pikmin 3 (it's still slaighted for Q2 right?)

August:Wii Party U
September: Zelda WW (they said Fall not Holiday)
Metroid Prime 4(nintendo is gonna wanna have a graphics showcase game that's for the core right before the twins launch, my money is on this, Retro has had years...)
Oct: Mario Kart
Wii Sports U
Nov. Mario Universe

Mar 2014: Bayonetta 2
May 2014: Smash Bros.
Fall 2014: X(prolly way earlier in Japan)
Holiday 2014: Zelda

What is Wii Sports going to do this time to sell people on Wii U? The Wii U doesn't even come with a Wiimote so they are literally going to have to design gamepad only sports.

The Wii U doesn't even come with a Wiimote so they are literally going to have to design gamepad only sports.

I guess their plan is ideally that of just lure Wii sports users to transition towards Wii U; there are some millions Wimote around, that's why they didn't launch a new enhanced Remote model, but as for whether their hazardous plan is going to work, I wouldn't be too much confident

farnham

Banned
What is Wii Sports going to do this time to sell people on Wii U? The Wii U doesn't even come with a Wiimote so they are literally going to have to design gamepad only sports.

Hey i did not think i would buy a second wii sports.

Turns out Resort is one of my most favorite games this gen.

I dont know what they will do but im looking forward to it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii Sports Resort was bundled with a Motion+. They will probably have two SKU for this one.

They could always bundle a remote with it like they did for games like Wii Play.

Good point indeed!

Nintendo almost never has games playable(Iwata said Mario and Mario Kart PLAYABLE) at E3 unless they are launching that year. Mario and Mario Kart will launch this year period, they have to bring out the big guns and they know it... Retro's title will probably be this year too

Wii Fit U

Metroid Prime 4(nintendo is gonna wanna have a graphics showcase game that's for the core right before the twins launch, my money is on this, Retro has had years...)
Wii Sports U
Nov. Mario Universe

I reckon most of this list - aside from Metroid - makes much sense, but both 3D Mario and Mario kart launching one shortly after the other is quite unprecedented on home-consoles, at least since N64, I think Mario kart is launched only once there's a bigger userbase.

Besides, what we're failing to consider here, is that in the next few years there are going to be presumably other unannounced games launching, both first and third parties.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Just a random thought, but in the direct Iwata mentioned having more than one official community for certain games. I was thinking, could they make leaderboard communities on Miiverse?

Schnozberry

Just a random thought, but in the direct Iwata mentioned having more than one official community for certain games. I was thinking, could they make leaderboard communities on Miiverse?

Sounds like they plan on allowing user created communities, so I would think so.

Thraktor

100 dollar price drop+ ambassador programm + mario + mario kart + major third party game and they might just be saved in japan.

I don't think dropping the dollar price will help them much in Japan :p

Seriously, though, I don't see them dropping the price for a while. They've got a lot of room to manoeuvre in their current price points, both with storage increases and pre-installed software. For instance, for the $/€300 model they could bump up to 16GB and include Nintendo Land pre-installed, and for the $/€350 model they could go to 64GB and include NSMBU. It'd increase the value proposition quite a lot without costing Nintendo much (and importantly without causing the kind of hardware losses that Nintendo are trying to avoid).

Games are what's important here, though, and $300 is a fine price point if you've got games people want to play. The next couple of months will be pretty slow, but later this year there should be a solid enough line-up for sales to pick up considerably.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
2. Super Mario Galaxy was designed for the Wii's 2nd holiday season. I don't see why 3D Mario U couldn't join it as well. This presupposes Nintendo EAD Tokyo had an ancillary team focus on 3D Land while the core team worked on 3D Mario U. As I mentioned, this holiday season is going to be extremely interesting. It would be worthwhile for Nintendo to try and keep up using their big guns.

I personally believe the EAD Tokyo team has a few experiments going on. These prototypes might lead to either new franchises or typical legacy franchise re-imagining. A lot of their senior programmers (who programmed SMG1 and SMG2) have been unaccounted for the last 2-3 years. They have been hiring game directors and main planners for a while, there is definitely something else they have planned for Mario.

Managerially, Nintendo cleared R&D for 2 NSMB teams. No way they would also clear R&D for 2 "Galaxy" teams. Their is a point of redundancy.

4. All signs (Grezzo developing Ocarina of Time 3D and Four Swords Anniversary Edition) do seem to point to a dedicated 3DS release. But if I remember correctly, Grezzo is a small studio. The bulk of the Zelda 3DS effort will most certainly have to be done by EAD unless Grezzo has been staffed up. I see Grezzo helping out with development like Nintendo's Brownie Brown does with certain titles. Perhaps the upcoming Wind Waker HD remake was outsourced to a development studio outside the EAD / Grezzo ecosystem?

If Wind Waker was primarily subcontracted, then a 3DS Zelda in-house could exist. I am speculating strongly that it is one or the other. Nintendo has to manage its primary R&D after all.

Iwata said we can look forward to new collabos.

F-Zero x Sega?

I guarantee you if that scenario took place again, the staff would be quite different from previously. Don't be so sure that you would get the same effort just because you see a SEGA logo again. But Iwata was probably referring to franchise crossovers in the collaborations reference.

Wii Fit U

Wii Sports U
Nov. Mario Universe

That's overly optimistic. Metroid Prime 4 I don't think even makese sense honestly. Nintendo would have no problem saying "there is a Metroid game in development" alongside Mario and Mario Kart and Zelda if it was. Especially something as formulaic as a 4th installment like Prime 4 which has resulted in rather niche sales the last 10 years.

Roo

Just a couple of notes:

Thank you!!
I don't understand why people keep saying we'll get Mario Kart and 3D Mario this year.
It just won't happen, not both.
A game like 3D Mario needs lots of hype and promotion and mere 6 months after E3 won't cut it.
And they just released Mario Kart 7 a year ago so even in panic mode, I don't see them releasing it this year. Like I said, April 2014 at the earliest, just like Maro Kart Wii

andthebeatgoeson

Oh wow, one of my Miiverse posts was in the direct. I'm Freeman rooting for the Crimson Tide during the TVii segment of the NOA stream. Cool.
Pic or it didn't happen.
You know when I spent some time away from gaf and didn't have to deal with the incessant Nintendo is doomed crowd or the ridiculous hyperbole crowd I can actually be very happy about all the announcements. I'm there day 1 for Wind Waker(looks gorgeous) and X(just beautiful can't wait to explore this world).

The fanboys and haters can make it difficult to enjoy anything around here sometimes.
The best argument for a community thread. It helped to be segregated. Separate and vastly unequal.
I'm still able to transfer my Wii VC games to my WiiU thru a system transfer right? and play those in Wii mode?

If i want gamepad & miiverse support, I pay a dollar?
Yes, on all points. You can still play them, just not in the best fashion.
Even without the direct's surprises (Yoshi Yarn, Wind Waker HD, and SMT x FE), Nintendo's platform will always have a strong first party lineup, no? I mean Iwata announcing that "We're making a 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda for the Wii U now!" is "well, duh". I just hope Wii U will get support from third party multiplatform releases, just to make sure that it's a healthy platform for customers to invest on.
Me too. I don't want another Batman slipping by me this generation.

Thraktor

I was just looking up NAND prices and I'm actually thinking storage increases are very likely during the summer. To give you an idea of how these drop in price, iSuppli's iPad teardowns are a great guide, as they use the same eMMC chips as Wii U does.

In March 2011, for the iPad 2, 32GB of NAND and 512MB LPDDR cost Apple $65.70. In March 2012, the same cost $41.20, a 37% drop over 12 months. In the March 2012 BOM, we have 16GB of NAND plus 512MB of LPDDR at $24.40, and when it comes to the Nov 2012 iPad Mini, that's down to $15.50, a 36% drop over 8 months.

The March 2012 numbers gave us prices of $16.80 for 16GB, $33.60 for 32GB and $67.20 for 64GB. With prices falling as they are, it's likely that by the summer, Nintendo will be able to bring the basic model up to 16GB for less than $5 a unit, and the premium up to 64GB for under $15 a unit, both of which would be quite easily absorbed by cost reductions from other components.

farnham

Banned
Thank you!!
I don't understand why people keep saying we'll get Mario Kart and 3D Mario this year.
It just won't happen, not both.
A game like 3D Mario needs lots of hype and promotion and mere 6 months after E3 won't cut it.
And they just released Mario Kart 7 a year ago so even in panic mode, I don't see them releasing it this year. Like I said, April 2014 at the earliest, just like Maro Kart Wii

Wait a sec. Releasing a game title will require more than 6 month but for releasing a console 6month is okay?(ps4,720 will probably be shown at e3 and released this winter)

Roo

Wait a sec. Releasing a game title will require more than 6 month but for releasing a console 6month is okay?(ps4,720 will probably be shown at e3 and released this winter)

Yeah, about that.. we'll see
I'm still not that confident

I'm fucking psyched for the upcoming trinity (Smash, Mario, Kart), seeing them in uber graphics (Kart is actually most interesting in this regard as clearly MKWii did NOT focus on it, the jump will be huge if they attempt a graphical focus).

All three at E3, they only need Diddy Kong Racing U and it will officially be the best E3 since 2006 by far, or even better, but 2006 was also massive, since we got Brawl, Galaxy, Prime 3, EXCITE, etc. And DS had DKRDS, Yoshi's Island DS (before we knew of both games being disappointments).

Super excited! Do we know when E3 is? June?

guek

Banned
Other M 2, without FPS mechanic, works for me

The FPS mechanic would actually work a million times better on Wii U since you wouldn't have to fumble with the wiimote and just use the gamepad (which is flawless in that type of application)

That's overly optimistic. Metroid Prime 4 I don't think even makese sense honestly. Nintendo would have no problem saying "there is a Metroid game in development" alongside Mario and Mario Kart and Zelda if it was. Especially something as formulaic as a 4th installment like Prime 4 which has resulted in rather niche sales the last 10 years.
I think Retro's definitely doing a Wii U fps, but I doubt it's Metroid Prime 4. It could be set in the same universe, but it'd be more like "Prime Reach", no Samus, no Metroids, emphasis on online multiplayer and a more straightforward fps experience. Basically Nintendo's answer to Halo/COD.

I honestly could not give a shit about how far off these games might be. Nintendo did the right thing showing what they had and making "promises". My outlook on the system was pretty negative prior to this event, but after it the line-up looks acceptable. Starting in March Nintendo could evenly space out their releases so that rolling into the holiday there is a good mix of core friendly and casual titles to get numbers up (not high enough to best Next Box or PS4 sales, but admirable against them possibly without the system's heaviest hitters).

Sales will likely depend on how well Nintendo can get their shit together and get people trying out the system (Where the hell are the mall kiosks that sold millions on the concept of the Wii?) I refuse to buy into the belief that the entire casual market just isn't interested in gaming-focused products anymore. That's just bullshit to me. I'd say maybe 30% of that market has moved on, but the other 60% is just waiting for a reasonably priced console and experiences to get them back into it. Most of the people who bought an Xbox and Kinect primarily use the system as a Netflix and Dance Central box. They are already familiar with the Nintendo experiences that used to consist of the their "core" gaming experiences in the past. If Nintendo can just get their heads out their asses with their advertisements (give me a break with the damn dubstep commercial) and communicate that this is a brand new system with new games the system will go the way the 3DS is going (respectable sales, but of course in the end not reaching the numbers of the formers system).

It still amazes me that Nintendo specifically said they'd shy away from the same problems that plagued the 3DS, but in the end did ALMOST THE EXACT SAME THING.

VegaNine

isGvoh3QF4cpt.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brilliant.

Most of Nintendo's delays you can usually tell are coming, just by how they talk up (or don't, rather) the game as the release timeframe approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom