• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games: The Final PS I Love You XOXO

The irony of this really stood out to me when it all went down. I feel for Greg because of his professional network and where he lives, it undoubtedly must have seemed insurmountable for him to defend Colin. But at the end of the day, he abandoned a friend and roommate of 10+ years in the face of entirely manufactured outrage.

It was also bad business - the world is larger than San Francisco and online virtue signaling gamers. They've been hemorrhaging Patreon supporters and YouTube subscribers since it happened and it doesn't seem like they've even bottomed out yet:

https://graphtreon.com/creator/kindafunnygames

I still have some hope that they'll hash it out one day. They have such a rare and special dynamic that you don't find often in entertainment. The selling proposition of KFG was always Colin & Greg, I just don't see the viability of it without that.

Manufactured outrage? Colin intentionally said a shitty thing he knew would rub people the wrong way on the worst possible day to say that shitty thing. He then doubled down on it when called out by fans and peers (including former coworkers who visit KF). You don't do that and get to act like you were handed a raw deal.

Best friend or not, don't start a bar fight and then look to me to jump in the middle of something you started unprovoked. All he had to do was apologize and he couldn't even do that. Instead, he framed that moment and now makes some of his living off of it.

What did you expect Greg to do exactly?

@MUWANdo

Banned
"Manufactured outrage"

Lol

I do think there's some truth to that statement but not in the way it was meant--Colin knew exactly what would happen when he posted that tweet and used it as an excuse to galvanize an audience around himself and exit KFG without ever having to own up to his decision or take responsibility for anything he did or said, and that same attitude extends to the way he's talked about KF since he left, his prevarication whenever his shitbag fans harass people and so many other things. Gutless.

kaiiri

Been watching these guys since early Beyond days and definitely gonna miss PS I Love You and look forward to what Greg has in store next.

Like everyone else has said they need to hire someone more "grounded" and who is could bring a more informed view of things vs a more superficial. I actually really liked Andrea (pretty sure that's her name) who's been on the Gamecast quite a few times and was secretly hoping they would hire her since at that point she was worked at places on contract. But all that was dashed as her and her friends have just started their own podcast. Will be checking out that as well.

I can still remember and episode of Gamescast with her and Colin going at it about mobile games and Andrea being one of the only guests I can remember ever who didn't really back down against his "I'm right you're wrong" attitude.

Pez

I'm more like sad by this, man things really fell apart. These two used to be my favorite podcast with Beyond.

I haven't really watched Kinda Funny in a while though, I just didn't have time to anymore and lost interest.

And this Conversation with Colin episode is appropriate.

Christ, this is some sad shit. I can't believe CM basically killed KF or any momentum they had.

And then he agrees with this random pundit about being the victim? Holy hell. I'll admit he has interesting opinions on American history due to how well read he is, but man...he basically threw his friend of ten years under a bus.

Poor Greg. Fuck.

The irony of this really stood out to me when it all went down. I feel for Greg because of his professional network and where he lives, it undoubtedly must have seemed insurmountable for him to defend Colin. But at the end of the day, he abandoned a friend and roommate of 10+ years in the face of entirely manufactured outrage.

It was also bad business - the world is larger than San Francisco and online virtue signaling gamers. They've been hemorrhaging Patreon supporters and YouTube subscribers since it happened and it doesn't seem like they've even bottomed out yet:

I still have some hope that they'll hash it out one day. They have such a rare and special dynamic that you don't find often in entertainment. The selling proposition of KFG was always Colin & Greg, I just don't see the viability of it without that.

He didn't abandon anyone. No one did. Greg and the rest disagreed with Colin, and Colin decided to take his ball and go home.

I can still remember and episode of Gamescast with her and Colin going at it about mobile games and Andrea being one of the only guests I can remember ever who didn't really back down against his "I'm right you're wrong" attitude.

Do you remember what episode that was? I just tried to find it, but turned up nothing

He still does that.

Some old IGN co-worker of his tweeted some little joke to him recently (i forget what it was, something teasing him and not that serious) and Colin responded with something like "At least it didn't take me 5 years to get a job after I was laid-off like you did."

He also has a weird war going with Bob Mackey. Whenever Mackey calls him on anything, Colin responds by attacking his career.

Mackey points out Moriarty tries to "both sides" conversations about white supremacists and Moriarty responds that Mackey is angry because his Linkedin profile is sad.

He's such a weird, angry teenager.

Maximo

Manufactured outrage? Colin intentionally said a shitty thing he knew would rub people the wrong way on the worst possible day to say that shitty thing. He then doubled down on it when called out by fans and peers (including former coworkers who visit KF). You don't do that and get to act like you were handed a raw deal.

Best friend or not, don't start a bar fight and then look to me to jump in the middle of something you started unprovoked. All he had to do was apologize and he couldn't even do that. Instead, he framed that moment and now makes some of his living off of it.

What did you expect Greg to do exactly?

Its amazing how context seems to fly out the window with some people Colin even used the shitty defense of *We say heinous shit on the Podcast all the time but were not getting attacked over it like I was over the tweet* Fuck Colin its almost like what you say on a Podcast funded by your audience those that listen to the full 2-4 hours each week would understand when your joking within your group of all male colleagues, is different to a shitty punch down joke on International Women's Day using their hashtag.

Its not a surprise Colins friends thought it was shitty Greg is constantly meeting developers/people in the industry going to the companies making connections trying to build positive relationships, those same companies like Naughty Dog/Insomniac/ect are posting images of themselves with female coworkers saying they support women and want more women in the industry but Colin couldn't muster up for one day to say something nice this had to be the day to say that joke, don't go on the streets with a megaphone and say all women deserve to be in the kitchen then be surprised why people think your a fuckwit and don't find it *funny*.

He also has a weird war going with Bob Mackey. Whenever Mackey calls him on anything, Colin responds by attacking his career.

Mackey points out Moriarty tries to "both sides" conversations about white supremacists and Moriarty responds that Mackey is angry because his Linkedin profile is sad.

He's such a weird, angry teenager.

Lol holy shit, really?!

Shaneus

Lol holy shit, really?!
C-3YdAJW0AIFRSj.jpg

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/859581480397295617

So noble.

Karu

Noticed that a lot of the yt comments of that podcast episode were people complaining about Collin viewing the confederacy as traitors. Must be some audience that guy has.
For all the shit he says and believes, I do enjoy that on some issues he goes against what you would imagine his more ugly fanbase believes in. The comments on the confederate and the transgender episode especially are "a delight".

Didn´t watch the final episode. Have heard enough in regards to Rocket League and other than that, meh. Curious what they changes will look like. How they take the survey irks me somewhat in regards to vocal minority. But again, meh, it´s their company - if they are happy with their current progress, so be it. Doubt they will reach big heights based on that, though.

Thorrgal

What do you mean?

I mean he tweeted the joke on purpose to provoke that reaction to have an excuse to leave. Nick even asked him that in the last GoG.

I'm sure Dave Rubin offered him help if he ever wanted to leave KF and Colin acted upon that. After all Rubin did something similar himself.

I'm also sure Erin played a big part on that, too.She wanted Colin out of Greg's house and possibly out of videogames.

Finally how would you feel if you left your job to start something new with someone , and this someone left you hanging after just one year putting your livelihood at risk? I'm sure the rest of the guys must feel betrayed by Colin.

I feel for Greg because of his professional network and where he lives, it undoubtedly must have seemed insurmountable for him to defend Colin. But at the end of the day, he abandoned a friend and roommate of 10+ years in the face of entirely manufactured outrage.

It was also bad business - the world is larger than San Francisco and online virtue signaling gamers.

Have you considered that Greg might not have wanted to defend Colin. Colin leaving was bigger than the tweet. Also worth point out that just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean the outrage is "fake." You can't just marginalize people like that. That is ultimately what lead to Colin departure imo: Colin marginalization of many different groups of people on Twitter over the last few months. Collin also calls his fans best friends and he abandoned them by talking shit about a section of there fan base online.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That was a good way to close the chapter. Excited to see what the new thing is going to be. The new KF has just been more good vibes and less uninformed shit stirring and antagonizing so I'm enjoying it. Also as a recent returnee it's not something I agree with but I totally accept that the criticism of KF becoming somewhat stale to have merit given that I've seen a lot of people saying it that likely have not had any breaks from it. So I hope for them the new thing and any other KF3 announcements will shake stuff up and refresh them.

n051de

Their Patreon's taken a dive, but it's not like they're in dire straits. In terms of popularity/audience it's definitely a sign of people losing interest, but unless they continue to drop drastically, they'll still be making bank.

Yeah you're definitely right. Hopefully whatever they bounce back with fits my interests more.

Why did Colin have to act like such a prick? The show isn't the same without him and it makes me so sad that it's ending :(.

I'd argue the show had gone downhill long before Colin left. Yes it is fully dead because he's gone, but I'd stopped listening to it for months before anything happened with him leaving, because I'd found that the level of interest/depth of discussions on their (mostly Colin's) part was lacking.

I'd argue the show had gone downhill long before Colin left. Yes it is fully dead because he's gone, but I'd stopped listening to it for months before anything happened with him leaving, because I'd found that the level of interest/depth of discussions on their (mostly Colin's) part was lacking.

Yeah, in hindsight it's pretty obvious that Colin checked out a long time ago. I'd stopped listening because I got irritated by his overly negative grumpiness all the time. The classic Greg and Colin dynamic was already gone long before he left. Even if he would have stayed they would have needed to figure out a new dynamic, and him leaving just makes it more obvious that something isn't working.

So he made up a story about Bob being mentally ill in an attempt to appear noble?

Seems like defamation to me.

He also said something to Jack deVries(formely of IGN) that wasn't true. That he couldnt get a job for 5 years after leaving IGN, which also wasn't true.

Bolivar687

Banned
Have you considered that Greg might not have wanted to defend Colin. Colin leaving was bigger than the tweet. Also worth point out that just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean the outrage is "fake." You can't just marginalize people like that. That is ultimately what lead to Colin departure imo: Colin marginalization of many different groups of people on Twitter over the last few months. Collin also calls his fans best friends and he abandoned them by talking shit about a section of there fan base online.

Of course the outrage is fake.

Literally everyone outside of gaming has cringed when they hear about the manufactured "backlash." Who has he marginalized? Every discussion I've seen in KF communities has expressed disappointment in how Greg and the other founders have handled it. The attrition of their funding, subscribers, and views is incontrovertible evidence of that. And now there's posts trying to misconstrue the Mackey situation. You all realize he's been antagonizing Colin for years while ignoring every attempt to try to work things out?

It's so strange. Outside of a few game journalists on Twitter, this is the only place on the internet I've seen anyone still trying to pretend that Colin did something wrong. You can't just keep making things up and hoping people will eventually believe you. They don't.

Literally everyone outside of gaming has cringed when they hear about the manufactured "backlash." Who has he marginalized? Every discussion I've seen in KF communities has expressed disappointment in how Greg and the other founders have handled it. The attrition of their funding is incontrovertible evidence of that. And now there's posts trying to misconstrue the Mackey situation. You all realize he's been antagonizing Colin for years while ignoring every attempt to try to work things out?

It's so strange. Outside of a few game journalists on Twitter, this is the only place on the internet I've seen anyone still trying to pretend that Colin did something wrong. You can't just keep making things up and hoping people will eventually believe you. They don't.

Hey man I think you meant to post this to r/colinwasright but somehow you slipped up and posted to darn NeoGAF.

Literally everyone outside of gaming has cringed when they hear about the manufactured "backlash." Who has he marginalized? Every discussion I've seen in KF communities has expressed disappointment in how Greg and the other founders have handled it. The attrition of their funding, subscribers, and views is incontrovertible evidence of that. And now there's posts trying to misconstrue the Mackey situation. You all realize he's been antagonizing Colin for years while ignoring every attempt to try to work things out?

The "outrage" started out as a few people telling Colin that the joke was in bad taste and they didn't find it funny. Once Colin doubled down and called people "humorless sacks of shit" if they didn't think his comedic genius of a tweet was LOL-worthy, that's what set people off. He was looking for backlash from the beginning. Not sure which KF communities you're looking to, but I've seen equal parts disappointment in Greg and a "good riddance" mentality to Colin. His antics had no place in a community that was founded on trying to be one of the most positive communities on the internet, so it's no surprise that Greg and co. wouldn't defend Colin when he's actively trolling.

Gator86

Ohhhh fake news. Hey, have you and Hannity gotten to the bottom of that DNC staffer cover-up yet?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Go take your fantasy bullshit somewhere else like Colin's patreon. I'll take the echo chamber of good vibes over the toxic mud lacking general decency that his fanbase constantly proves itself to be. From what I've seen people like you are not worth arguing with given you just regurgitate the same bullshit in circles so I'll limit myself to the call out and mocking.

Liamc723

You all realize he's been antagonizing Colin for years while ignoring every attempt to try to work things out?

Maybe you should read back your own post and not make complete bullshit like this up.

Colin was a stain upon Kinda Funny, and the company and content is monumentally better without him. Now he can make his little YouTube videos full of clipart and Wikipedia extracts on his own.

Lothars

It's not pretending, Colin did something wrong and was called out about it. When He tried to defend he made himself look even worst than possible.

The fights he's been getting with other personalities really show how Colin really is and it's not a good sight at all. Defending Colin makes you look really bad to and the only one that look bad are the ones on Colin's side with his delusions.

The "outrage" started out as a few people telling Colin that the joke was in bad taste and they didn't find it funny. Once Colin doubled down and called people "humorless sacks of shit" if they didn't think his comedic genius of a tweet was LOL-worthy, that's what set people off. He was looking for backlash from the beginning. Not sure which KF communities you're looking to, but I've seen equal parts disappointment in Greg and a "good riddance" mentality to Colin. His antics had no place in a community that was founded on trying to be one of the most positive communities on the internet, so it's no surprise that Greg and co. wouldn't defend Colin when he's actively trolling.
Exactly.

timberger

Pity, getting rid of Moriarty was probably the best thing that could have happened to this show, but I guess it took KF too long to cut him loose. His toxic presence on the show probably poisoned PSILY beyond repair, so starting over with a clean slate is the best thing Greg and the rest can do going forward.

Lot of the posts in this thread are proving a useful reminder of what a pathetic manchild Moriarty was and seemingly continues to be today.

Lol entirely manufactured outrage.

Damn GAF's influence is so great that the entirety of the internet was perfectly fine with everything Colin has done but Colin still decided to part ways. We need to put this power towards lots of other more important things.

Haha Colin fucking sucks.
I'm now a fan of Greg for putting up with all his bullshit for so long.

Yeah.

Yeah, in hindsight it's pretty obvious that Colin checked out a long time ago. I'd stopped listening because I got irritated by his overly negative grumpiness all the time. The classic Greg and Colin dynamic was already gone long before he left. Even if he would have stayed they would have needed to figure out a new dynamic, and him leaving just makes it more obvious that something isn't working.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this new show to hopefully inject some new energy.

Checked out and his views were getting worse and throwing in more and more politics, not to mention as has been brought up numerous times his opinionated stances more aggressive at the same time as he reportedly was playing a lot less. Doubling down on all sorts of bad things.

cdf8d0b4e2afa90ca063375e1958dbd942f26243fd7f9fbb1d8ef28b1b7ad50c.jpg

Please explain how Colin's tweet wasn't a gamer virtue signal

Top Bottom