• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Survive. Who is fulton'd already?

luulubuu

80vJgDt3BooHIu-J0oDyTrvOUrUZCXTuBetDQ5jEY6CY9Yn3jtIvfO_ZmKR3LM08EhWK59JU1iC_MDphfKjyAfdwN2IgP3VMSgQldSOV05pUQZBDu8F183W9wXIp4UMkuW_t92JV

Metal Gear Survive is the new spin-off from MGS, this time we play as a lost soldier from Mother Base who gets sucked into a worm hole into a parallel universe full of fog and crystal zombies.

A lot of die hard fans of the main franchise are against this idea of a crafting survival horde mode coop game. Not me, I'm sold since minute one but I want to know how many lost Mother Base soldiers are going to enjoy this game? Are you fulton'd or you need to see more to get you excited? Or are you against this idea?

Edit: In case of confusion, fulton is a system in MGSV where you can extract soldiers and many other elements for your MB, I used it as a play on words to say "Who is excited for this game?" sorry if someone doesn't get the joke

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm simply waiting to see whether the singleplayer is substantial enough to justify a purchase. Is it a full fledged campaign, or some Umbrella Corps-grade nonsense?

Splatoon 2's Salmon Run is giving me an appetite for Horde Modes in general.

If it ever actually comes out, maybe I'll betray art and feed the Konami money machine.

In day one. I had little previous experience before MGSV (Ground Zeroes and then Phantom Pain) and the gameplay was the best part so I'm definitely in for something like this.

luulubuu

First news this is going to have a SP campaign, I was all in for just a good online coop experience, but this could be awesome

--R

Banned
MGSV gameplay was superb and I'm interested in a game that focuses on that. Also, it's co-op, so it's a win-win in my books.

Jawmuncher

Considering this is the closest to Resident Evil X Metal Gear I'll ever get. I've been ready since it announced. I doubt it'll be a bad game especially when it runs on the MGSV engine and has the same gameplay with additions.

At worst it'll just not be some fans cup of tea. Which is fine. Stuff like Acid wasn't either and that's one of my favorites

Marvel

could never
I for one will be buying it day one. I hated V but not how the game felt. So you know co-op with tight controls and fun gunplay sounds good.

I just really wish it were an expansion to MGSV instead of its own game. I don't see much of a reason to look forward to it without Kojima's involvement or even approval. Co-op could be fun, but I'm not much of a multiplayer person to begin with.

sonto340

Does purchasing this game justify what they did to Kojima and the Metal Gear franchise?
That's not how the suits will see it. They'll see it as people not caring about metal gear as a whole and not even make another pachislot.
Konami has no idea what they're doing.

Depends on the release date. There's plenty of games coming out that have my interest and I've been soured on the mgs franchise after v and the kojima/konami fiasco. I'm a fan of single player campaigns over multiplayer so waiting on the quality of the campaign.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm certainly interested for a few reasons. I wish with the sort of spooky sounding set-up, they'd go a little spookier with the game.

I also almost wish instead of crystal zombies and such they just went all in and made this some weird Metal Gear X Silent Hill crossover, I know that'd make more people pissed, but I think it might be an amusing spin-off and turn out fun. And it's not like the SH series doesn't already have joke elements, spin-offs like point'n'click mobile titles, a arcade on-rail shooter, and a vita 4-player dungeon crawler.

luulubuu

I'm certainly interested for a few reasons. I wish with the sort of spooky sounding set-up, they'd go a little spookier with the game.

I also almost wish instead of crystal zombies and such they just went all in and made this some weird Metal Gear X Silent Hill crossover, I know that'd make more people pissed but I think it might be an amusing amd turn out fun.

*Man on Fire appears in front of the soldiers who are escaping Silent Hill*

the soldiers grasp a few words, trying to dialogue with MoF but he just says -

Silent+Hill+2+shot+25.jpg

UrbanRats

I wanted to give this a chance, but after the e3 impressions saying it focuses more on shooting than stealth, i dont think i care anymore.
The shooting in MGSV never felt all that good.

Lijik

mgsV mechanics with co-op sounds like a great way to kill time with friends so im in even if im less than enthused by the whole zombie survival concept

I wanted to give this a chance, but after the e3 impressions saying it focuses more on shooting than stealth, i dont think i care anymore.

That's why the "if it focuses on gameplay" responses are weird to me. If it's focusing just on combat and not stealth, then that's most of MGSVs gameplay gone right there.

Glass Rebel

I think the narrative hook is dumb as hell but I'm not gonna pretend that this is somehow an insult to the franchise when Kojima himself put in garbage like Paz and Quiet. Despite never finishing TPP, the idea of a co-op game using its engine is actually quite exciting. Mechanically speaking it's still one of the best TPS out there. I just wish something more interesting than alternative universe zombies were built around it.

PSOreo

Not interested and not touching this game even if it was free in PS+/GamesforGold or helping Konami in anyway after what happened with Kojima and many other developers etc.

I'd have been more interested if it was just like V, but with co-op like PW had. It looks solid mechanically, but I'm not feeling it personally.

PJFJosh

I played a 4 player co-op match at E3 a few months ago and it was actually a lot more fun than I expected. Not sure how well it'll translate into a full experience though.

Belker

I'm looking forward to this. Co-op with MGSV gameplay and systems? I think it could be really interesting and a unique experience.

I've tried to sell the concept to the group I play Wildlands with, too. I hope the game holds up (and doesn't have microtransactions).

EDIT

I don't have any attachment to the MG world or story, so it doesn't matter to me if the game isn't canon or what it does to the characters.

LAA

Not really sadly.
It may be fun, which is good news to hear, but don't think this is the type of game to inspire confidence in MG's future after Kojima, a generic looking zombie survival game.
I suppose it's "wise" in a way, as it'd be very difficult to find someone who could replace Kojima at the helm of MG and direct it.

The other problem is Konami is low on "gamer respect", rushed MGS V out, cutting Chapter 3 and the 2nd part of the game massively suffering too, which could have been a true masterpiece if they were dedicated enough to it.
That and they've shown they're mainly focused on mobile/pachinko, so I feel they have to "earn us back" really, and as I say, I don't think the first game they work on after Kojima being a zombie survival game really helps.

All I want Konami to OK really is a Metal Gear Rising 2, was one of my favourite games last gen, and I think that's a spin off series they could continue quite easily without Kojima and I think would have raised faith in them being able to continue MG, but probably doubtful as it'd be hard to implement micro transactions in a game like that.

As for main MG titles... I think it would be very difficult, perhaps even unwise to continue it without Kojima, but I think they have to try, or they'll just give up on MG. I suppose all they could do then was continue Metal Gear Rising, which would look weird with a spin off series continuing and the main series not, or what they seem to be currently doing, just drag MG through the mud and make pachinko machines for it and plenty of f2p mobile games probably.

Fisty

I'm going to give it a shot. Fuck Konami and all that, but the engine is sublime and co-op zombie shenanigans could be fun if they handle it right. I'm sure the people who are making this are decent folks and I feel bad tying to the shitty practices of the home office to them.

They have one chance though, if they pull some bullshit with MG Survive, I'm out for good.

KyleCross

Absolutely, gameplay in MGSV was solid whereas every other aspect of it sucked. Sign me the fuck up for another game that focuses on gameplay. Konami shouldn't let the consumer response sway them any, those same people who bemoans the game are going to buy it.

Skronk

Banned
Nah, I'm not a blind fanboy.

I think it will be unsatisfying in almost every way and I've got a feeling it wont be a very good value proposition.

Spaghetti

No.

As much as I enjoy MGSV's gameplay, this feels like a drastically bad use of them and doesn't understand why V was fun to play.

Matty77

Not interested and not touching this game even if it was free in PS+/GamesforGold or helping Konami in anyway after what happened with Kojima and many other developers etc.
This. It's not just the Kojima thing and after the last report about the insurance things and former employees being hounded and their attempts to blackball them at other companies I won't touch anything by Konami.

I am not big on boycotting it's not an official stance or anything but even going back and playing older games makes me feel dirty with the way they treat people.

Nah. It's too gimmicky for my liking. Co-op also doesn't make me wet like it does for so many people so i don't care about that either.

Had it been an expansion for V I would have been all over it.

I feel like anyone talented enough was gased, beaten, starved and flooded out of Konami a while ago. Even if I didn't care about Konami's misuse of employees (even after they left) or blanant disregard for the arts, I would still not get this just because of how uninspiring it is. I mean, they took a weird political fantasy game series with some of the best stealth gameplay and turned it into one of the many co-op zombie survival games you see everywhere. It's so bad it sounds like parody.

If I am wrong and there is something special within the game, I may pick it up pre-owned but I've seen nothing yet to suggest this isn't a cheap cash grab.

Top Bottom