• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodonpachi Resurrection iPhone/iPod touch |OT| Release on 26 Aug

japtor

I saw this a few days ago and forgot to post about it: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1283613&postcount=266
If you beat the 2nd loop (in iPhone mode I guess?) you get Hibachi as a selectable player/ship for iPhone mode:

qrak5z.png
2ibj8lv.png
2u5qaef.png

And from that same guy, explanation of the bees (the two colors and flash states) and the alternate routes:
The bee items are hidden at certain locations in the stages, you can see their locations by shooting your bullets/laser towards them, they will glow when bullets/lasers pass through them. However they can only be revealed when they get hit by the front part of your laser.

Once being revealed, the item will change its color by the following order:
Green-->flashing-->yellow-->flashing-->green-->...(repeat)

In iPhone mode, green bee will move your SM gauge towards M, yellow bee will move the gauge towards S, flashing bee will fill your hit counter instantly by 150 (very important for scoring!)

In arcade mode, green bee will fill your hyper gauge by 1/4, yellow bee will give you very high score points, which are also multipliable based on how many yellow ones you have already acquired. Getting the bee when it's flashing will grant you both merits from green and yellow ones. In arcade mode, when you collect all bees without dying or using any bomb in one stage, the score you earned from the last bee will be doubled (e.g. if you get the last bee when it's green, on the screen you will see "100X2") with a significant larger font, so it's easy to tell whether you missed one or not.

For those people who are struggling to unlock Hibachi, I would recommend practicing collecting all bee items in arcade mode (as I said, it's easy to tell if you collect them all), and switch to iphone mode when you have remembered all the locations. Just remember that you have to play in NORMAL or HARD and collect all 45 bee items to enter the hidden 2nd loop (= fighting Hibachi)

In order to enter the hidden route in stage 1, you only need to meet the following conditions (Arcade mode):

1. destroy 3 silos (if the silos are destroyed by the tanks they don't count)
2. By the time that the third silo is destroyed, the hyper must be completely filled
3. no miss till you destroy the the third silo.

For iphone mode, you only need to meet 1 and 3, you don't have to fill the hyper.

You can also enter the hidden route when you successfully collect all bees with no miss in two consecutive stages. For example, if you failed to enter the hidden route in stage 1, but you've successfully collected all 2X7=14 bees in stage1 and 2, you will enter the hidden route from stage3.

When you successfully enter the hidden route, you WILL STAY in the hidden route unless you furfill BOTH of the following conditions:
1. fail to collect all bees in the stage
2. Die or use bomb(s) before you defeat the mid-boss
If BOTH of the conditions are met in one stage, you will be kicked out of hidden route from next stage. But as long as you can prevent either of them happens you'll be fine.

These pieces of information (except for the iphone mode part which is done by myself) are translated from CAVE Dodonpachi Resurrection Official Guide, so their reliability are guaranteed.

Trying to get the "Clear all modes with all ships" achievement, but even I all-cleared iphone mode with 4 ships and arcade mode with 3 ships X 3 modes=9 combinations (I even beat the 2nd loop with most of the ships), I still can't get the achievement. I hope it's not a bug or that you have to clear the 2nd loop with every ship/combination, that would be insane.

edit-Dodonpachi lite came out a few days ago for those that want to try it out.

Tokubetsu

How the fuck did I miss this thread? *opens itunes right away*

EDIT: It's not gonna be on sale anytime soon right? I shouldn't feel bad about spending the 9 bucks right?

JEKKI

I'm playing arcade mode now, iPhone mode is beginning to feel shallow,

but I don't really understand it...

I kno your combo goes up when u kill enemies or use your laser against enemies that take longer to kill,

but what causes it to start decreasing all of a sudden?? or drop altogether??

also I don't understand power mode, what motivation does the player have in deciding to switch between normal & boost mode?

japtor

JEKKI said:
I'm playing arcade mode now, iPhone mode is beginning to feel shallow,

but I don't really understand it...

I kno your combo goes up when u kill enemies or use your laser against enemies that take longer to kill,

but what causes it to start decreasing all of a sudden?? or drop altogether??

also I don't understand power mode, what motivation does the player have in deciding to switch between normal & boost mode?
The meter on the left is the chain meter, if that goes down your chain goes with it...I don't get the decreasing though, that's new to this game I think. It might have to do with the laser vs shot, like laser kills don't last as long for the chain as shot kills I've heard.

As for Power mode what I've heard is that normal is better for chaining, whereas boost builds up your hyper meter faster. So if you stay in boost you can keep building hypers up pretty quickly, at least early on (hypers last shorter for each one you do within a stage). Of course for each one you do you also rank up a bit too afaik.

Here's an interesting question. Does the game run with less slowdown on the iphone 4 or ipod 4th gen due to the faster processor? If so, does that give the 3gs or ipod 3rd gen users a slowdown scoring advantage?

Gotta love non-standardized gaming systems.

New patch out today. Apparently improves responsiveness of the buttons. From my testing it looks like they slightly enlarged the button hitbox without making the button graphics (the hexagons) themselves bigger. You can now press slightly outside of the hexagon and still register it. It's also slightly more sensitive to pressure. This was probably done for players with dirty screens/sloppy fingers who were complaining.

Nice review but I don't think it's fair to discount arcade mode just because it doesn't have S/M gauge and screen filling lasers. There's different strategy involving switching between laser and shot hypers sort of like ikaruga to cancel out enemy shots or lasers. You just have to give it more tries to appreciate the scoring system.

japtor

mjemirzian said:
New patch out today. Apparently improves responsiveness of the buttons. From my testing it looks like they slightly enlarged the button hitbox without making the button graphics (the hexagons) themselves bigger. You can now press slightly outside of the hexagon and still register it. It's also slightly more sensitive to pressure. This was probably done for players with dirty screens/sloppy fingers who were complaining.
It's fixed the laser but messed up a bunch of things for me unfortunately. I use the Hold option with the laser and that's really buggy now, it either locks your ship in place or causes jumps when you lift your movement finger, it appears to confuse the two when it worked fine before.

The other big thing they changed was the shot off/on action. Before you could turn the shot back on by hitting the laser...but apparently that was a bug that's now fixed (going by my email exchange with them).

Basically it's a massive pain in the ass to play the way I was playing before.
mjemirzian said:
Nice review but I don't think it's fair to discount arcade mode just because it doesn't have S/M gauge and screen filling lasers. There's different strategy involving switching between laser and shot hypers sort of like ikaruga to cancel out enemy shots or lasers. You just have to give it more tries to appreciate the scoring system.
Yeah arcade mode has a whole bunch of it's own intricacies you can't just discount. Each ship mode (Bomb/Power/Strong) is pretty different, and they have different hyper building properties as well, it affects the way you play quite a bit once you learn them. I wouldn't consider the iPhone mode any better (...god knows I prefer arcade mode by far), it's just really different.

LiK

alright, finally installed this onto my ipod touch 4g. i'm getting a weird white screen with a border. game not loading up. wth? fyi, espgaluda 2 works fine.

i already deleted and red/led, reinstalled and i'm still getting the same issue :(

Aaron

LiK said:
alright, finally installed this onto my ipod touch 4g. i'm getting a weird white screen with a border. game not loading up. wth? fyi, espgaluda 2 works fine.

i already deleted and red/led, reinstalled and i'm still getting the same issue :(
Shut off your pod and turn it back on. It's openfient giving you the business.

LiK

Aaron said:
Shut off your pod and turn it back on. It's openfient giving you the business.

ah yea, figured that out just now. i logged off OpenFeint and it worked again. thanks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm totally late to the party but holy fuck what kind of trickery are they using to get this to run on an iPhone?! Looks so damn good and it controls so smooth! Holy fuck. I'm pretty sure my face will melt and explode from playing this game.

Also, it's on sale for $5.99, cheapest yet since launch!

Corto

I'm totally late to the party but holy fuck what kind of trickery are they using to get this to run on an iPhone?! Looks so damn good and it controls so smooth! Holy fuck. I'm pretty sure my face will melt and explode from playing this game.

Also, it's on sale for $5.99, cheapest yet since launch!

I'm with you man! How the fuck does this work so well in such a tiny screen? I drain my battery playing this over and over...

Of all dead ass threads to bump, this one is the most worthy. Amazing game that more people need to play.

I pray that cave will release an "HD" version for iPad 2 like they did with Espgaluda.

Top Bottom