• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoDonPachi Resurrection (Steam) |OT| Release The Bees!

jonjonaug

When Arrange B was mentioned in the STG Weekly stream, everyone said the same thing.

You know something's problematic when half-a-dozen people who know DFK inside and out can't explain it.

There is a guide in the shmups forum - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=34382

*Reads*

Yeah, I still don't get it.

I gave Ketsuipachi a go too but game over'd on stage 2 lol. Kinda wish this mode had a Novice version because I'd probably just play that over and over.

-Gozer-

There was no US 360 release - the European 360 release came with an arrange soundtrack.

The Steam release comes with the standard arcade soundtrack, which is completely different.

Ah, that's right.

I just grabbed my 360 copy off the shelf and it is a EU version. Not sure why I thought Daifukkatsu had a US release. My bad.

I guess I'll grab it before the promotion ends. Hopefully they'll patch the issue with black label arrange.

I'm liking 1.51 at the moment. It feels like "get free stuff" mode.

You get more bombs than you know what to do with. (Actually, it's for scoring.) Each green bee gives you a bomb. Each actual bomb item refills all bombs. Just don't autobomb or you'll lose two bombs at once.

You get the hyper gauge refilling fully every few seconds. But if you use it too much... watch out.

You can get an extend on the first stage, and you always go into the secret route no matter what you do.

You can never manually bomb while you have a hyper, which kind of makes sense. But then, you can't stop the hyper once you start.

If you just want to play with everything the game have to offer, this is where to do it.

Fancolors

How hard is this game compared to other CAVE games? I'm curious about it, but don't want to be invested in something that is clearly out of my league yet.

For reference, I'm able to 1CC Mushihimesama and its sequel on original. I tried DDP DOJ and that game just wrecks me.

How hard is this game compared to other CAVE games? I'm curious about it, but don't want to be invested in something that is clearly out of my league yet.

For reference, I'm able to 1CC Mushihimesama and its sequel on original. I tried DDP DOJ and that game just wrecks me.

Its one of the easier ones to 1CC. Strong Style gets you powerful shots, auto-bomb if you get hit(effectively giving you like 15 lives or some shit), and the Hyper meter cancels bullets and increases your power even further.

MrDoctor

this is baby mode compared to mushihime, or pretty much any other game by cave

Momentary

Banned
What modes are people calling easy? All of them? All the ones I have been playing don't have autobomb or what have you.

Fancolors

Its one of the easier ones to 1CC. Strong Style gets you powerful shots, auto-bomb if you get hit(effectively giving you like 15 lives or some shit), and the Hyper meter cancels bullets and increases your power even further.

this is baby mode compared to mushihime, or pretty much any other game by cave
Price is kinda high, but I wanna support Degica and CAVE. Guess I'll get it this weekend and see how it goes.

Ketsupachi also looks pretty dope, however I'll probably suck at it if Ketsui is anything to go by... (still a really fun game!)

Momentary

Banned
I don't understand man. When I was a kid wanting to buy these shoot'em ups on my Sega Saturn I had to wash like 8-10 cars to be able to import one of these games for $90. That's not even taking into account the cart I had to buy to play imports. And this is coming from a kid that came from the country side of Domincan Republic and grew up in a trailer park and the ghettos in the states.

Now as an adult, $30 bucks is like nothing man. For someone to say that this game is overpriced just blows my mind beyond belief. This is a high end shoot'em up with fantastic art assets, 8 different modes, amazing music, 5 different ships/3 with 3 different shot type with 3 different modes, and fantastic bullet work for separate difficulties.

I guess some people see 2D sprite work and thing bargain bin. I feel bad for the shoot'em up genre man. Don't get me wrong. I understand being poor and not having the opportunity to make money. But I'm sure people who have internet and have the hardware to make complaining posts on forums have the means to make money to buy a decently priced game.

Z..

But I'm sure people who have internet and have the hardware to make complaining posts on forums have the means to make money to buy a decently priced game.

"Decently priced" is VERY relative to where you live.

I remember all the price complaints about The Witness when it launched at $40.

It's like, the smaller the Steam developer, the more people think they can somehow haggle the price down by posting a lot of complaints.

It doesn't help that it's actually certain big publishers that slash prices hard on games shortly after launch. But they have other games to make up the difference; small companies do not.

Momentary

Banned
"Decently priced" is VERY relative to where you live.

This is true. I know in some countries they do have this game at an unfair price. I understand those complaints. But people wanting this to be the equivalent of 5 or 10 USD are a little unrealistic.

Well I'm sure those wanting it for 15 bucks will get their wish around Christmas time possibly.

On another note, DDPR has got me hyped up for the next DARIUSBURST DLC.

jonjonaug

I think it's harder than Futari Original to 1CC but that's just because stage 5 is so hard and introduces so much new stuff whereas Futari's stage 5 is just a really smooth ride. Stages 1 through 4 are all pretty easy on the first loop.

DDPDOJ is one of Cave's hardest games, so don't feel bad. It's really fun, but I've never made it past the first loop.

Momentary

Banned
I wonder if Nick from Degica has an account on here. I think he would get more respectable feed back here than what's going on in the shmups forums right now. Take this excerpt:

Warning... foul language ahead.
Lets be honest here, if you're playing these ports you're nothing but a cuckold, prepping CAVES big Japanese cock before you watch them sodomise your waifu

Nick has inhuman tact and bearing. Hopefully CAVE pulls through with a few more updates to smooth this out for people.

petran79

Banned
I don't understand man. When I was a kid wanting to buy these shoot'em ups on my Sega Saturn I had to wash like 8-10 cars to be able to import one of these games for $90. That's not even taking into account the cart I had to buy to play imports. And this is coming from a kid that came from the country side of Domincan Republic and grew up in a trailer park and the ghettos in the states.

Now as an adult, $30 bucks is like nothing man. For someone to say that this game is overpriced just blows my mind beyond belief. This is a high end shoot'em up with fantastic art assets, 8 different modes, amazing music, 5 different ships/3 with 3 different shot type with 3 different modes, and fantastic bullet work for separate difficulties.

I guess some people see 2D sprite work and thing bargain bin. I feel bad for the shoot'em up genre man. Don't get me wrong. I understand being poor and not having the opportunity to make money. But I'm sure people who have internet and have the hardware to make complaining posts on forums have the means to make money to buy a decently priced game.

even if it had a full CGI intro and ending like Gigawing 2, it would meet same response

depths20XX

As someone who owns the 360 version along with black label it's definitely one of my least favorite Cave games. Certainly not the DDP game I was wanting them to port to Steam. Still fun and the addition of Black Label makes it worth it. Stupid "styles" and the last stage bring this game down for me.

I just realized that collecting bees in Black Label cancels bullets and turns them into large stars.

This is why I don't read about the mechanics. Even when you know it in theory, it doesn't sink in until you figure it out in the heat of battle.

As someone who owns the 360 version along with black label it's definitely one of my least favorite Cave games. Certainly not the DDP game I was wanting them to port to Steam. Still fun and the addition of Black Label makes it worth it. Stupid "styles" and the last stage bring this game down for me.

I can't help but play this one because it was the iOS port that I cut my teeth on. Laser wheels or not, I know these levels by now.

Plus, Mushihimesama still makes me feel like I'm on drugs. Can't help it.

danmaku

I just realized that collecting bees in Black Label cancels bullets and turns them into large stars.

This is why I don't read about the mechanics. Even when you know it in theory, it doesn't sink in until you figure it out in the heat of battle.

Bees cancel bullets only if you get them when they're changing colors (they look shiny while doing it). If you get them when they're golden you only get points, if you get them when they're green you get like 100 points and a slap on the wrist for sucking at DDP :)

What modes are people calling easy? All of them? All the ones I have been playing don't have autobomb or what have you.

1.5 has mandatory autobomb for all styles, Black Label has it too but you can turn it off. The game isn't easy by itself but with autobomb you get so many lives that you can afford a lot of mistakes.

I wonder if Nick from Degica has an account on here. I think he would get more respectable feed back here than what's going on in the shmups forums right now. Take this excerpt:

Nick has inhuman tact and bearing. Hopefully CAVE pulls through with a few more updates to smooth this out for people.

Come on over, Nick. The water's nice here.

Got some more play in last night. Let's just say I have not joined three comma club. :/

Shifty1897

I know next to nothing about shmups and the CAVE shooters. But DGRadio (podcast) used to rant and rave about this game. Isn't it notoriously hard? What's the best way to play, controller or keyboard/mouse?

Tain

I know next to nothing about shmups and the CAVE shooters. But DGRadio (podcast) used to rant and rave about this game. Isn't it notoriously hard? What's the best way to play, controller or keyboard/mouse?

This one (the fourth in the series) isn't notoriously hard. While there are ways to make it tough, if you play and fail at it a good number of times and avoid using continues and you'll be able to clear the "normal" modes let alone the Novice ones. Arcade stick is the best, followed by controller, but you'll find some keyboard lovers out there. No mouse support.

The series has a reputation for being brutal, but for the most part it's as hard as other arcade 2D shooting games. Cave games and other "bullet hell" shooters feature dense clouds of bullets and small hitboxes, but this doesn't mean they're inherently harder than games like Gradius, R-Type, and Raiden. DDP games take some practice to get a basic clear on and they're very difficult to get true last boss 2-loop clears on.

ghibli99

I know it's been probably close to a decade since I used to hang out there, but wow... that just hurts my brain. :(

DDP2 isn't real.

I would not debate whether or not DDP2 exists; it does, and it's better than people think it is at first glance. It's certainly not canon though, since it was a third party licensing the name from Cave rather than Cave making it themselves.

It's more arguable whether this is the third or fourth, because saying it's the fourth means you're including "Donpachi" in the "Dodonpachi" series. *shrug*

How the heck did DDP2 even happen? Did CAVES rent the IP out for Capcom and IGS to use?

Capcom had nothing to do with DDP2. It was purely IGS licensing from Cave and making what was essentially a tech demo for their hardware to convince Cave to start developing for it.

Momentary

Banned
Capcom had nothing to do with DDP2. It was purely IGS licensing from Cave and making what was essentially a tech demo for their hardware to convince Cave to start developing for it.

Capcom helped publish it I thought. I know it's not developing, but they at least had a hand in getting it out of China.

Capcom helped publish it I thought. I know it's not developing, but they at least had a hand in getting it out of China.

Hardcoregaming apparently thinks this is the case, but I can't find a source for the information. (They also think Ikeda programmed the game, which I find highly doubtful.)

Wonko_C

This should be magically posted everytime someone argues about its price on the Internet... Or at least part of the |OT|, LOL.

That being said, I spent what I had on Blue Revolver and am currently scrambling to raise the equivalent to 12 USD (It's super cheap!) it costs in my region before the discount period is over. T_T

jonjonaug

Got my first 1-loop clear of 1.5 Normal down. Since I knew I didn't meet the second loop requirements and I had five or six bombs left in stock I just cheesed the last boss by bombing into it and taking advantage of my invincibility frames to build hyper really quickly.

XNtKY6Z.jpg

danmaku

I would not debate whether or not DDP2 exists; it does, and it's better than people think it is at first glance. It's certainly not canon though, since it was a third party licensing the name from Cave rather than Cave making it themselves.

It's more arguable whether this is the third or fourth, because saying it's the fourth means you're including "Donpachi" in the "Dodonpachi" series. *shrug*

I would include Donpachi and just call it "the Pachi series" :)

I totally consider DonPachi part of the series. It is also a sort of bridge game between Toaplan and what Cave and DDP as a series would become so is crazy interesting historically, even if it didn't have everything tightened down yet.

Similar in some ways to Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2. Although SF is a lot rougher around the edges.

Side note: I considered Free the Bee as the title, but was not sure if my weird japanese noise rock reference would land. Just needed to share.

Glick

Neo Member
I forgot how much I loved scoring with B-Power and C-Power. It feels so good to time-out the 2nd boss on the Ura route and push your hit counter to 8k+ and get both extends by the end of Stage 2 lol.

I still can't keep a huge chain going on Stage 5 though, fuck those laser wheels.

Far from impressive but getting close to that 1B. My chain game is still real weak.

yCkU1EDm.jpg

oh, cool, more than double score next run. NBD.

BIRazDcm.jpg

I had the first loop in the bag and choked on the goddamn laser wheels.

Haven't picked this up yet, but probably will eventually. I just checked the shmups board and it looks like I still have the record for A-Power:

01. HEX - 309,729,974,037 - 2-2 Boss Ura

Thinking back on it, that was a strenuous, but amazing road. Much easier with B and C-power, but the game is so all or nothing that people with less focus probably can't make it that far. The 360 release also had poor slowdown emulation on Stage 5, which resulted in A-Power being mostly nonviable because you wouldn't be able to position the hit box correctly during bullet cancelling, and get clipped by ultra-quick bullets.

Just looking at the mess of modes included in this release, I still stand by claim that the only one worth bothering with is 1.5. Black Label has a great soundtrack and is fun for a clear challenge. Ketsupachi has (unless it's been fixed) broken scoring on the TLB that renders the rest of the game meaningless. Arrange B is just a hot mess, and Arrange A I just didn't enjoy. A programmer friend of mine who did some part-time work at CAVE once mentioned to me that he thought that 1.5's gameplay system itself was rock-solid, however it was the failure to communicate it to the player that made it so obscure. For instance, the fact that your chain multiplier goes up from x1000 to x2000 hits etc., and that this multiplier is only viable when you're not hypering is completely lost on most first-timers. Simple UI work could have made this so much more obvious, but part of the arcade business model is of course to make rules like this somewhat obscure, isn't it?

And you know I have to say, I hate the presentation of the console port of this game hardcore. Daifukkatsu 1.5 was the third-to-last real arcade shooter (Deathsmiles MBL and Crimzon Clover being the other two), and the excitement I experienced playing the game, watching other players figure out the tricks and secret routes through the levels, and the sheer quality of the arcade version is betrayed with this ugly menu UI and the messy preponderance of modes. With Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets, those were really minor/broken games, so the sketchy UI was by all means forgivable (plus their Arrange modes rocked!) however DFK's Arrange modes are mostly bad IMO, and the bare-bones UI are just unforgivable for me personally.

In any regards, putting aside its messy presentation, for me the only mode in this entire release is 1.5. It's the best balanced, it received the most attention, and it's playable up to an extremely high level. I never touch my 360 any more, and there aren't any arcade boards near me, so I'll fire up the Steam version this weekend and give it a try.

Tain

Haven't picked this up yet, but probably will eventually. I just checked the shmups board and it looks like I still have the record for A-Power:

Thinking back on it, that was a strenuous, but amazing road. Much easier with B and C-power, but the game is so all or nothing that people with less focus probably can't make it that far. The 360 release also had poor slowdown emulation on Stage 5, which resulted in A-Power being mostly nonviable because you wouldn't be able to position the hit box correctly during bullet cancelling, and get clipped by ultra-quick bullets.

Just looking at the mess of modes included in this release, I still stand by claim that the only one worth bothering with is 1.5. Black Label has a great soundtrack and is fun for a clear challenge. Ketsupachi has (unless it's been fixed) broken scoring on the TLB that renders the rest of the game meaningless. Arrange B is just a hot mess, and Arrange A I just didn't enjoy. A programmer friend of mine who did some part-time work at CAVE once mentioned to me that he thought that 1.5's gameplay system itself was rock-solid, however it was the failure to communicate it to the player that made it so obscure. For instance, the fact that your chain multiplier goes up from x1000 to x2000 hits etc., and that this multiplier is only viable when you're not hypering is completely lost on most first-timers. Simple UI work could have made this so much more obvious, but part of the arcade business model is of course to make rules like this somewhat obscure, isn't it?

And you know I have to say, I hate the presentation of the console port of this game hardcore. Daifukkatsu 1.5 was the third-to-last real arcade shooter (Deathsmiles MBL and Crimzon Clover being the other two), and the excitement I experienced playing the game, watching other players figure out the tricks and secret routes through the levels, and the sheer quality of the arcade version is betrayed with this ugly menu UI and the messy preponderance of modes. With Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets, those were really minor/broken games, so the sketchy UI was by all means forgivable (plus their Arrange modes rocked!) however DFK's Arrange modes are mostly bad IMO, and the bare-bones UI are just unforgivable for me personally.

In any regards, putting aside its messy presentation, for me the only mode in this entire release is 1.5. It's the best balanced, it received the most attention, and it's playable up to an extremely high level. I never touch my 360 any more, and there aren't any arcade boards near me, so I'll fire up the Steam version this weekend and give it a try.

Nice, let us know what you think of the PC release. I do think that these ports would have been better served with some UI cleanup: more of a spotlight on the main modes instead of a messy pile of cards for a menu. More communication with the scoring would be cool, too, and it surprised me the other day to realize that later Cave games don't have even a basic systems explanation in-game like some of their older ones.

You aren't a fan of other late Cave games? Going by your "last real arcade shooter" part.

Top Bottom