• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodonpachi Resurrection iPhone/iPod touch |OT| Release on 26 Aug

Also noticing a bit of slowdown compared to Espgaluda 2 on my 3GS. Love the game, but I hope they put out an optimization patch to smooth out the rough edges.

danmaku

Aigis said:
some of the slowdown may be intentionally emulated to be like the arcade version

yes, but only if it's smooth. If the game drops frames and becomes jerky, there's clearly something wrong.

Reese-015

it's primarily the controls that are jerky for me, my ship really jumps around a lot while in espgaluda, movement is smooth

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really good game, but so far it's not grabbing me quite as much as Esp 2. Dodopachi:R I think it's at the same time more chaotic and easier - not only the bombs auto activate when you're hit, which gives you some 20 lives, but also it looks like the bullets just don't kill you as much here as in Esp2 despite the crazier and more dense patterns. Maybe the ship's hit box is smaller than in Esp 2, I'm not sure, but it does feel strange to be able to survive this much when the bullet patterns are so crazy. Half the time I'm almost sure I should have died, and yet I keep flying.

I just discovered that the "Strong" mode is an old school Dodonpachi mix of that smooth looking laser and ability to have bombs - faith restored, I love the look of that laser :-D

As for the framerate, yeah there are many framedrops on 3GS in large screen mode, even more than in Esp2. At the base, the game runs at 60FPS, but with all that chaos, frames drop often and sometimes hard. I wish someone would make a video of it running on Iphone 4, or just try to compare it with 3GS.

DCharlie said:
um - but you would associate her with DDP DFK right? if it's the girl / robot i'm thinking of
I figured it was one of the bosses, but trust me, what I saw was ugly :p

Drinky Crow said:
ah, reboot fixed it, stupid openfeint
I had the same problem on the phone when I first ran it. I just closed it, removed it from the multitask bar, and restarted. It worked then, and no problems afterwards. Yeah, that white screen seems to be openfeint screen bug.

Reese-015 said:
it's primarily the controls that are jerky for me, my ship really jumps around a lot while in espgaluda, movement is smooth
yeah i wonder if the game is compensating for the input method, but the ship zips around like it's on crack. Was the arcade version like that?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
_dementia said:
yeah i wonder if the game is compensating for the input method, but the ship zips around like it's on crack. Was the arcade version like that?
Of course not, here you have direct control over the ship, you move as fast as you can move your finger around.

Lord Error said:
Of course not, here you have direct control over the ship, you move as fast as you can move your finger around.
That's a shame. So what is "arcade mode" then? Doesn't that make the game incredibly easy?

CAVE343

_dementia said:
That's a shame. So what is "arcade mode" then? Doesn't that make the game incredibly easy?

I was wondering the same, the game seems pretty easy to me (on normal) and I'm a complete noob with bullet hell games

Minsc

Gold Member
I'll add myself to the list of the curious of difficulty/mode breakdowns as well.

I was under the impression that the iPhone mode was easier and the arcade mode was harder however.

depths20XX said:
I think it's best to consider these iPhone ports as much easier arranged modes of the original arcade games.

Are we sure? From the OP:

and Arcade Mode, a direct port of the arcade
shooter classic.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I like the iPhone mode much more than Espgalua2's. After a while it got fairly repetitive because you were just memorizing which enemies had the high density bullet patterns, in this one it takes a lot of planning and dexterity cause you spend a lot of time getting nice and cozy with bullets.

A couple of questions though:

What makes the little green and yellow items come out? Is there a faster way to switch from Mayhem to Slaughter mode or am I just going to have to rely on those yellow items?

It's funny if you just go through the first stage and blast through everything, your score barely moves. I had something like 7,000 on one run when I was testing something out. After it all clicked though I got 3,000,000 (or something like that). It felt really good.

I haven't really touched Arcade yet, but I already know I need to turn auto hyper cannon or whatever off.

Peff

I've finally got some time to play this and boy is it fun :D I'm not having slowdown on an iPod but the thing burns like crazy, it's almost a bit painful. Still, I hope there's more coming soon, arcade-perfect or not they're some of the best games on iTunes.

japtor

_dementia said:
Well it's the arcade game, only with touch movement, same as it was in ESPII. I don't know if "normal" is the same difficulty as the arcade though. I've heard for ESPII hard mode on the iPhone was the real arcade difficulty, while normal on iPhone was easy mode (don't know if that was in the 360 port or if the original game had selectable difficulty like some of their other games).

edit-movement wise it makes it easy in some ways since you can move as fast as you want and screws up the balance since the ships were designed for different speeds (red one goes fastest, blue one slowest)...but for fine bullet storms and minute movements I'd prefer a stick. Both have advantages and disadvantages, I wouldn't consider one easier than the other purely by control scheme I think.
Minsc said:
I'll add myself to the list of the curious of difficulty/mode breakdowns as well.

I was under the impression that the iPhone mode was easier and the arcade mode was harder however.

Are we sure? From the OP:
iPhone mode appears to change the hyper mechanics to a touch based setup and removes the bomb options. The game difficulty seems the game, just different mechanics on the player end of things.

.la1n

Playing on an iphone4 myself, never played the original so I can't comment on how close it is but I'm having just as much fun with it, if not more than Esp2 but that probably has alot to do with me already owning Esp2 on the 360 for a few months prior to it's purchase on my iphone. I'm really liking this support from Cave, if we can't get the ports from japan atleast give us something to go on.

Was considering picking this up on my iPad, but I'm torn between this and Espgaluda 2. I liked the demo/lite version of Espagaluda, but was too cheao to pay $9. is this as good for $5 or should I still buy Espgaluda first?

Risette

A Good Citizen
danmaku said:
yes, but only if it's smooth. If the game drops frames and becomes jerky, there's clearly something wrong.
DFK on PCB has a lot of unsmooth, chugging slowdown from what I've seen of it though.

Although, I really doubt that they would go out of their way and try to make a phone port that faithful to the arcade version. Maybe they base these ports off of the 360 versions of the games or something.

japtor

EternalGamer said:
Was considering picking this up on my iPad, but I'm torn between this and Espgaluda 2. I liked the demo/lite version of Espagaluda, but was too cheao to pay $9. is this as good for $5 or should I still buy Espgaluda first?
It's as good, perhaps better (or worse) depending on the gameplay you're looking for. They're both bullet hell shooters of course, but DDP is a bit more straightforward I guess (...until you really get deep into the scoring, then both can make your head explode in different ways).

And if the price is a concern get DDP. Espgaluda hasn't had a price drop since the launch sale, DDP probably won't get any cheaper for the foreseeable future.

Some stuff from the Touch Arcade thread I've been following:

!!! If you're one of the guys that's having major performance issues !!!:
it seems i found the solution for the "jumping ship" ... you have to turn off the zoom in settings/accessibilty on your iphone. best is to turn everything under accessibility OFF... it fixed the bug for me, now it's running smoothly!
And tips from some guy that's playing iPhone mode a bunch:
Vally said:
I'm still at work at the moment, but my guide will be up this evening. :)

In regards to the SM bar, i'll explain:

The M (Menace) bar rises as you graze bullets. As you move next to them and get as close to them as possible, your M gauge will rise. As your M gauge rises, you hyper gauge rises, and Score Multiplier rises also.

Once you max out the M gauge, your hyper gauge rises dramatically. Use this time to knock out a hyper cannon, as if you've maxed the M gauge out, your hyper bar will fill up straight away after using the hyper cannon.

The S (Slaughter) bar rises as you destroy enemies. As your S gauge rises, the multiplier that you've stored in Menace mode kicks in, and enemies will start to drop bonus tokens to the value of your multiplier.

Once you max out the S gauge, your weapon power goes up dramatically, and enemies drop more bonus chips.

So the scoring system is as follows:

• Build M gauge by grazing enemies. Build up score multiplier.
  • Build up S gauge by killing enemies as fast as possible to cash in the multiplier.
  • Repeat.

The Hyper Cannon in S mode will spew out absolutely tons of score tokens, so if you can build up your multiplier and reach S mode with a full hyper bar, knock out that hyper cannon and watch the score roll in.
Vally said:
I follow a pattern.

• Graze bullets until 1000x multiplier and maximum chain gauge
  • Stop firing for 1 second. (This makes sure the M gauge is as maxed out as possible without killing enemies knocking it down)
  • Level 3 Hyper Cannon with maxed out M gauge. If done correctly, this should give you *another* maxed out Hyper gauge aswell as a maxed out S gauge.
  • Level 3 Hyper Cannon immediately afterwards with maxed out S gauge.
  • Open fire with maxed out S gauge until multiplier drops to 500x
  • Repeat
He also posted a thread about scoring: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=65302

Llyranor

Alright, just picked this up. Only credit-fed through arcade mode on normal so far, but all good fun. Maybe I'm not used to the touch controls, but - while they're accurate - I feel as though my finger gets stuck on the glass once in a while, and I end up having to switch fingers to move the ship around semi-regularly.

Game itself is pretty fun, though; hoping the 360 version gets localized!

Psy-Phi

danmaku said:
Haven't noticed any jerkiness, when it slows down, ship still behaves as it does at full speed, just slower, bullets are also moving smoohtly. I have smooth slow down and quick returns to full speed when the explosion or emblems finish. On my 3GS as well.

Out of curiosity those of you experiencing jerkiness in the 3GS, what iOS are you on?

EternalGamer said:

bloody hell, mate. get them both! stop being a cheap ass!

Reese-015

japtor said:
!!! If you're one of the guys that's having major performance issues !!!:

Holy shit! Thanks so much! This also seems to very slightly boost framerate in a few other games (but in most it doesn't do anything), like Asphalt 5 and Ozone.

Aaron

cjelly said:
This seems a lot harder than Espgaluda... used about 3 continues on my first run. :lol
Seems easier to me. I only continued on the final boss, though I was playing in arcade mode.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
_dementia said:
It makes it much, much easier than any of the dodon arcade games, yes. I also think this port is a lot more lenient with the hit box size which lets you slide through the impossible bullet storms unscathed a lot of times.

Then again, Dodon arcades are incredibly difficult, it's not like making them more accessible is necessarily a bad thing. Still, I wish I could switch auto bombs off, that just seems like cheating to have that enabled at all times by default. "Strong" mode limits the amount of bombs to 3 so that's better I guess.

When I was playing Esp2 on Iphone, the game was hard enough for me that I had to make a decision to finish each level with one credit. It was very hard for me to do that on the last level for example, and levels 4 and 5 were no slouches either. Here, I think I blasted though first 4 levels on my very first play, without really even trying much. With everything on default, you easily get 6 bombs that auto activate, so that means you have 18 lives essentially. I'm considering permanently switching to hard mode now and playing like that, but the problem is not like the bullet patterns are easy on normal modes, it's that you have auto bombs AND you slide through bullet storms with too much ease to begin with for some reason.

Peff said:
I've finally got some time to play this and boy is it fun :D I'm not having slowdown on an iPod but the thing burns like crazy, it's almost a bit painful.
What Ipod do you have that has no slowdown in this game? Or better said, frame drops?

Mailenstein said:
Damn, it's SO much better on the iPad - incredible!
In what way? The graphics should be exactly the same. 240x320 resolution scaled up approx four times in case of Ipad. Is the performance/framerate better?

Llyranor said:
Alright, just picked this up. Only credit-fed through arcade mode on normal so far, but all good fun. Maybe I'm not used to the touch controls, but - while they're accurate - I feel as though my finger gets stuck on the glass once in a while, and I end up having to switch fingers to move the ship around semi-regularly.
Arrgh! I have that problem as well, with any Iphone game that requires continuous sliding around, like this one, Esp2, Space Invaders Infinity, and many more. It's really such a nuisance, but I guess there's nothing that can be done about it :\

SmokyDave

I'm deeply impressed. I've only had a chance to credit-feed my way through the iPhone mode briefly so far but I'm blown away.

chespace said:
Amazing job by Cave as usual.

They own the shmup scene on iphone.

I remember when 2D shooters like DDP and Guwange blew my mind on Saturn more than a decade ago.

Now they're on my TELEPHONE. WTF.
I keep having these moments lately. Mobile technology is insane nowadays.

Peff

Lord Error said:
What Ipod do you have that has no slowdown in this game? Or better said, frame drops?

iPod Touch 3G, I think. It's not perfectly stable 100% of the time, of course, but it's nowhere near as bad as people were saying for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Btw, I'm also 100% sure that the game doesn't always register button taps for things!

This is a major issue as a lot of times the laser wouldn't activate when I was expecting it to. I just did a test observing where my button is pressing on the screen, and there were times where it was clearly pressing over the laser button area, and yet laser wasn't activating.

What's even worse, there were times when I would press and hold laser button, the laser wouldn't activate (the button also doesn't highlight), and the ship would remain *frozen* in place no matter how much I was trying to move it. I would either have to let go off the inactive laser button, or to lift my ship moving finger up and back to the screen again for the ship to start moving. Really screwy :\

This ship freezing of course only happens if you enable the press&hold mode for laser, but the fact is, even in the switch mode, the laser often times does not activate when I tap the button. There's definitely some press registration problem there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I also have two questions about the gameplay:

- Is it possible to stop the hyper cannon once it's activated, or does it have to run to its depletion?
- The wiki for the game mentions that each level has two paths, and that the second path (which has mid-bosses from the original Dodonpachi) can be reached under certain conditions. What are these conditions?

Stages: There are two paths for each stage, with the second one being accessible under certain conditions; should the appropriate requirements be met, the bosses from the original DoDonPachi will reappear as mid-bosses with upgraded graphics and fiercer attacks.

The End

This game is fucking fantastic. The "iPhone Mode" seems finicky, much like ESPGaluda II, but the "Arcade Mode" is just a balls-out great shooter.

Risette

A Good Citizen
http://caveworlden.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/dodonpachi-resurrection-1-in-japan-wallpaper-present/
You might already know, but we hit #1 on the iTunesStore for top sales on our first day out in Japan!!! #1 baby, my dearest wish has been fulfilled!

I want to thank everyone who has picked the game up, thank you very much.
This is a very gratifying moment for our development staff.

Incidentally, we also hit #1 for sales in Hong Kong and #3 for paid apps, #2 in sales for France and #10 for paid apps, and entered the top 10 for China and America!

I guess this pretty much guarantees another iOS port. Wonder what they'll do next?

Aigis said:
I guess this pretty much guarantees another iOS port. Wonder what they'll do next?
deathsmiles maybe?
i remember hearing it was their most successful game financially (though, I have no idea if that's true)

JEKKI

The End said:
This game is fucking fantastic. The "iPhone Mode" seems finicky, much like ESPGaluda II, but the "Arcade Mode" is just a balls-out great shooter.
I like iphones mode!!

arcade mode is good, but playing it makes me wish I was playing on a stick instead of touch mode. Like Esp2, I dont like how ship speed mechanics get broken for the sake of control.

japtor

Lord Error said:
Then again, Dodon arcades are incredibly difficult, it's not like making them more accessible is necessarily a bad thing. Still, I wish I could switch auto bombs off, that just seems like cheating to have that enabled at all times by default. "Strong" mode limits the amount of bombs to 3 so that's better I guess.

When I was playing Esp2 on Iphone, the game was hard enough for me that I had to make a decision to finish each level with one credit. It was very hard for me to do that on the last level for example, and levels 4 and 5 were no slouches either. Here, I think I blasted though first 4 levels on my very first play, without really even trying much. With everything on default, you easily get 6 bombs that auto activate, so that means you have 18 lives essentially. I'm considering permanently switching to hard mode now and playing like that, but the problem is not like the bullet patterns are easy on normal modes, it's that you have auto bombs AND you slide through bullet storms with too much ease to begin with for some reason.
Looking at the cave-stg guide it seems like the arcade release had auto bombs too which was pretty surprising. I'm not sure it has it to the extent of this version, but I found it surprising it had it at all.

As for difficulty (also in the cave-stg guide) apparently the Strong mode makes it the easiest to clear too so it may just be something from the arcade that's carrying over. Power mode is the one for scoring and difficulty I think. I'm finding it more enjoyable, perhaps cause I don't have the option of bombs at my disposal...but it seems like some auto ones are still there. That said it's still hard enough on normal with it. I did do one play through on hard and got to the final boss, I think on Strong mode though.

It's like Espgaluda for me in a sense, to just plow through the game wasn't that hard, but once I made an effort to go for score (just switching to Power in DDP's case) I haven't 1cc'd yet.
In what way? The graphics should be exactly the same. 240x320 resolution scaled up approx four times in case of Ipad. Is the performance/framerate better?
The relatively vast physical space to move your finger around and see the screen makes a huge difference.
Lord Error said:
I also have two questions about the gameplay:

- Is it possible to stop the hyper cannon once it's activated, or does it have to run to its depletion?
- The wiki for the game mentions that each level has two paths, and that the second path (which has mid-bosses from the original Dodonpachi) can be reached under certain conditions. What are these conditions?
No clue about the cannon but for the path I've only read the 1st level one so far. Some point early in the level there's 3 silos and 3 tanks, you have to do something like blow up the silos before the tanks get to them, and blow up the tanks of course.

I forgot to quote your post about the laser...but yeah I've had the flaky laser button issue too. I submitted it as a report in the App Store ("report a problem" button or something, not in a review), they have a support email so I'll mention it to them there too.
Aigis said:
They already mentioned working on another game for release in a few months on Twitter iirc. I remember there was a Mushi 2 icon graphic on their website for a short time after Espgaluda 2 came out. Might've just been a placeholder graphic for DDP or maybe plans got switched around, we'll find out whenever the next one gets announced.

Aaron said:
Android would have to become popular in Japan first.

Well I know that Android is doing gangbusters in North America and pretty well in Europe. I have no idea about Asia and Japan though. I do know that Japan has always had a crazy hard-on for Apple so I guess Android support from Cave is just a pipe dream at this point.

Too bad, Cave would get a guaranteed sale from me if their games hit the Android Market. My favorite phone games after all these years are still Sky Force and Sky Force Reloaded ever since my days with an old retired Windows Mobile phone. If you haven't played those, check them out.

john tv

Such an awesome, awesome game. Plays great on iPad too.

I'm finding it easier to understand than Espgaluda was. In my first arcade game, the system just clicked (had to watch the tutorial of course), and wound up breaking a billion points on my very first credit (1,146,061,367). What a rush!

EDIT: BTW, I'm "john tv" on OpenFeint. Add me if you're playing!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game is fun although the last stage is just too long.

Also, it fixes one of my biggest problems in EspGaluda II: the ability to exit the game without having to start all over again.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I'm such a bullet hell noob, but I'm doing well on this game. Got about 180 million on iPhone mode - just getting caught up on the later levels, way too many lasers!

Amazing port.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
150 million at 449th place globally currently on iphone mode ship A, which is what I've been trying to beat the game on 1cc. Haven't it done it yet.

Amazing game. I also find that I'm much better at bullet hell with my finger than I am with a joystick or pad. Only problem is my finger dries up and i have a hard time moving without having to switch fingers in the middle of the action. Might be the first game I lube myself before playing!

BTW, mostly playing iphone mode because I love the risk/reward mechanic of the S and M modes. Very very clever and is a great forcing function for the player to want to weave through bullets.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
chespace said:
150 million at 449th place globally currently on iphone mode ship A, which is what I've been trying to beat the game on 1cc. Haven't it done it yet.

Nice, that's about where I am, score wise.

iPhone mode is totally the best - swinging between M and S, unleashing the hyper canon, all that. It's crazily addictive.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
McBacon said:
Nice, that's about where I am, score wise.

iPhone mode is totally the best - swinging between M and S, unleashing the hyper canon, all that. It's crazily addictive.

My problem is that I take way too much risk with the hyper cannon, always waiting until I've maxed out my M gauge and have 1000x multiplier.

I usually get hit by a stray bullet and curse myself for being so greedy. I think if I used the hyper cannon more moderately and farmed at the 5-600x multiplier level, I could probably score more overall.

Such a brilliant system!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
chespace said:
My problem is that I take way too much risk with the hyper cannon, always waiting until I've maxed out my M gauge and have 1000x multiplier.

I usually get hit by a stray bullet and curse myself for being so greedy. I think if I used the hyper cannon more moderately and farmed at the 5-600x multiplier level, I could probably score more overall.

Such a brilliant system!

Haha! I have exactly the same problem, just too greedy :p

Top Bottom