• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodonpachi Resurrection iPhone/iPod touch |OT| Release on 26 Aug

I downloaded the Espgaluda trial to see how well it would work on an Iphone and I was seriously impressed. I'm definitely getting DDP and probably Esp as well.

Risette

A Good Citizen
How can I buy this without downloading it and being able to use it on my iPhone 4? Just buy it from iTunes?

(I know it's not out in the US yet btw)

japtor

Aigis said:
How can I buy this without downloading it and being able to use it on my iPhone 4? Just buy it from iTunes?

(I know it's not out in the US yet btw)
Yeah buy it in iTunes on your computer (when it comes out), then next time you sync it'll transfer it onto your phone.

japtor said:
UK iTunes link, £2.99 (change "gb" to whatever other country if you're elsewhere). Looks like 3.99 euros in countries that use that currency.
Wow, they were waiting for the UK to turn midnight. And now it won't let me download it :lol. 3,99€ is correct.

seady said:
$4 too much.
Will wait two weeks before it's on sale for $.99
Well, it's gonna be $8.99 from 30th August :D.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
seady said:
$4 too much.
Will wait two weeks before it's on sale for $.99
Have fun waiting for the price increase after the launch week.

Espgaluda has been out for months and it's still $9 (it was $5 during launch week just like this will be)

Ninja Dom

What?

"The item is currently being modified. Please try again later."

Can't download. Either from iPhone or iTunes on my computer.

Risette

A Good Citizen
japtor said:
Yeah buy it in iTunes on your computer (when it comes out), then next time you sync it'll transfer it onto your phone.
Will having an iPhone 3G right now (which can't play it) affect this? I should be able to transfer it over to my iPhone 4 when I get it right?

japtor

Aigis said:
Will having an iPhone 3G right now (which can't play it) affect this? I should be able to transfer it over to my iPhone 4 when I get it right?
Yeah it's fine, you'll just get a note next time you sync it like "(app name) couldn't be transferred over because (your device) does not meet the requirements." When you get the 4 you'll be able to transfer/buy it from the phone. I have a 3G and did the same with Espgaluda II before I got my iPad.

Risette

A Good Citizen
japtor said:
Yeah it's fine, you'll just get a note next time you sync it like "(app name) couldn't be transferred over because (your device) does not meet the requirements." When you get the 4 you'll be able to transfer/buy it from the phone. I have a 3G and did the same with Espgaluda II before I got my iPad.
Thanks. Bought. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Uuugh! WTF with that icon on the US version? An ugly little girl is not exactly what I associate with a sci-fi militaristic insectoid shmup... Japanese icon is much better.

At least on ESP 2 they were courteous enough to put someone older looking -_- (and at least there you see characters that you're selecting)

japtor

Lord Error said:
Uuugh! WTF with that icon on the US version? An ugly little girl is not exactly what I associate with a sci-fi militaristic insectoid shmup... Japanese icon is much better.

At least on ESP 2 they were courteous enough to put someone older looking -_- (and at least there you see characters that you're selecting)
Huh? I have this:

hsvMr.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
japtor said:
Huh? I have this:

hsvMr.jpg
Yeah, I guess that's what shows up in Itunes. When I access app store through iphone I'm getting something... pretty ugly and irrelevant looking - and those icons are without exception what ends up being the app icon on the phone.

japtor

Took forever downloading and syncing but it finally finished. Got a game in and...1cc'd my first time though, granted with the help of many auto bombs. 2,453,774,964 on Arcade Type B/Strong, 12th in that section...wish there was a single overall leaderboard.

mjc

This is my first Cave game...how do bullet hell games work exactly? I notice the blue and pink lasers from enemies but I don't know how I take damage.

japtor

mjc said:
This is my first Cave game...how do bullet hell games work exactly? I notice the blue and pink lasers from enemies but I don't know how I take damage.
You get hit you die.

That's it, there's no damage to be taken. The Japanese make incredibly flimsy ships.

...or it would be but they've made things slightly more complex these days. The laser beams (not the small bullets) can be blocked by just using your own laser. If you have the hyper activated (which looks like a giant mass of death coming from your ship) you can block bullets with the regular shot, but not the laser beams. For those you still need to use your laser even in hyper mode...which makes you vulnerable to regular bullets again. And don't run into ships cause that kills you too.

anyone get this to work on ipad? i dl'd it and it gets past the cave marquee and the now loading message, then it just sits at a white screen with a border forever

:-(

also i am jailbroken

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
An ugly little girl is not exactly what I associate with a sci-fi militaristic insectoid shmup...

um - but you would associate her with DDP DFK right? if it's the girl / robot i'm thinking of

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Been playing iPhone mode. Goddamn, this game is ballin'.

It, uh, took me a bit to figure out how to deal with lasers though. Guess it'd help if I hadn't bypassed the tutorial.

It's good. But it does suffer from a significant amount of slow down on my 32GB iTouch. Espgaluda in comparison had almost no slow down at all. But this does seem to be a bit busier on screen overall.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Amazing job by Cave as usual.

They own the shmup scene on iphone.

I remember when 2D shooters like DDP and Guwange blew my mind on Saturn more than a decade ago.

Now they're on my TELEPHONE. WTF.

Hunahan

Banned
Hadn't played a DDP game since....well....DDP.

Kinda threw me off with the robo-chick bosses there. The new Cave really doesn't seem to get away from the cutesy stuff.

Overall pretty good. Playing on iPhone still makes these games a bit too easy since you have variable ship speed for dodging, but it's a fun game to have in your pocket no doubt. Easily worth $5, at least...

Ninja Dom

Wow!! The game is HECTIC!!! Far busier than Espgaluda 2.

First tip for iPhone mode, read the tutorial. Second tip, switch to lasers to push back enemy lasers (it's in the tutorial).

Add me on OpenFeint: Ninja Dom

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ninja Dom said:
Wow!! The game is HECTIC!!! Far busier than Espgaluda 2.

First tip for iPhone mode, read the tutorial. Second tip, switch to lasers to push back enemy lasers (it's in the tutorial).

Add me on OpenFeint: Ninja Dom
I just made an openfeint thread. It's long overdue. Should be on the front page... I'd link to it, but I'm rocking my iPhone and the mobile app right now.

I'm Dacvak on OpenFeint, btw.

Reese-015

Anyone having problems with it running incredibly sluggishly? Espgaluda2 is damn smooth on my 3GS but DDPR is so sluggish I can't even play it. As soon as the action starts it dips to what feels like 20-30fps with constant further dips that make the controls so jerky that my ship just jumps around instead of actually moving.

CAVE343

It's awesome! But I'm new to this game; how does the scoring system work? I mean, what style is the best in arcade? The bomb/power/strong style? Someone care to explain :)

Ninja Dom

Reese-015 said:
Anyone having problems with it running incredibly sluggishly? Espgaluda2 is damn smooth on my 3GS but DDPR is so sluggish I can't even play it. As soon as the action starts it dips to what feels like 20-30fps with constant further dips that make the controls so jerky that my ship just jumps around instead of actually moving.
Even playing on an iPhone 4 there are times when the game stutters. But this is when you're moving and the phone is trying to get reception.

My big gripe is that if you achieve a high score offline you can't later upload it to Open Feint.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Reese-015 said:
Definitely haven't encountered that. I don't know if it has something to do with the phone looking for different towers as I've only played it while sitting still. It has been a very solid 60 fps here, with only occasional dips that seem normal for this kind of game. Very very impressive looking game in motion. Cave absolutely owns the iPhone hardware.

gunstarhero

Wow - simply awesome. And for some reason, it looks a lot better than Esp2 on my iPad. Not as blurry in 2x mode.

Love the way the cannon handles work. Fun stuff.

Top Bottom