• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodonpachi Resurrection iPhone/iPod touch |OT| Release on 26 Aug

Lord Error said:
Ipad apparently has fillrate problems so that some the games that run 60FPS on 3GS don't run at 60FPS on Ipad in double scaled mode.

For what it's worth Espgaluda II seems to run just fine on my iPad in double scaled mode.

hipgnosis

Dr. Light said:
I'm sure it's a kickass game, but based on what I can see it seems to be well within Saturn capabilities.

Well Ketsui didn't run on PS2 and this game is far more advanced than Ketsui so I seriously doubt this would run on Saturn. Seriously, have you watched any gameplay footage of the game? The amount of stuff on screen is ridiculous.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ipad apparently has fillrate problems so that some the games that run 60FPS on 3GS don't run at 60FPS on Ipad in double scaled mode.
I think that was more of a programming issue. The trouble games have all been fixed via updates and many of them worked just fine out of the gate.

Also, some early iPad games were updated with higher framerates.

Peff

Cave did say something about the whole RAM stuff in the latest Edge

Do you think the iPad would be a more interesting platform to develop arcade-style shooters for?

We already have users who are requesting that we develop a shooter for the iPad, but we need to study the platform further to see what can be done and how. There is the issue of whether todevelop a game especially for it. Plus, we already see a few technical obstacles, again with the amount of memory. Only Apple can solve that one.

Dr. Light

hipgnosis said:
Well Ketsui didn't run on PS2 and this game is far more advanced Ketsui that so I seriously doubt this would run on Saturn. Seriously, have you watched any gameplay footage of the game? The amount of stuff on screen is ridiculous.

And yet according to wiki, there's a DS version? Something screwy here.

Fine I'll take your word for it. Just pointing out this is a very old genre and sprite engines are generally considered to have been near-perfected for quite a while. It's just hard to accept the idea that there's any modern hardware that couldn't handle this game.

Cave did say something about the whole RAM stuff in the latest Edge

Do they actually do native HD assets for 360 versions?

andymcc

Banned
Dr. Light said:
And yet according to wiki, there's a DS version? Something screwy here.

Fine I'll take your word for it. Just pointing out this is a very old genre and sprite engines are generally considered to have been near-perfected for quite a while. It's just hard to accept the idea that there's any modern hardware that couldn't handle this game.

the DS version is a boss rush, it's not the full game.

Dr. Light

Fine, I'll leave you people to your shooters. But if they want me to buy they have to make an HD iPad version. Which I know is possible. Out.

Dr. Light said:
Fine, I'll leave you people to your shooters. But if they want me to buy they have to make an HD iPad version. Which I know is possible. Out.
How is an HD iPad version possible when iPad isn't even an HD display?

Minsc

Gold Member
Dr. Light said:

No one appreciates a good pixel these days.

Minsc

Gold Member
andymcc said:
stop shitting up this thread.

How, exactly, is saying I think the game looks good shitting up the thread? I think you're doing more harm than good yourself.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm sure it's a kickass game, but based on what I can see it seems to be well within Saturn capabilities.

see from what? it running in the arcade? videos? ... screenshots?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIiS_...feature=search

The screen is a bit busier in Dodonpachi, but it's not a night and day difference.

i think you need to actually go play Dodonpachi DFK because there's a hell of a lot more going on than in RSG. A HELL of a lot more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2tc8Suz-Y

Video reminds me how excited i am for this and the X360 version. Bring it on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jonnyram said:
So will it come out at midnight JST?

I hear the download's a little over 300MB.

I wonder what would account for a nearly 300% increase in size over Espgaluda II? I figured since this was another arcade port it'd be similar in size or smaller (especially since this game came out in '97 according to Wiki, while Esp II came out '05).

Peff

Jonnyram said:
So will it come out at midnight JST?

I hear the download's a little over 300MB.

Isn't that nearly an hour ago? Or do you mean tomorrow at midnight JST? If I remember correctly Espgaluda came out during GMT night, which can't be JST midnight... Stupid timezones :(

EDIT: oh shit.

Jonnyram

Minsc said:
I wonder what would account for a nearly 300% increase in size over Espgaluda II? I figured since this was another arcade port it'd be similar in size or smaller (especially since this game came out in '97 according to Wiki, while Esp II came out '05).
Well for starters, it has two soundtracks included. The original version for Arcade and an arranged version for iPhone mode.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jonnyram said:
Well for starters, it has two soundtracks included. The original version for Arcade and an arranged version for iPhone mode.

So then it's not like a significantly larger/longer game or anything then? Hmm. Guess I'll see when I get it! Maybe there's a lot more FMV or something.

Jonnyram

Minsc said:
So then it's not like a significantly larger/longer game or anything then? Hmm. Guess I'll see when I get it! Maybe there's a lot more FMV or something.
To be honest, I can't talk about the length of the game because I'm playing one credit games and I've only reached stage 4 so far ;)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Trying to purchase, but it says that the item is being modified.

Tried on iphone and ipad.

Jonnyram

Stage 4 is haaaaard. I can reach it in iPhone and Arcade mode, but those spinning lasers really get me. There is some extra lifeage on that stage, but I'm really hitting a brick wall in spite of that.

Type C <3

Flek

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Stage 4 is haaaaard. I can reach it in iPhone and Arcade mode, but those spinning lasers really get me. There is some extra lifeage on that stage, but I'm really hitting a brick wall in spite of that.

Type C <3

isnt this level 5 you are talking about? I made it to the boss but then he got me :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jonnyram said:

Type C <3
Have they added limited continues this time? That was one thing about Espgaluda 2 that bothered me. I know you could artificially limit yourself, but I like being challenged with limited continues that force you to improve if you want to complete the game.

Jonnyram

dark10x said:
Have they added limited continues this time? That was one thing about Espgaluda 2 that bothered me. I know you could artificially limit yourself, but I like being challenged with limited continues that force you to improve if you want to complete the game.
Limit yourself, dude.

Bah, I thought it will be on the german store the same time it releases on the japanese. And there's only ¥100 left on my account grawh...

On a side note:
Espgaluda II gives me a white screen when I try to access Open Feint. Anybody else ever experienced this and solved it?

EDIT: Never mind, I just reinstalled it and it's working now.

Ninja Dom

Minsc said:

Remember that this iPhone game is Dodonpachi Ressurection - the Western version of Dodonpachi Dai Fukkatsu and this game hit the arcades in 2008.

It was the simply Dodonpachi that came out in 1997.

The iPhone game is the 5th in the DonPachi series starting from 1995.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Peff said:
Isn't that nearly an hour ago? Or do you mean tomorrow at midnight JST? If I remember correctly Espgaluda came out during GMT night, which can't be JST midnight... Stupid timezones :(

EDIT: oh shit.
The game hits at midnight in your country.

No messing with crazy timezones. Just midnight, wherever you are.

Ninja Dom

Alright so on my MacBook I just changed my iTunes store to the Japanese store and DoDonPachi is there after a search.

I've got £15 GBP credit on my iTunes account.

Can I buy the Japanese version and it sync to my iPhone and it work properly??

Or do I just wait a few more hours for the UK release??

japtor

Ninja Dom said:
Alright so on my MacBook I just changed my iTunes store to the Japanese store and DoDonPachi is there after a search.

I've got £15 GBP credit on my iTunes account.

Can I buy the Japanese version and it sync to my iPhone and it work properly??

Or do I just wait a few more hours for the UK release??
I think you need credit on the Japanese store (and maybe another account?) so that might not work anyways. Just wait a few hours.

Top Bottom