• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

Übermatik;246621100 said:
When you go for a joke like that you go as far as you can. That's what makes it horrible, uncomfortable.

Made me splutter into that sort of stunned humour you get with dark jokes like that.

Also that DMT-esque sequence was cool.

Great episode - Season 3 so far has been consistently high quality - when it's not funny, it's entertaining in some other way.
I laughed out loud at that but it was one of those same like shock-laughs, and I felt really bad laughing when I did. I think that might be the darkest joke they've ever done?

Rick's cybernetic augmentation being cheap little retractable suction cup got the biggest laugh from me in this ep.

The best part is that short struggle to reach the gun properly and the change in expression as he's trying to grab it

The struggle to reach was my favorite thing in the whole episode. I wonder if the joke started that way or if it was originally "Rick has a huge gun come out of his arm, it fires a tiny plunger and brings the ray gun back to him" and someone else plus'd it like "When it brings it back it should dangle just out of his reach at first."

It's almost like those episodes basically show the dark sides of each character and how much they (have come to) resemble Rick.
Ep 2: Summer, Ep 3: Beth, Ep 4: Morty, Ep 5: Jerry and basically the other 3 in the B-plot again.

Wow, that's surprisingly insightful, I agree it feels like we're seeing their scarred versions, especially after the whole world being taken over and Rick getting imprisoned.

e_i

That was dark when the boy killed his sister. DARK.

Also, nice Honey, I blew Up the Kid reference.

Also, goddamn at Morty at the campfire scene.

That was dark when the boy killed his sister. DARK.

Also, nice Honey, I blew Up the Kid reference.

Also, goddamn at Morty at the campfire scene.
I mean it's dark but this is the show a boy buried his own body and was mentally scarred for life plus his grandpa in a later season attempted suicide and failed.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I mean it's dark but this is the show a boy buried his own body and was mentally scarred for life plus his grandpa in a later season attempted suicide and failed.

This is my kind of dark, because it's so over the top. The more realistic dark of Jerry being a total loser and Rick being an emotionally abusive asshole is just too...real, for me. It's still funny, but hits just a tad too close to home to be laugh out loud hilarious.

This is my kind of dark, because it's so over the top. The more realistic dark of Jerry being a total loser and Rick being an emotionally abusive asshole is just too...real, for me. It's still funny, but hits just a tad too close to home to be laugh out loud hilarious.

I'm inclined to agree. There might be story reasons they want to explore why Morty and heck, the whole family doesn't seem to be phased much or at all, or are now actively participating in violence and murders without much thought.

It was just last season where Rick implied to Morty that the reason he was participating in the purge was because he ate some food laced with .. whatever it was, some kind of purge inducing drugs on a candy bar, even though that may not have been true, the show was aware how far it went with having the innocent everyday people, like Morty, going on a killing spree. And when Summer was in the car which was protected by the alarm, and how horrified she was when the car alarm was murdering people.

Again, it might be that the show recognizes this and is going somewhere with it, but when these characters don't retain their innocence so much in Season 3, they're less endearing.

It's not like I abhor cartoon violence, but I thought the violence in Episode 4 was really off putting, especially since Morty barely had a reaction to seeing people he thought of as heroes dying left and right, and Rick being responsible really.

Rick seems particularly murderous this season too. It seems to fit the character when he's protecting himself, but he's going out of his way quite a bit this season.

vypek

The struggle to reach was my favorite thing in the whole episode. I wonder if the joke started that way or if it was originally "Rick has a huge gun come out of his arm, it fires a tiny plunger and brings the ray gun back to him" and someone else plus'd it like "When it brings it back it should dangle just out of his reach at first."

I could definitely see them developing the joke that way like the gun was actually functional and a cool bio-enhancement for Rick and it got degraded to a plunger and then to a plunger that isn't well designed since he can't reach the object he grabs well

Razorback

Loving the season so far. All great episodes. Just posting to offset some of the negativity. I have this theory that the need to express disappointment is often stronger than the need to share praise so that might give off the impression that most people aren't liking it. I notice I often do this myself. So yeah, 5 stars, keep it up, good job Rick and Morty!

jiggles

Banned
Qbugi0K.gif
The best part is that short struggle to reach the gun properly and the change in expression as he's trying to grab it

He's only got one eye, so he doesn't have any depth perception.

HotHamBoy

I rewatched the first two seasons and I think I prefer crazy, manic Rick over snide, disinterested Rick. We have mostly gotten the latter this season.

Rick is at his most entertaining when he is enthusiastic and deranged.

Shaneus

I just realised that the sculpture Beth was joined using glue. Then I decided to look something up:
Glue, historically, is indeed made from collagen taken from animal parts, particularly horse hooves and bones.

Am I thinking too laterally, that it comes from the horses from her hospital?

vypek

He's only got one eye, so he doesn't have any depth perception.

Ah, that could be it. I literally thought of it as being an eye with some HUD where it still functions fine for him but adds extra information.

I just realised that the sculpture Beth was joined using glue. Then I decided to look something up:

I believe Morty questions her about the hospital letting her take stuff from there. Even if I'm remembering incorrectly, that was surely the point they were going for since we knew she works at a hospital meant for horses.

EDIT: Or do you mean the glue comes from the hospital?

Owari

I'm really enjoying the season but so far it's been one great episode followed buy just an ok episode. I hope next week's episode turns out to be better than okay.
This weeks episode was easily the best yet this season.

I don't get why some people think this episode was a "return to form". Not saying it was bad, to me it was pretty much the same as all other episodes this season, quality wise. Except maybe 2.
I really don't see what sets it apart from the other episodes so far.
Rewatch season 1. This episode was more like that. Which is the best season.

There were like, few to zero laughs during this episode. Shit is getting dark, lol... you can tell Harmon was not in a good place when he created this season.
This episode was hilarious, especially compared to the last 3.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The hospital might sell dead horses to the glue factory, but that's about it.

Damn flash plug in! The newer episodes won't play off the website on my PS4

Rewatching some of the old episodes on Hulu. Man evil Morty must have seen some shit to use all those Mortys as a shield.

error4041

Can you think of the lawsuits that the resort is going to face with all the deaths caused by Rick and Jerry destroying the immortality field

I'm mad at myself for missing this bit when I watched the episode, I saw it but I didn't process the joke. Brilliant joke

Shaneus

The hospital might sell dead horses to the glue factory, but that's about it.
Yeah, figured I might've been overthinking it. Only been watching R&M for about a month now (since I was made redundant from my old job) so only relatively new to how the show works, despite having seen all the episodes.

Ronin Ray

This weeks episode was easily the best yet this season.

Rewatch season 1. This episode was more like that. Which is the best season.

This episode was hilarious, especially compared to the last 3.

Yes read what I said I'm calling this a great episode and hoping the next one's better than just okay. I thought the episode before this with the superheroes was just okay and the one before that with pickle Rick was great.

Shaneus

I'm such an idiot, it didn't even click with me that the guy walking along the bridge post-credits was
Ethan
. Damn.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I missed the first time around that Morty said he tricked Rick into taking Jerry.

I also missed the part where Morty said his daughter would be the daughter of Jessica, so of course she would be attractive.

Morty also killed the real version of "My Man" mailman.

vypek

What's your favorite episode of the show?

I think I gotta go with Rick Potion #9.

I can't remember the title but it might be the one with the aliens trying to get a formula from Rick.

Jerry's lines of "Now who is unremarkable" and "Are you hungry for apples" during sex make me laugh just thinking about it.

zeemumu

What are the odds that at some point between episodes, Rick actually redeemed that free replacement Morty voucher that he got from "Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind" and the Morty we're with right now isn't the Morty we knew but an entirely different Morty who has the capacity to become another evil Morty (maybe the Morty belonging to the Rick who was between C-137 and Evil Rick on the Rick evil scale), and that's what we're seeing happen in that scene in the intro where he's shopping for Morty's?

Finally got around to watching this weeks episode.

I just don't know about this season.

Doesn't feel memorable. Right now I could probably list 50 different things I remember vividly from season 1 and 2.

I'm enjoying it because it's more Rick and Morty, but this season is not doing it for me in the same way the previous ones did.

What are the odds that at some point between episodes, Rick actually redeemed that free replacement Morty voucher that he got from "Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind" and the Morty we're with right now isn't the Morty we knew but an entirely different Morty who has the capacity to become another evil Morty (maybe the Morty belonging to the Rick who was between C-137 and Evil Rick on the Rick evil scale), and that's what we're seeing happen in that scene in the intro where he's shopping for Morty's?
It's definitely a possibility but it seems that c-137 rick is more attached to his grandchildren, specifically morty, that he likes to let out.

Didn't seem to give a fuck about leaving original Beth and summer behind though lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I'm pretty sure the "Fantasy Action Figure Morty" is an opening gag that never happens on the show, like the past seasons they've had. It's always fun to pick out those early on. I'm guessing Summer with Big Cybernetic Summer is also a gag.

Finally got around to watching this weeks episode.

I just don't know about this season.

Doesn't feel memorable. Right now I could probably list 50 different things I remember vividly from season 1 and 2.

I'm enjoying it because it's more Rick and Morty, but this season is not doing it for me in the same way the previous ones did.

You've had years to rewatch and absorb Seasons 1 and 2. You'll probably be looking back at this episode in a year or two with fond remembrance.

zeemumu

I'm pretty sure the "Fantasy Action Figure Morty" is an opening gag that never happens on the show, like the past seasons they've had. It's always fun to pick out those early on. I'm guessing Summer with Big Cybernetic Summer is also a gag.

I would have agreed had Concerto not shown up.

You've had years to rewatch and absorb Seasons 1 and 2. You'll probably be looking back at this episode in a year or two with fond remembrance.

Other than the first episode and the schezwan sauce, I barely remember anything that has happened in the other four episodes.

Maybe pickle rick fighting the rats.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Any way to legally watch this from the UK?

New episodes on netflix every week
Haven't worked out what day they come though, but so far the first four are up so I'm assuming a week delay

I'm wondering if that last scene in the credits (with the giant cthulhu) will ever be shown in an episode or if it's just for the intro. It's been in the intro for two seasons now.

What's your favorite episode of the show?
I think "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" is the perfect one show example of what Rick and Morty is, the episode Id show someone if I was trying to sell them on it.

So I guess that's my favorite. But if I tried to make a top 5 it'd be almost impossible. Every time I put in the Blu Ray to 'watch a couple of my favorites' I end up watching the whole season. Best show on TV by far imo. Feels like it's a show custom made to my tastes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" is the perfect one show example of what Rick and Morty is, the episode Id show someone if I was trying to sell them on it.

So I guess that's my favorite. But if I tried to make a top 5 it'd be almost impossible. Every time I put in the Blu Ray to 'watch a couple of my favorites' I end up watching the whole season. Best show on TV by far imo. Feels like it's a show custom made to my tastes.

That is a strong contender for my favorite episode too. Both A and B plots are fucking absurd and hilarious and brilliant.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I was told about this show in 2015 I think, I asked a friend about it and he said it was shit and not to bother. The same friend convinced me to try it again recently, as he had changed his mind about it.

Watched the first episode and absolutely hated it, then watched the second and laughed my ass off for the entire thing. They should really get rid of the pilot from Netflix etc, I don't know if I have ever seen such a big jump between the first and second episodes of a show.

I was told about this show in 2015 I think, I asked a friend about it and he said it was shit and not to bother. The same friend convinced me to try it again recently, as he had changed his mind about it.

Watched the first episode and absolutely hated it, then watched the second and laughed my ass off for the entire thing. They should really get rid of the pilot from Netflix etc, I don't know if I have ever seen such a big jump between the first and second episodes of a show.

Is it that bad? I raved about the show to my sister, and 2 minutes in she said she couldn't stand the way Rick talked and never went back. So you're not the only one.

I consider the Pilot to be the worst episode (insanely high bar) but when I watched it the first time it had the desired affect of making me want to see more. I think it's pretty good.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is it that bad? I raved about the show to my sister, and 2 minutes in she said she couldn't stand the way Rick talked and never went back. So you're not the only one.

I consider the Pilot to be the worst episode (insanely high bar) but when I watched it the first time it had the desired affect of making me want to see more. I think it's pretty good.

I got a really open mind, and I'm not a cynical person, I generally like most things I watch and this is right up my alley. Even still I can say yes, it's that bad. I didn't laugh once yet was constantly laughing at the two episodes I have watched since (the Scary Terry one and the one with the helpers that spawn out of the box).

If you are recommending it to anyone, I strongly advise you suggest starting with episode 2. Kinda like when I recommend Parks and Rec to people, I always advise they start with season 2, while S1 is good it's a completely different show.

Owari

Had a shin-dig at the casa and played the newest episode, followed by the last 3. The newest episode was 100% laughter the entire time. The other episodes? Hardly a chuckle. I swear I didn't say anything either. Shit sucks. Hopefully they fire those writers and let Ridley and the OG writers write more.

Puruzi

Banned
Had a shin-dig at the casa and played the newest episode, followed by the last 3. The newest episode was 100% laughter the entire time. The other episodes? Hardly a chuckle. I swear I didn't say anything either. Shit sucks. Hopefully they fire those writers and let Ridley and the OG writers write more.

XWWlfFr.gif

HariKari

r/thatHappened

Top Bottom