• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

CommanderBuck

Neo Member
There might be a surplus from Ricks dying. Some Rick's might not need Morty's either, look at the guys working street selling jobs in the Citadel.

Man, that scene where the kid alien shoots his sister. I did not expect it to go there.
Me and my brother looked at each other and at the same time said "damn". That was pretty bleak.

Agreed, especially because the moment that the field turned off, my first thought was "damn, now that kid's gonna die" - actually showing it was unnecessary and cruel.

When you go for a joke like that you go as far as you can. That's what makes it horrible, uncomfortable.

Made me splutter into that sort of stunned humour you get with dark jokes like that.

Also that DMT-esque sequence was cool.

Great episode - Season 3 so far has been consistently high quality - when it's not funny, it's entertaining in some other way.

OmegaFax

I didn't get a single laugh from this episode. They're going to ride out this divorce thing way past it's course.

The entire A and B plot felt half baked.

barber

Morty just fed up with his entire family behaving like absolute Ricks, just want to chill out and not have to deal with the nonsense was pretty good (and really, fucking hoof statue? yikes).
Rick having those augmentations was a pretty cool stuff, i liked it a lot.

Violet_0

Banned
Me and my brother looked at each other and at the same time said "damn". That was pretty bleak.

that was the darkest moment of the episode. It was also the funniest moment, somehow

decent episode, I'd have liked to see more of the Rick & Jerry adventure. The B plot was weak

that was the darkest moment of the episode. It was also the funniest moment, somehow

decent episode, I'd have liked to see more of the Rick & Jerry adventure. The B plot was weak
The b plot had one purpose which they've been driving home: morty is not as much of an idiot as he once was in season 1. He's knowledgeable enough and knows how to deal with a lot of these instruments even when Rick is not around.

I don't know if I'd call him smart quite yet, but at the very least he's very much absorbing a lot of the information he's taking from Rick.

I hope it culminates at some point where morty attempts to invent something and even though it would likely go wrong and be the premise/plot tool of the episode it would happen you would ultimately realize that morty is slowly becoming a scientist of his own.

Violet_0

Banned
The b plot had one purpose which they've been driving home: morty is not as much of an idiot as he once was in season 1. He's knowledgeable enough and knows how to deal with a lot of these instruments even when Rick is not around.

I don't know if I'd call him smart quite yet, but at the very least he's very much absorbing a lot of the information he's taking from Rick.

I hope it culminates at some point where morty attempts to invent something and even though it would likely go wrong and be the premise/plot tool of the episode it would happen you would ultimately realize that morty is slowly becoming a scientist of his own.

they did it better (and way more amusing) in the last episode. Morty complaining about having to diffuse a bomb again, the Israel joke. In this episode, they just established that Morty and Summer have developed a rudimentary understanding of Rick's tools. It's pretty obvious that Morty's arc this season is that he wisens up, becoming more competent but also more cynical about everything

the episode kind of lost me shortly after the immortality field exploded. I loved the 'truth' moment about Jerry being a predator on his own, though

they did it better (and way more amusing) in the last episode. Morty complaining about having to diffuse a bomb again, the Israel joke. In this episode, they just established that Morty and Summer have developed a rudimentary understanding of Rick's tools. It's pretty obvious that Morty's arc this season is that he wisens up, becoming more competent but also more cynical about everything

the episode kind of lost me shortly after the immortality field exploded. I loved the 'truth' moment about Jerry being a predator on his own, though
Yeah the character development from Jerry acknowledging that he has always preyed on people with pity was great. I hope he does move on. His relationship with Beth was fucking toxic from the start. Neither really wanted to be with the other, they just didn't know better and are miserable.

Imho this episode felt as a whole like more of a season 1 and 2 Rick and morty episode than 4. This would be one of the regular throwaway episodes from season 1 and 2 outside of the tripy animation scene which was gorgeous.

My new rankings are likely 1>3>5>4>2

MC Safety

The b plot had one purpose which they've been driving home: morty is not as much of an idiot as he once was in season 1..

I took a more cynical view. I'd even argue there wasn't a point to hammer home, but instead the secondary plot was just an adventure the other family members could share.

Morty was horrified to shoot an alien in the first episode. Now, he's comfortable disfiguring a child for being a jerky teenager. I think that says more about Morty's character than his ability to operate a machine that's pretty clearly labeled.

I took a more cynical view. I'd even argue there wasn't a point to hammer home, but instead the secondary plot was just an adventure the other family members could share.

Morty was horrified to shoot an alien in the first episode. Now, he's comfortable disfiguring a child for being a jerky teenager. I think that says more about Morty's character than his ability to operate a machine that's pretty clearly labeled.
Oh mortys darker side is definitely something worth discussing.

Particularly that the more competent he gets the more he seems to be approaching evil morty. Isn't our rick the second most evil one?

Maybe we will have an episode evil morty tries to recruit our morty.

vypek

Oh mortys darker side is definitely something worth discussing.

Particularly that the more competent he gets the more he seems to be approaching evil morty. Isn't our rick the second most evil one?

Maybe we will have an episode evil morty tries to recruit our morty.

I don't know if he is the second most evil one. I thought in the eye patch Morty episode that there were quite a few Ricks on either side of the ends. Seems our Rick is just in a random spot unless I'm remembering the episode incorrectly.

Goodstyle

He made his sister cry and feel super awful about herself/her body, a girl he supposedly loves. This is the super genius equivalent of beating the shit outta him.

It's still a massive dick move. Nothing wrong with dumping a girl you're not interested in dating anymore. Summer's reaction was on her, not him. It's better that he dumped her than cheat on her. Morty's just being an overprotective prick.

I don't know if he is the second most evil one. I thought in the eye patch Morty episode that there were quite a few Ricks on either side of the ends. Seems our Rick is just in a random spot unless I'm remembering the episode incorrectly.

If I remember correctly he's evil of center, meaning on the evil side but close to center
Both of yall are right. Doesn't he pull up a chart and our rick was a few ricks away before reaching evil Rick?

So yeah definitely evil by the Rick scale.

But he's also the rickiest Rick, so maybe the mortiest morty will learn too much from him.

StayDead

Damn that was a great episode! Jerry episodes have always been my favourite and this one seems to be the best one. It was just so dark in places and I love that.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Loved the episode. The show is constantly shitting on Jerry as a simple butt of jokes because he's always lacking. What I love about this is that Rick finally calls him out for his actual flaw which is parasitic narcissism nearing the degree of predatory self-victimization. Jerry constantly victimizes himself in order to force those around him into obligation via their need to be needed. Rick is the only one that doesn't play this game (though takes it to the opposite extreme in the season premier) and in calling him out is one of his few moments of self awareness and actual progress.

B33

Banned
Loved the episode. The show is constantly shitting on Jerry as a simple butt of jokes because he's always lacking. What I love about this is that Rick finally calls him out for his actual flaw which is parasitic narcissism nearing the degree of predatory self-victimization. Jerry constantly victimizes himself in order to force those around him into obligation via their need to be needed. Rick is the only one that doesn't play this game (though takes it to the opposite extreme in the season premier) and in calling him out is one of his few moments of self awareness and actual progress.

Spot-on. Not only is Jerry called out on his toxic behavior but he makes an effort to change.

I liked this episode. I liked the development for Rick and Jerry, and in particular Morty calling Beth out on her BS was downright cathartic.

We are half-way through the season. I wonder where everyone will be at the finale (and the inevitable cliffhanger).

CassSept

Morty really slipped into the background this season so far. He is so done with Rick that every time he appears he is completely cynical about all the stuff happening around him. Especially noticable this episode when he said that he just wanted a little peace and quiet. I wonder if we'll get a real Rick and Morty adventure this season at all, given that we're halfway through the season and the closest we have gotten was the after-credits scene of Pickle Rick (hard to qualify the last episode as a Rick and Morty adventure when it was forced upon Rick by Morty and most of the episode was angry Morty solving Rick's riddles).

Compbros

It's still a massive dick move. Nothing wrong with dumping a girl you're not interested in dating anymore. Summer's reaction was on her, not him. It's better that he dumped her than cheat on her. Morty's just being an overprotective prick.

They say it in the episode though when Summer asks, to herself, what do those two have in common that she and Ethan don't. Morty even knows the girl as the one with the "big boobs". He's a teenage boy, he dumped her for someone hotter and it made Summer feel super shitty about herself.

Trouble

Banned
Qbugi0K.gif

Not

Banned
Maybe that white straight teenage boy will have some sort of inkling about what it's like to not be a white straight teenage boy now that he's horribly disfigured

Not

Banned
Awww shoot. I wasn't saying what you guys think I was saying. That one could've spent more time in the cooker.

I don't empathize that much with Ethan, mostly because he's a cartoon character, but also because in-universe he's protected by society for the bulk of what he does, no matter how awful

Shit. Man, I should've let that be. Just saw some of the usual folk in the subreddit be like WHOA MORTY WENT TOO FAR

Hmm something about Ethan just exudes relatability for Rick and Morty's viewership. Y'know?

MC Safety

Maybe that white straight teenage boy will have some sort of inkling about what it's like to not be a white straight teenage boy now that he's horribly disfigured

I feel this has little to do with the cartoon Rick and Morty and more about, I don't know, something else.

Wiped89

That Vindicators episode is probably the weakest R&M episode yet. It's not actively bad, but it's not particularly funny, and there was some seriously iffy characterisation going on. Rick is now dangerously close to being Flanderized, which is quite concerning three seasons into the show. The superheros were more frustrating to watch than enjoyable, since they were so hostile to everyone including each other.

The ep has its moments ("half-a million ants and half-collapsing star", Ghost Train, and Noob-Noob) but otherwise it was fairly predictable, with an incredibly lazy ending. And I much as I love Noob-Noob, he is essentially a pallete swapped version of Mr. Poopybutthole. The absence of a B-story was palpable, and the lack of Jerry this season is hurting the show (though the next episode looks to rectify that). I actually like the first three episodes, but something about this season overall definitely feels off.

It feels like they're trying too hard to please the audience. They need to get back to what made the show great in the first place: Just making shit up as they go along.

I kind of agree with this. As someome who came into R&M late and only started watching this year, so I've seen every episode very close together, the show feels off in series 3

Who knows how it'll go. Maybe its best days are behind
It (American Dad went way downhill after series 2) or maybe it can have a strong series 4 and be more similar to Futurama.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I kind of agree with this. As someome who came into R&M late and only started watching this year, so I've seen every episode very close together, the show feels off in series 3

Who knows how it'll go. Maybe its best days are behind
It (American Dad went way downhill after series 2) or maybe it can have a strong series 4 and be more similar to Futurama.

That is most certainly not the general consensus. Most people think the show got considerably better post-season 2.

This and the little girl getting shot by her brother were my LOL moments of the episode.

Not

Banned
Damn, I am fucking up so hard today. I feel clueless and shitty in so many areas. Apologies for the post. I should go take a break.

Morty's definitely becoming more like Rick this season. Him turning Ethan into a body-horror abomination because he made Summer feel bad was a Rick-inspired moment of family vengeance. He even coldly and cynically talked to Ethan about what he did to Summer before doing it, which is definitely something Rick would do to someone (other than himself) who emotionally hurt his family. Besides, it's not like what happened to Ethan is irreversible. Summer may decide to get back together with him and ask that they fix him. It's a bad decision on her part, but bad decisions run in the family.

In fact, I'm guessing that's the end game for the series - that everyone in the family is fucked up in different ways, but they'd rather be fucked-up individuals together than apart. Total Rickall is probably the episode that best illustrates that so far.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Morty's definitely becoming more like Rick this season. Him turning Ethan into a body-horror abomination because he made Summer feel bad was a Rick-inspired moment of family vengeance. He even coldly and cynically talked to Ethan about what he did to Summer before doing it, which is definitely something Rick would do to someone (other than himself) who emotionally hurt his family. Besides, it's not like what happened to Ethan is irreversible. Summer may decide to get back together with him and ask that they fix him. It's a bad decision on her part, but bad decisions run in the family.

In fact, I'm guessing that's the end game for the series - that everyone in the family is fucked up in different ways, but they'd rather be fucked-up individuals together than apart. Total Rickall is probably the episode that best illustrates that so far.

I don't remember him doing this. He just powered up the machine, but I took that as him bringing his sister and mom back. Was there a scene I missed or something?

Hinchy

I don't remember him doing this. He just powered up the machine, but I took that as him bringing his sister and mom back. Was there a scene I missed or something?

post-credits stinger. if you don't stick around after the credits, there's almost always something great after every single episode. some are even kind of important to the plot. I suggest you go back and watch em all.

EDIT: beat

Top Bottom