• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Okay, I get it. Still more than serviceable though. And certainly as long as it's not hacked, I'll keep it.

But I think the bigger question it raises is how are people finding these to trade for me? Are there really just that many players out there? I've offered up some breedject Pikachu and Pichu and I've gotten that Weedle, a Larvitar, and an Aron. How do people even know they're getting anything decent? Effort is worth a lot in trades, but you wouldn't know it just by randomly looking through trades, especially since a lot are scams.

To get 6 IV Pokemon (most competitive Pokemon need 5 stats at 31 to maximise effectiveness (forgoing the stat they don't attack with) but some need 6) , the idea is to have say 2 or 3 4 IV Ditto with different max IVs and a parent of the desired species and correct nature. You give the Ditto a Destiny Knot or Brace and the species parent an Everstone (to pass on nature), you then breed Offspring until you get 1 with how ever many perfect IVs the Ditto had (replacing the originally parent when an offspring has more IVs than the patent), then you do the same thing with another Ditto until you get a 5 IV parent, then you breed until you either get a better parent than the ditto and replace it or you get your 6 IV Pokemon. You only have a 5/6 chance the right IVs are passed down and then a 50/50 chance it's from the right parent then a 1/31 chance the random IV is 31. That leads to many many Breedjects which people wondertrade away.

People trying to breed perfect Shinies have at best a 1/512 chance on top of that (and probably worse since you need a different language parent and that's usually a Ditto and legitimate different region Dittos will have 3-4 IVs at best since Gen VI chaining was limited to 3 guaranteed and while VII allows 4, it takes 32 battles with 30 SOS chain Dittos to get a 5th on average which is ... improbable).

Yep. When trying to get a shiny dratini I had so many 5IVs and even some 6IV ones. I wondertraded all that I found to be good since I don't need them and I think many people do the same.

I didn't get these rejects from Wonder Trade though, but I have gotten some from there too.

I haven't had boxes of rejects yet, but I've been struggling on the part where the offspring is better than the parent. I guess I haven't been breeding enough to maximize my chances. I have the IVs I want among certain Pokemon, but it's the randomness in those being passed on that's throwing me off.

All thats left for me is to evolve my Type Null, a couple other Pokemon, than catch 3 more UB, the Tapus, and Necrozma and I finally have a complete Pokedex! Just in time to start bringing my Switch on the train with my every day.

I didn't get these rejects from Wonder Trade though, but I have gotten some from there too.

I haven't had boxes of rejects yet, but I've been struggling on the part where the offspring is better than the parent. I guess I haven't been breeding enough to maximize my chances. I have the IVs I want among certain Pokemon, but it's the randomness in those being passed on that's throwing me off.

You can do things in a round about way and use Braces to force a specific stat to be passed on, and even combine it with Destiny Knot for one parent, it's generally slower but if you're having bad luck or only have a few IVs to work with initially it can give you some bootstraps.

You need to keep the Everstone on one of the breeding pair for the other since there's 25 natures to worry about otherwise.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this last week, and wow it feels fresh.

The QOL improvements (not needing a Pokemon in your party to show/trade, etc.), customisation and humour all play a part in making this feel like a proper revolution for the series. Makes me excited to think what we'll see next (hopefully on Switch).

Usually in new Pokemon games I feel overwhelmed by the amount of side stuff you can do, and while it feels slightly less like "fluff" this time, I'm still wondering how to best use my time.

Is there anything people pay particular attention to? Grooming Pokemon, feeding them beans, doing Festival Plaza stuff...how essential is this?

Just started this last week, and wow it feels fresh.

The QOL improvements (not needing a Pokemon in your party to show/trade, etc.), customisation and humour all play a part in making this feel like a proper revolution for the series. Makes me excited to think what we'll see next (hopefully on Switch).

Usually in new Pokemon games I feel overwhelmed by the amount of side stuff you can do, and while it feels slightly less like "fluff" this time, I'm still wondering how to best use my time.

Is there anything people pay particular attention to? Grooming Pokemon, feeding them beans, doing Festival Plaza stuff...how essential is this?

In the game itself you can more or less ignore everything. Though you should probably develop the Pelago (Beans first then as you like) and the Festival Plaza as much as you can be bothered. Grooming is a good way to get affection if you want those boosts or to get Sylveon, the X1.2 Exp is definitely worth having.

The Plaza and Pelago are fairly essential for the post game stuff since Sun / Moon is a step backwards in many ways for setting up competitive teams and theres no lower tiers in Battle Royale / Tree to practice on. The Plaza requires stupid amounts of setup to be functional unfortunately.

JoeM86

So a few things.

New Global Mission
C5u_ZHLXMAA0WFd.jpg

Get BP at the Battle Tree. Easy enough to do. I just did 3 battles and got 21 BP due to my streak being at 60 when I started.

Rewards
4000 FC if successful (it will be)
Earn 3+BP - 5 Rare Candy
Everyone earns 500,000BP together - 1 Heavy Ball

Online Competition - Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble
C5uWLawWgAIrsdR.jpg

Registration Period: March 9th 2017 - March 16th 2017
Battle Period: March 17th 2017 - March 19th 2017
Battle Type: Single Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto & Alola Pokédex Only.
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna
Banned Items: Mega Stones
Entry Gift: Steelixite, Pidgeotite

Kanto & Alola Pokédex is an interesting restriction. Allows both Region Forms (but only one per species per team). Rules are available to be downloaded in the Download Rules

So a few things.

New Global Mission
C5u_ZHLXMAA0WFd.jpg

Get BP at the Battle Tree. Easy enough to do. I just did 3 battles and got 21 BP due to my streak being at 60 when I started.

Rewards
Earn 3+BP - 5 Rare Candy

C5uWLawWgAIrsdR.jpg

Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna

Kanto & Alola Pokédex is an interesting restriction. Allows both Region Forms (but only one per species per team). Rules are available to be downloaded in the Download Rules

Sweet. This is gonna be gud.

The Battle Tree reqs has to be relatively low since only a tiny portion of the player base has access to it.

None of the random internet people in my Plaza are anywhere near the post game kidding by Festival Plaza development and what they say they've done.

People from Competitions or GameFAQs / GAF trades are different of course.

JoeM86

The Battle Tree reqs has to be relatively low since only a tiny portion of the player base has access to it.

None of the random internet people in my Plaza are anywhere near the post game kidding by Festival Plaza development and what they say they've done.

Hilarious thing is that my streak, which isn't even that high, currently nets me 7BP per battle.

I only needed 3BP for the Rare Candy gift...

Wiseblade

Its stupidly easy to earn BP though.

A Ten win streak is 20 points
A Twenty win streak is 50 points
A Thirty win streak us 90 points
A Forty win streak is 140 points
A Fifty win streak is 244 points

1100 people getting a 50 win streak once is all it would take to clear the mission. That's already a piece of cake, but it gets even easier when you consider that people can share teams now. You don't need to spend hours breeding/EV training a viable team (you didn't anyway, but still), you can just scan a QR code and be ready to go.

I wonder if allowing Gen VI transfers is really a good idea here. The ORAS move tutors give Gen VI Mons a fairly large coverage (and power for many mons) advantage over Alola mons. On the other hand very few Kanto mons are particular min-maxed stat wise (compared to say Unova) and one of the major Gen I players, Gengar, got a fairly major nerf in losing Levitate (going from immune to Ground to weak to it kind of sucks) so maybe its just levelling the player field..

Its stupidly easy to earn BP though.

A Ten win streak is 20 points
A Twenty win streak is 50 points
A Thirty win streak us 90 points
A Forty win streak is 140 points
A Fifty win streak is 244 points

1100 people getting a 50 win streak once is all it would take to clear the mission. That's already a piece of cake, but it gets even easier when you consider that people can share teams now. You don't need to spend hours breeding/EV training a viable team (you didn't anyway, but still), you can just scan a QR code and be ready to go.

True, I wonder if someone thought it was 1 BP a match, which would be less of a walkover.

JoeM86

The thing that annoys me somewhat is that the English PGL actually gave links to rental teams for people to do it. The Japanese did not. It feels condescending as hell

I admit I don't quiet understand how the Double Battle Team is supposed to work. Seems like the idea is to lead with Mimikyu and Snorlax, Mimikyu uses Trick Room (protecred by Disguise) while Snorlax Belly Drums. But what does Mimkyu do then ? Does it stay out and use Focus Sash and Pain Split to badly maul 1 opponent and then use Destiny Bond to take someone out when it goes ? Or is it supposed to be retrieved and used as a revenge killer (it has Shadow Sneak) later or is that just so its not complete Taunt bait ?

Arquanid and Marowak are obviously a different pair were Marowak prevents Arquanid getting hit with Thunder attacks via its Lightning Rod while Arquanid attacks with its powerful water attacks or provides defensive support against eg Earthquake which Marowak is vulnerable too.

Edit - Running both Shadow Sneak and Shadow Ball on the Aegislash on the Singles Team seems a bit risky too but I suppose the logic is that Shadow Sneak is too weak for standard STAB and none of its other options make up for the lack of STAB.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
In the game itself you can more or less ignore everything. Though you should probably develop the Pelago (Beans first then as you like) and the Festival Plaza as much as you can be bothered. Grooming is a good way to get affection if you want those boosts or to get Sylveon, the X1.2 Exp is definitely worth having.

The Plaza and Pelago are fairly essential for the post game stuff since Sun / Moon is a step backwards in many ways for setting up competitive teams and theres no lower tiers in Battle Royale / Tree to practice on. The Plaza requires stupid amounts of setup to be functional unfortunately.

Thanks! I really appreciate the noob-centric advice amongst all the other high level talk going on.
Sounds like most of it is pretty superfluous until end game, which is reassuring. Affection benefits sound good, though! I'll be sure to rub Rowlet's tummy on a regular basis.

Thanks! I really appreciate the noob-centric advice amongst all the other high level talk going on.
Sounds like most of it is pretty superfluous until end game, which is reassuring. Affection benefits sound good, though! I'll be sure to rub Rowlet's tummy on a regular basis.
Yesss. Rubbing Rowlet's belly is the best thing about this game.
I also enjoy rubbing Snorlax's belly.

Symtendo

So a few things.

New Global Mission
C5u_ZHLXMAA0WFd.jpg

Rewards
Earn 3+BP - 5 Rare Candy

C5uWLawWgAIrsdR.jpg

Hey Joe,

How do I collect the megastores from participating in the February competition? I've looked in game and
Online and can't find out how anywhere.

Hey Joe,

How do I collect the megastores from participating in the February competition? I've looked in game and

After the rankings go up (possible a while after), you'll either get an email with a code or have to sign into the the global link to claim a code, you then redeem it in game to get your stones.

Wiseblade

The thing that annoys me somewhat is that the English PGL actually gave links to rental teams for people to do it. The Japanese did not. It feels condescending as hell
Links to ACTUAL TEAMS rather than just telling people about the option? That is pretty condescending.

JoeM86

My Battle Tree streak broke at 105 today, but I got over 300BP for the Global Mission so I'm happy
Hey Joe,

They'll likely go live next week. I'll post when they are

Links to ACTUAL TEAMS rather than just telling people about the option? That is pretty condescending.

Yep.

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/0fba93c7-7b8c-4a00-9fd4-dc383f2b17ae said:
Remember that you can use QR Code Rental Teams that other Trainers have posted to the PGL in the Battle Tree. To get you started, we've created teams for the Single Battle and Double Battle formats for you to try out. The Single Battle team features Salamence, Aegislash, and Tapu Lele—a popular combination of Dragon-type, Fairy-type, and Steel-type Pokémon, all of which are built for incredible offense. The Double Battle team relies on Snorlax's strong Belly Drum and a sneaky Lv. 1 Mimikyu, along with Araquanid and Marowak to add more power. There are a lot of fun QR Rental Teams to play with, so try out several to see which suits your battling style the best.
Single: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-4827-9CD1
Double:https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-4990-AD9C

They aren't even amazing teams

JoeM86

I don't have access to the Battle Tree yet, will I still get rewards if I register for the mission but don't contribute?

Only the Festival Coins, not the Rare Candy and Heavy Ball

-------

We're actually already almost past the first marker for this Global Mission
C5wNUyWXEAAGEpW.jpg

Yay!! Finally a complete Alola dex :D

Now time to breed some solid IV teams for no real reason than just to do it.

Question, I probably won't have the patients to get 6IV Pokemon, so which IVs should I focus on for these guys:

Dratini(I wan't it's build to be around using Outrage + berry to heal confusion)
Charmander
Growlith
Pikachu
Squirtle
Bulbasaur

I'm not really looking to build a cohesive team, their just my favorites.

Ugh, I can't even get past battle 7 in the Battle Tree. I wouldn't have been much help on this competition anyways.

Give the QR code teams a try. The Doubles Team is far from perfect but I fairly easily cleared non-Super Doubles with it (which is 45 BP).

The actual most used teams are probably significantly better.

Yay!! Finally a complete Alola dex :D

Now time to breed some solid IV teams for no real reason than just to do it.

Question, I probably won't have the patients to get 6IV Pokemon, so which IVs should I focus on for these guys:

Dratini(I wan't it's build to be around using Outrage + berry to heal confusion)
Charmander
Growlith
Pikachu
Squirtle
Bulbasaur

I'm not really looking to build a cohesive Team, their just my favorites.

Very few non-Legendary Pokemon are mixed attackers so you can usually ignore the attack stat they don't use. Eg an Outrage Dragonite should run physical moves and ignore Sp Atk IVs and take a -Sp Atk nature.

Venusaur and Blastoise are Special Attackers.

Charizard and Charizard Y are Sp Atkers , Charizard X can go either way but pick one.

Lightball Pikachu can do either but is probably slightly better at Physical due to Volt Tackle (it's very frail which makes it hard for it to run an effective Special set), Alolan Raichu is a special attacker. You can't get a Kanto Raichu with the Gen VII mark at the moment but it's generally run as a Special Attacker if you could (it's Sp Def isn't awful, and it's relatively fast).

Growlithe is generally a physical attacker , though there's some super gimmicky doubles/triples sets revolving around Burn Out.

Very few non-Legendary Pokemon are mixed attackers so you can usually ignore the attack stat they don't use. Eg an Outrage Dragonite should run physical moves and ignore Sp Atk IVs and take a -Sp Atk nature.

Venusaur and Blastoise are Special Attackers.

Charizard and Charizard Y are Sp Atkers , Charizard X can go either way but pick one.

Lightball Pikachu can do either but is probably slightly better at Physical due to Volt Tackle (it's very frail which makes it hard for it to run an effective Special set), Alolan Raichu is a special attacker. You can't get a Kanto Raichu with the Gen VII mark at the moment but it's generally run as a Special Attacker if you could (it's Sp Def isn't awful, and it's relatively fast).

Growlithe is generally a physical attacker , though there's some super gimmicky doubles/triples sets revolving around Burn Out.

Thank you :)

Smasher89

I like that this festival mission was broken this fast, maybe shows gamefreak that more facilities like the battle frontier is a good idea (or if taken in a worse way, that the battle tree is enough).

Wiseblade

Wait the new mission goal is already reached? Lol wut? >_>
250,000 points is a relatively WAY easier goal than the ones we've seen before. Like I mentioned above, it'd only take 1100 people getting a 50 win Super run to clear the mission. Getting a team capable of a 50 win streak is easy now that people can share QR codes of effective teams. Hell, the news article on the official Pokémon Global Link website linked some teams more than capable of clearing the standard tree which is still worth 45 points.

In comparison, Island Scan was limited to 1-2 Pokémon per day with a goal of 1 million captures. That was a mission that actually required on a large number of people to actively participate to even stand a chance, while this one could easily be cleared by a much smaller number of people continuing to play as they normally do.

NSESN

I didn't even there was a new mission and it is already beaten. Tomorrow i play a bit of Battle Tree to get the festival points.

Top Bottom