• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The texture work in Witcher 3 was very bad by my weird standard.

thelastword

Banned
Textures are definitely not the witcher's strength, neither is foliage, but I digress...In this generation however, we expect even our open world games to have decent texture work like; Primal, HZD, MGS5 etc...

Here's a mod illustrated by Candyland that shows some of the weak textures in that game and the improvements derived...

Video

Venfayth

Sorry, OP. But your thread title is wrong and I will defend those artists to my god damn grave.

I mean, I think Witcher 3 is a great game but some of the examples shown in the video he posted are pretty bad.

Then again I think largely the game is fine texture-wise, it's just massive and some of that stuff is going to slip through the cracks.

'Very bad' might be stretching it, but definitely spotty.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The texture work in Witcher 2 and 3 is among the best in any game. A few bad textures doesn't change that.

It looks quite good and it also didn't come out "today". It's a few years old.
Controls are probably what's more outdated in any case

Nah, they are fine by today's standards. Games like Uncharted and Horizon just excel in that regard. The mod looks nice but to be honest I think the game looks fine as is. It's not like the camera really affords you many opportunities to look at things closely, and when the game DOES choose to focus on something (in particular faces for conversations, but also props and such during cutscenes) it generally looks pretty good. Nothing that really blew my mind, but I have generally low standards when it comes to graphics in RPGs so playing one the size of the Witcher that ALSO looks pretty good is impressive to me.

rusrs1.gif

Gestault

Some of the examples in the video demonstrating the texture mod are arbitrary re-skins or tacky (ineffective) rubbish. A few changes are quite good, though. I think OP's title is good for a laugh. Having seen a lot of their posts/reaction (including about the Witcher 3) in the past puts the reaction in a "special" context.

I audibly laughed at the "improvement" at 1:35. The wrought iron at 1:15 is solid though, and doesn't clash with the game's overall style the way many others do.

tuxfool

Banned
OP didn't say the art was bad.

Don't worry, OP has probably said as much in the past.

I recall OP saying the graphics in the Witcher 3 looked like Fable.

e: here it is:

That 2014 demo is miles beyond Witcher 3 in quality. Lighting, texture work, foliage, char models, draw distance details, it wins in every category.

Funny that with all of these downgrades on what is predominantly basic and flat looking textures, npc's which look no better than OG xbox's fable.

for the sake of completeness I'll also add my response to that:

I mean, I think Witcher 3 is a great game but some of the examples shown in the video he posted are pretty bad.

Then again I think largely the game is fine texture-wise, it's just massive and some of that stuff is going to slip through the cracks.

'Very bad' might be stretching it, but definitely spotty.

I think very bad is stretching it. With the time of release and size of the game, the texture work done was fine by 2015 standards.

RavageX

Of all the things to take up issue with...

Considering what the game brought, especially in comparison to similar games(like mass effect a) I find this to be just a bit much.

It's a good game, let's leave it at that.

Xe4

Banned
That video had like one bad texture in the whole thing (and the mod didn't even fix it, lol). I get that there are some things people can complain about in TW3 (as with literally any game), but the graphics and textures were not one of those. The whole game looked stunning.

bathsalts

Mod that takes one of the best looking games of all time with overall great texture work and improves upon it...OP deduces TW3 has shit textures. Oh wait it's thelastword, dumping on TW3, ImShocked_fry.gif.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can't think of a single open world game (or game in general, for that matter) that isn't significantly variant in texture resolution across assets. And in all cases the lower quality textures are more obvious on certain assets over others based on size and prominence.

Nevertheless, it's a two year old game build with specific performance standards in mind, particularly for consoles and optimisation for CDPR's first open world engine. Memory ceilings were obviously considered even on open platforms like PC. And with that in mind I still completely disagree with the implications in the OP: The Witcher 3 on average has excellent texture work, both in technical and artistic quality. In is extremely thorough and robust in quantity of unique textures and assets in a single scene, particularly foliage, which goes a long way towards textural density and variety at any one moment.

Obviously the overall quality could be better. It could always be better. As has always been for every game, especially popular RPGs on PC, where fans will step in and slap on their own technically higher quality assets via mods. Nevertheless, nuanced texture details in the vanilla build are still very impressive, especially on armours, fabrics, and characters. Pavement and tile work also looks consistently impressive.

I don't know why MGSV is being used an example, for that matter. MGSV's texture quality always looked significantly lower on a technically level across the board to me. Gorgeous looking game, but very conservative in asset/texture variety and resolution.

Renekton

I re-tested this after a GPU upgrade and the foliage was very flat.

Haven't played the DLCs though, I heard they had graphical upgrades.

Xumbrega

Banned
Huh, I think it's pretty decent.

Also, MGS V isn't a good example as you think, in fact Witcher 3 texture quality is better than MGS.

A handful of cherry picked examples from quite literally one of the biggest games ever with an absolute insane amount of texture work. What a ridiculous thread and statement to make. Take a look at any of the Witcher armor sets and see some of the best texture work in the industry.

What's wrong with GAF these past few days? What with all the outliers coming out of the woodwork.

"Bloodborne's beginning is terrible"

"Witcher 3 texture is horrid"

"Horizon Zero Dawn combat is terrible"

etc etc etc.............

on one hand, it's refreshing to read differing views. On the other hand, it's like going to a movie forum and someone proclaiming Godfather is overrated. U wut m8?

mephixto

Banned
Every game has low res textures, open world games have the most them.

Guess the game:

Horizon Zero Dawn

The mod is suppose to improve the low res textures in the W3, there is also better textures in the game than just rocks.

wTic.jpg

The textures weren't great by 2015 standards either, but as a result the game ran pretty well even on GPUs with 2-3 gigs of VRAM.

A handful of cherry picked examples from quite literally one of the biggest games ever with an absolute insane amount of texture work. What a ridiculous thread and statement to make. Take a look at any of the Witcher armor sets and see some of the best texture work in the industry.
Yeah the armor sets are nice to look at even on console. The thread title is hyperbolic.

I don't remember ever having problems with the textures. The Witcher 3 looked amazing from start to finish.

The texture work in most games is pretty great these days. The last game I remember having shit texture work was probably the first Dishonored.

The controls are bad.
The input lag is bad.
The sluggish and laggy menus are bad.
The ridiculously small text is bad.
The voice acting is bad.
The overall lack of polish is bad.
The numerous bugs, even 13 patches in, are bad.

I still wonder why I'm playing this game. I guess it's the atmosphere, cool creatures, and interestint narrative that keep me invested.

dugdug

Banned
It honestly looks to me like they just changed the textures, rather than improving them. "Very bad" is a huge stretch, IMO.

Grassy

if only it were a sony exclusive

Hmmm, I wonder why that was my exact first thought after seeing who created this thread...

giphy.gif

It honestly looks to me like they just changed the textures, rather than improving them. "Very bad" is a huge stretch, IMO.

It also looks like some of those textures are just the original texture, with some darkening and sharpening...

thelastword

Banned
Sorry, OP. But your thread title is wrong and I will defend those artists to my god damn grave.
I'm not critiquing the art here, but the quality of the textures. So in my estimation, if the texture work was not that impressive, why did loadtimes take so long and lod so problematic in the game on consoles?

In any case, me saying textures are not that impressive is not just a matter of opinion, this game run on 2GB GPU's with max texture quality on the PC side with 16xAF without any perceivable stutter, minus the in-game lag, combat and animation issues that existed in the game at release etc...

It looks quite good and it also didn't come out "today". It's a few years old.
Controls are probably what's more outdated in any case
Today's standard would imply the generation tbh....There are alot of nice looking open world games with great texturework that came before HZD, Watchdogs 2....and yes, Arkham is just one of many IMO..

Also, the posters who mentioned MGS5 not having good textures....I don't think the textures on that game was as varied as Witcher 3, but the quality was very good for the world it portrayed.....Ships, deserts et al...

Van Bur3n

Looking at objects closely and noticing a texture quality drop like in many games and deems the texture work throughout the game "very bad". Seems rather exaggerate.

Don't worry, OP has probably said as much in the past.

I recall OP saying the graphics in the Witcher 3 looked like Fable.

e: here it is:

for the sake of completeness I'll also add my response to that:

Pfffh. What even.

BashNasty

I felt like the textures in Witcher 3 were... decent. Overall it was a pretty good looking game.

Sadly it simply was not a good playing game. Nothing in the Witcher 3 felt all that good to do, and that's the reason that I'm still surprised and weirded out that it's like the darling game on NeoGAF.

I can pick a lot of games, zoom in really close and identify how garbage the textures are before applying higher res textures

The problem is these mods fix problems that don't exist but make it seem like there was a problem anyways. Good on the artists for building a portfolio though.

MCD250

I don't know if it's that the texture work was 'bad' so much as there were maybe a few too many unfortunately placed shots highlighting some of the lower quality textures (which are present in any game, especially one as large as this one). But I remember being fairly impressed by some of the textures even on PS4.

pmj

The worst thing about the textures isn't resolution but the warping of things that should be solid on characters as they move, like plate armor deforming as it was cloth when people gesticulate, or Dandelions bendy jewels. Every game seems to suffer from this problem to some extent, but it's on overdrive here.

This game has worse issues though. It's a bit shit in a lot of ways.

Top Bottom