• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's New Plan: Spend way less money, work on smartphones, dev regional games

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
they just announced a hotly anticipated product. FF13-2+All The DLC.

oh-boy.gif

It does not sound like anything has change at all they been saying this for years ,
Until SE can get there game out in timely manner on both sides pond on consoles nothing going to change .

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Though its a totally different consumer base in terms of potential spending. Unless they go and get lucky with some sort of new F2P game.

Vita sales are actually going up domestically along with titles being released. So Id say by next year there would be a potentially decent market. Along with the fact that with the VITA works great for all of those PS classic games which they have 600+? titles of on the JP PSN.

That's nothing it'll be difficult for the Vita to sell more span 10 million in it's entire lifespan. There's a reason why companies choose to ignore it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Reminds me of that comic with the future predictions for this gen where they just sort of made shit up.
I've been trying to find this picture for ages, can anyone link me it?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They have to making money on mobile (they already put a lot of games on it) to embrace it so heavily. .

Actually its just a business model they have been doing for the longest time since they could get games running on the docomo platform here in Japan.

Only difference now is that they smell the "blood in the water" with all these F2P hits out there and want a piece of that action. Esp when you get crazy reports like how much money games like Puzzle & Dragons / Idolmaster and such make within such a short time span vs. production time / cost put in.

Its no surprise considering that Square Enix as of late is a company that always seems to be running back and forth to the latest shiny and not really keeping on with a single thing, which is part of the problem where why they have lost their identity.

The top obviously is filled with a bunch of headless chickens or else we all wouldnt be having these conversations and actually enjoying their games. Not saying all of the "modern" titles are bad, but the so called flagship ones and decisions following them have been questionable.

Parakeetman

That's nothing it'll be difficult for the Vita to sell more span 10 million in it's entire lifespan. There's a reason why companies choose to ignore it.

In the US perhaps, but here in Japan there has been quite the large explosion of developers working on titles for the VITA.

Few of these said titles also allow for cross-platform play between the PSP / PSV, which is another smart move in promoting the VITA to those who do not own one yet.

They are emphasizing turnover of development... Which might not be a good thing.

SE built their rep on releasing polished, high production value games while taking as long as they need on them. That strategy might be changing for the sake of cutting down on development time. We saw what happened with FFXIV when they rushed a game out the door and it wasn't pleasant.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In the US perhaps, but here in Japan there has been quite the large explosion of developers working on titles for the VITA.

Few of these said titles also allow for cross-platform play between the PSP / PSV, which is another smart move in promoting the VITA to those who do not own one yet.

An explosion of titles for the Vita? Funniest thing I've heard all morning.

Parakeetman

An explosion of titles for the Vita? Funniest thing I've heard all morning.

In comparison to what was in development before hand Id say its a massive improvement. Not to mention its actual titles that folks would consider buying. Instead of a lot of the garbage thats been released up until now.

The fact that smaller dev houses are getting on with the system now too shows that there is a slow shift from the PSP onto the VITA. Eventually with how things are in Japan it will continue and similar to with the PS2, the PSP will be phased out and the VITA will be the new replacement. Which makes sense considering how the VITA will interact with the PS4.

This general trend that we are seeing now here, is basically similar to what happened when the PSP started to pick up steam in Japan.

PSP didnt exactly have the best start itself too and all the same sort of negative comments were present. Well besides the more modern obvious ones like the design choices about a touch screen / rear touch pad etc.

One thing for sure is that the VITA has a pretty solid OS which actually beats the PS3 in terms of functionality esp when it comes to downloading / installing games. Which isnt a pain in the ass unlike how the PS3 functions.

Basil

Banned
1. Turn biggest IP into MMO.
2. Release only on platforms with worst online infrastructure.
3. ????
4. Profit.

The weird thing about SE is they already have an engine and assists that could have been used to remake a FF7HD years ago. They could have just used the Final Fantasy 11 engine, monster models and Character models.

The Final Fantasy 11 engine already works on PS3, 360 and PC! Why not re-purpose assists that you've already invested in? The script, music, engine, monster models texture art is already done. It's easy money with relatively little investment.

Square just loves leaving money on the table.

dramatis

World population is only at about 7 billion and they expect over half of them to have smartphones in 2015?

Or is it that they expect one person to own multiple smartphones and buy their games multiple times for each one?

That 'Billion unit' thing has to be an error.

The weird thing about SE is they already have an engine and assists that could have been used to remake a FF7HD years ago. They could have just used the Final Fantasy 11 engine, monster models and Character models.

The Final Fantasy 11 engine already works on PS3, 360 and PC! Why not re-purpose assists that you've already invested in? The script, music, engine, monster models texture art is already done. It's easy money with relatively little investment.

Square just loves leaving money on the table.
You might think it's simple just because they have assets and an existing engine, but it's not. FF11's engine is probably a port over from PS2 days, so it is probably tailored very specifically towards 11 alone. Even Crystal Tools, for all its 'common functions', has to be tailored for FF13, Vs 13, and 14 individually.

Moreover, the audience for 'remake 7' wouldn't like having reused (aged) assets or complain endlessly about choices they would need to make to develop a 7 remake within budget and deadline. The game would never satisfy anybody and putting money into it would not be a wise decision.

UberTag

In comparison to what was in development before hand Id say its a massive improvement. Not to mention its actual titles that folks would consider buying. Instead of a lot of the garbage thats been released up until now.

The fact that smaller dev houses are getting on with the system now too shows that there is a slow shift from the PSP onto the VITA. Eventually with how things are in Japan it will continue and similar to with the PS2, the PSP will be phased out and the VITA will be the new replacement. Which makes sense considering how the VITA will interact with the PS4.

This general trend that we are seeing now here, is basically similar to what happened when the PSP started to pick up steam in Japan.
I'm with you on the VITA front.

Sony handhelds have always outsold Sony consoles in Japan ever since the PSP first took flight and, if anything, there's only reason to believe that trend will continue.

I've gone on record stating that the VITA will sell more units lifetime in Japan than the PS4 will. And I stand by that one.

This should be their strategy:

Release final fantasy 6 and 7 hd editions for ps360 by mid next year
Release next gen final fantasy for Christmas 2014
Release final fantasy tactics hd for handhelds next year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So they're going to kill everything judging by the fact they intend to spend less than they did in the 2000's?

Looks like they are planing on spending more (bigger bubble) with a higher return on that investment than they had during the 2000s.

I'd guess that's possible if they got their shit together, but I don't have any faith that they will actually manage to do it. They've seemed completely mismanaged and clueless for an entire generation now.

Edit: Nevermind, I can't read graphs apparently. I don't know what the size of the bubbles means then since the horizontal axis is amount invested.

Glass Rebel

Looks like they are planing on spending more (bigger bubble) with a higher return on that investment than they had during the 2000s.

I'd guess that's possible if they got their shit together, but I don't have any faith that they will actually manage to do it. They've seemed completely mismanaged and clueless for an entire generation now.

That's a pretty shitty graph then. The x-axis already shows the amount of investment while the bubbles are just to show the ballpark of where they see themselves.

edit: ahah you noticed :)

I'm looking at these reports and what not... but has there been like a call to dial back production values?

I'm wondering are they going to embrace smaller scale project titles to lower costs & meet a 2 year dev cycle all around?

I still get the sense that this isn't being shared/embraced or implied. I mean with next-gen consoles coming s@#$ is only going to get harder to profit back from if you have nothing to rake in $$$ with.

Mario007

Seems like they actually learned nothing and are going to be doing the exact same thing they did for the past few years.

this only mean bad news for jrpg audience right???

-even less JRPG
-almost no chance for non FF/DQ console title
-there will be even less that would leave japan (tailored to consumer taste in specific served region)

at least give me VP3 before this gen end square

Cheebo

Banned
So uhhh who are these people that are going to own that many Smartphones. Do they really fucking think there will be 2.5 billion potential new customers? Are they stupid?

It's not.
well there is almost no one in first world countries that don't old a modern smartphone now. And it is a booming industry in china.

This should be their strategy:

Release final fantasy 6 and 7 hd editions for ps360 by mid next year
Release next gen final fantasy for Christmas 2014
Release final fantasy tactics hd for handhelds next year.

Remaking 6 and 7 for consoles would cost insane amounts of money.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Would people be disappointed if they were done with a fixed camera, top down/iso perspective? That would probably be cheaper and potentially look better. I think it could work really well for FFVI especially.

So I guess we won't have anything on Vita, too powerful for them. Give them nintendo hardware and smartphones. See them drown.

UberTag

Seems like they actually learned nothing and are going to be doing the exact same thing they did for the past few years.
The definition of insanity = chasing the shiny industry fad.

"We can be Call of Duty. We can be Angry Birds. We can be World of Tanks. We can be WOW. We can be Minecraft. We will make a cheap knock-off clone of these things and customers will flock to us with money. What could possibly go wrong?"

Would people be disappointed if they were done with a fixed camera, top down/iso perspective? That would probably be cheaper and potentially look better. I think it could work really well for FFVI especially.

Wouldn't change the fact that they would need to build a entire game from the ground up. There are no assets they could re-use. It will be costly and the money would be better spent working on original stuff.

It would also make them shit loads of money.

Announce both, make one, see how it goes and then make the next one if needed.

It's what the fans want and would pay for.

Then release ff15 6 months later and more money.

Edit: a full remake of 6 or 7 on next gen hardware would be less risky than a new story, new characters, and completely new gameplay mechanics for ff15

Kenka

The most worrying thing is that we are not learning anything about their upcoming plans based on these slides except that they want to cut costs back.

capture64sumg.png

Basically, their MMO/social business hasn't grown significantly in 4 years ? What is the most profitable segment in digital entertainment also ? I assume this would be the most important information to take in account to justify the heavy investment in social gaming while the customer base on the consoles/handhelds were left aside. The answers don't appear on the slides.

Top Bottom