• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's New Plan: Spend way less money, work on smartphones, dev regional games

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's hard to believe that their current schedule for handheld games in Japan is just FF X HD, a game they promised pre Vita launch, and FF X-2 HD a game they unbundled from the PS3 version.

That's it.

They currently have nothing brewing for the clear market leader in Japan.

They've mentioned BD:FF 2 after the surprisingly strong sales numbers showed up, but never officially announced it.

Funny that now it's either AAAAAA game or smartphone game. No more space for medium-tier games apparently.

It's hard to believe that their current schedule for handheld games in Japan is just FF X HD, a game they promised pre Vita launch, and FF X-2 HD a game they unbundled from the PS3 version.

That's it.

They currently have nothing brewing for the clear market leader in Japan.

They've mentioned BD:FF 2 after the surprisingly strong sales numbers showed up, but never officially announced it.

To be fair, they have Gyrozetter for 3DS slated for Summer; a remake of the second DQM is likely coming on the same platform as well given the trademark.
Furthermore, BD:FF is in development, but I do think it didn't start until the first game was released.

thefro

So basically Square Enix to be the next THQ and have their IP sold off piecemeal confirmed.

Hopefully Sakaguchi can get an investor group together to buy the old Square IPs and name in a few years instead of it going to someone like EA/Activision.

Brofist

Seems this is their only strategy of late

MoneyInTheToilet-245x300.png

Pennywise

What a mess. Who could have imagined this type of outcome for Square Enix 7 years ago?
I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.

That would also mean layoffs.
I don't think they need that much developer for a bigger smartphone focus.

dramatis

Here we go:
David Gibson said:
Square Enix saying in game development will pursue less technology or game engine and more in sales and marketing.
And here I thought Luminous Studio was one of the smartest things Square did the last few years. No wonder the hiring page went empty.

I wonder if the studio is going to be disbanded because god forbid Square gets better actual developers than sales and marketing people. When did sales and marketing count as 'game development' in the first place?

Hopefully Sakaguchi can get an investor group together to buy the old Square IPs and name in a few years instead of it going to someone like EA/Activision.

Nintendo, Sony or another Japanese publisher would likely grab all the important IP's before a Western publisher even had a chance.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny that now it's either AAAAAA game or smartphone game. No more space for medium-tier games apparently.

To be fair, they have Gyrozetter for 3DS slated for Summer; a remake of the second DQM is likely coming on the same platform as well given the trademark.
Furthermore, BD:FF is in development, but I do think it didn't start until the first game was released.

Dang I had a nagging suspicion that I had forgotten something, but that's still a sobering proposition, they were churning out DS games left and right after FF III came out.

wrowa

Regional development doesn't sound very encouraging to me. Gives me the impression of a roundabout way of saying "We don't plan to localize as many of our JRPGs anymore." I'm getting the feeling we won't see most of their handheld games in the West anymore, if not someone else picks them up (see Nintendo with Bravely Default). :/

I think looking at smartphone owners as a whole to say look how many of them there are, is just as foolish as mis-managing and spending on their console games. Even if there was a billion Smartphone users around the world it would be hard to extrapolate from that how many are actually buying games. So far Square Enix and others have only done crummy ports of their games for those devices so the ROI was obviously fairly high, but what happens when they sink millions into development of a mobile game? And I don't even think that is their end goal in all of this, I think it is something far more sinister. I bet they feel that mobile users will lap up anything, especially with the name Square Enix on it, so they are most likely going to put the least amount effort possible into Mobile games and just assume people will buy them, and that's a terrible way to treat your brand.

One thing I have never understood is why won't Square Enix take a team and make a 2D Final Fantasy in the vein of FF6 and put that on XBLA, PSN, and even mobile devices, and heck PC? Talk about a ROI! These companies constantly complain about the rising costs of games, but they have no one to blame but themselves, because there are millions out there that would buy a sprite based game for $15-$20. Never understood this fascination that your game has to sell for $60 or it isn't worth it.

Polo67

Square is in a world of trouble if they think they can be successful charging a premium for their lousy mobile games going forward .

Glass Rebel

Still not really comparable to their DS/PSP output.

I mean, what are Matrix, Jupiter or h.a.n.d. doing? There isn't a single Final Fantasy RPG on either system out now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
And here I thought Luminous Studio was one of the smartest things Square did the last few years. No wonder the hiring page went empty.

I wonder if the studio is going to be disbanded because god forbid Square gets better actual developers than sales and marketing people. When did sales and marketing count as 'game development' in the first place?

Yeah... I wonder how much of that engine will now go to waste.

BasilZero

Welp, time to buy a iPad

Hoping for some console releases (mostly on the PS3 since I dont plan to buy anything else any time soon) and portables.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good point... Sony would probably get first dibs since they're a fairly significant minority stockholder in S-E still.

Assuming SE doesn't sell the IPs off themselves and they get auctioned, I don't think Sony would have any advantage over any other company.

That said I doubt things will get so bad for SE that they're forced to sell off Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, etc.

Spiegel

Dang I had a nagging suspicion that I had forgotten something, but that's still a sobering proposition, they were churning out DS games left and right after FF III came out.

You can't complain about their 3DS output

S-E Japan (meaning not Eidos or Taito or shitty colaborations) games released in 2011-2013

3DS - 6
PS3 - 1
360 - 1
PSV - 0
Wii - 2
WiiU - 1
PSP - 3

Game development takes time. And it's pretty obvious that they are working on DQXI and BD2.

Mael

Squenix is living in the past with all their ports and demakes

All the talent has left the company and Eidos is the only saving grace.

lol
see that's what I'm talking about.
Eidos is not saving them at all, it put them even more in the hole.
Eidos wasn't on sale because it was doing great after all.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Square is in a world of trouble if they think they can be successful charging a premium for their lousy mobile games going forward .

They're not lousy, but they are overpriced. If they were half the price they were, they would be making more money in total. They have no idea how the mobile market works.

Glass Rebel

You can't complain about their 3DS output

S-E Japan (meaning not Eidos or Taito or shitty colaborations) games released in 2011-2013

3DS - 6
PS3 - 1
360 - 0
PSV - 0
Wii - 2
WiiU - 1
PSP - 3

Game development takes time.

I assume you mean:

Thatrhythm Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Rocket Slime 3
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Dragon Quest VII

You can't see why one would complain?

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Remember when Square were the king of home consoles?
Shittin' hell they've fallen. It hurts. It really, really does.

Somnid

Also consider Nintendo has been publishing most of their best handheld output and literally building the DQ brand in the West. It's not like Square Enix could be proactive or anything.

Mael

I assume you mean:

Thatrhythm Final Fantasy
Rocket Slime 3
Dragon Quest VII

That's better than what they released for Vita.
I mean come on at least they're doing something...

Spiegel

I assume you mean:

Thatrhythm Final Fantasy
Rocket Slime 3
Dragon Quest VII

No, I can't.

Go and find how many games (and what games) Square-Enix released in the first 2 years on other platforms.

Toski

lol

What would they have to supplement Eidos with? Even in Eidos' incompetent state, its still better than S-E at getting HD games out on all relevant platforms.

I assume you mean:

Thatrhythm Final Fantasy
Rocket Slime 3
Dragon Quest VII

It's not really that bad, launch aligned at this point DS only had:

Egg Monster Heroes
Rocket Slime
Children of Mana
Final Fantasy III
Chocobo Tales
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker

Haunted

Great news for fans of Square-Enix mobile titles, more stuff like All the Bravest!

;_; RIP Square Enix. Your games used to define my teens.

Haunted

lol
I assume he meant saving grace in terms of talent and quality output for gamers, not a financial sense.

Dyno

From the charts it looks like they are not going to grow their console projects and yet they aren't shrinking. Meanwhile new energy and resources are going to be put into the mobile market.

So they are still going to produce their signature console titles, just not look for a lot of new opportunities in that market segment. It make sense considering the pasting they've taken for the entirety of this generation.

Top Bottom