• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's New Plan: Spend way less money, work on smartphones, dev regional games

Pooya

David Gibson ‏@gibbogame 5h

Square Enix planning E3 presentation to make line up clearer. Doing own portfolio of titles review in each region

and this, those tidbits are pretty rough all around, but maybe they have an actual E3 presentation this year?

you can't make all of your line up clear in some one else's conference.

Most of their talented staff left the company long ago.
Just waiting for Asano and his DS / 3DS team to form their own 2nd party Nintendo company at this point.

It's not really that bad, launch aligned at this point DS only had:

Egg Monster Heroes
Rocket Slime
Children of Mana
Final Fantasy III
Chocobo Tales
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker

Square-Enix took a year+ to commit to 3DS. They were focused on PSP at the time prior to realizing DS was going to be more successful.

3DS should have a lot more games.

wrowa

Still not really comparable to their DS/PSP output.

I mean, what are Matrix, Jupiter or h.a.n.d. doing? There isn't a single Final Fantasy RPG on either system out now.

Well, you can take a look at these companies' websites. Matrix seems to be mostly doing iPhone/Android stuff nowadays, they're also still working with SE on the FF franchise (they did FF Dimensions and the FFV "remake"), hand is doing mobile stuff (TWEWY iOS was made by them) and they are apparently code monkeys for other studios (they've been involved with Level 5's Fantasy Life and Girls RPG) and Jupiter seems mostly to be doing downloadable stuff for 3DS/DSi (like ePicross).

I assume you mean:

Thatrhythm Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Rocket Slime 3
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Dragon Quest VII

You can't see why one would complain?

Honestly? No. KH3D didn't turn out as well as anticipated, but apart of that that's a pretty fine list. Heck, there's even a game of an original IP on there, which if certain people are to be believed belongs to the best games SE has put out this generation.

What's missing, exactly? An FF RPG? Is that really the only thing of importance to you? They probably should have called Bravely Default "Final Fantasy: Something something" instead. :p

What's worrying, however, is that the upcoming line-up of announced handheld games is pretty shitty. Oh, and yeah, they aren't interested in bringing over two thirds of that list; that's the real shame.

Mael

I assume he meant saving grace in terms of talent and quality output for gamers, not a financial sense.

This is not a talent thread considering we're discussing something intended for investors anyway.
And for me they've both be equally useless lately (but thankfully for SE, Nintendo will change that)

What would they have to supplement Eidos with? Even in Eidos' incompetent state, its still better than S-E at getting HD games out on all relevant platforms.

It's not better, it's in a shitter. If SE didn't come to pick them up they would have disappeared anyway, I don't see how that's better than SE that can't bankrupt themselve like Eidos was doing.

I don't speak Japanese, sadly.

You mean your 3DS doesn't, amirite?

In comparison to what was in development before hand Id say its a massive improvement. Not to mention its actual titles that folks would consider buying. Instead of a lot of the garbage thats been released up until now.

There's nothing announced for the platform that will even break 150K retail in Japan (maybe 175K or so with digital included), and only a handful that might even approach that. Well, GE2 has a shot at selling better if Sony makes a big enough push for the Vita version, but that's it.

At least Bravely Default is managing to make it over before they come crashing down.
No thanks to SE themselves.

Nintendo should just start sublicensing or even buying off their "lesser" brands (Mana, Ogre, SaGa, Actraiser, Bravely Default, Soulblazer, Front Mission, etc) and start working with expatriot studios like Monolith, Grezzo, Mistwalker, MAQL, Alphadream, etc, on the games. And start up a new studio for Kawazu.

Your future:

352177.gif

Jinko

From the charts it looks like they are not going to grow their console projects and yet they aren't shrinking. Meanwhile new energy and resources are going to be put into the mobile market.

So they are still going to produce their signature console titles, just not look for a lot of new opportunities in that market segment. It make sense considering the pasting they've taken for the entirety of this generation.

Hmm they should focus on trying to speed production up instead IMO, diverting more resources else where without fixing the main issue is just asking for trouble.

sublimit

Banned
What would they have to supplement Eidos with? Even in Eidos' incompetent state, its still better than S-E at getting HD games out on all relevant platforms.

Yes they were getting HD games out but at what cost?Their games are very expensive and they don't bring back profit for SE.
Eidos was sucking SE's pockets without giving a fuck if they were going to bring all that money back.

Square-Enix took a year+ to commit to 3DS. They were focused on PSP at the time prior to realizing DS was going to be more successful.

During the same window PSP got:

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Itadaki Street Portable
Advent Children FFVII (UMD Video)

Spiegel

They were so focused on PSP that it took S-E 15 months to release their first game (Valkyrie Profile port), 29 months for the system to get a non-port (FFI remake) and 34 months for the first original game (Crisis Core).

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I'm going to wait first for the results of their hd development overhaul, and judge after that. We might be criticizing their strategy, and with reason, but if japanese devs get to finally release good products in a timely fashion, chances are, people will stop caring about how many smartphone games SE makes.

We say we just want good products from them, but surely, that's what their developers want as well. And there's still a lot of talent there, and a massive rpg development tradition that won't suddenly stop existing; it's just crippled by internal development problems. If these get fixed, chances are, most of our problems with the company will stop existing.

Jinko

Yes they were getting HD games out but at what cost?Their games are very expensive and they don't bring back profit for SE.
Eidos was sucking SE's pockets without giving a fuck if they were going to bring all that money back.

Really, Edios were doing that ?

They are still several times more competent than SE's in house dev teams ...although that's not saying much tbh.

Nintendo making a bid for DQ and Sony taking the rest seems like a good split to me.
No, several other classic brands (Ogre, Mana, Quintet, SaGa, etc) would have much more relevance under Nintendo than they would Sony, even if only due to retro releases digitally. Nintendo actually works with tons of ex-Square startups too, while SCE really doesn't so much.

Jinko

I wonder what this means for the JRPG genre. Square has been the leader in that arena for so long.

Not in the last generation, I would say smaller companies like NIS, Atlus, Level 5 and Gust have been putting out better offerings.

SE's latest reports for Hitman,Tomb Raider and Sleeping dogs confirmed that.

Well Edios had been teetering close to insolvency for a long while, but SE were stupid enough to buy them and hope to fix it, so its still SE's miscalculation.

NeonZ

It always seemed kind of weird to me how the side of SE handling Dragon Quest always seemed completely different from the side handling Final Fantasy and other Square franchises. I guess internally the staff of each company continued completely separate? I wonder what this change of direction means for the Dragon Quest side...

Well, you can take a look at these companies' websites. Matrix seems to be mostly doing iPhone/Android stuff nowadays, they're also still working with SE on the FF franchise (they did FF Dimensions and the FFV "remake"), hand is doing mobile stuff (TWEWY iOS was made by them) and they are apparently code monkeys for other studios (they've been involved with Level 5's Fantasy Life and Girls RPG) and Jupiter seems mostly to be doing downloadable stuff for 3DS/DSi (like ePicross).

That's the issue. These three studios ensured a decent stream of software on DS and they could have done the same on 3DS. Instead they're doing small-scale stuff and port-jobs. Just sad.

Honestly? No. KH3D didn't turn out as well as anticipated, but apart of that that's a pretty fine list. Heck, there's even a game of an original IP on there, which if certain people are to be believed belongs to the best games SE has put out this generation.

What's missing, exactly? An FF RPG? Is that really the only thing of importance to you? They probably should have called Bravely Default "Final Fantasy: Something something" instead. :p

What's worrying, however, is that the upcoming line-up of announced handheld games is pretty shitty. Oh, and yeah, they aren't interested in bringing over two thirds of that list; that's the real shame.

The fact that there's no Final Fantasy RPG on 3DS (not even announced) is baffling in itself but no, that's not my problem with this. You even mention it yourself, after KH3D they haven't released any game in the West and we have to rely on Nintendo for Bravely Default. That's pretty pathetic for a global company. Compare that to Atlus who will have all their RPGs available for NA and Europe.

Lime

Someone should make a timeline of the White Engine -> Crystal Tools -> Luminous Engine perhaps including budget/workforce allocations

What a clusterfuck of mismanagement.

What a mess. Who could have imagined this type of outcome for Square Enix 7 years ago?
I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.

I'm very scared of what "regional" means.

Probably even less localized games...

Toski

It's not better, it's in a shitter. If SE didn't come to pick them up they would have disappeared anyway, I don't see how that's better than SE that can't bankrupt themselve like Eidos was doing.

What was going to fund the rebuild of FFXIV? As far as I can see, Hitman: Absolution and the Tomb Raider reboot didn't hit projections, but they still were relevant and put S-E's name on games in the West. If it weren't for Eidos, S-E would be irrelevant in the West (IMO). Eidos maybe expensive, but whats more expensive is the failed development and rebuild of FFXIV, the constant delays to Versus, and letting Kingdom Hearts whither and die. I think if S-E didn't have Eidos, the situation would be much worse.

That's the issue. These three studios ensured a decent stream of software on DS and they could have done the same on 3DS. Instead they're doing small-scale stuff and port-jobs. Just sad.
Isn't Matrix involved with DQVII 3DS? They were with the very similar DQV PS2, as well as the DS remake trilogy iirc.

I like Matrix but I don't think moving to Silicon Studio for BDFF was a bad decision at all. And Matrix was by far the most prolific of the 3 you mentioned, all Jupiter did for SE on DS was TWEWY and all h.a.n.d. did was Chocobo games.

Cornbread78

Stop bumping this thread, I just keep gettign sadder and sadder each time I see it... I need to make it through my work day....

I don't think focusing on smartphones and "regional" content is going to help them very much at all. Just make the games people want to play.

Out of curiosity, which "games people want to play" are you referring to? I'm not sure there's an easy answer to that question anymore, given the increasing divergence of the Western and Japanese markets.

Negator

I suppose it's finally time to let go. The glory days are over and never coming back.

Such a shame. They are so misguided about what their customers want, and completely lost their core competency.

This sounds REALLY bad! I wonder whats going to happen to Final Fantasy Versus13 now? I wonder if Square will just terminate the contract with Sony to make it exclusive?? Since they are nuking Luminous engine now, I doubt they care about PS4 adoption rate in Japan.

I just want to play Versus13, I could care less about this company afterwards.

Celine

No thanks to SE themselves.

Nintendo should just start sublicensing or even buying off their "lesser" brands (Mana, Ogre, SaGa, Actraiser, Bravely Default, Soulblazer, Front Mission, etc) and start working with expatriot studios like Monolith, Grezzo, Mistwalker, MAQL, Alphadream, etc, on the games. And start up a new studio for Kawazu.
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Recently I dreamt that Level-5 would asks to ex-Quintent developers (Hashimoto, Miyazaki, Koshiro) to develop a new 2D action RPG for an eventual Guild03.

I don't think so. Their official site doesn't mention it and the mainline DQ remakes have been handled by ArtePiazza for a while.
Co-developed by Arte Piazza, until recently they were mainly just a planning/support company and not capable of full development on their own. Matrix doesn't list any of the DQ remakes on their site except DQV PS2 but if you dig through the credits you'll find them (at least in DQIV DS iirc). I assumed it might be the same for DQVII, but maybe someone who's actually beaten the game can confirm?

sublimit

Banned
What was going to fund the rebuild of FFXIV? As far as I can see, Hitman: Absolution and the Tomb Raider reboot didn't hit projections, but they still were relevant and put S-E's name on games in the West. If it weren't for Eidos, S-E would be irrelevant in the West (IMO). Eidos maybe expensive, but whats more expensive is the failed development and rebuild of FFXIV, the constant delays to Versus, and letting Kingdom Hearts whither and die. I think if S-E didn't have Eidos, the situation would be much worse.

I wasn't saying the Japanese section was doing much better or that they were free of blame.And i agree about FFXIV being a huge and risky money eating project.
It's just that i don't see Eidos as the white knight who saved SE like some people think they did.There was a price to pay for their output and that price was way too high IMO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Out of curiosity, which "games people want to play" are you referring to? I'm not sure there's an easy answer to that question anymore, given the increasing divergence of the Western and Japanese markets.

Even if such a game exists, there's also an open question if Square Enix is even capable of making that game anymore.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I woder what this means for a localized Drakengard 3.

MotherFan

Well, guess this confirms TWEWY2 will be mobile? What a mess. How did SE manage to run itself into the ground this gen? What was the thought process?

Top Bottom