• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

SOLDIER

Not sure if I'm doing it right:

ObwhuPq.jpg

I still get the notification update after this.

Bump.

golem

I mean I don't have that device so I can't be sure since it's not something I've used... but it looks like you've entered some names into the block list and then set it to never block anything.

Yeah, SOLDIER you need to set keyword blocking to always

Seik

Banned
Fuuuuuck I updated my B6 last week, I'm in Canada.

Am I screwed? Last page sounds reassuring but I want confirmations because I still have to pay 1300$ on the thing and if they really dropped the absolute black I'll do everything I can to downgrade it to its previous version.

SOLDIER

Yeah, SOLDIER you need to set keyword blocking to always

I figured that was the case. I just didn't want to enable something by mistake that would mess up my router.

Anyway, I still get the update notification. Is there a specific website string I should be blocking?

killroy87

Am I screwed? Last page sounds reassuring but I want confirmations because I still have to pay 1300$ on the thing and if they really dropped the absolute black I'll do everything I can to downgrade it to its previous version.

I'm in Canada too. I don't think that would matter for update versions, would it? Wouldn't the number be the same on all?

Crimson Flam3s

Neo Member
So did the B6 series get affected by the DIM HDR update as well?

I know that it was always dimmer than the c/e series but I am reading mixed stuff online some say that it is and some say it isn't and my tv keeps annoying me to update... Otherwise I'll just block LG's update servers in my router.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
So did the B6 series get affected by the DIM HDR update as well?

I know that it was always dimmer than the c/e series but I am reading mixed stuff online some say that it is and some say it isn't and my tv keeps annoying me to update... Otherwise I'll just block LG's update servers in my router.

The B6 got dimmed in a much earlier update than the other models. The non-dimmed firmware goes way back to pretty much when the HDR game mode was first introduced. I think someone uploaded it to avsforums message boards, but I don't know how much luck people have rolling back to it.

The B6 got dimmed in a much earlier update than the other models. The non-dimmed firmware goes way back to pretty much when the HDR game mode was first introduced. I think someone uploaded it to avsforums message boards, but I don't know how much luck people have rolling back to it.

Yeah, I tried to play Infamous: Second Son with HDR on my B6 a month or two ago and it was unplayable, because it was so dark. I was wondering if I was using the wrong RGB setting, but switching between limited and full didn't make a big difference in that case. As soon as it got dark in-game, you couldn't see much in the non-lit areas. Even with dynamic contrast it wasn't that great.

That said, I'm still not sure if everything it setup correctly on my end. I used the settings from the DF video, but it hasn't been calibrated. Even then I wouldn't say that I'm entirely happy with the settings from DF video. At the time I couldn't find any other guide, though. I'm on 04.31.12 from May.

iggy_poop

Neo Member

I made a repo with the LGDTVUpdater preconfigured to downgrade B6 models from North America. I bought my TV in Canada so I can confirm it works for Canadians.

I credited all the people I remember reading info from to make the repo, including users earlier in this thread so thanks again guys!

Hope this helps some people in here. I already posted it on the AVS forums and it help a few people there.

github.com/joey-astrologo/OLED55-65B6-Downgrade

Yeah, I tried to play Infamous: Second Son with HDR on my B6 a month or two ago and it was unplayable, because it was so dark. I was wondering if I was using the wrong RGB setting, but switching between limited and full didn't make a big difference in that case. As soon as it got dark in-game, you couldn't see much in the non-lit areas. Even with dynamic contrast it wasn't that great.

That said, I'm still not sure if everything it setup correctly on my end. I used the settings from the DF video, but it hasn't been calibrated. Even then I wouldn't say that I'm entirely happy with the settings from DF video. At the time I couldn't find any other guide, though. I'm on 04.31.12 from May.

Infamous SS has one of the worst HDR implementations imho. While the specular highlights look really nice, all the darker shades are crushed to hell and back. The developers later added some additional contrast and brightness options which help a bit, but the game still crushes a lot.

Infamous SS has one of the worst HDR implementations imho. While the specular highlights look really nice, all the darker shades are crushed to hell and back. The developers later added some additional contrast and brightness options which help a bit, but the game still crushes a lot.

I'm relieved to hear that, actually. :D

I'll take another look when I get around to play Horizon (hopefully this year or so).

I still got banding issues when I play on my HTPC, but that could be due to a number of reasons (Nvidia drivers, Steam in-home streaming limitation). Haven't got the time and motivation yet to get down to it.

glow

Banned
I made a repo with the LGDTVUpdater preconfigured to downgrade B6 models from North America. I bought my TV in Canada so I can confirm it works for Canadians.

I credited all the people I remember reading info from to make the repo, including users earlier in this thread so thanks again guys!

Hope this helps some people in here. I already posted it on the AVS forums and it help a few people there.

github.com/joey-astrologo/OLED55-65B6-Downgrade

Thank you so much for doing this. Much appreciated

Smokey

Just got the B6 out of no where during a trip to Best Buy. Open Box 1 week, 65'' - $1,500. This is a huge thread, can somebody sum up what I need to do to get this in optimal shape as far as settings, firmware etc? Should I not upgrade to the newest version? Have yet to turn TV on at the house, still getting stuff plugged in.

Change in background image of no signal screen
R.I.P. Dog, Mountain, Flower and Mushroom.

Welcome Houses near nature and water #1, Houses near nature and water #2, Houses near nature and water #3 and Houses near nature and water #4

:(

e90Mark

Just got the B6 out of no where during a trip to Best Buy. Open Box 1 week, 65'' - $1,500. This is a huge thread, can somebody sum up what I need to do to get this in optimal shape as far as settings, firmware etc? Should I not upgrade to the newest version? Have yet to turn TV on at the house, still getting stuff plugged in.

Basically, don't update if you get a prompt. That's it, lol. Hopefully, it's not on 5.x.xx

SilentRob

I hope you guys have contacted LG and made them aware of your displeasure about the HDR gaming update. I know I did - I know tend to play games in HDR Standard Mode with a little big of lag because quite often I don't even see much of a difference between HDR Game Mode and Non-HDR-mode. It's a travesty.

I understand that under perfect conditions in some LG lab this is probably looking "better", but LG has to accept that their customers think differentely. Even with dynamic contrast on I have to push the brightness to full in pretty much every game and even then it's absolutely no comparison to how great the Standard mode looks.

It's incredibly frustrating.

NYR

If anyone has the E6 LGUpdater file, I could use that. I managed to get the TV to recognize the firmware but when it is downgrade, it errors out.

Smokey

Basically, don't update if you get a prompt. That's it, lol. Hopefully, it's not on 5.x.xx

Doesn't the update provide reduced lag and HDR improvements? Also are there certain ports I should be using? Just have a direct box and PS4 pro at, although I may try my PC.

e90Mark

Doesn't the update provide reduced lag and HDR improvements? Also are there certain ports I should be using? Just have a direct box and PS4 pro at, although I may try my PC.

It provides raised blacks. No point going past 04.31.20 if you can help it. In the TV OT/AVSForums, you'll see multiple people trying to downgrade from the latest 5.xx.xx firmware.

All ports are fully capable. No need to use a specific one. Just enable HDMI Deep Color for anything that will utilize HDR.

Crimson Flam3s

Neo Member

Oh I see now, I thought that the B6 got dimmed before the HDR game mode update and It was forever doomed to be like that if you wanted low hdr input lag.

In that case I should be fine, my tv is still in the 4.31.20 version.

I'm still really curious to see how much is the difference between 4.31 and the latest patch. Youtube comparisons show that dynamic contrast makes it look really similar but a camera recorded comparison is not optimal without mentioning that dynamic contrast would logically decrease image/color? accuracy which HDR is supposed to improve.

Weevilone

Added those, still getting the update notification.

Pretty sure I'm doing it right this time: I copy/pasted the links, checked ”always" as a block option, hit apply.

Your router very well may suck, unless you have the TV in DMZ or something crazy. That absolutely stopped it on my Sophos.

Smokey

It provides raised blacks. No point going past 04.31.20 if you can help it. In the TV OT/AVSForums, you'll see multiple people trying to downgrade from the latest 5.xx.xx firmware.

All ports are fully capable. No need to use a specific one. Just enable HDMI Deep Color for anything that will utilize HDR.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Right now I can't do shit on the TV. The remote that came with it is incompatible. I need a AN-MR650 and the remote that came with the TV is AN-MR650A. Some buttons work but the "OK" button does not, and so I can't do anything but look a the store demo :/. Bought LG Universal and that didn't work either, so going to have to order the 650 directly from LG.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So is 05.30.03 one of the bad firmwares? Just popped up on my German unit and I'm not going to touch it due to potential raised blacks.

Lucifon

So is 05.30.03 one of the bad firmwares? Just popped up on my German unit and I'm not going to touch it due to potential raised blacks.
My UK unit also just started asking if I want to update. Is this the one to avoid? I started to wonder based on some conversations here if the update people were unhappy with with the dim hdr game mode was what us EU folks have experienced for a while now.

Kyoufu

I'm on 05.30.10, blacks are as inky as ever.

It's the dim HDR Game mode that's the problem for me. Not sure if that was because of the latest firmware or an older one.

Either way, don't update your TV.

Afrikan

There was a Youtube update on my C6. I don't know what it was for. I was hoping it for support of HDR, but when I load up some youtube HDR videos.. nothing differet.

Picture Mode options just show the usual settings. Not the ones you get if content was in HDR.

Lucifon

I'm on 05.30.10, blacks are as inky as ever.

It's the dim HDR Game mode that's the problem for me. Not sure if that was because of the latest firmware or an older one.

Either way, don't update your TV.

I have a suspicion US folk got the HDR Game Dimming update recently whereas us EU people have had it a while. There was a period where a few of us, including myself, complained about the HDR Game being very dim and disappointing when it finally arrived months later than the US over here. But plenty responded basically saying 'I don't know what you're talking about it looks great to me'.

Now fast forward a few months and there's suddenly a LOT of complaints of dim HDR Game Mode from the latest update, something which in the EU we've had for a while now unless of course things have got even dimmer (I haven't updated yet).

Just a guess but I'm not certain!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There was a Youtube update on my C6. I don't know what it was for. I was hoping it for support of HDR, but when I load up some youtube HDR videos.. nothing differet.

Picture Mode options just show the usual settings. Not the ones you get if content was in HDR.

Yeah, same. Was hoping it would finally get the HDR update.

The Lamp

I have a 2017 B7A. Are these HDR problems occurring in these newer sets? I'm considering disconnecting the TV from the internet

SOLDIER

For you E6 users lucky enough to score an SNES Classic...recommended picture settings?

note: not interested in CRT settings. I like my classic games sharp and crisp.

Crimson Flam3s

Neo Member
Thanks, much appreciated.

Right now I can't do shit on the TV. The remote that came with it is incompatible. I need a AN-MR650 and the remote that came with the TV is AN-MR650A. Some buttons work but the "OK" button does not, and so I can't do anything but look a the store demo :/. Bought LG Universal and that didn't work either, so going to have to order the 650 directly from LG.

A little advice for you or anyone else using this tv on a pc:

Enabling deep color output will make the screen flicker non stop, sometimes extremely often and sometimes every few odd minutes, I am not sure if it's windows or lg's fault but if you are playing any HDR games on pc then you won't be able to since the setting needs to be off for it not to blink.

Luckily I found a workaround, use only hdmi 3 or 4, for some reason they do not make the screen flicker when using it with a pc when deep color output is enabled. HDMI 1 and 2 should be left for consoles or whatever other devices you want to connect.

Top Bottom