• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
A little advice for you or anyone else using this tv on a pc:

Enabling deep color output will make the screen flicker non stop, sometimes extremely often and sometimes every few odd minutes, I am not sure if it's windows or lg's fault but if you are playing any HDR games on pc then you won't be able to since the setting needs to be off for it not to blink.

Luckily I found a workaround, use only hdmi 3 or 4, for some reason they do not make the screen flicker when using it with a pc when deep color output is enabled. HDMI 1 and 2 should be left for consoles or whatever other devices you want to connect.
I had this issue until I got a new HDMI cable that I was certain was the newest spec and it disappeared.

The Lamp

I could return the TV and get the Sony OLED but I'm not paying $1000 more for a brighter HDR setting.

Some users at AVS have tinkered with the HDR settings to make it work well so I guess I'll just have to do that since I can't downgrade my B7 (I checked and it's 3.60+ and I didn't get a prompt or ask it to do that) and LG isn't fucking giving a shit about what we think

Jakabok

Figured I'd ask this in here. I have a 2016 LG LCD (49UH770V - UK model) that uses the same firmware as the B6. Does anyone know if upgrading this set to 5.30.03 will make the HDR Game mode darker like the OLED panels??

holygeesus

Banned
That was pre current c/b7 firmware. That review was done before the HDR brightness was brought down on all modes and made borderline unusable on game mode.

All other HDR modes are still more impressive on the LG sets, due to their less aggressive approach to ABL. It is only Game mode that has been nerfed, hence my 'overall' caveat in there.

Kyoufu

All other HDR modes are still more impressive on the LG sets, due to their less aggressive approach to ABL. It is only Game mode that has been nerfed, hence my 'overall' caveat in there.

I don't get your point. If it's dim for gaming then it's useless. He's better off with any other TV for video games.

holygeesus

Banned
I don't get your point. If it's dim for gaming then it's useless. He's better off with any other TV for video games.

If you only use your TV or gaming? Sure. Then again, the LG offers less gaming lag too so it's still a compromise. If you are willing to spend 1K extra for a slightly brighter, less responsive, gaming only TV then fair enough.

SilentRob

I returned my LG 4K tv because the HDR Game mode was pretty much unusable since game looked better without it activated. I find it incredible that LG destroyed their TVs for people using it for games without giving any choice to consumers. Now got the Sony KD-55XE7004 and happy so far, but I'll have to see how it is the next few weeks.

Jamiaro

Every time I put the TV on (B6 here), it asks me to donwload the latest patch, the 05.30.xx one. Is there some way to make this go away? I will not download the patch, I like my HDR-game mode. :/

el3m

Neo Member
Every time I put the TV on (B6 here), it asks me to donwload the latest patch, the 05.30.xx one. Is there some way to make this go away? I will not download the patch, I like my HDR-game mode. :/

FWIW i just updated my B6 to 05.30.03 and don't see any difference in HDR Game. The previous firmware was 04.XX. The picture was bright (tested with Horizon Zero Dawn)

There's lots of misleading discussion about various models, I think there's at least three different combinations of HDR Game status:

1. B6
2. Other 2016 models, C6, E6 etc.
3. 2017 Models

It's hard to pinpoint what issues actually impact which model.

Jamiaro

FWIW i just updated my B6 to 05.30.03 and don't see any difference in HDR Game. The previous firmware was 04.XX. The picture was bright (tested with Horizon Zero Dawn)

There's lots of misleading discussion about various models, I think there's at least three different combinations of HDR Game status:

1. B6
2. Other 2016 models, C6, E6 etc.
3. 2017 Models

It's hard to pinpoint what issues actually impact which model.

Okay, thanks for the info.

Crimson Flam3s

Neo Member
I had this issue until I got a new HDMI cable that I was certain was the newest spec and it disappeared.

That's weird, and it's plugged into the same old port?

The cable's I tried on mine were latest spec and 2 that were a little bit older but still hdmi 2.0 rated. Still doesn't make sense why hdmi ports 3 and 4 would not have this issue.

Codiox

I returned my LG 4K tv because the HDR Game mode was pretty much unusable since game looked better without it activated. I find it incredible that LG destroyed their TVs for people using it for games without giving any choice to consumers. Now got the Sony KD-55XE7004 and happy so far, but I'll have to see how it is the next few weeks.

Im sorry for you because I had the same problem and it's easily fixable if you change the settings. Yesterday I tried Horizon for the first time in 4k and hdr and it was mindblowing. The xe7004 stands no chance against the LG.

Xiofire

My LG B6 auto updated last night and now anything in HDR on my PS4 is really faded in terms of colour saturation. Netflix looks really drab unless I crank the colour slider to about 75 - 80.
Who the hell passes these changes at LG? Are they trying to force an upgrade or something?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's weird, and it's plugged into the same old port?

The cable's I tried on mine were latest spec and 2 that were a little bit older but still hdmi 2.0 rated. Still doesn't make sense why hdmi ports 3 and 4 would not have this issue.

I had used the HDMI cable that came with my PS4 pro without issue. I got 2 cords from amazon listed as "latest spec" and i remember checking and it looked like the newest highest spec cables possible (i needed longer cables) and they both had the cutting out issue.

Finally, I ordered 2 from Mono price, both 18Gbps

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428

and on the same ports all of the issues disappeared.

For what its worth, this was on the C6, i don't know if your TV would be different.

My LG B6 auto updated last night and now anything in HDR on my PS4 is really faded in terms of colour saturation. Netflix looks really drab unless I crank the colour slider to about 75 - 80.
Who the hell passes these changes at LG? Are they trying to force an upgrade or something?

I've heard rumor that it is because bright screen + static elements are the perfect situation for burn in to appear, and OLED is particularly burn in prone. They're trying to evade that perception (OLEDs have awful burn in!) by limiting the brightness on game mode which is likely to have static elements.

Ein Bear

Any word as of yet if it's safe to download the latest B6 update in Europe?

We've been stuck with the dim gaming HDR mode all along anyway, so I'm not sure how they could make it worse.

Any word as of yet if it's safe to download the latest B6 update in Europe?

We've been stuck with the dim gaming HDR mode all along anyway, so I'm not sure how they could make it worse.

Buy a C6 or E6 to find out.

And I would wait with upgrading since there are lots of reports that the newest B6 firmware elevates black levels (the blacks start to glow in a dark room).

Jamiaro

Well, I just downloaded the update for my B6 (in Finland, in case it's regional).

NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. :)

Edit: at least so far, I was really surprised that the screen did not turn darker.

Deepo

I have the C6, but the C7 just got discounted in my country. Worth the upgrade? I'm almost considering it based on the fact that it has 4 HDMI ports instead of 3 on my C6, so I can have all my devices hooked up at once. Don't want to deal with a receiver in the middle due to potential HDR/4K headaches.

Am I reading it right that the 2017 models have gotten the dim Game Mode as well now?

Has anyone with a Verizon FIOS router been able to block the LG update servers?

I thought I blocked it correctly, but I keep getting the obnoxious request to update. I must be doing something wrong.

I SAID NO LG GOSH

el3m

Neo Member
Well, I just downloaded the update for my B6 (in Finland, in case it's regional).

Edit: at least so far, I was really surprised that the screen did not turn darker.

I'm a Finn as well, so a least here there seems to be no problems with B6 HDR Game after the 05.30.03 update :)

Bustanen

Phew. That's good news then. Wasn't sure about upgrading until now.

I'm a Finn as well, so a least here there seems to be no problems with B6 HDR Game after the 05.30.03 update :)
The HDR Game mode was dimmer all along in EU. The new update ruins the perfect blacks on B6.

As for HDR game mode and firmware update, my 65B6 is at 04.31.10.

I have automatic downloads disabled and at the moment it's not even connected to the internet. Dark HDR game mode since I was able to try it out. No idea if it used to be good on the European B6.

And yeah, it's only about HDR game mode. The other HDR modes are plenty bright.

ss_lemonade

A little advice for you or anyone else using this tv on a pc:

Enabling deep color output will make the screen flicker non stop, sometimes extremely often and sometimes every few odd minutes, I am not sure if it's windows or lg's fault but if you are playing any HDR games on pc then you won't be able to since the setting needs to be off for it not to blink.

Luckily I found a workaround, use only hdmi 3 or 4, for some reason they do not make the screen flicker when using it with a pc when deep color output is enabled. HDMI 1 and 2 should be left for consoles or whatever other devices you want to connect.
My Samsung ks9000 does the same with my ps3, but only with one or two of my hdmi cables. Other cables produce flickering as well as white noise with my bluray player, but only with hdr content so things can be very hit or miss when it comes to certain HDMI cables and deep color/hdr

Smokey

I have a LG B6 with 5.30.03 and it doesn't have any problems with HDR. It's bright and detailed.

HDR Game Mode. Theres a difference between the standard HDR modes and HDR Game Mode. I find it really hard to believe anybody finds HDR Game Mode "bright".

Xiofire

After being annoyed with the image changes with the latest 5.30.03 firmware, I decided to put the time in, read up and downgrade my LG B6 back to 4.31.10 and the difference is night and day!
Blacks aren't washed out anymore and the colour's are back to suitable levels of saturation.

I've now blocked the LG update servers on my router and will hold off on anymore updates going forward. I have no idea why LG are so hell bent on ruining such a great TV.

killroy87

After being annoyed with the image changes with the latest 5.30.03 firmware, I decided to put the time in, read up and downgrade my LG B6 back to 4.31.10 and the difference is night and day!
Blacks aren't washed out anymore and the colour's are back to suitable levels of saturation.

I've now blocked the LG update servers on my router and will hold off on anymore updates going forward. I have no idea why LG are so hell bent on ruining such a great TV.
How do you do that? I want to get back to the good stuff too.

Xiofire

How do you do that? I want to get back to the good stuff too.

I'm not sure what the rules are as far as linking to AVSForums, but I'll quote the guide so you can easily Google the instructions/download the tools from there.

rebel_scum said:
1. Download the latest version of LGDTVUpDater:
Файл из Облака Mail.Ru

2. Unzip that into your C: drive.

3. Go into the LGDTVUpDater folder and then the dns folder. Open the AcrylicHosts file and change ALL instances of 192.168.0.11 to your computer's own IP address, (NOT your router's IP address). BTW, leave the two hashtags present.

If you don't know your IP address, go to the Run option on your computer. Type in cmd. This will bring up a command box. type in ipconfig and hit enter. Your IP address is beside the IPv4 Address heading.

Now save what you've done and close the AcrylicHosts file. Exit the dns folder.

4. Go into the zagotovki folder and then Online-> 2016-> UH700, UH770, OLED B6-> 04_30_50_RU_UA, (as that's the file that's applicable to the UK B6V model).

5. Copy that file named HE_DTV_W16K_AFADABAA. Exit.
6. Go into the htdocs folder and paste the above file. Exit.
7. Click on the startdns file. It will open a command box. Do not close this.
8. Click on the startHTTP file. It will also open a command box. Do not close this either.

9. Go into your TV's Network menu, and then Wi-Fi Connection->Advanced Wi-Fi Settings->Edit

Untick 'Set Automatically'

Go to the DNS SERVER field and change that to YOUR OWN IP ADDRESS, (remember?).

Connect.

Exit.

10. Go into the General menu-> About This TV-> Check For Updates, (make sure the auto update box is unticked here).

The TV should find the 04.30.50 firmware, and ask if you want to install it. Once you've accepted and installed, turn the TV off and then on again to activate it.

To update to the most recent official firmware, just quit out of everything on your computer, (make sure the two command boxes are now closed), and search for firmware updates via the TV's menu.

As far as the blocking goes, look up how to block snu.lge.com on your router and it should block all future updates from LG.

NYR

Successfully downgraded to 04.30.95 on my Canadian LG E6.

Took a couple of tries and file modifications, I’m shocked how many different versions of steps there are to downgrade. I had to go through a combo to finally to get it to work. I’m almost tempted to write my own steps, lol. I found I was getting caught on the file modification step of HE_DTV_W16M_AFADATAA - you have to put in your computers DNS server address twice in the file, that step is missing in some of the guides.

So happy with HDR game mode, it looks impeccable now, matches HDR Standard spot on, no dimming.

The Lamp

So you can't downgrade the 2017 models. And mine came with the firmware that fucks up HDR Game mode. Great.

Well someone at AVS has a temporary fix.

If you change the icon of your HDMI input on your B7/C7/etc to PC, the TV will actually change the way it treats that input. Apparently switching it to PC will give you that 21 ms response time while letting you use any of the HDR modes, like HDR Standard. The trade-off is that the advanced settings are no longer changeable. It's the sacrifice for global 21 ms. But the poster who said this also has recommended settings.

I don't know very much about TV calibration but I can confirm that the tuning the HDR Standard mode to his settings looks really nice and restores the brightness without crushing blacks with active dynamic contrast.

Edit: apparently the colors still aren't correct but I can't tell :/
Edit: apparently the colors for PC HDR are fixed with 3.6 webOS

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php#/topics/0?postid=54814664

Used 3.60.15 and no issue. And now on Korean site 3.60.25. No issue.

Do you have a reference point to compare as in older firmware? Because you apparently have the golden c7 that everyone else seems to want and cannot have.

Friend of mine noticed from 50 to 60 firmware change IMMEDIATELY. Didn’t believe him until I saw it for myself which prompted me to read about it basically everywhere.

SilentRob

Im sorry for you because I had the same problem and it's easily fixable if you change the settings. Yesterday I tried Horizon for the first time in 4k and hdr and it was mindblowing. The xe7004 stands no chance against the LG.

I mean, I'm happy for you, but short of changing the firmware there is nothing you could do. The "Just put Dynamic Contrast on High" fix is laughable at best and I don't plan on managing the firmware of my TV. Or I might can't even downgrade in the first place since I got a 2017 model? Yeah. Fuck that.

Codiox

I mean, I'm happy for you, but short of changing the firmware there is nothing you could do. The "Just put Dynamic Contrast on High" fix is laughable at best and I don't plan on managing the firmware of my TV. Or I might can't even downgrade in the first place since I got a 2017 model? Yeah. Fuck that.

I'm on the latest firmware and it looks stunning after I configured the picture right. No downgrade whatsoever.

SilentRob

I'm on the latest firmware and it looks stunning after I configured the picture right. No downgrade whatsoever.

Again, I'm happy for you but i don't know what there is to discuss. LG dimmed the HDR Game mode and they themselves had one tip and that was to put "Dynamic Contrast" to High. It's great you found a setting you are happy with but the difference to the Standard HDR setting was obvious and not changeable, no matter what options you try to change at least on the TV I had. And that experience seems to be one that many, many consumers and journalists had.

Maybe you have an OLED? Can't really argue with that since I had a LCD.

He is correct for the UK. We got the HDR Game Mode late and by that time it was already dim so we have never had it bright.

Depends on the model maybe? I had a perfectly good looking HDR game mode on my E6 until the most recent HLG update which made it super dim...

Again, I'm happy for you but i don't know what there is to discuss. LG dimmed the HDR Game mode and they themselves had one tip and that was to put "Dynamic Contrast" to High. It's great you found a setting you are happy with but the difference to the Standard HDR setting was obvious and not changeable, no matter what options you try to change at least on the TV I had. And that experience seems to be one that many, many consumers and journalists had.

Maybe you have an OLED? Can't really argue with that since I had a LCD.
No offience buddy, but this thread specifically discusses LG OLED's....

SilentRob

No offience buddy, but this thread specifically discusses LG OLED's....

Oh jesus. You ever look at a thing and then notice that your brain kinda blocked out a pretty obvious part without you realizing? Yeah. I have no idea, but I have completely blocked out the "OLED" part from the thread title.

Sorry guys, ignore me ;)

Top Bottom