• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

Oh, and the camera work in the sewers when Pennywise is
doing his little clown jig in front of the flames
was unsettling as well. Can't quite put my finger on why though.

That was probably because the camera just held focused on his head, which stayed in place, while the rest of him was bouncing around. That was a nice touch.

Hagi

Man this was unsettling as fuck, scared me quite a few times especially when they were in the haunted house. The effects and just general imagery used was exceptionally well done. The scene where they are in Bills garage shook me to the core because I really didn't expect it to end that way when we saw some of that part with the projector in the trailers.

Fuck clowns.

Yeah the opening was shockingly gruesome.

Muschietti does a great job of making you feel like you saw something worse that what was actually on-screen.

IIRC, all you see is the moment where he bites down. Georgie's stump is flashed on briefly (if at all) and that's it before he's pulled under.

The Kintner boy dies harder in Jaws than George Denbrough does in IT.

but Muschietti makes it FEEL worse than it is. Its an amazingly effective opener.

Is Mama a good horror movie? Never seen it, but the director clearly has a talent for horror

Muschietti does a great job of making you feel like you saw something worse that what was actually on-screen.

IIRC, all you see is the moment where he bites down. Georgie's stump is flashed on briefly (if at all) and that's it before he's pulled under.

The Kintner boy dies harder in Jaws than George Denbrough does in IT.

but Muschietti makes it FEEL worse than it is. Its an amazingly effective opener.
That's some Texas Chainsaw Massacre magic right there. TCM barely has any blood or gore in it at all, but it feels brutal af

Monocle

I just leave, regardless.

Anything you don't give a shit enough about to put in your movie proper I don't give a shit about seeing in the theater.

I'll YouTube it later.
This policy works up until the point when you get a Guardians 2, which has delightful credits (GUARDIANS INFERNO) scattered with like 4 bonus scenes.

Hagi

I'm really interested in how they tackle the adult led sequel because I can't remember any of those scenes from the book and from just watching some of the Tim Curry version on Yotube it looks kind of crazy especially with IT's final appearance.

Jackpot

Banned
What's the balance between scenes dealing with kid bullying and scenes dealing with IT? I know the former is the majority of the book but I never like seeing it.

Also does Beep Beep and Richie's impressions get annoying at all?

Hagi

What's the balance between scenes dealing with kid bullying and scenes dealing with IT? I know the former is the majority of the book but I never like seeing it.

Also does Beep Beep and Richie's impressions get annoying at all?

There's like 4 or 5 bullying scenes with 1 of them being particularly fucked up. I can only remember him saying beep beep once but the sound was kind of blown out in our cinema.

BFIB

I'm really interested in how they tackle the adult led sequel because I can't remember any of those scenes from the book and from just watching some of the Tim Curry version on Yotube it looks kind of crazy especially with IT's final appearance.

How the ending is played out is what I'm interested in seeing. I hope its Pennywise as the clown again, and not the spider with a giant deadlight.

Hagi

How the ending is played out is what I'm interested in seeing. I hope its Pennywise as the clown again, and not the spider with a giant deadlight.

Yeah giant spider thing would be weird but depends on how they do it. I really like that they did an amalgam of all their fears during the end fight. They even threw in the mummy which I was surprised about because they skipped the terrifying scene on the bridge.

Ideally they'll go full The Thing-body horror monstrosity that might look kind of like a spider

eso76

It backs off, presumably because it has all the time in the world (this thing is at least 200-300 years old, probably older).

Much older than that in the book I think.

Are the stories from Derry (forgot how those were called in the book) in the movie in any way ?
They should totally do a part 3 with those otherwise. Better yet, a part 1.5 to release in 2018 while waiting for part 2.

Loved those and Dick Halloran's cameo appearance.
I'm pretty sure the first copy of the book I bought did not have them at all.

Necro

Banned
Man they should get Amy Adams to play the grown up version of that red head girl because they even sound alike.

Are the stories from Derry (forgot how those were called in the book) in the movie in any way ?
They should totally do a part 3 with those otherwise. Better yet, a part 1.5 to release in 2018 while waiting for part 2.

There are a few mentioned in a history book but they dont do entire scenes set in those pictures if thats what you mean.

Hagi

I read earlier they want to start the sequel with the black spot but that and others are mentioned throughout.

Meffer

I haven't read the novel and barely remember the miniseries other then disliking it, but I have a huge issue with supernatural creatures and rules. I like when something has at least inferable rules like The Ring and isn't total inescapable bull shit like the 2016 Blair Witch movie or the Grudge.

Saying that I thought IT was explained fine. Knowing what the thing actually is, a really old and deep fucker type of evil that feeds on fear, it worked for me. It is powerful when It is luring a single person outside of a safe place, or a place naturally fearful like the dark basement or the sewers. The kids are always being lured away. If the kids are alone or don't feel safe, then they are vulnerable I think. When the kids are together or end up leaving, It backs off, presumably because it has all the time in the world (this thing is at least 200-300 years old, probably older) and It says the meat and flesh taste better the more fear is in it. Georgie and Patrick were alone and thus fucked. Although that doesn't seem to mean It wont try to attack them, like in the garage with the projector so I can see what you mean.

I think when it comes to mind trickery, a lot of things can be explained away. People seem to unknowingly enter some kind of pocket dimension that isn't perceivable by others, kind of like how Silent Hill works, which makes sense because King inspired the hell out of those games. I swear in the background of the library scene, the lady librarian is giving a barely noticeable death glare at the fat kid the entire time. Like you cant make out her face but its clear she is looking RIGHT at him. If you are able to break that illusion like when they open the garage door or leave the room then you are safe.

That's just how I read it.

It is actually a nearly immortal being from outside our universe.

Came back from it an hour ago, what an insane experience. I liked almost everything from the child actors to Skarsgard's performance.

Guess only critique I have is some of the CGI is bad. Other than that I really liked the movie and I'm hyped for chapter 2.

eso76

There are a few mentioned in a history book but they dont do entire scenes set in those pictures if thats what you mean.

I read earlier they want to start the sequel with the black spot but that and others are mentioned throughout.

Yeah the black spot is the one I was talking about, and others about the background of Bangor.
Makes sense that they wouldn't be fleshed out here since iirc, in the book it's young man/adult Mike telling the story of Derry through those articles and documents he researched while working at the library.

Would make a very good 'spin off' chapter or short series before the actual sequel releases.

Jawmuncher

Saw it a few hours ago. It was good. I was hoping it'd be a little scarier though. The content was there but I felt a lot of the CG just wasn't up to snuff. Stuff like the Lepper, Headless Egg Boy, and Creepy painting lady just stood out like a sore thumb for me. Since they weren't really scary. I get "But the kids are scared of them" and what not. But I think things could've been done a bit better there.

Overall though Pennywise made up for those instances though. Clown form always ended up stealing the show just like he should. The scene in the garage was by far my favorite.

Hopefully in the next film the CG and monster designs for the non-clown stuff is a bit better.

Muschietti really has a penchant for shit running at the camera/a character with its arms outstretched and its head lolling around rapidly. I'm kinda over it.

The beauty of Stephen King's book lied in its thorough characterization which was only possible due to the monstrous length of it.
Barring a dozen-hour adaptation of course this was never going to be as great, but for what it was I appreciated it. Much better than the miniseries.
I'm just sad there was so little time given to some of the kids.

I really appreciated the little touches, though, like adults aiding in the fucked-up goings-on in Derry through simple ignorance and lascivity. The TV in the background the first time we see Bev's home talking about playing in the sewers was fun, but I REALLY loved when Ben was in the library reading about old Derry watching the librarian slowly creep closer to him each time the camera shifted to him. She was never in focus but you could just make out a huge, disturbing smile on her face. It was never brought up or made to be more than it was and I loved it.

Other than that, I guess the CG was noticeably poor at times, mostly with the Leper and sadly a lot of Pennywise scenes.

Foggy

Enjoyed it a lot, but it was rushed to its detriment. Numerous setups for scares that paid off in the blink of an eye and character beats that could've been better with more time. It's one of those movies that is easy to celebrate for what makes it excellent, but it also makes its shortcomings very obvious. I'm glad I got a great horror movie, but it makes it obvious that there's a better adaptation waiting to be made.

I don't get the complaints about cg though. Just because it was obvious doesn't mean it was poorly used. My only issue was all the shaky-face Pennywise bullshit.

Foggy

Budget on this thing was reportedly less than 40mil, correct?

It looks very, very good for a price that low.

Get yourself a Korean cinematographer and you can craft some real high production value cinema. It's remarkable how slick their movies look with a fraction of the budget. Something in the water, their cinematographers have been killing it since the mid 2000s.

RulkezX

Insanity.

They had tho delay the start of the movie at my local cinema because it was so busy.

Film was ace as well 🤡🤡🤡

I liked the film but felt like it had too many modern horror sensibilities to work for me as a horror movie. There were times when I wished it didn't rely on a scare chord for some of the scares, and I honestly thought Pennywise was a bit much at times.

So it was a decent coming-of-age adventure but a ho-hum scary flick.

This wasn't the film I was hoping for when it came to the horror aspects. Outside of the bathroom scene, which I thought was tremendous, none of the setpieces really got under my skin. And I'll echo the thoughts of others that I wanted more of Derry and its enabling of Pennywise.

The more I think about the movie, though, the more I like it. Once I get away from my expectations, I realize just how much fun I had the movie. The best comparison I can think of Star Trek '09, where the actual intent of the movie was to make a crowdpleasing adventure rather than what the most devoted fanbase wants. And IT is a smashing success by that merit, thanks to strong writing and a phenomenal cast.

I'll be curious what sort of movie the sequel is.

dcelw540

Question at the end of the movie I thought the rope fell when the kid was fighting the bully? Was I wrong? I remember the other kids stating oh no the rope!

Saw this last night. This was better than the trailer let me to believe. The only things didn't work for me were the CG for the painting and the sick man.

Plus, some people took their children to see this movie. The stupidity.

benzy

Great flick. The obvious CG took it down a notch though. When It opens his mouth to feed it just looks cartoonish and not creepy and believable especially compared to the mini series design.

anigif_sub-buzz-12784-1491234127-6.gif

In terms of the story telling it was great. Loved the ending.

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
My new favorite horror movie of all time (not that I saw many, not a horror fan in general), and I can't remember laughing this hard in a theater in ages. So, it's also excellent as a comedic effort. I don't go to cinema often, but this was worth every penny.

Here in Brazil we have a TV show that does pranks, and we just had one IT-themed to promote the movie's launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az4amgoeUOk

What's your first?

The Thing.

I will admit, I will need a second viewing because there were two people who were talking constantly through the movie, so maybe I'll catch more things to critique, but the movie still entertained me despite the distractions.

Im pretty sure there are more minors in my theater right now than adults. I'm not a protect the children person, but it's pretty insane.

Its also full.

Meffer

Saw it earlier today, never read the book but I want to. It's a great movie and Pennywise was great. I like how they made him it was beast wearing a suit or some puppet.

Neece

Feels like chapter 2 will delve more into the town of Derry and the adults of the town. Mike and Ben will probably play a much bigger role as characters that investigate and make clear to the audience that the town itself is evil. Make it more of a mystery than scare house horror.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the entire first third or half of the film lacks Pennywise and they try to build up to him.

Carn82

I haven't read the novel and barely remember the miniseries other then disliking it, but I have a huge issue with supernatural creatures and rules. I like when something has at least inferable rules like The Ring and isn't total inescapable bull shit like the 2016 Blair Witch movie or the Grudge.

Saying that I thought IT was explained fine. Knowing what the thing actually is, a really old and deep fucker type of evil that feeds on fear, it worked for me. It is powerful when It is luring a single person outside of a safe place, or a place naturally fearful like the dark basement or the sewers. The kids are always being lured away. If the kids are alone or don't feel safe, then they are vulnerable I think. When the kids are together or end up leaving, It backs off, presumably because it has all the time in the world (this thing is at least 200-300 years old, probably older) and It says the meat and flesh taste better the more fear is in it. Georgie and Patrick were alone and thus fucked. Although that doesn't seem to mean It wont try to attack them, like in the garage with the projector so I can see what you mean.

I think when it comes to mind trickery, a lot of things can be explained away. People seem to unknowingly enter some kind of pocket dimension that isn't perceivable by others, kind of like how Silent Hill works, which makes sense because King inspired the hell out of those games. I swear in the background of the library scene, the lady librarian is giving a barely noticeable death glare at the fat kid the entire time. Like you cant make out her face but its clear she is looking RIGHT at him. If you are able to break that illusion like when they open the garage door or leave the room then you are safe.

That's just how I read it.

I'm a big King fan, and happened to finally get to The Dark Tower. Not want to make this about that movie, but there is a scene in it where Roland explains to Jake (who sketched something in sand) that outside our universe, evil beings try to get in. In the Dark Tower movie, they actually show a spider trying to cross that boundary. But that's pretty much how King wrote IT as well. Pennywise/Bob Gray/IT is an ancient being that crashed on earth, and has a feeding cycle. He is not an 'alien', but more a Lovecraftian kind of entity that keeps a fixed location, is almost immortal, and shapes and corrupts his surroundings. Or, if I recall correctly, IT is actually female.

Top Bottom