• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

Alienfan

Looking forward to chapter 2, though a bit sad I won't get to see those kids again. Fortunately Stranger Things 2 is back in a month.

I'd be surprised if WB doesn't demand some sort of rewrite to include flash back scenes with the kids.

I'd be surprised if WB doesn't demand some sort of rewrite to include flash back scenes with the kids.

I believe the director has already said he wants to include flash backs with the kids. He also said he'd like to do the Black Spot fire as the opening for part 2.

Was stans fear accurate to the book? I just thought it looked weird and personally found it humorous if anything.

In the book Stan is the most resistant to accepting It is real and the most reluctant to be a part of the whole thing. But in the book it's more because it's established he is very pragmatic and the idea of It being real deeply unbalances him.

He's not a whiny baby in the book like he is in the movie.

I just saw this film tonight and really enjoyed it. A minor complaint is that I wish they would have shown more interactions from other kids outside the main group and include more stuff from the book like the police officer warning them about the other murders going on.

Anything to give more weight to the idea that Derry itself is corrupted and twisted not just Pennywise. I felt the film was focused a little too much on the main cast and didn't branch out enough to flesh out Derry itself.

It may also just be me, but it feels like a lot of stuff was cut out from the film to keep the run-time down. It will be interesting to see what kind of deleted scenes will be included in the Blu Ray release.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man I loved this movie! I knew I would but I've been burned by hype before. Not this time!

About to pass out but some quick impressions

The good:

Pennywise was absolutely outstanding. That scene with Eddie was terrifying and hilarious all at once. So many terrifying moments and he had some of the funniest parts in the movie too

The Losers Club! All of them were great. My main dude Ben gets my mvp vote tho. I kept thinking he looked a lot like the actor who plays Russ in Christmas Vacation lol. Can't remember his name but shit I think he might make a good adult version of Ben in Chapter 2. They were all so good and they absolutely did not hold back on the swearing. It was pretty funny/weird seeing kids talk like that in a movie these days. They were just so damn good.

Loved the subtle horror moments, specifically the scene with Ben in the library towards the beginning, where the old lady in the back ground is just out of focus but she's staring right at the camera smiling looking evil af. That was really well done.

The adults were weird and creepy as hell.

That rock fight lmao! Goddamn that shit was brutal.

Loved the haunted house scene where Eddie breaks his arm and Richie gets locked in the clown room. Shit had me on that edge of my seat.

Richie was fucking hilarious lol

The kid that plays Georgie is one hell of an actor

The final showdown between pennywise and the losers was hype as fuuuck! Goddamn I loved the last 30 or so minutes of this movie so much, amazing final act

"THESE PILLS ARE GAZEEBOS! They're BULLSHIT!" lol oh Eddie

A few small complaints:

Some of the CGI was a bit off putting, especially Stans main fear from the painting. I did not like that design at all. The CG overall was a bit hit and miss. I'm still not sure about the Georgie death scene, it made me feel very uneasy but at the same time I was kinda distracted by the CG.

Wish Henry Bowers and his gang were a little more involved. Wasn't a huge fan of how he was portrayed in this movie. I will say tho the scene where he stabs his dad in the neck while the pennywise show was on tv was brutal as fuck,

Mike seriously needed to be more fleshed out. I understand he joins the losers late but I just feel like his character was rushed and he didn't get enough moments to shine. Love the actor tho.

The wtf: the absolute cunt next to me checking her bright ass phone 3 separate times during the scene where pennywise is trying to convince the losers to let him take bill. My god I was pissed. So disrespectful.

One of my favorite movies of the year and the best horror movie I've seen in years. I'd give this a solid 4.5/5

shaneo632

Off to the first screening of the day in 2 hours. Screen looking nice and empty, hopefully no annoying kids derailing the atmosphere. Excited!

mrkgoo

I just saw this film tonight and really enjoyed it. A minor complaint is that I wish they would have shown more interactions from other kids outside the main group and include more stuff from the book like the police officer warning them about the other murders going on.

Anything to give more weight to the idea that Derry itself is corrupted and twisted not just Pennywise. I felt the film was focused a little too much on the main cast and didn't branch out enough to flesh out Derry itself.

It may also just be me, but it feels like a lot of stuff was cut out from the film to keep the run-time down. It will be interesting to see what kind of deleted scenes will be included in the Blu Ray release.

IS that what the book is like, regarding Derry?

I don't know it specifically, but it would explain the horrendous bullying and the absolute trashy parents, lol.

Carcetti

The movie's been stewing in my head for a while now and it's growing on me.

When I was watching it I was a little disappointed and surprised how little normal 'horror' it had but now that I've had time to think, I actually like the adventure-y tone a lot. It was a really fun movie to watch.

Salem's Lot used to my favorite King book, but after reading IT this year, it towers over the others. It's one of the few books that affected me emotionally; he portrays the characters, their bond and growing friendship, so well

Thats whats so amazing about the book. Its the kids relationships and bonds with each other thats described so unbelieveably well you feel like a part of the group yourself. Kings depiction of childhood is just amazing. IT is easily one of my top 5 books of all time. Im glad the movie is getting good reviews

Monocle

This movie was a lot of fun. Not an instant classic like The Wailing or The Witch, but a very solid film that does justice to its premise. I would certainly rank it above some of my recent-ish favorites like Annabelle: Creation and It Follows. Definitely better than The Babadook because it's not a massive cocktease and the ending is satisfying.

Some scattered impressions:

- Really well shot, just like the trailers indicated.

- There's a nostalgic adventurey tone to the parts that aren't pure horror material. Sort of reminiscent of Stranger Things and older coming-of-age movies. I liked that aspect a lot.

- Pennywise is awesome the whole way through. Unsettling voice and movement, cool transformations that illustrate how he operates with a kind of nightmare logic, altering his form for the scariest effect on his current prey

- All of the kid actors were well cast. That one boy from Stranger Things sure has some colorful lines, lol.

- The movie does a good job of showing adults from a kid's perspective. Scary bossy weirdos.

- The Georgie sewer scene near the beginning took me by surprise. I was not expecting that intense ending, damn.

- This movie is more graphic than I thought it would be, but not gratuitously so. Just enough to be effective.

- Holy shit at the brutality of those bullies. Legit psychos. Somebody needs to get those kids under control.

- I wish there had been a few more scenes with Pennywise showing up in mundane settings. The trailers spoiled nearly all of his appearances. I wish I hadn't watched them.

laughed so hard at the final act. It became a comedy once it was apparent the children wasn't ever gonna be in real jeopardy. Fat kid was the best actor like how chunk was the best thing about goonies

What I liked:

A) The kid at the start who must have been 5 getting his arm bitten off. We were like well, this movie might have bite!

B) Library basement/egg thing

C) Bathroom blood scene

and then it became a bit of a bore tbh. Had a stranger things vibe to it. (bicycle/80s) etc el. Still. Its better than most but ...

6/10

mrkgoo

laughed so hard at the final act. It became a comedy once it was apparent the children wasn't ever gonna be in real jeopardy. Fat kid was the best actor like how chunk was the best thing about goonies

What I liked:

A) The kid at the start who must have been 5 getting his arm bitten off. We were like well, this movie might have bite!

B) Library basement/egg thing

C) Bathroom blood scene

and then it became a bit of a bore tbh. Had a stranger things vibe to it. (bicycle/80s) etc el. Still. Its better than most but ...

6/10

It's funny that you mention, but only have a vague recollection of the original mini series, so I was wondering if someone were to actually die....but then remembered that they all get together as adults, so none of them were to die.

Fortunately for me, I can get invested in movie well enough that even if I know the outcome, I can still feel the emotions I'm supposed to at any given point, or at least get what they're going for.

Majora

One of the reviews did raise the interesting point that Pennywise becomes less scary the longer the movie goes on because, when he consistently fails to kill anyone despite numerous encounters, he ends up coming off as incompetent and bumbling rather than terrifying. They could probably have rectified this by showing him killing a couple of other kids in the town, thus establishing the idea that he is a very real threat. I know there was Patrick but you don't really see that.

The one scene I thought did make him look a bit silly was in the basement with Bill and Georgie. He dashes at Bill and then falls over and hits his head on the stairs, Bill leaves the basement and the scene just ends? Lol. Why didn't he pursue Bill further? And it just plays out weird because him hitting his head on the stairs is played as neither comedic nor dramatic, it just kind of happens and then that's that. Thought it was a bit of a weird climax to the encounter to be honest.

It's funny that you mention, but only have a vague recollection of the original mini series, so I was wondering if someone were to actually die....but then remembered that they all get together as adults, so none of them were to die.

Fortunately for me, I can get invested in movie well enough that even if I know the outcome, I can still feel the emotions I'm supposed to at any given point, or at least get what they're going for.

Sorry. I guess its sort of a spoiler. But this thread said unmarked spoilers...

Um

So one of my biggest issues with the movie comes late in the movie.

Yeah and the film is too reliant on the kids wandering off - twice they did it, not once but twice in the house (inhaler kid wanders off, then nerd who's scared of clown wanders off from his friend when they were trying to get the door open) and then a bit later the jewish kid in the sewer. I turned to my friend when the jewish kid was off by himself and I was like "um, wut, how is he suddenly alone?". And then of course, he's shining his flashlight around and the boo scare was going to happen

One of the reviews did raise the interesting point that Pennywise becomes less scary the longer the movie goes on because, when he consistently fails to kill anyone despite numerous encounters, he ends up coming off as incompetent and bumbling rather than terrifying. They could probably have rectified this by showing him killing a couple of other kids in the town, thus establishing the idea that he is a very real threat. I know there was Patrick but you don't really see that.

The one scene I thought did make him look a bit silly was in the basement with Bill and Georgie. He dashes at Bill and then falls over and hits his head on the stairs, Bill leaves the basement and the scene just ends? Lol. Why didn't he pursue Bill further? And it just plays out weird because him hitting his head on the stairs is played as neither comedic nor dramatic, it just kind of happens and then that's that. Thought it was a bit of a weird one to be honest.

Yeah, also how the movie cuts from kid screaming like a nutter and seeing terrifying things ot normalcy - I'm sorry but you'd be like "you guys woulnd't believe what I saw" - I mean when inhaler kid sees weird leprosy guy (lol looks like plastic/bug from starship troopers + a zombie outta the thriller music video), when bill sees ghost in basement with water - its just kind of odd how the scene just ends.

I'd be screaming my head off talking to the parent/my friends if I saw anything like what they witnessed. But it took (can't remember it but they were all on the street when they all did the "i saw this conversation").

mrkgoo

Sorry. I guess its sort of a spoiler. But this thread said unmarked spoilers...

Um

So one of my biggest issues with the movie comes late in the movie.

Yeah and the film is too reliant on the kids wandering off - twice they did it, not once but twice in the house (inhaler kid wanders off, then nerd who's scared of clown wanders off from his friend when they were trying to get the door open) and then a bit later the jewish kid in the sewer. I turned to my friend when the jewish kid was off by himself and I was like "um, wut, how is he suddenly alone?". And then of course, he's shining his flashlight around and the boo scare was going to happen

Oh I know it's a spoiler thread, I've seen the movie. I don't care about spoilers generally anyway.

The impression I got about them wandering off alone that sometimes it was their fault, but other times it was Pennywise's doing....like he could create illusions and sometimes would lure them, but could get you in your own world where, for example, you thought you were alone, so you wandered off "looking for the others" type of thing, where they would just see you walk off on your own. IT was his tactic to isolate.

Also, I' am left wondering to what extent does pennywise have to lure kids? Like can he just waltz out into a street and grab someone? Or does he have to do something like convince a kid to actually come to him or take something from him?

llien

TIL this is how real life piece of shit, that inspired King to write this, looked like:

Johnwaynegacypogo.jpg

Exis

I loved the movie, it was perfect and I had a deep thought during it
if you laugh at Pennywise he can't harm you.

Oh I know it's a spoiler thread, I've seen the movie. I don't care about spoilers generally anyway.

The impression I got about them wandering off alone that sometimes it was their fault, but other times it was Pennywise's doing....like he could create illusions and sometimes would lure them, but could get you in your own world where, for example, you thought you were alone, so you wandered off "looking for the others" type of thing, where they would just see you walk off on your own. IT was his tactic to isolate.

Also, I' am left wondering to what extent does pennywise have to lure kids? Like can he just waltz out into a street and grab someone? Or does he have to do something like convince a kid to actually come to him or take something from him?

Some of the earlier stuff is okay - like the library scene; I can see a child being lured away by that. The other times in the film tho, its just for the sake of plot/setpiece scare moments which really made them stick out. When glasses run off from the main lead to go into the clown room - they just got seperated from inhaler kid - there's no reason why he'd wander off but he does anyway. It's done pretty poorly imo.

mrkgoo

Some of the earlier stuff is okay - like the library scene; I can see a child being lured away by that. The other times in the film tho, its just for the sake of plot/setpiece scare moments which really made them stick out. When glasses run off from the main lead to go into the clown room - they just got seperated from inhaler kid - there's no reason why he'd wander off but he does anyway. It's done pretty poorly imo.

That's kind of what i mean, the abilities of IT are vague enough that I always assumed he was able to manifest things in people's minds. So if someone wanders off within his own vision, it's just completing enough that he's kind of forgotten he's even there with people. Or that he's kind of in the position where he thinks he's already away from people.

Maybe they could've expressed that kind of thing better, but after seeing alto of nightmares on elm street movies where freddy lures kids off and everyone around them is yelling at them to wake up or snap out of it, it just seems par for the course, lol.

black070

I have to commend the movie for its pacing, having checked now I can't believe it's 2 hours and 15 minutes long, it flew by ! I really, really enjoyed it.

That's kind of what i mean, the abilities of IT are vague enough that I always assumed he was able to manifest things in people's minds. So if someone wanders off within his own vision, it's just completing enough that he's kind of forgotten he's even there with people. Or that he's kind of in the position where he thinks he's already away from people.

Maybe they could've expressed that kind of thing better, but after seeing alto of nightmares on elm street movies where freddy lures kids off and everyone around them is yelling at them to wake up or snap out of it, it just seems par for the course, lol.

yeah but at no time in IT does pennywise seem able to hypnotise a child to make them do things (except for the bully kid - who he makes a killer for hire).

And of course, non of the kids who do wander off are ever really not cognitive - they're always calling out to their friend right away once its convienient for the plot that they do. Like Annabelle creation, its about setting up a situation to scare the audiences.

They know they're in a creepy space and they still wander off. Which dilutes the experience a bit.

I have to commend the movie for its pacing, having checked now I can't believe it's 2 hours and 15 minutes long, it flew by ! I really, really enjoyed it.

to me, it felt long. I had to go pee once they had that music montage downtime at the 3/4 mark.

wanted to add: the movie sets up the town to have some sort of festival - marching bands etc somewhere in the last third - there was no setup etc. Suddenly there was a festival in town? And I was like, oh IT is going to show up here but that didn't happen and then just as swiftly as it appeared, it went away. So why spend the budget to have a festival? There seems to have be oppourtunities in this that wasn't capitalised on. Or maybe it hit the cutting floor.

Also: the cow/brain gun thing also didn't pay off right. When make it a telling point with the black kid, but then have the main kid shoot georgie with it? There's a disconnect in the relevance of that moment.

Sorry I dont know any one's names.

wanted to add: the movie sets up the town to have some sort of festival - marching bands etc somewhere in the last third - there was no setup etc. Suddenly there was a festival in town? And I was like, oh IT is going to show up here but that didn't happen and then just as swiftly as it appeared, it went away. So why spend the budget to have a festival? There seems to have be oppourtunities in this that wasn't capitalised on. Or maybe it hit the cutting floor.

Also: the cow/brain gun thing also didn't pay off right. When make it a telling point with the black kid, but then have the main kid shoot georgie with it? There's a disconnect in the relevance of that moment.

Sorry I dont know any one's names.

I think the festival stuff is in part a hold over from the book, but also there to help sell the idea that these events take place over the span of a few months.

DeviantBoi

Went to see it last night and I really, really liked it!

I think it's a solid adaptation - definitely one of the best of King's horror stories.

I hope it makes them cash cause I want to see the second chapter.

I think the festival stuff is in part a hold over from the book, but also there to help sell the idea that these events take place over the span of a few months.

if that's the case, the passage of time in this movie is done very poorly. felt like it all transpired over a few consecutive days (outside of the 1 year break)

Went to see it last night and I really, really liked it!

I think it's a solid adaptation - definitely one of the best of King's horror stories.

I hope it makes them cash cause I want to see the second chapter.
Early tracking said this movie was going to be breaking all kinds of records, so the question is how much money rather than if it does well.

Charcoal

I want to go back for a second viewing just to see Pennywise get speared in the head. His look during that sequence was easily the most unsettling/scary thing in the film.

I also really liked that he drooled when he would watch the kids. It was a very nice, creepy touch.

rgoulart

Really good movie. I enjoyed it. My only "but" is I didn't really enjoy the fear-inducing scenes from Pennywise that he inflicted on the kids. Almost each individual "here I am, your greatest fear, now be scared" scene fell flat to me. When they started happening, almost every time, I found myself wanting it to hurry up and be over so I could get back to the characters interacting with each other. The interaction of the characters and their growing friendship was by far the films strength, and it just feels weird that the "scary" parts were the parts slowing the film's momentum.

Yeah, for better or for worse this is taken directly from the book. Reading the book I felt like each chapter could be it's own short story. There's a disconnect between scenes that makes it feel like this. I didn't mind it to be honest, neither in the book or movie. I thought they made a great job in adapting that.

Also the creepy mood and shifting tone I think was wonderfully balanced. I mean for them to deal with sexual assault and parental abuse and bullying and horror and comedy and lighthearted coming of age material was a difficult task, but I think it held up well, especially since one of those elements could have easily overwhelmed the others.

This too is right out of the book. Stephen King manages to do an amazing job at balancing all these different things happening in the book, like the horror, child abuse and bullying while also presenting us with a wonderful coming of age story with relatable children and situations.

Kuraudo

Banned
Only real disappointment for me is they didn't include the scene where Mike encounters the giant bird at the ironworks.

Other than that I thought it was a really good adaptation. Definitely one of the better King films and probably the strongest since The Mist.

Just got out of it and thoroughly enjoyed it, best horror film in a while.

As someone that isn't overly familiar with Kings books, what's the significance with the turtle I keep seeing being mentioned here?

It's kinda hard to explain without a wall of text imo, but I'd say the simplest explanation is that it's a nod that the movie is part of King's cinematic universe. Just like how the Dark Tower trailer had an 'It' nod:

IT-movie-links-to-The-Dark-Tower-1013260.jpg

So I'm seeing this tomorrow with my gf...but I hate scary movies. I find I can enjoy them more when I know what is coming.

Can someone spoil out the movie for me, in terms of the scariest moments/scares?

So I'm seeing this tomorrow with my gf...but I hate scary movies. I find I can enjoy them more when I know what is coming.

Can someone spoil out the movie for me, in terms of the scariest moments/scares?
I'm not a fan of scary movies myself, so I'll do what I can to help!

I know this is "unmarked spoilers" but really, everyone. ***I'm spoiling damn near everything here***

- First scare is when the little boy Georgie is talking to the clown in the sewer drain about getting his boat. The clowns is creepy and becomes menacing. When the kid reaches in to get his boat, the clown opens his mouth to show teeth and bites the kid's arm off. The kid starts to crawl away and the clown's arm reaches out and pulls the kid into the drain. The arm part is the violent and scary part.

- The next one I remember is the Mike kid when he's at the butcher's shop. It isn't too scary but he sees visions of burned up hands behind a door, then the clown hanging from something like a slaughtered animal.

- The Jewish kid (Stan) gets a scare at his temple (? I'm Methodist so fuck if I know the verbiage) where an image from a picture comes to life (it's the clown pretending to be the image) and chases him a bit until he runs out of the room.

- The fat kid (Ben) is reading a book about a tragedy from the town many years ago, sees a picture with a severed child's head, then sees a red balloon and charred Easter eggs (I think the tragedy was at an Easter event). He follows it down to the library basement area, where a decapitated child head follows him down the stairs and chases him through the stacks. The body becomes the clown who is running at him until he runs into a librarian.

- The bully cuts up Ben's stomach. That's not a "spooky" thing but it is disturbing.

- One of the bullies is chasing after the Ben when he gets separated from the bully group. As he walks into the sewers where he thinks the kids are, the clown appears as dead bodies, which scares him further into the sewers, where the clown appears and off screen eats him.

- Beverly gets scared by IT when she hears voices down the bathroom drain. She gets her dad's measuring tape and starts lowering it into the pipe. As she pulls it up, hair is attached and looks bloody (her hair is red so maybe I'm remembering that wrong). The hair then grabs her by the hands and starts wrapping itself around her. Up from the drain comes blood, which sprays all over her and covers her and the room. No violent attack there, but her dad comes in and doesn't see the blood.

- Bill, the stutter kid, sees his little brother in the house (not really his brother), and follows him to the basement, where this is a bunch of water and his brother is weird. Turns out the clown is in the water and is using the little brother like a ventriloquist, then chases after Bill but Bill makes it upstairs okay.

- Eddie, the hypochondriac with the weird mom, walks by a creepy house and is chased by a guy that looks like a living disease. Chases the kid into the yard where suddenly a bunch of balloons appear, with Pennywise the clown behind them. No further attack.

(Note: almost all of these are visions where nobody gets hurt. At this stage, only the little brother at the very beginning and the bully Patrick 30 minutes in actually have any real physical damage. It's just a lot of jump scares and scary clown approaching really fast at the kids).

FUCKING SCARIEST PART OF THE MOVIE - They are looking at slides of old Derry compared to a map Bill has. Suddenly the projector starts running on its own, and showing old pictures of Bill's family. One of the pictures of Bill's mom slowly starts to turn into the clown and all the kids are screaming. One of them knocks the projector over. The clown is still on the screen. Then it flashes and he's gone. Then it flashes, and a HUGE version of the clown is halfway out of the projector, scaring the shit out of the kids. It starts moving towards them, when one of the kids opens the garage door, bringing light in, and the clown disappears.

- Three kids (Bill, Eddie, and Richie) go into the clown's scary house, where one of them (Eddie) gets separated by a door and attacked by the disease creature again until he falls into a hole in the floor onto a table, breaking his arm.

- Richie, the loudmouth kid, gets separated from Bill into a room full of fake clowns (his only fear). He sees a coffin and opens it and I think it's a fake clown in there? I forget. But then the real clown appears and attacks (jump scare!), but Bill opens the door and saves him.

- They run to get to Eddie, but there are three doors, "Not Scary at All, Scary, Very Scary". They go to "Not Scary" and there is a half eaten girl body in the dark. Jump scare!

- Eddie is in the kitchen, on the floor with a broken arm, when the clown comes out of the old refrigerator, body all jumbled up, and refigures himself (pretty creepy) and looks to attack. That's scary.

- The two other boys come down and start talking to Pennywise and when IT is about to attack, the girl stabs him with a fire poker or something. That pisses the clown off and he slashes Ben then leaves to the basement.

Let's see...what else am I forgetting...they split up at this point...

- Beverly's dad starts to make advances on her, at which point she basically welps him with a toilet lid. Right after you think she's safe, the clown grabs her neck and captures her. That was a big jump scare.

- Beverly in the clown's lair has a spooky part but it's not really "scary". She sees the clown's "true form". (Her being captured is what brings the other kids to the next part...)

- Then they have the final confrontation, and Stan gets attacked by the image from temple and almost dies. That was jump scary and creepy when the other kids save him.

- The bully attacks the kids but I don't remember any of that being jump scary or spooky.

- Then Bill follows another vision of his little brother into the clown's lair, grabbing the sheep killing bolt. He shoots the clown version of his brother. There is a showdown that isn't jump scary, from what I remember.

I think that about covers all of it. I tried to take out spoiling literally every moment of the film and only talk about the actual jump scare.

If I forgot something, someone else can help cover it.

Spoo

Saw It last night!

What to say? My audience loved it. They laughed at nearly everything that was funny (and there's a lot that is very funny), found the intense parts suitably intense, and clapped during the middle and end.

As a huge It fan, I found the movie to be roughly in the vicinity of my expectations without exceeding them. I think the largest problem with the movie is that Bill Skarsgard simply wasn't given enough time to *be* Pennywise (he is one of the best parts of the movie regardless, but is so good I'd love to hear more of his taunting), and the CG was sub-par.
I also found that there was probably one or two tonal shifts (from comedy to horror, or just dialogue to comedy) that didn't quite work. The audience liked them, but it was a bit in your face for me, personally.

I was impressed with how much heart the movie had, how briskly it moved. The direction of the movie was great, and other than the CG was visually enticing in nearly every frame. I wish a few of my favorite scenes had made it in, but I recognize you have to pick and choose your battles with a limited runtime, and they did fine in this regard.

IT isn't really a horror movie. It's a lot more than that, and while it's ambition to *be* more may set it at odds with some moviegoers expecting the Annabelle treatment, the movie is a wild ride that I think people will look back on (especially when it's concluded) and say they just had a ton of fun watching it, nothing more or less.

It's not even that he's super-big.

For me, the part that fucked me up (relatively) was the blinking. The time you spend in the dark between flashes is actually kinda long... just long enough to start to confuse your brain before—BAM GIANT FUCKING CLOWN GRINNING AT YOU LIKE A MALEVOLENT CHESHIRE CAT

I actually liked the artificiality of the effect at this point too. There's like this little rubbery wobble Pennywise does as he whips his head around gleefully and it's fucking perfect.

It's not even that he's super-big.

For me, the part that fucked me up (relatively) was the blinking. The time you spend in the dark between flashes is actually kinda long... just long enough to start to confuse your brain before—BAM GIANT FUCKING CLOWN GRINNING AT YOU LIKE A MALEVOLENT CHESHIRE CAT

I actually liked the artificiality of the effect at this point too. There's like this little rubbery wobble Pennywise does as he whips his head around gleefully and it's fucking perfect.
Very true. I was going for the effect that "Hey, he's just picture size before", which was spooky but not really too scary, to GODDAMN HE'S BIG AND HE'S IN REAL LIFE NOW.

But your description is better. :lol

Is that not the scariest fucking part of the whole damn movie? Like, nothing came close to that, in my book. I just kind of side eyed a lot of the jump scares, but that part had me shook.

That's really the only part of the film where you kinda felt the way the kids should.

Most of the movie is just haunted-house running and yelling. Which is cool, it's done really well, but it's certainly not scary or even tense.

It's pretty fun though.

I guess it's Raimi-esque, is what I'm getting at.

Toa TAK

Banned
Very true. I was going for the effect that "Hey, he's just picture size before", which was spooky but not really too scary, to GODDAMN HE'S BIG AND HE'S IN REAL LIFE NOW.

But your description is better. :lol

Is that not the scariest fucking part of the whole damn movie? Like, nothing came close to that, in my book. I just kind of side eyed a lot of the jump scares, but that part had me shook.
I think it's fair to say it's the "scariest" part (considering this movie underwhelmed in that department), but for me, it was pure bliss. That whole sequence was so much fun to watch with how fast and crazy it got.

Edit: beaten by Bobby.

Thank you so much, you're a life saver!
You're quite welcome.

As someone who doesn't like jump scares and horror movies in general, I did have a pretty good time with this one. It is really well shot, the kids are fun and endearing, and it is at least interesting enough. Hope you have the same experience!

Saw it. My scattered thoughts...

Bill Skarsgard is fucking amazing as Pennywise, and I feel stupid for even doubting him. My god, he is a REVELATION.

Finn Wolfhard as Richie may steal the show (out of the kids), but the young lady who plays Beverly has a very healthy acting career ahead of her if she decides she wants to stick with it.

One form of It in particular
(the crooked woman)
gave me major Junji Ito vibes, only reinforced when
the kids find her chewing on Stan's face inside the well
. It almost couldn't be unintentional, that was definitely Ito-inspired.

The CGI and green screen compositing sometimes is a little off, and I definitely noticed the issues as they happened, but to me it was generally pretty forgivable because the overall design aesthetic and direction was so strong that I forgive the CGI for being a little rough. You could also handwave it as being intentionally surreal, but I don't generally like making excuses for rough special effects.

As a final note, while it's been a while, I'm 99% sure that the
junk spire circled by floating kids
wasn't actually in the book as I remember it... but honestly, it fit so perfectly and was such a cool set piece that I think it deserved to have been part of the story in the first place. "You'll float" indeed...

Yeah, the movie pretty consistently has this very obviously artificial look to it, that's a good way to put it. But I don't understand if that's just because they were stretched thin with all the effects moments in the movie, or if it was an intentional effect to make it all look more surreal. But there are tons of those little moments where things stretch and deform as they move and things constantly look like those screencaps of in-between animation frames in cartoons. I liked the concept behind those moments a lot, but felt like the CGI could have looked better. But again, I forgive it for delivering the fucking goods hardcore.

Top Bottom