• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

There are two turtle references. One verbal, one Lego.

The interstellar/otherworldly nature of IT isn't directly referenced at all, and so neither is the Turtle.

You do see the deadlights, though.

Only gonna ask this cause it determines whether I see this tomorrow or wait for dvd/Netflix

Turtle or no turtle?

Well, yes...

@Bobby Roberts have you seen this. I didn't find it, but it's on the internets. Apparently there are more refs:

ypEyUV0.jpg

mrkgoo

Saw this last night. I thought it was excellent.

Very Stranger Things kind of vibe to me.

Personally, I could've done with more 80s nostalgia but that really wasn't the point of this so whatever.

Feels like a classic horror movie mixed with a coming of age ensemble film.

The movie felt actually longer than it was, but for me in a kid way. Like it felt it was a series the way they lingered on relationships and atmosphere. It felt good because I wanted it to feel like a bit more epic than just a two hour movie and it felt like that.

Saw this last night. I thought it was excellent.

Very Stranger Things kind of vibe to me.

Personally, I could've done with more 80s nostalgia but that really wasn't the point of this so whatever.

Feels like a classic horror movie mixed with a coming of age ensemble film.
Other way around really, Stranger Things was massively influenced by IT and King's stories in general. Not that I'm complaining, the more stories like this, the better

mrkgoo

Other way around really, Stranger Things was massively influenced by IT and King's stories in general. Not that I'm complaining, the more stories like this, the better

Oh absolutely I know this.

Stand by me, which I rewatched recently is a classic example as well.

I was just citing it as a modern example of the same feel.

As a child of the 80s, it delights me that so many modern films and media are using that era as a setting, and often nailing the feel.

Danielsan

Just came back from the movie theater. I thought it was excellent. I loved the focus on the Losers Club kids and most if not all the Pennywise sequences were truly creepy. My girlfriend just begged me not to leave for Dublin this weekend because she doesn't want to be home alone after seeing this movie. Also the things I'd give to be a kid again, in 80s America. There's just something I truly love about that vibe, both in IT and Stranger Things.

I'm thinking of picking up the book. I know it's like 1200 pages and also contains the story in which the losers return as adults, but other than that I'm kind of in the dark on the book. Would you guys say its worth the read after just having seen the movie?

I'm thinking of picking up the book. I know it's like 1200 pages and also contains the story in which the losers return as adults, but other than that I'm kind of in the dark on the book. Would you guys say its worth the read after just having seen the movie?
IT is the epitome of classic King horror, and easily become my favorite book by him when I finished reading it last month. It was both truly scary and emotionally powerful.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I hope they name the sequel "IT Follows"

Until the director comes out and says "oh, we made a pile of garbage under a tarp look like the turtle too" I'm not buying that.

It's just a mound of shit under some plastic.

Considering how un-subtle the other two references are, I'm not seeing this as being another one.

In the comments of the AV Club review, someone mentions how the kids in his youth group, ages 12--17, are hyped and excited for this movie, and how he had to explain that the movie was an adaptation of a book by a guy called Stephen King

If the movie is grabbing that wide of a net with its audience, no wonder it's tracking to be so huge

In the comments of the AV Club review, someone mentions how the kids in his youth group, ages 12--17, are hyped and excited for this movie, and how he had to explain that the movie was an adaptation of a book by a guy called Stephen King

If the movie is grabbing that wide of a net with its audience, no wonder it's tracking to be so huge
The market of kids and teenagers who are scared of clowns is not something to be messed with

Carn82

A Dutch TV channel is actually showing the miniseries this evening. Tuned in an hour ago, but man, it didn't age well. Last time I saw it is almost 25 years ago, hehe. That's a quarter of a century :/

It's not really reaching. It's been on the intertubes since the trailer hit. It's just a poor shot. There is what appears to be a turtle shape under the tarp.

t8j6BDK.jpg

I can see this as being a turtle reference

if only because the edge of the shell looks turtle-like, that is the little bumps that line the mound.

Yuuup.

The stronger part too is the fact that kids will identify with the main cast of characters, and increase word of mouth because of that alone.

I wonder if this is going to be the movie that shakes people awake out of their weird dream that people give a shit about movie ratings still.

A film's rating doesn't really matter anymore. This may be rated R but I will be 100% unsurprised when the legs on this thing grow because kids aged 12-17 are the ones continually going back to it.

Speaking of box-office - when the numbers hit on Monday, people are gonna be like "I guess the notion of "seasons" is pretty dead, too."

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Quick question for those that have seen it, as an arachnophobic, do I have anything to worry about? If so, roughly when and how long?

Many thanks. Going to see it tonight and would like to be able to sleep afterwards

Majmun

Quick question for those that have seen it, as an arachnophobic, do I have anything to worry about? If so, roughly when and how long?

Many thanks. Going to see it tonight and would like to be able to sleep afterwards

No reason to fear.

Majmun

The part with the Georgie mimic during the end was really, really well done. The actor who plays Georgie is so adorable, somehow made the whole scene even more sad.

Can't believe how young and talented the actors are. It can't be said enough.

I wonder who they'll cast for the mature roles. Bradley Cooper could be a great Bill. But I think they're going to cast less known actors again.

Farsi

Never seen this before, 2 Cinemarks in my area have 13 screenings for the Thursday Previews instead of the usual 6.

These boys want to feast.

The market of kids and teenagers who are scared of clowns is not something to be messed with
Yuuup.

The stronger part too is the fact that kids will identify with the main cast of characters, and increase word of mouth because of that alone.
My brother is 15, and he surprised me since he said that he wanted to see it this weekend. He likes horror movies but he doesn't tend to want to see them in theaters.

Oscar

Miraculously got some decent seats at a sold out 10pm showing at my local Alamo Drafthouse.

Here's their special menu options for opening weekend

Dat $12 hot dog tho 🤣

It
★★★★½
Absolutely amazing. Wonderfully acted, heartfelt, terrifying and funny to boot.

Never seen the original miniseries, and not sure I would want to after this.

rgoulart

Just came back from the theater. Amazing adaptation. Perfect mix of horror and coming of age story. Also loved Pennywise, he's terrific, much better than I thought by the previews. I can't wait for Chapter 2.

Just got out from the theater. If they were able to nail the rest of the horror elements like they did the Georgie scene it would've been something special. That said, it was a lot of fun. The losers were perfect.

rgoulart

Only reference is a bunch of cobwebs inside the house on Neibolt street.

theBmZ

Just got back from the theater. I thought IT was great. The cast is fantastic. If they do follow through on a second chapter with adults, they better make sure that they nail the cast the way they did here. As for the scares, horror movies don't really scare me, but there was some genuinely creepy imagery here.

Sean C

I thought it was quite good overall, though the choice to tell the story in a purely linear fashion (which makes sense overall, don't get me wrong) does have the unintended effect of rendering much of the early narrative feel a bit disconnected (i.e., we see one kid encounter Pennywise, then another, and another).

There's one moment that is a bit confusing visually, where every kid but Beverly is scared of going into the house with Billy, but when we cut to the group chosen to go inside, Beverly isn't among them, without explanation.

black070

Really enjoyed the movie, I didn't find it scary at all though - it went by in a flash too, which is telling in how enjoyable of a watch it is.

So, there is nothing after the credits right? I usually stay so that crowds clear out, but I gotta work in the morning and am heading to a showing now.

They probably filmed the mummy scene but just couldn't find a place to fit it into the movie proper right?

I was shocked when Pennywise just changed into him at the end.

Just got back from a midnight screening and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As mentioned by most people the kids are fantastic, so well cast. My best surprise was pennywise though. Tim Curry was iconic as the clown but i think Bill Scarsgaard is actually better, his performance is so much more animalistic and convincing as a creature, while still maintaining that playfulness of the Curry pennywise.

My only complaints would be some dodgy cgi at times, and that despite it being over 2 hours and just focusing on the kids it still felt a little rushed in its telling. However this does make the movie fly by and not feel it's length at all.

Oh and was slightly disappointed with Bowers and his gang, nowhere near as prominent as I would have liked them to have been.

BkMogul

Saw a screening yesterday, and definitely liked it. My friend was complaining about the 1st act and all the character development for the kids (and not enough of Pennywise) but it was pretty much needed for the rest of the film and the eventual sequel. All in all, I enjoyed it and Pennywise was used perfectly. Not draped over the film too much, but they made the best use of his screen time.

I saw it and I thought it was good however my one gripe is that I wish the film had a higher on screen body count but other then that its a solid 8 out of 10 for me

@Bobby Roberts Sure, boys would've listened to the Back Street Boys, East 17, Mili Vanilli... but not New Kids on the block... NOT New Kids on the Block - really, they wouldn't. And if so, then exclusively in the privacy of their bedrooms. You sure as hell didn't bring a New Kids on the Block cassette to junior high. Also, in the eighties, being sensitive would get you beat up.
]

That was sort of the point, the fat kid was so embarrassed that he didn't want Bev to know

Top Bottom