• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

Phenomenal. So grateful that they actually went for it and didn't trim out a lot of the books more surreal and shocking moments and the added stuff fit really well within the rest of the film. Some of the pacing was off in the middle and Mike's inclusion felt rushed and underdeveloped but fuck, traumatizing imagery, incredible performances and it went for the jugular.

9/10 for me.

BFIB

I kind of went in blind to this, saw the initial teaser, but checked out after. Its been about 10 years since I've read the book, so it wasn't too fresh in my mind.

Thoughts:

-The casting was pretty great. Beverly and Richie were the highlights to me, but the whole cast worked pretty well, and had good chemistry together.
-The pacing at the beginning was a little all over the place, but I understand why. It basically felt like a "greatest hits" out of the book.
-I kept waiting for the adult sections to start, especially jumping ahead to Stanley's suicide, but figured it out pretty quickly that this is going to be a two part movie. I really like this idea actually, its going to impact those who don't know Stanley's fate to make the Losers vulnerable 27 years from then.
-I was wondering how they were going to deal with a few parts, mainly the molestation of Beverly by her father via Pennywise, but I felt what we got nailed the tone. Really glad they kept it at that, that section was pretty difficult to read in the books.
-They showed the deadlights! I don't remember the kids seeing them when they were children? So that was a nice nod of what's to come.
-A few turtle references. Interesting......

Ok, saving the last for Pennywise. Part of what makes the book so great is that Pennywise goes beyond just the clown to bring the fear out of kids. So I understand the movie had a tough balance act, because lets face it, everyone wants to see Pennywise the clown. I thought the actor that played him did a tremendous job. I really don't understand the fascination with Tim Curry as Pennywise. The mini-series as a whole was fucking terrible, Curry tried to shine a turd, but that's asking too much. I thought this was a much better performance.

I got a kick out of the younger kids (I'm 37) who were in the theater, when "Chapter One" popped up, there was this audible gasp.

I am really glad I stayed away from trailers on this. I was pleasantly surprised. Can't wait for Chapter 2! It is only two right!?

gagecube

Banned
I saw this movie. I loved this movie. Should I read the book? I never have, and I haven’t seen the old movie since I was a kid, so I remember nothing

Holtz

I saw this movie. I loved this movie. Should I read the book? I never have, and I haven’t seen the old movie since I was a kid, so I remember nothing
Yes, you absolutely should. This movie only scratches the surface of the book.

BFIB

Absolutely. The book goes into much more detail. If its your first Stephen King novel, welcome to the rabbit hole.

I saw this movie. I loved this movie. Should I read the book? I never have, and I haven't seen the old movie since I was a kid, so I remember nothing
The book is King's masterpiece. The Stand may be more sprawling in scope, but IT is the epitome of classic King horror on an masterfully detailed tapestry of history, characters, atmosphere, and tension

Salem's Lot used to my favorite King book, but after reading IT this year, it towers over the others. It's one of the few books that affected me emotionally; he portrays the characters, their bond and growing friendship, so well

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have the novel here ready to be read, this is my first time reading it, after watching the movie. I wonder how my movie-first It experience will impact me reading it.

The book is King's masterpiece. The Stand may be more sprawling in scope, but IT is the epitome of classic King horror on an masterfully detailed tapestry of history, characters, atmosphere, and tension

I also have the Stand, and to be frank its sheer length, just like this one, is a bit daunting too, hahaha, so I haven't given it much time. But at least this movie is a good motivator for me to finally read it.

amaretto

Just got out of this.

This was a weirddddd film. The tone was so jarring in how all over the place it was. It went from this inspirational coming of age to suspense thriller to horror to campy/kitschy comedy to The Walking Dead.

I enjoyed it but I've never seen the original or read the book so I didn't exactly know what I was getting myself into lol.

I will say Richy & Eddie were absolutely hilarious. Those kids were firing on all cylinders.

I also have the Stand, and to be frank its sheer length, just like this one, is a bit daunting too, hahaha, so I haven't given it much time. But at least this movie is a good motivator for me to finally read it.
IT was a surprisngly fast read for me. It's big and daunting, but it has that "just one more chapter" addictive nature due to how King structures the story and how well he paints the characters. It's the kind of book you fly through because you want to spend more time with the characters and want to see what happens next

One thing I felt was lacking was Big Bill. Bill didn't really seem to be this magnetic leader like he is the book. He just kind of does what he wants not really caring about the others, even punching Ritchie. Whereas in the book King goes out of his way to write that Bill hitting Stan would make him no better than Henry.

For onscreen deaths I counted Patrick and Georgie, who was the other 2

Neither Patrick or Georgie are actually killed onscreen, either. Georgie's the closest.

What's interesting is that of all the most disturbing violence perpetrated, Georgie catches most of it. Ben's probably the Loser who gets fucked up the most

But you never see Pennywise actually get a kill in this movie. It says something about how effectively the setpieces are executed and strung together that I didnt' even notice this til much later after it was over, but yeah: If there's a sort of hollow feeling to the scares, I think a lot of it comes from Pennywise not actually getting his gloves dirty. He giggles, he drools, he stares, and he shows his teeth - but for all the kids that go missing in Derry, we never actually see him kill, either.

Jarmel

Banned
Neither Patrick or Georgie are actually killed onscreen, either. Georgie's the closest.

What's interesting is that of all the most disturbing violence perpetrated, Georgie catches most of it. Ben's probably the Loser who gets fucked up the most

But you never see Pennywise actually get a kill in this movie. It says something about how effectively the setpieces are executed and strung together that I didnt' even notice this til much later after it was over, but yeah: If there's a sort of hollow feeling to the scares, I think a lot of it comes from Pennywise not actually getting his gloves dirty. He giggles, he drools, he stares, and he shows his teeth - but for all the kids that go missing in Derry, we never actually see him kill, either.

Could it be a ratings issue? That even with a R, there are limits to child violence?

Well on screen enough, I thought Pennywise biting off Georgie's arm was close enough since he could've bled to death and I thought we saw enough of Patrick to get a good idea of what was going on. I thought it was a huge missed opportunity
not showing one of the bullies getting sucked in by the deadlights, with the kind of effects this movie has it would've been pretty good but instead eh

I liked that a lot. Mike didnt get as much screentime as everyone else and I thought the ending scene was weird because they were freaking out about AIDS at the beginning but it was very enjoyable.

Just saw it. Great movie, but I have to say, that Pennywise is a real jerk

EDIT: For real though, this movie left me very unsettled which hasn't happened in many years.

Just got out. Holy shit, best horror movie for me this year. Bill did a terrific job as Pennywise. The kids did awesome as well. Favorite part was the whole house. Very intense.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I really liked the film, it reminded me the difference between haunted house movies like Annabell the beginning, and horror movies with plot and symbolism and characters and all that jazz.

Out of curiosity, how closely did it follow the book?

Ducayne

I really liked the film, it reminded me the difference between haunted house movies like Annabell the beginning, and horror movies with plot and symbolism and characters and all that jazz.

Out of curiosity, how closely did it follow the book?

I meannnn the story beats are there for the kids portion of the novel but wildly different ways they were handled. I.e all the first interactions the kids had with Pennywise was different except for Eddie’s (except they skipped the best part when the leper was telling Eddie ‘ILL SUCK UR DICK FOR A QUARTER’) Bowers and the gang all follow the kids into the sewer and die (except for bowers) the final confrontation is different (ritual of the child vs however the hell they were able to dispatch of IT in this film)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just got out of it and thoroughly enjoyed it, best horror film in a while.

As someone that isn't overly familiar with Kings books, what's the significance with the turtle I keep seeing being mentioned here?

HiiiLife

Pennywise crawling out the fridge and strutting towards the kids is up there as one of my fav unsettling moments in horror. Right next to Conjuring 2's
painting scene.

It was uncomfortable how large he looked lol.

IT was pretty damn good. It never leaned too far into nightmare inducing imagery, but there are some very solid scenes of dread and jump scares throughout.
My other main criticism is that they never got into how fucked up and evil the town itself was. It was just a regular old town. This is something they can easily expand upon in the next one.
Skarsgard was great as Pennywise, and I look forward to seeing what he does with the material to come in the inevitable sequel.
The best thing about the film was The Losers. The kids were so damn great and lovable, and the best parts were just them being foul mouthed friends and hanging out.
I definitely will be seeing this again though.

I will agree with Bobby (I think it was Bobby) that said your reaction to the film will depend on what you go in expecting. About 40 minutes into the film tonight, a few assholes sitting behind me kept complaining about the film and asking, "Is this supposed to be a fucking comedy?"
I think they just expected a clown stalking and killing kids and nothing else.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Movie Gaf, I have sinned. This movie got me to shout during it. When the creepy mother was yelling at the other boys and girl about letting him get hurt. You just see the fat kid with his gut open. The kid kept getting his shit ripped open and just kept trunking.

Movie was damn good and surprisingly funny.

Oscar

Just got home from a 10pm showing.

My favorite thing about this film is how unsettling it managed to get me during the scenes where Pennywise is actually trying to instill fear into the kid(s) in question. Not talking about screamers or quick scares, I mean an actual sense of dread would briefly hit me during those scenes.

Just got home from a 10pm showing.

My favorite thing about this film is how unsettling it managed to get me during the scenes where Pennywise is actually trying to instill fear into the kid(s) in question. Not talking about screamers or quick scares, I mean an actual sense of dread would briefly hit me during those scenes.

Yup. Much more effective than the jump scares or him lashing out quickly at them.

Finished the book on the way to the movie, really enjoyed it & also really enjoyed the movie. They're both different and that's ok, I really had a good time. I wanna see it again.

Neece

Really good movie. I enjoyed it. My only "but" is I didn't really enjoy the fear-inducing scenes from Pennywise that he inflicted on the kids. Almost each individual "here I am, your greatest fear, now be scared" scene fell flat to me. When they started happening, almost every time, I found myself wanting it to hurry up and be over so I could get back to the characters interacting with each other. The interaction of the characters and their growing friendship was by far the films strength, and it just feels weird that the "scary" parts were the parts slowing the film's momentum.

A lot of the problem with the scares, imo, were the effects and imagery. Some of the movement looked really goofy. Some of the images didn't reach deep enough into the disturbing realm to work. Some of the problem with the scares were the lame setups, like Ben wandering off deep into the library, or Mike (woefully undeveloped btw) seeing Pennywise randomly.

I did like the scare Bev received, and the one where the group was watching the film strip. I don't think all of the others really lived up to those. And nothing lived up, scare wise, to the opening scene.

Also, fuck that house. Again not because it was scary but because it felt the most cliche out of everything presented. Just a spook house meant to separate the kids and deliver cheap haunted house scares. I get that IT is trying to scare the children, even in a cheap haunted house kind of way, but some of those set ups just felt like scares not even good enough for some of the run-of-the-mill Blumhouse movies that come out every year.

Speaking of the kids being separated, that was my other big critique. The fucking kids were smart enough to figure out that they needed to stay together, yet every 5 seconds they kept wandering off or being led away by shit that should be scaring the fuck out of them. I guess it can be argued that they were being seduced away, but it never really felt like that was what they were going for.

The script really didn't delivery many plausible scenarios for them to get separated. Almost all of them were contrived, especially since they would come right after they said they wanted to stick together. I just wish they could have delivered scares without having to make the characters act stupidly. The tension is better when I lose myself in them, and they do what I would do, yet still find themselves trapped against their greatest fears.

But even with being annoyed by those things, it's a testament to the characters that I still truly enjoyed my time with the film. I loved how monstrous the Pennywise design was, his eyes and mannerisms, but also when he opened his mouth to eat. It really illustrated that the clown form is just that, IT is a monster in essence and he felt like one.

And the adults felt like even bigger monsters, which was also a plus.

Also the creepy mood and shifting tone I think was wonderfully balanced. I mean for them to deal with sexual assault and parental abuse and bullying and horror and comedy and lighthearted coming of age material was a difficult task, but I think it held up well, especially since one of those elements could have easily overwhelmed the others.

Looking forward to chapter 2, though a bit sad I won't get to see those kids again. Fortunately Stranger Things 2 is back in a month.

Top Bottom