• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

zigg

anyone else have some weird input lag when using 4 joycons for split screen? Made the game almost unplayable.
I haven't tried it (though I have tried three pair of Joy-Cons so we can all use d-buttons; works out pretty well!) but I wonder if it might have something to do with one of your 'Cons being flaky? Might be worth a repair.

Since Switch ROMs are now out in the wild, people have been datamining PPT Switch - as typical for Puyo games, assests and text strings for old Puyo games and button controls for other platforms like PS/XBOX are present in data.

There's text strings referencing something else, however... keyboard controls.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I would not be even a little surprised if Sega has had a PC version ready to go for ages, if not for more licensing roadblocks.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at a PC version. Don't know if I'd double-dip right away since the Switch version is already perfect for me, but during a sale, hell, yeah.

Begbie

Can anyone confirm if anything unlocks specifically for getting 3 stars on every stage? I've beaten all the stages in Adventure mode but I haven't got three stars in everything yet.

Zeroro

I've only tried looking for matches once, and it was a couple of days ago, but there doesn't seem to be a single person playing this game online on the PS4. I've had the game for a couple of months and have poured tens of hours into it, so it's a shame to see it be so inactive on the PS4.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Picked this up at the Best Buy sale two weeks ago (+GCU) and I played it the most during my road trip.
Also my friends like playing at home too, even though we all kinda suck at Puyo. It's funny because when it's Tetris mode we're all blowing up but things slow down dramatically.

Problems:
Pro controllers suck because after 5 seconds of playing Tetris I ghosted 10 times.

I had one joycon not let me rotate for about 15 seconds and that sucked.

RoeBear

So I've now bought this game three times now. Ps4 switch and vita. Vita version will come with my imported copy of gunvolt for switch.

I still can't get past a five chain with puyo... I've only set up one t spin triple outside of an opener, but this game makes me want to practice all the time.

I only have the ps4 japanese version of this. is it playable online with english version?

i mean the only japanese who play now are experts so i just get my ass kicked all day.

TransTrender

Gold Member
So were the Sonic puyos a new addition or were they always just part of the bonus worlds?
They're pretty cool!

Also any suggestions for Fusion mode? I know I can slam Tetris pieces to clear garbage, and you can slam or slow roll regular puyos and they'll drop from above, but I guess I'm missing the meta strat for how all of this works together for quickly clearing puyos.

WPS

So were the Sonic puyos a new addition or were they always just part of the bonus worlds?
They're pretty cool!

Also any suggestions for Fusion mode? I know I can slam Tetris pieces to clear garbage, and you can slam or slow roll regular puyos and they'll drop from above, but I guess I'm missing the meta strat for how all of this works together for quickly clearing puyos.

I can't offer any help playing against humans, but for CPUs:

Build up as many groups of 3 puyos as possible, then go for a massive string of consecutive pops / line clears. I find chains are much harder to set up in fusion, and you don't get enough tetriminos to build up multi-line clears at any real rate, so I don't bother and just focus on consecutive clears.

Garbage isn't too much of an issue since you can clear it easily with a tetrimino, but if your wall of them begins to get untidy it is a lot harder to clear because the puyos get in the way of a lot of the tricks you can pull in tetris.

Sayad

Probably have been asked here a lot, sorry. But what's the easiest way to pick this up digitally on PS4(maybe Hong Kong/Japanese PSN?!), or is there no digital version at all?!

S2

Still 1.0.0 with no updates on my NA Switch
Yep, no balance patch :(

This really disheartens me because Puyo Puyo Tetris will be many people's introduction to Puyo, and getting murdered online by Tetris's OPness doesn't do much to convince them to play Puyo competitively. Having Tetris be OP in every game mode doesn't give much incentive to learn Puyo either.

I know quite a few Puyo players who've been giving up on ranked (or didn't buy the game at all) because there's no point in competing against Tetris, especially when there's other options for real Puyo matches (Puyo Chronicle 3DS, Puyo VS).

I guess people were right when they say this is just a Tetris game lol

7-4 in adventure (fusion mode) is kicking my fucking ass

I feel like i have a mediocre grasp of puyos and i'm trying to build them up but the ai has 4 or 5 chains every 2 seconds geez

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I downloaded the demo for this... I can't believe how much they give you.

What is the point of buying the actual game? It seems like the other modes are just slight variants of the two main modes in the demo...

Hegarol

What is the point of buying the actual game? It seems like the other modes are just slight variants of the two main modes in the demo...
The adventure mode is pretty good. Also you can choose best of three for vs games and much more game modes.

7-4 in adventure (fusion mode) is kicking my fucking ass

I feel like i have a mediocre grasp of puyos and i'm trying to build them up but the ai has 4 or 5 chains every 2 seconds geez

Fusion mode doesn't play like the other modes, you want to go for mix chains and the best way to set those up is just lots of groups of 3 colored puyos and a layer of tetrimions. After your second puyo wave let the tetris blocks start to slowly fall through your garbage and puyos so they'll clear lines, then go ham on clearing puyos. You'll get like an 8 combo between tetris and puyo which will kill the ai and get you 3* 95% of the time.

japtor

Online play and more vs modes...granted I only play the regular modes, but still it's a matter of being able to do quick rematches or changes vs the demo essentially rebooting the game every time.

Fusion mode doesn't play like the other modes, you want to go for mix chains and the best way to set those up is just lots of groups of 3 colored puyos and a layer of tetrimions. After your second puyo wave let the tetris blocks start to slowly fall through your garbage and puyos so they'll clear lines, then go ham on clearing puyos. You'll get like an 8 combo between tetris and puyo which will kill the ai and get you 3* 95% of the time.

thanks I'm doing a bit better (i didn't realise you clear puyo chains in fusion like in tetris if you know what I mean *blush*) l but it still seems like the ai is getting super crazy chains before I can achieve that. just gotta practice more

JEKKI

was matchmaking always broken?

this game is hecka tight and now after the patch I'm finally able to regularly get into ranked matches.

unfortunately, I always get butt kicked at puyo :( I always choose it coz I wanna practice but I get eaten alive before I can even make a 3 chain lol

I wish more ppl would just play swap; it's super fun! But if I set my filter to only search for swap then I never find matches, so I need to add Versus to my filter too.

Apparently some buffs to Puyo and slight nerfs to Tetris.
Also some QOL enhancements with online, you get a win if the other player ragequits now and they lose more ranking.

They also bumped up max rating to some unknown number (likely 99999) but also made it way easier to gain points, and matchmaking got a lot looser as a result

Also they fixed(?) the chime not playing when a player enters a room

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My PS4 downloaded the US version patch immediately after turning on the system but not the JP version. I'm wondering if this is just because it's been a long time since I've used the JP disc. (I lent it to a friend.) Is that patch out for every region?

My Switch did not download the patch until I tried to use the in-game online features.

Fireblend

Banned
Also some QOL enhancements with online, you get a win if the other player ragequits now and they lose more ranking.

They also bumped up max rating to some unknown number (likely 99999) but also made it way easier to gain points, and matchmaking got a lot looser as a result

Also they fixed(?) the chime not playing when a player enters a room
This sounds neat. Now I think I won't try to beat Mario + Rabbids today like I planned to and play some Puyo instead.

Top Bottom