• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Not exactly on topic, but I bought the PS4 version of this when it came out.

Then I got a Switch a couple weeks ago. I was going to trade in my PS4 version (on Amazon) and put that money towards the Switch version instead.

Couple days ago I could get $11.25 on Amazon for trade in. Not great, but I would have taken it.

Apparently I didn't act quickly enough because today the game is down to two dollars for trade in (PS4 version). What gives?

Guess I'll stick with the PS4 version.

Amazon trade value fluctuates like the wind, there's still a chance it goes back up at a later point.

Edit: Walmart is taking trade ins for $13.25 for the PS4 version anyways

I'm gonna help run/stream one at CEO.

Awesome!

Finally hit 100% on story mode. Some of those stages where you have to stall to buy enough time to set up a chain to hit the score requirement for 3 stars was fun lol.

Time to get ready for EVO by practicing chains in Puyo and T spins in Tetris...

And I just hit 130%, every chapter 3- starred! What a fun game, wish there were DLC story chapters or challenges planned for this game.

BigDug13

I really struggle with Puyo Puyo in the story mode, currently stuck at 3-10.

I also struggle when facing off online as tetris against anyone who's moderately skilled at Puyo. When they get their chain off it goes off for like 20 lines instantly killing me while my back to back tetrises seem like they don't do a lot of damage to my opponent.

I guess I've gotta learn those intricate spin attacks which weren't a thing back in the day...

Loving the game on Switch though. It's not taxing to the battery at all. I feel like I could play it for like 6 hours without needing to charge. Super addictive.

Just like I used to bring my 3DS and basically play old DS tetris vs computer for hours on end, now I'm doing it online against humans in portable form. Super fun that I just can't put down once I start.

I also struggle when facing off online as tetris against anyone who's moderately skilled at Puyo. When they get their chain off it goes off for like 20 lines instantly killing me while my back to back tetrises seem like they don't do a lot of damage to my opponent.

I guess I've gotta learn those intricate spin attacks which weren't a thing back in the day...
You gotta stack cleaner and faster in general. I'm 6300 rating and still get waylaid by players who never t-spin, just because of how fast they can build clean tetrises.

I think the two big bad habits are
1) resisting the temptation to clear those low value single garbage holes in favor of building up tetrises around them
2) trying to be cute and go for fancy setups when you need to be downstacking and surviving

Try playing Sprint mode and see what your clear time is. Good Tetris players routinely get sub 1min. I've heard a good starting target for a new player is 1:15.

Man. I wish this game had fever mode. It's the only thing missing!!

Same.

Big Bang is fun and all, but man that's like the third time today I've lost because we're both on the ropes and my Puyos make me have to wait another 4-5 drops to set off the chain.

*Edit* Make that 4th time today. At least in fever mode I don't get screwed over by that sort of shit. Also why the fuck is no one playing Versus today lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
Fusion pretty much killed my adventure mode progress cold. The mode isn't clicking for me at all. Not hating it or anything, but it's just way too much to keep track of.

Kirby's Avalanche makes this game a real breeze.....I'm used to going up against Dedede just for kicks.

Girlfriend's taking a while to absorb but she's doing fine.

Fireblend

Banned
What I usually do with Fusion is just make puyo groups of 3, ready 1 or 2 tetris lines, and then just start popping puyos and making lines until I run out of what I "stockpiled" and that's usually enough for 3-starring the Fusion story stages.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What I usually do with Fusion is just make puyo groups of 3, ready 1 or 2 tetris lines, and then just start popping puyos and making lines until I run out of what I "stockpiled" and that's usually enough for 3-starring the Fusion story stages.

• Pick a character with a large puyo dropset (i.e. anybody but Arle, whose dropset is the exact opposite of this) that includes at least 1 giant puyo + a tsumo (tetrimino/puyo hybrid) that you find to be most-awkward to use as a tetrimino.*
  • Stack tetriminos on the left 3 and right 3 columns or so, leaving at least the middle 2 columns devoid of minos.
  • Stack puyos on the middle 4 columns or so.
  • Build until the stack is about 2/3 up the screen.
  • Start clearing shit rapidly.
  • When possible, make sure that a giant puyo is in your hold box. This gives you access for a quick and easy chain extender when you can't use your current piece.
* For example, if you tend to have a hard time stacking with S or Z tetriminos, you can pick a character who has that piece as their dedicated tsumo so that you always have the option to drop it as a group of puyo instead.

MoonFrog

Yeah just hit fusion and it's weird.

Also not a big fan of Tetris VS. as it turns out. Can't really do non-vs. Puyo Puyo as the versus game is the way I played it as a kid and it just seems empty without the versus element (Kirby's Avalanche), but I just don't like competitive Tetris at all.

I feel the blocks dropping in competitive Puyo Puyo is just a better mechanic than the added rows in Tetris and I find the fun in controlling my Tetris field and am just bad at playing it aggressively.

Stopdoor

You gotta stack cleaner and faster in general. I'm 6300 rating and still get waylaid by players who never t-spin, just because of how fast they can build clean tetrises.

I think the two big bad habits are
1) resisting the temptation to clear those low value single garbage holes in favor of building up tetrises around them
2) trying to be cute and go for fancy setups when you need to be downstacking and surviving

Try playing Sprint mode and see what your clear time is. Good Tetris players routinely get sub 1min. I've heard a good starting target for a new player is 1:15.

Dang I just checked my Sprint record and it's like 2:30, double that. You sure haha? I didn't think I was completely awful but that's a ways off.

Jazzem

Thanks for the tips on Fusion guys, the only story levels I need to *** now are on that mode, will hopefully be able to change that with the advice!

So I bought my Switch last week and just naturally assumed that Zelda would be taking up all of my time.

What the hell at this game. Why is it so damn addicting? Why am I playing this more than Zelda?

pringles

Fusion pretty much killed my adventure mode progress cold. The mode isn't clicking for me at all. Not hating it or anything, but it's just way too much to keep track of.
I think Fusion is fun but I've hit a wall at like.. 7-4 I think. I think I've reached the point where my lack of Puyo Puyo skills are really starting to hurt. I'm getting better at pulling off chains but with the added element of the tetraminos my setups become a mess too often and getting a bunch of garbage blocks thrown at me makes chaining go out the window and I just try to stay alive.

Stopdoor

I think Fusion is fun but I've hit a wall at like.. 7-4 I think. I think I've reached the point where my lack of Puyo Puyo skills are really starting to hurt. I'm getting better at pulling off chains but with the added element of the tetraminos my setups become a mess too often and getting a bunch of garbage blocks thrown at me makes chaining go out the window and I just try to stay alive.

I don't bother trying to setup anything more than really basic chains in Fusion, just abuse the fact you can continue chains by dropping another a piece quickly. Tetris blocks shifting the columns ruins most setups anyway.

Just checked the leaderboards of the Switch version and "Worldwide" has just shy of 50,000 players. So the count has basically doubled since May 1, when it was at 26,000.

Game must have a long sales tail then, comparing relatively to the launch weekend.

leehom

Didn't know this game was released for PS4 since I only hear about the Switch version. Was pleasantly surprised when I saw it browsing the PS4 isle at Best Buy. Used my reward cert and basically got it for free. Love Tetris and interested in Puyo Puyo. Unfortnately doesn't seem like there's many people online with this game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Finished uploading some stream archives from the tournament we ran at CEO yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9U-0qhhKMjzPKFhmt3vZX2ZOXCtJ59bt

There wasn't really any interest in the PTvPT bracket. It's not too hard to find people willing to play Swap since lots of people are willing to bet on their Tetris skill and assume that they're not too far behind the rest of the field on the Puyo side, but few people are willing to rep the Puyo half of a team in the standard 2v2 format.

The Swap bracket was pretty good, though. The field was decently competitive (barring Steelix, who ran away with it unopposed) and James Chen stopped by to commentate for a bit at the end. I'm still a scrub who can't T-spin or build real chains fast enough to compete.

Steelix paid double entry so that he could compete in the 2v2 bracket without a teammate and still won lmao.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm gonna get bodied at EVO.

AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

?

Can you expand on this comment? Are they holding a tournament for this game at EVO? If so, which channel will be streaming it?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
?

Can you expand on this comment? Are they holding a tournament for this game at EVO? If so, which channel will be streaming it?
Ha, if they do I might actually start watching EVO streams after all this time!

molnizzle

I'm at my wits' end with Puyo. I just want to finish the campaign and never touch it again, but I think I might be legitimately stuck on 7-7. So goddamn frustrating.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I picked up the last copy of the "Launch Day" edition at my Best Buy. Still haven't opened it...Not sure if/when I will, but it's cool to have!

?

Yes, and SEGA is sponsoring / supporting it:

https://animevo.moe/puyotet/

A friend of mine is signing us up for doubles as he's the Tetris guy and I'm the Puyo guy.

Ha, if they do I might actually start watching EVO streams after all this time!

Not sure if it'll be streamed, as it'll be a side tourney. Butt here's hoping!

WPS

I've been playing this to death trying to get three stars on all story missions. I'm now down to only the score based fusion missions. I'm not looking forward to it, since I don't think my strategy for the time based ones will work as well, but it can't be as painful as the puyo vs tetris party missions.

After that I might dare to try online. Does online earn you whatever the currency was? I've still got half the alternate voices to unlock.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been playing this to death trying to get three stars on all story missions. I'm now down to only the score based fusion missions. I'm not looking forward to it, since I don't think my strategy for the time based ones will work as well, but it can't be as painful as the puyo vs tetris party missions.

After that I might dare to try online. Does online earn you whatever the currency was? I've still got half the alternate voices to unlock.

Yep.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is 3-10 where the challenge starts picking up? Cause it just took me quite a few tries ta win.

Averaging 1 story mode chapter per month prollys not helping me either!

There's also a general section at the end for other comments

Probably the best way to complain about lack of controller remapping / online lobby explosions / lack of spectating

Top Bottom