• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors who play themselves in every role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cf0n5g97r00hg57f.jpg

I doubt this is true, if he was an asshole in real life he wouldn't get work, even if the only work they give him is to play assholes.

Raist

Banned
Brad Pitt, DiCaprio, Jim Carrey and Tom Cruise are such wrong answers it isn't even funny.

I dunno man.

The Mask
Ace Ventura
Liar Liar
Me myself and Irene
Bruce Almighty
Batman
Cable guy
Dumb and dumber
And to a lesser extent, the Truman show

It's always the same shtick in different backgrounds. Dude with some issues pulling funny faces. He's moved on from that since spotless, but most of his career has been that for a long time.

Sobriquet

Yeah but that's a different type of asshole, I mean, I don't think this man is any position to negotiate, he is not a star so they can replace him at any moment.

Sometimes the unknown ones with no clout are the worst ones.

FWIW, I don't know who that actor is (but he looks familiar). I'm just saying it's not a rare thing.

Bombadil

Banned
I'll never forgive Tom cruise for turning war of the worlds into "what if tom cruise got attacked by aliens"

Very true.

Does Cruise ever make dramatic changes to his appearance for film roles (besides Born on the 4th of July?)

In every role he has that nasally voice, non-regional accent, penetrating stare, conventional haircut (except for in Magnolia), toothy smile.

Jarnet87

The action movie actors make sense. Probably because most only do action movies.
There's a lot of comedians incapable of doing anything but comedies.

But it's Tom Cruise. He is so horribly bad. I am stunned this guy has lasted so long being bad.

Cruise is only bad when he does his super agent/military/shooting gun guy roles that are all the same.

The guy is a great actor when given quality roles. Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, The Last Samurai, Collateral, Magnolia.

Edit: WTF Robin Williams hate in this thread? Now people are going full retard. Amazing actor: Worlds, Greatest Dad, Dead Poets, Fisher King, One Hour Photo, Patch Adams, Good Will Hunting. And in the films where its Robin being Robin for his comedy he's done great stuff too like Aladdin.

Rad-

Michael Cera is the "best" at this. At least actors like Cruise are still enjoyable watch but with Cera, he plays the same character so obviously that it almost ruins the movie.

AlexBasch

You know who is a great actor? Gary Oldman. Gary Oldman has no problem taking small roles. He'll be the sleazy guy when you need him to be. He'll be the father-figure, the cold-hearted spy, the Russian radical, the drug dealer, the rocker, etc. Actually, Oldman plays the crook more often than he should so maybe he's got some thinking to do as well.
Amazing actor.

Robert LaSardo too:
He's very good at being an asshole druglord though!

AlexBasch

What's also amazing with Gary Oldman is if you've never seen him in interviews, you might have no clue how old he actually is.

As is, that interview you linked surprised me at how strong his accent is.
He keeps himself very well, also if you watch Batman Begins, Order of the Phoenix and Book of Eli you can realize how much he can change between a character and another. I know there are better examples, but he really can pull off being a different character if it's required.

LuchaShaq

Banned
George Clooney is always the same dude.
I like him as an actor, but he never plays someone else.
fsRmg.jpg

The weird thing is all his roles fit as "playing himself" but never detract from his performance for me.

Ides of March/The American/Oceans/Clayton/Up in the air. All recent movies you can say he is "playing Clooney" but he is great in all of them.

Sobriquet

The weird thing is all his roles fit as "playing himself" but never detract from his performance for me.

Ides of March/The American/Oceans/Clayton/Up in the air. All recent movies you can say he is "playing Clooney" but he is great in all of them.

I'm just glad that Soderbergh corrected that head lean thing he used to do.

You do know that some of these actors get hired to play that specific role.

It's like people being mad that Nolan North uses the Drake voice in everything...

directors ask for that.

Carcetti

I can't understand how the Cruiser gets all the hate in these threads. Just his work in Magnolia and Collateral alone beats most modern Hollywood 'stars'. He wasn't the problem in War of the Worlds either, and I hate like 2/3 of that movie.

I definitely agree with Tom Cruise and Sam Jackson.
Except Sam Jackson is great while Tom Cruise is terrible. He was good in Magnolia. That was it. When I watch a Tom Cruise movie, I think, "That's Tom Cruise" on the screen. When I watch a Samuel L Jackson (or any other actor, for that matter), I think, "That's [Character Name]".

buhdeh

What the fuck is wrong with this thread? I just skimmed through and it's loaded with retarded examples.

Leo? Brad Pitt? DENZEL? The only way Denzel plays himself in every movie is if the only movies you've seen of his are American Gangster and Training Day.

Machine

I agree about Jack Nicholson. He was pretty great when he was younger but after awhile he just started doing the same guy most of the time. I wonder how much is the actor and how much is the director telling him to re-create the character he did in Cuckoo's Nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom