• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors who play themselves in every role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

MV5BMjQyNzM2MjM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE5NjI3Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR6,0,214,314_.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
THIS !

How Jack black is NOT every single post is AMAZING.

There is only ONE MOVIE that he is not playing himself !
Dude does air guitar in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE HE HAS BEEN

While this is mostly true, he was not playing himself in at least 2 movies. King Kong and Bernie. He was actually fantastic in Bernie.

Parch

The action movie actors make sense. Probably because most only do action movies.
There's a lot of comedians incapable of doing anything but comedies.

But it's Tom Cruise. He is so horribly bad. I am stunned this guy has lasted so long being bad.

Cruise is a pretty lazy example--he's played a rather effective villain at least twice (too lazy to look up if I've missed anything), and (perhaps unwittingly) deconstructed his own public persona in Magnolia.

There's nothing wrong with this, some of the greatest actors in cinema history got their roles because of this, and I would watch a movie starring many of them just to see them play themselves. Case in point:

Cary Grant
Humphrey Bogart, outside of Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Caine Mutiny
Sydney Greenstreet
Peter Lorre
John Wayne
Clint Eastwood
Arnold Schwarzeneggar
Tom Hanks
Bob Hope
Groucho Marx

I don't even need to go on.

-MB-

Charlie Sheen, it's so obvious because he is always named Charlie in any of the sitcoms hes been in.

Because sometimes something is so obvious that we don't even think about it.

Nicolas Cage played a different role in Raising Arizona and in Con Air.

"Put the bunny back in the box."

(fixed)

Lord of War was a movie I really liked him in, but his bland shitty style fit that movie perfectly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I would have said Tom Hanks (minus "That Thing You Do") until he blew me away in Cloud Atlas. So rare to see someone his age go for it instead of taking the easy way out *cough cough Deniro cough*

DENZEL? Really?
Training Day and Flight are huge counterexamples.

What about Forrest Gump? Or The Terminal?

harSon

Banned
I hate the perception that a role with an accent is some how synonymous with great acting. An accent alone doesn't differentiate one role from the next.

.GqueB.

Banned
Surprised nobody's said Will Smith yet. He practically wrote the book on acting as himself in every movie.

Yea pretty much. And when he tries to go outside of that he often falls flat on his face. No matter what he does, I always just see Will Smith.

Pursuit of Happiness = Older Will Smith with a fro (though the scene of him in the street after he got the job was FUCKING amazing. Gets me every time)

Seven Pounds = A tired Will Smith

This new movie = Will Smith with a weird accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom