• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France-GAF |OT| Existentialism, cheese, wine and je ne sais quoi

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nah, you won't have any problem in Sarreguemines. People from the former mining places are always very friendly. It's the people in the country side that can be a bit more difficult, but it's more ignorance than actual hate.
It's Lorraine btw, not Alsace :)
Ah yes, of course, I knew that. :p

That's good to hear, though.

By the way, as an aside, does anyone know what kind of hoops you have to jump through if you would like to purchase a car in Germany? Due to our location the selection of cars in Germany is infinitely superior and everything I have my eye on is in Germany. How much difficulty would I have purchasing a car there?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ah yes, of course, I knew that. :p

That's good to hear, though.

By the way, as an aside, does anyone know what kind of hoops you have to jump through if you would like to purchase a car in Germany? Due to our location the selection of cars in Germany is infinitely superior and everything I have my eye on is in Germany. How much difficulty would I have purchasing a car there?

New car, or used?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The 'parisian asshole' is a cliché. Most people from Paris are alright.
And we've got assholes from all around. I don't think it's worse than most others western big cities.

Though I'll admit french people seem to have a predisposition towards correcting non-stop foreigners trying to speak french. Even when they understood what the person meant to say.

You're not all Bernard Pivot, french peeps.

Mael

From what I know it's very rare to have a location that is so powerful that it bends people to its cliché.
I know no pedophiles and I know quite some people from up North.
People from Paris are nice as ever, heck I'm from Bordeaux and people berate me for being to nice as it is.
As for culture, and the French being full of high culture assholes I never met them (my hand would still hurt from the many punches that would be given at that time).

Hey! You wonderful French peeps! You better put a third season of Wakfu to air or I wont love you anymore!

I promise that one day I'll actually buy the DVDs of season 1 and 2. Maybe one day after that I'll be able to understand more than a few words without subtitles.

I know some people who work at Ankama, I've heard some not great things for the MMO but damn the people who made Wakfu are awesome!
Wiki told me that there's a feature film in the making, to be released no to far in the future.

And we've got assholes from all around. I don't think it's worse than most others western big cities.

Though I'll admit french people seem to have a predisposition towards correcting non-stop foreigners trying to speak french. Even when they understood what the person meant to say.

You're not all Bernard Pivot, french peeps.

We take it like the foreigner trying to sound smart/smug, that's irritating.
The fact that there is an actual grammar doesn't help.

G.O.O.

Any foreigner being bothered about his or her French should remember this question : "comment accorde-t-on le participe passé avec auxiliaire avoir ?"

People usually shut up after hearing this.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Used, probably. I can't justify new when there are so many deals on low mileage cars out there.

An example:

http://www.autoscout24.fr/Details.aspx?id=222037851&cd=634853235080000000&asrc=st|as

Ok, it's a tad more annoying than your average used car sales in France, but not much more. You'll just have to go to the "préfecture", I don't think you have to fo to Metz, the sous-préfecture in Forbach should be good enough, with this:
1 PIECE D'IDENTITE valide avec justification de domicile. (ID card)
2 CONTRAT DE VENTE ALLEMAND (German sales contract)
3 votre carte grise allemande - FAHRZEUGBRIEF - ainsi que l'équivalent du certificat de non gage allemand l'accompagnant - FAHRZEUGSCHEIN- présentant l'annotation suivante au dos «Vorübergehende Stillegung » (Papers for the car, standard for a sale)
4 QUITUS DE NON FISCALITE - à retirer dans votre centre des impôts - (You'll have to go to a cernre des impots in Forbach for that one)
5 CONTRÔLE TECHNIQUE de moins de 6 mois- pour véhicules de plus de 4 ans - (Technical control certificate for a 4+ years old car)
6 CERTIFICAT DE CONFORMITE EUROPEEN. En faire la demande auprès du constructeur de votre véhicule. ou ATTESTATION RTI de la DRIRE. (Certificate of European conformity from the cars constructor, or certificate from the DRIRE)
7 DEMANDE DE CERTIFICAT D'IMMATRICULATION remplie et signée, à retirer directement dans votre préfecture. (The actual form you can get from the Préfecture)
From this page: http://www.carte-grise.org/importation_vehicule_allemagne.htm

To get the 4th item, you'll need the items in point 2 and 3, plus a proof of residence (like an Electricity or Telephone invoice).

I think it will be quite a bit more difficult if you buy the car in your name though, just to be sure I'd do it with your wife's name and French ID card ;)

Mael

Any foreigner being bothered about his or her French should remember this question : "comment accorde-t-on le participe passé avec auxiliaire avoir ?"

Subjonctif also shut people quite quickly.
The language is so maimed by...literally everyone these days it's a surprise anyone would bother anyone on basic grammar, orthographe....

I've added a list of French videogames to the OP. There are many more than those on the list but we do produce a lot of shovelware and overall mediocre games.

Edit: Added links on how to apply for French citizenship.

Edit 2: If anyone wants a crash course on French culture (basic geography, history, famous people, etc) I recommend the Speak the Culture series. I've read it and it's full of useful info.

9781854184931_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Mael

I've added a list of French videogames to the OP. There are many more than those on the list but we do produce a lot of shovelware and overall mediocre games.

Edit: Added links on how to apply for French citizenship.

You should probably list games by publishers/developpers that would make it more easily readable (you forgot defunct Titus).
Great job

dark10x

Ok, it's a tad more annoying than your average used car sales in France, but not much more. You'll just have to go to the "préfecture", I don't think you have to fo to Metz, the sous-préfecture in Forbach should be good enough, with this:
1 PIECE D'IDENTITE valide avec justification de domicile. (ID card)
2 CONTRAT DE VENTE ALLEMAND (German sales contract)
3 votre carte grise allemande - FAHRZEUGBRIEF - ainsi que l'équivalent du certificat de non gage allemand l'accompagnant - FAHRZEUGSCHEIN- présentant l'annotation suivante au dos «Vorübergehende Stillegung » (Papers for the car, standard for a sale)
4 QUITUS DE NON FISCALITE - à retirer dans votre centre des impôts - (You'll have to go to a cernre des impots in Forbach for that one)
5 CONTRÔLE TECHNIQUE de moins de 6 mois- pour véhicules de plus de 4 ans - (Technical control certificate for a 4+ years old car)
6 CERTIFICAT DE CONFORMITE EUROPEEN. En faire la demande auprès du constructeur de votre véhicule. ou ATTESTATION RTI de la DRIRE. (Certificate of European conformity from the cars constructor, or certificate from the DRIRE)
7 DEMANDE DE CERTIFICAT D'IMMATRICULATION remplie et signée, à retirer directement dans votre préfecture. (The actual form you can get from the Préfecture)
From this page: http://www.carte-grise.org/importation_vehicule_allemagne.htm

To get the 4th item, you'll need the items in point 2 and 3, plus a proof of residence (like an Electricity or Telephone invoice).

I think it will be quite a bit more difficult if you buy the car in your name though, just to be sure I'd do it with your wife's name and French ID card ;)
Thanks so much, Blim! Much appreciated. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

Mael

Btw you forgot both Red Steel, pretty much everything Titus made (there's some quality stuffs besides Superman 64 -_-') and I didn't know about Shaq Fu...

Mistouze

It's so bad it deserved its spot.

I didn't know Superman 64 was French! I'm adding it right now :D
OMG we are responsible for Supes 64! By the way Capcom's upcoming Remember Me is also french.
Btw you forgot both Red Steel, pretty much everything Titus made (there's some quality stuffs besides Superman 64 -_-') and I didn't know about Shaq Fu...
There's also Mr Nutz!

G.O.O.

I'll forgive Computer if he only puts Red Steel 2...

Oh and Zombi U too ! Not enough love :x

I was about to defend Shaq Fu, but then I realized I was thinking of the Michael Jordan game, not the Shaquille O'Neal one ._.

dark10x

Shaq Fu was a Delphine game which was made between Flashback and Fade to Black. :\

Mael

OMG we are responsible for Supes 64! By the way Capcom's upcoming Remember Me is also french.

There's also Mr Nutz!
Mr Nutz!
The butts of jokes for our English speaking friends that never made sense to us!

I'll forgive Computer if he only puts Red Steel 2...

Oh and Zombi U too ! Not enough love :x

I was about to defend Shaq Fu, but then I realized I was thinking of the Michael Jordan game, not the Shaquille O'Neal one ._.

He forgot ZombiU? Come one now!
I didn't know about Dishonored either.

Also for economical articles in French :
Les Echos have a really great site.

Shaq Fu was a Delphine game which was made between Flashback and Fade to Black. :\

Which reminds me :
Alone in the Dark!
All of them

Sad_Panda

I'll be living in Sarreguemines (which is in the Alsace region) come March. A number of people have commented on how unfriendly the area can be, though my first experience there was mostly positive (plenty of nice people around), but I'm still concerned about it.

I'm an American and my wife is French (from Lyon, though) so I'm not sure how things will work out. I'll have to keep tabs on this thread as I'm sure I'll have questions and comments.

Here's hoping for the best!

A friend of mine had to live and work in Sarreguemines for a year and hated it. Rude locals, assholish coworkers, weird accent, nothing to do come nighttime in Sarreguemines itself. However, keep in mind he was 22 and a bit of a geeky shut-in then, so your experience might be entirely different.
Also, if you feel the need to get out of Sarreguemines for a change, you'll only be a stone's throw away from Saarbrücken (Germany), Strasbourg, Metz and Nancy. I'm from Nancy myself, so hit me up if you ever wanna visit.

Mael

I'm adding ZombiU to the list because it's recent, but let's not include too many old/obscure/shitty games.

Come on, Alone in the Dark is neither shitty nor obscure and it's what gave us Resident Evil after all!

Also I know it's hard to be exhaustive given our SUPERIOR CULTURE (haha) but Daniel Balavoine, Jean Jacques Goldman, Michel Berger and Francis Cabrel should be in the singers list ! B)

Seriously we might as well make a separate thread for music because there's really a LOT of stuffs regardless of genre.

dark10x

A friend of mine had to live and work in Sarreguemines for a year and hated it. Rude locals, assholish coworkers, weird accent, nothing to do come nighttime in Sarreguemines itself. However, keep in mind he was 22 and a bit of a geeky shut-in then, so your experience might be entirely different.
Also, if you feel the need to get out of Sarreguemines for a change, you'll only be a stone's throw away from Saarbrücken (Germany), Strasbourg, Metz and Nancy. I'm from Nancy myself, so hit me up if you ever wanna visit.
Cool. I'll keep that in mind.

I've already spent a couple weeks there and enjoyed my time (most people seemed pretty friendly). I'm from Cincinnati, OH in the States so I'm used to living in an area with little to do come night. ;)

We did jump over to Saarbrücken while we were there, though, and there was plenty to do. I was surprised at just how nearby it is. I'm used to jumping in a car to get places so a 15 minute drive is nothing.

Mael

How could I forget that one? I'm adding it to the list.

Also the multiplayer part of Assassin Creed (from II to III...) is made in Annecy by Ubisoft, from what I can tell Montreal don't have that much input on this part.
I'm pushing that one for obvious reasons

Also the multiplayer part of Assassin Creed (from II to III...) is made in Annecy by Ubisoft, from what I can tell Montreal don't have that much input on this part.
I'm pushing that one for obvious reasons
If we're adding games that were only partly made in France the list will become too long and messy (might as well add the entire Ubisoft catalogue).

Mael

If we're adding games that were only partly made in France the list will become too long and messy (might as well add the entire Ubisoft catalogue).

Well yeah but can't blame me for pushing that one :p
and it's nearly it's own game considering it's on a separate disc on 360 and all
but yeah you're right :p

Diamond

Cool. I'll keep that in mind.

I've already spent a couple weeks there and enjoyed my time (most people seemed pretty friendly). I'm from Cincinnati, OH in the States so I'm used to living in an area with little to do come night. ;)

We did jump over to Saarbrücken while we were there, though, and there was plenty to do. I was surprised at just how nearby it is. I'm used to jumping in a car to get places so a 15 minute drive is nothing.

If you and your wife like wine, be sure to hit the Alsacian "Route des vins" when you have some time >>> http://www.alsace-route-des-vins.com/ :)

keuja

But i know where people thinking that are coming from though... Parisians and French in general are less outgoing and friendly with random strangers than in most english speaking countries. (especially if they happen to be non-white sadly)
And they are also more straight forward which can come across as rude for foreigners. Although I think it is less true in the provinces where people are generally more relaxed...

Pas Français mais je parle français.

What i love about French culture is the chicks, house music (they make some very good french house tracks), Iam, french horror movies, Marseilles, Cannes, wine, food...

Sad_Panda

Noticed that La Classe Americaine, a true French cult classic (me and my friends can quote the movie in its entirety), wasn't mentioned among the movies made by Hazanavicius in the OP.

4001180396f0ea4d9990f826d9541245_w350.jpg

I showed it to a couple of non-French speaking American friends (English subtitles can be found online) and was surprised to find out that the humor, save for a few obscure French pop culture references, actually translates very well.

Might I also suggest that Chris Marker and Quentin Dupieux be added to the list of recommended French directors ?

Noticed that La Classe Americaine, a true French cult classic (me and my friends can quote the movie in its entirety), wasn't mentioned among the movies made by Hazanavicius in the OP.

4001180396f0ea4d9990f826d9541245_w350.jpg

I showed it to a couple of non-French speaking American friends (English subtitles can be found online) and was surprised to find out that the humor, save for a few obscure French pop culture references, actually translates very well.

Might I also suggest that Chris Marker and Quentin Dupieux be added to the list of recommended French directors ?
I wouldn't recommend it to foreign audiences, as it barely even makes sense for French people (I know people who don't find the flim funny at all).

Sad_Panda

I wouldn't recommend it to foreign audiences, as it barely even makes sense for French people (I know people who don't find the flim funny at all).

Like I said, I showed it to a couple non-French speakers with half-decent English subtitles and they still had a great time with it, much to my surprise. You never know.

Just to prove your point, no don't do that, because they will actually tell you you are missing a word in your sentence. Proper French:

Comment accorde-t-on le participe passé avec l'auxiliaire avoir ?

Yeah, I know, I am one of them :)

Je me permets d'interrompre ce flim parce qu'on se fout un peu de ma gueule : c'est du vol et du plagiat. J'aime pas trop les voleurs et les fils de pute.

(Et tant qu'on y est: Godard, ok il est mi-français mais où est Truffaut ???!? Et Sautet, Doillon, Carné, Clouzot, Polanski (juste pour faire chier les américains), Demy, Pialat, Chabrol, Eustache, Claire Denis, Bruno Dumont, Arnaud Desplechin, Costa-Gavras, Depardon, Ozon, Rappenau, Resnais, Rochant, Tavernier, Téchiné, Alain Corneau, René Clément, Louis Malle, Jacques Tourneur, et Verneuil et Rohmer et MAX LINDER et VARDA et RENOIR et MAX PECAS ???)

Mistouze

Quebec-GAF : If you never heard of it, go watch Le Grand Détournement :D

Je parie que vous êtes tous super bonnes en strings.

Quebec-GAF : If you never heard of it, go watch Le Grand Détournement :D

Je parie que vous êtes tous super bonnes en strings.
Might as well post the full movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WzFXDffh08

(Et tant qu'on y est: Godard, ok il est mi-français mais où est Truffaut ???!? Et Sautet, Doillon, Carné, Clouzot, Polanski (juste pour faire chier les américains), Demy, Pialat, Chabrol, Eustache, Claire Denis, Bruno Dumont, Arnaud Desplechin, Costa-Gavras, Depardon, Ozon, Rappenau, Resnais, Rochant, Tavernier, Téchiné, Alain Corneau, René Clément, Louis Malle, Jacques Tourneur, et Verneuil et Rohmer et MAX LINDER et VARDA et RENOIR et MAX PECAS ???)
I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Polanski was already in the list.

Top Bottom