• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

danthefan

Just getting around to playing this, about 40% through I think.

Seriously good game so far. Looks incredible, gameplay is great fun, story is interesting. It draws comparisons with Uncharted but I'm certainly preferring it to Uncharted 3 so far.

JawzPause

Someone please tell me this game gets better. I'm about 15% in and I'm forcing myself to keep playing in the hope that it gets better. I don't know if it's because I'm playing this right after completing TLoU but this is a lot weaker than I had heard it to be.

DieH@rd

Banned
Someone please tell me this game gets better. I'm about 15% in and I'm forcing myself to keep playing in the hope that it gets better. I don't know if it's because I'm playing this right after completing TLoU but this is a lot weaker than I had heard it to be.

Yes, it gets better. After radio station story kick in and you will experience several unexpected story twists, upgrade sistem gets more rewarding, you get more weapons, and access to more exploration hubs.

Next Uncharted game NEEDS to get this kinds of hubs.

JawzPause

Yes, it gets better. After radio station story kick in and you will experience several unexpected story twists, upgrade sistem gets more rewarding, you get more weapons, and access to more exploration hubs.

Next Uncharted game NEEDS to get this kinds of hubs.

Thanks for the reply, I just passed the radio station part and it immediately started to pick up. I guess I will give this game another chance.

bidguy

Banned
so this game will be discounted next week on xbl (around 50-75% i think) so is it any good ?
never played uncharted and the last tomb raider game i played was on ps1

so this game will be discounted next week on xbl (around 50-75% i think) so is it any good ?
never played uncharted and the last tomb raider game i played was on ps1
I'm only an hour in to it and it's already blown me the fuck away. Wow. Graphics are incredible. Gripped me from the start.

Nev

Banned
As a huge Uncharted fan, I admit this game had a much better gameplay than all the Uncharted games. Jumps were perfect (not automatic, not super hardcore like in the first Tomb Raider games), the bow was awesome (fire weapons not so much, but there's no real reason to stop using the bow so whatever), the puzzles were decent and there was some real exploration and platforming.

There's a big problem though: the story and characters are the absolute worst. Seriously, everything about it is atrocious, not even remotely close to Uncharted. The characters are one stereotype after another, the story is completely forgettable and the enemies are more than generic. It's hard to believe they went with such awful story and characters, like they ran out of time after finishing the actual game and made them in one week.

Anyways, as this game did, the next Uncharted must take things from here in order to be on par, because you just can't go back to it after playing Tomb Raider. They have to make actual platforming and exploration.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So, I picked this up today (daily deal) and first impressions are:

It's really good looking... but it's missing a first act. Seriously, there's the trailer that we saw before release and then we're thrust into the action. The developers could have atleast taken one que from Half-Life and let us walk around a bit and get to know the characters before all hell breaks lose.

DieH@rd

Banned
Tomb Rader is a part of a Steam summer sale!
-75%
12,49€

It will be up for another 45 hours! Get it!

So, I picked this up today (daily deal) and first impressions are:

It's really good looking... but it's missing a first act. Seriously, there's the trailer that we saw before release and then we're thrust into the action. The developers could have atleast taken one que from Half-Life and let us walk around a bit and get to know the characters before all hell breaks lose.

Backstory is filled during the game, lara will look at her camera and recorded footage before the storm.

bidguy

Banned
Yes, its good. Its one of the best games in 1st half of 2013 [IMO].

I'm only an hour in to it and it's already blown me the fuck away. Wow. Graphics are incredible. Gripped me from the start.

played this for a few days and its amazing. i love the fluid animations and the attention to detail. i dont know how far i am can anybody tell me ?
just got to the helicopter and combined the bow with the lighter
dont want it to end just yet.

DieH@rd

Banned
played this for a few days and its amazing. i love the fluid animations and the attention to detail. i dont know how far i am can anybody tell me ?
just got to the helicopter and combined the bow with the lighter
dont want it to end just yet.

Describe little better where you are, I dont remember exactly just when I got that weapon. But no matter, you are far from the end of the game if you just got that. You have not even reached middle point I think.

bidguy

Banned
Describe little better where you are, I dont remember exactly just when I got that weapon. But no matter, you are far from the end of the game if you just got that. You have not even reached middle point I think.

i think its called shantytown. i dropped down a forest with a parachute and got there.

Trouble

Banned
Picked this up in the Steam sale, loving it so far. $12.49 USD is a steal for this.

I would have probably picked it up for twice the price if there wasn't so much negativity towards this game here on GAF and elsewhere. I have to say, after putting a few hours in, I don't understand that at all.

Things that stick out:

- I really like that the cover system where you just go into cover when appropriate/possible rather than having to hit a button to go into cover.
- Ranged stealth with the bow is good fun.
- I like the tombs (so far at least) being little self-contained platform/puzzle sections.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Backstory is filled during the game, lara will look at her camera and recorded footage before the storm.

I got that much too. Still doesn't mean there's a complete first act and sure as hell doesn't mean any less aweful. Anyway, I'm past that point of actually caring if there was a first act now, I just faced the facts that there isn't any.

One thing that hasn't bothered me is the transition from cute and innocent to headshot murder spree. She actually never felt, to me, that she had problems killing people. It felt like she was trained to feel remorse but realized she didn't really.

Best action-game in a long time for me.

lowbeat

Neo Member
i think its called shantytown. i dropped down a forest with a parachute and got there.

You are around 40% of the main story line.
Also noone mentioned you can get the whole Tomb raider collection for only 17.49Eur, it includes:
Classics: Tomb Raider 1,2,3,4 The last Revelation
-5 Chronicles, 6 The angel of darkness
-Tomb Raider: Legend, Anniversary, Underworld
-Tomb Raider 2013
For those who wanna see some more of Lara, I recommend playing bolded games.

CompleteStealth

Neo Member
You are around 40% of the main story line.
Also noone mentioned you can get the whole Tomb raider collection for only 17.49Eur, it includes:
Classics: Tomb Raider 1,2,3,4 The last Revelation
-5 Chronicles, 6 The angel of darkness
-Tomb Raider: Legend, Anniversary, Underworld
-Tomb Raider 2013
For those who wanna see some more of Lara, I recommend playing bolded games.

TR 3 was good though lol

DieH@rd

Banned
Hey I'm at the part where I just fell into a
river of blood
, am I close to the end? Thanks.

You are nowehere near finished. I'd say you at the halfpoint of the game.

It's been a while since I've played the game, but I think you might still have 2-3 hours ahead of you? I'm pretty rusty honestly, so that may be off.

He still has to
finish the monastery [climbing through the prison, reach her friend, bossfight, escape], travel slowly to coastline [nightfight, network of towers] where you spend a lot of time, and then final slow climb to the temple.

He has at least 5 more hours to go.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, well there you go. I wasn't even close. :p

I just finished TLoU yesterday and it made me want to replay Tomb Raider lol. Funny how that works.

_woLf

Finally beat the game, got 100% too. Such a great game -- although I was one of the few on GAF who never doubted it. Was excited from the day it was announced, and now I can't wait for the sequel. Between this and Bioshock Infinite, two of my most favorite games in a VERY long time have come out in the past few months.

I really hope we get to see more of Jonah and Sam. Reyes was kinda mean so meh to her!

Is the Single Player DLC mission worth picking up?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Single Player DLC mission worth picking up?

I don't think there's any single player DLC mission for this game. If you're talking about the extra tomb, then I wouldn't suggest it since it's just a single puzzle room. I haven't played it, but I've heard it's pretty underwhelming.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't think there's any single player DLC mission for this game. If you're talking about the extra tomb, then I wouldn't suggest it since it's just a single puzzle room. I haven't played it, but I've heard it's pretty underwhelming.

Sadly.... that DLC tomb is the longest and the most complicated one. :-/

bidguy

Banned
its sad that they cant put some costumes in as unlockables, instead they sell them as microtransactions. some of then look cool but i dont want to support that bs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Guys, I'm pretty far into the game (I think... I'm at the Summit Forest,
right after Roth dies
) and had no issues, but just now I've been having massive framerate drops, even during the cut scene. Like the cut scene where
the group gathers for Roth's funeral
skipped a few times, like a badly buffered youtube video.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is my PS3 dying?

nowai

I've had this installed on my computer for a while now and I figured I'd give it a go after my umpteenth play through of Dark Souls.

booted game
played through the intro
...deleted local content

No desire to play a game that starts me off with nothing but QTEs. Shameful.

SmokinDan

I've had this installed on my computer for a while now and I figured I'd give it a go after my umpteenth play through of Dark Souls.

booted game
played through the intro
...deleted local content

The intro is not reflective of the whole game at at all. IIRC it isn't even that long before you get to the game proper.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ To be fair, this game is the anti Dark Souls, I can imagine being turned off by the sheer amount of hand-holding. You're right that the game gets better than the dumb as fuck "cinematic" QTE-infested intro, but it's still a ridiculously shallow game. Still kind of fun, but after Dark Souls it'll seem so pathetic haha.

strafer

booted game
played through the intro
...deleted local content

the fuck

I must say that the game wasn't on my radar at all. I ended up getting it for $1 from target and I must say I'm really impressed with the game. I figured it was going to be like the Uncharted series. After playing 1/3 of the game I'm very impressed and think its better than Uncharted. I really get a metroidvania vibe with the upgrades and being able to revisit old areas to find treasure and hidden items with the new abilities you get. The story, gameplay and graphics all all top notch. I kind of feel bad getting it for such a ridiculous price, it's worth every bit of the $60 price tag.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I must say that the game wasn't on my radar at all. I ended up getting it for $1 from target and I must say I'm really impressed with the game. I figured it was going to be like the Uncharted series. After playing 1/3 of the game I'm very impressed and think its better than Uncharted. I really get a metroidvania vibe with the upgrades and being able to revisit old areas to find treasure and hidden items with the new abilities you get.
Except that those treasures are completely useless except for having a wee bit of "lore", and not even all of them (only the relics and documents). The progression is 100% linear, not Metroidvania at all. In a Metroidvania you'd reach an impasse in an area and revisit another to get an ability to cross that hurdle. The only reason to revisit old areas is to find empty collectibles, not to help with your progress.

The story, gameplay and graphics all all top notch.
The... story? Really? o_O

Except that those treasures are completely useless except for having a wee bit of "lore", and not even all of them (only the relics and documents). The progression is 100% linear, not Metroidvania at all. In a Metroidvania you'd reach an impasse in an area and revisit another to get an ability to cross that hurdle. The only reason to revisit old areas is to find empty collectibles, not to help with your progress.

The... story? Really? o_O

Ok the story is so so, yes it is linear and your also correct in that you don't get anything but empty collectables. I'm really enjoying it and wanted to post my thoughts.

Floex

Just reached the point of no return and have to say I'm glad it's nearly over. Graphically, a standout of this generation. On the other end of the scale, the story and characters are pure hokum though. Lara has about as much personality as a decaying dog without a supporting cast adding to the stench.

When it's great, it's great. The hidden tombs are by far the highlight but are far too small to be of any real enjoyment. These moments are over before they even begin but this is what Tomb Raider should be. Big overworlds, from years gone past. I want to explore long forgotten tribal ruins, not Resi 5 style shanty towns. The set-pieces, while enjoyable, offer zero challenge and less said about QTEs the better. The shooting by the end is just sheer lunacy. The wave after wave of
samurai
, left me completely perplexed. Same thing happened in Uncharted 2, same thing happened here. These games just do not require the amount of shooting developers think people want.

Collectables... they should add something to the game. Why should I go looking for things only to unlock a picture? There is zero incentive to collect long forgotten objects outside of wanting an achievement. Just seems like a total waste of time to me.

The team have created a great platform as a base for greater things. Where they want to take the series now is still up in the air but I just hope they separate themselves from the pack and get away from the onslaught of brainless shooters.

Joe White

Finished the game yesterday with 86% completion and I must say that it was surprisingly good. I would have reviewed is as solid 9/10 game and just by removing couple of annoying QTEs and giving better incentives on the actual Tomb Raiding the game would have my 2013 GOTY candidate. I must admit, that It really helped that I had mentally adjusted to the idea that the game wasn't going to be like the previous Tomb Riders. I had lowered my expectations to "plays like Uncharted" level, but luckily TR was so much better.

Hopefully we're going to get multiple sequels for it.

I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game since the second one, so I didn't really know what to expect from this game. I kind of let the overall GAF negativity seep in, so I wasn't expecting much. I ended up being very pleasantly surprised. While things like the tombs and story were disappointing, the game, for what it was, was very fun. I enjoyed the scenario... And I really have to laugh when people say that this copies Uncharted, when Uncharted copied Tomb Raider to begin with. The atmosphere was top notch and the level design was pretty good... Even though the game itself is linear, the main areas were fairly open to sneak around and explore. The gameplay, while nothing particularly new, seemed smoother then your average TPS. I'm glad I played it and hope the team at Crystal Dynamics is allowed to make a sequel a bit closer in spirit to the originals.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just reached the point of no return and have to say I'm glad it's nearly over. Graphically, a standout of this generation. On the other end of the scale, the story and characters are pure hokum though. Lara has about as much personality as a decaying dog without a supporting cast adding to the stench.

When it's great, it's great. The hidden tombs are by far the highlight but are far too small to be of any real enjoyment. These moments are over before they even begin but this is what Tomb Raider should be. Big overworlds, from years gone past. I want to explore long forgotten tribunal ruins, not Resi 5 style shanty towns. The set-pieces, while enjoyable, offer zero challenge and less said about QTEs the better. The shooting by the end is just sheer lunacy. The wave after wave of
samurai
, left me completely perplexed. Same thing happened in Uncharted 2, same thing happened here. These games just do not require the amount of shooting developers think people want.

Collectables... they should add something to the game. Why should I go looking for things only to unlock a picture? There is zero incentive to collect long forgotten objects outside of wanting an achievement. Just seems like a total waste of time to me.

The team have created a great platform as a base for greater things. Where they want to take the series now is still up in the air but I just hope they separate themselves from the pack and get away from the onslaught of brainless shooters.

Completely agreed on all counts. It was a fun little romp but it had zero depth. "Secret" tombs "out of the main path"? They're always in the main path and they're marked in big white chalk that screams "SECRET TOMB THIS WAY Y'ALL". Puzzles are laughable. And the upgrade systems are useless and without any depth (I had easily maxed out Lara at the end of the game, there is no "build" to choose from), they're completely superficial. And the game is really 100% linear despite its claims of open-world, being able to revisit old locations is nice but ultimately fruitless as it's only for empty collectibles. Somehow it manages to remain slightly fun because the environments are so nice to traverse through and there's an illusion of exploring that works for a while... but there's zero replay value, I'll probably not touch this again.

And yes, Lara is bland as hell. What a shame, for once we have a strong female lead, there was a great opportunity to flesh her out and develop her character and personality, but she has none, and the crew is just as flat.

Uncharted has more depth than this because it doesn't pretend to be something it's not (and its combat was better IMO, having only two weapons meant you needed to choose, here you snipe with the bow from afar and spam shotgun when they rush you, always the same thing). It also has a lot more charm in terms of characters and story because it's self-aware and knows how to laugh at itself.

Full agreement here. They have all the right parts in their kit, so hopefully the next time out they make something better than pablum to justify me-too multiplayer.

Bought Tomb Raider on the PS3 and wow this is much better than I expected.

I’m at the radio tower section and have to fight some big heavily armoured guy at the moment with a shield but I love the big open levels. It makes it see so much bigger than uncharted and the visuals are very impressive.

Only flaw I have is that I’m playing on hard and this is so easy so far, does the game get harder?

Also I have no idea what the story is about so far, it must have gone over my head coz as far as I’m concerned all I’m doing is trying to get off an island.

DieH@rd

Banned

I’m at the radio tower section and have to fight some big heavily armoured guy at the moment with a shield but I love the big open levels. It makes it see so much bigger than uncharted and the visuals are very impressive.

Only flaw I have is that I’m playing on hard and this is so easy so far, does the game get harder?

Also I have no idea what the story is about so far, it must have gone over my head coz as far as I’m concerned all I’m doing is trying to get off an island.

Storyline starts unfold just where you are, just after radio tower. And from there, game gets even better and better. :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The open world is an illusion, the only reason to ever revisit old areas is to pursue pointless collectibles. It's as linear and scripted as Uncharted.

Nope.

Story doesn't get better either (if anything, it gets slightly worse).

Top Bottom